X-men Evolution Fan Fiction ❯ Starting Today ❯ Chapter 21

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

O-o-o-o-O
Rogue lay in her silk on Remy's bed, the conked out Cajun wrapped in a blanket by her side. She used the moment to explore the lines of his face with her clothed fingers; he looked so sweet and relaxed when he slept. She had lain like this for the last hour or so, just relishing the peace of the moment and the time alone with her lover. Lover. Now there was a word she had never thought would be used in relation to herself. She had thought she would always be alone, never to experience the joy of giving herself to another, but Remy had shown her differently. There was so much she felt, so much she wanted to say to him, but all she could do was wait for him to wake up, and swim in the sea of his thoughts and feelings.
She supposed she should be angry with him for doing that, kissing her bare mouth when he had promised that no one would be hurt, but as she experienced his emotions she realized that he wasn't hurt. He had wanted this so desperately, to share himself with her completely, that it was almost hurting him not to do so. A soft voice whispered French words of love in the back of her mind and it soothed her fears to the point where she could no longer be angry with him. It was the gentlest absorption she had ever experienced, and she didn't think she could ever doubt his feelings for her again.
And there was more. Every word he had told her earlier was true. She saw his childhood; growing up with Henri and his cousin Emil in New Orleans, the jokes the three boys played on each other and the adults in the house, Remy looking under his bed waiting for his dust bunnies to evolve, meeting Belladonna as a child and being told of their shared destiny. His memories as a child after being adopted were sweet, and his recollection of them only sharpened the pain of knowing he could never go home again. She saw his pain after realizing he was responsible for Julien's death, the hate in Belladonna's eyes after the broken engagement and being denied her true love because of the death of her brother, his father's sadness as he exiled his son to prevent all out warfare with the Assassins. With the treaty broken in such a fashion there would never be true peace between the Guilds now, but Remy's banishment bought an uneasy truce that was now the best anyone could hope for.
She saw his wandering years: drifting around the world from job to job and woman to woman, burying his emptiness and just existing day to day. She shuddered as she saw his memory of meeting a Dr. Essex and his revulsion of the scientist and his offer. That sinister looking man was now back in Remy's life again, she realized. His worry over what he and Magneto could be discussing as they closeted themselves in Magneto's office day after day or went on secret excursions was a dark undertone to his psyche.
But most of all she saw herself. The desire he felt at their first meeting and hasn't really stopped feeling since, stalking her and Kitty at the mall, his happiness at getting to dance with her all night long at Mardi Gras, the dozens of insults thrown at him that only helped him appreciate her wit and intelligence, the despair he felt seeing her suffer from the betrayal of Irene and Mystique, how useless he felt when her psyches took over, his vow never to be on the sidelines of her life again...
He wants to join the X-men?
O-o-o-o-O
Logan popped his claws. “You've got a hell of a lot of nerve showing your face here, Mystique.”
The blue shape shifter merely sneered at him. “Down boy.” She shouldered her way past him into the foyer. “Charles, aren't there leash laws in this state?”
He snarled and made a step towards her. “I'll shove these claws up your ass and use your bowels to leash you from the ceiling, you blue bitch...”
“LOGAN!” Professor Xavier reprimanded him sharply from his chair on the other side of the room.
The feral mutant muttered something under his breath but made no further moves towards the shape shifter.
Xavier moved further into the room. “Why are you here now, Mystique? It's been two weeks since Rogue's incident.”
She stiffened. “I don't have to explain myself to you Charles. Despite the circumstances, Rogue is still my daughter and I am concerned for her wellbeing. Now where is she?”
“She is not here at the moment; she went to the movies. We expect her back later this evening.”
“You won't mind if I stay here and wait then. I want to see for myself that she's alright.”
Logan growled and Xavier shot him a look. “Actually that probably wouldn't be a good idea. I don't want you upsetting my students with your presence. When Rogue returns I will talk to her and let her decide if she wishes to see you. I'm assuming you can be reached at the Brotherhood House?”
Mystique looked like she wanted to argue but apparently decided it would be wise not to press her luck. “Fine”, she snapped, “I may be reached there. I expect to be contacted soon though.” She turned and headed back towards the door.
Xavier spoke quietly but firmly. “Raven, don't you want to know how your other child is?”
She paused with her hand on the doorknob. “I gave up any right to parental concern regarding him a long time ago Charles, you know that. Besides, I know he is well.” And sparing a last look of disgust at Logan, she left, not quite slamming the door behind her.
Logan turned to the Professor. “She's got no right thinking she can just waltz in here and demand to see Rogue after what she's done. What kind of mother uses her own children the way she has?”
Xavier sighed. “No matter what we think, she is still their mother. Ultimately the decision to talk to her or not will be Rogue's. We'll discuss it further when she comes home.” He left the room leaving Wolverine wishing he'd cut the bitch a new asshole when she'd first walked in.
O-o-o-o-O
It had to be another dream. Gentle, silk-covered fingers caressed his face, and he could make out her breathing nearby. The faint smell of sex mixed with her normal sweet fragrance teased his nostrils and he stirred, not wanting to wake up. If he didn't wake up he could pretend that she was here and that he was lying in her arms after having just made love to his belle femme. He was so tired of waking up alone.
If this was a dream though, why were her hands covered?
Remy took a chance and slowly opened his eyes to see Rogue's beautiful face on the pillow next to him. It was real then. He sighed in relief and smiled. “Was I out for long?”
“Only for about an hour.” She scowled at him, but he could tell she didn't really mean it. “I should knock you upside the head for pulling a stunt like that, but I just can't.” Her face relaxed. “I saw, Remy. I saw everything.”
“I know Chere. I wanted you to.”
“Don't you think you could have just told me?”
“Yes, but it wouldn't be the same. I didn't want you to have any doubts that I was holding anything back from you.” He paused and smirked. “Besides, how could I pass up a chance to kiss you?”
Rogue sighed and rolled her eyes. “The next time you want to tell me something Swamp Rat, just tell me. I promise I'll believe you.”
“You will?”
“Yes. I trust you, as if that wasn't obvious by now.”
“Well maybe you just wanted this Cajun for his beautiful body and his sexy eyes...”
She grinned. “Well, there is that.” She pulled the blanket up over Remy's chest and laid her head down on it, snuggling against him comfortably. He wrapped his arms around her, making her feel safe and happy.
“Remy, I saw that the Professor offered you a place with the X-men. Why didn't you accept it? I know now that you want to leave Magneto.”
He shifted, holding her a little closer. “Do you really think they'd just up and trust me, Rogue? I know what happened when Avalanche tried to join and I don't want us to have to go through any grief by having your boyfriend be public enemy #1 at the mansion.”
She smiled at him a little. “Are you really my boyfriend?”
“You really doubted it? You're mine now, and I'm yours; this boy's never letting you go.”
“Just checking to make sure we were on the same wavelength. I have your thoughts but it's nice to hear things out in the open once in awhile.”
“Then hear it Chere. Just you and me girl; that's it, the way it's supposed to be. “
She smiled and kissed him through the silk. “I hear you. That's how I want it too. Now about the X-men...”
“I want to prove myself Rogue. I know you trust me, and I have the feeling that Xavier would trust me, but I think I'm going to have to earn the trust of the others; prove that I don't want to work for Magneto anymore. Him and Essex; I've got a real bad vibe about this. Mags has never been so close- mouthed with us before about what his plans are; it would be best if there was someone on the inside to find out what's going on.”
“I think we should talk to the Professor about this, Remy. You're going to need help if things go as badly as you think they might.”
“I don't know; Essex is a telepath...”
“You're forgetting that the Professor is the strongest telepath in the world. I can talk to him first though, and see if he would agree to see you without telling the others. He trusted me Remy; I know he'll trust you too.”
He sighed and stroked her hair. “Alright petite; talk to Xavier. I hope he can help.”
“I'm sure he can, Remy.” She shifted and sat up, the silk starting to slide off of her shoulders. “I've got to take a shower and go home; it's starting to get late.”
Remy pouted. “But…..but….., you'd deprive me of the joy of waking up in your arms?”
Rogue laughed and swatted at him. “You've already woken up in my arms once Cajun. If I don't get home soon there may not be a second time.”
He sighed. “Okay then, leave me if you must. Do you need any help washing your back though?” He waggled his eyebrows at her suggestively.
She climbed out of the bed and escaped to the bathroom. “If you do that I'll never get home. Besides, the idea is to make sure I don't go back smelling like swamp rat. Maybe another time though.”
Remy pouted again and collapsed back against the pillows. “You never let me have any fun.”
It was almost midnight when Rogue got home; the others had already returned from their various outings and gone to bed. The Professor and Logan were in the Rec Room waiting for her when she came back. Logan's eyes narrowed. “What are you doing back so late, Rogue? The movie should have ended hours ago.”
“I went to the coffee house for awhile afterwards. It was poetry night.” He sniffed for a second but didn't say anything. Rogue turned to Xavier. “Can I talk to you alone for a minute? It's kind of private.”
He nodded and turned to head for his office. “Actually I need to talk to you too Rogue. Come with me.”
She followed after him, leaving Logan to check the security alarm and do his late night rounds. She closed the door to the Professor's office behind her and sat down in one of the chairs in front of his desk.
“What did you need to talk to me about, Professor?” She was slightly nervous. What if he already knew about where she had been tonight and what she had been doing?
“Well, while you were gone tonight, we had a visitor. Your mother came to the mansion, Rogue. She wants to see you.”
A hateful glare came over Rogue's face. “Don't you dare call that woman my mother. What the hell was she doing here?”
O-o-o-o-O