X-men Evolution Fan Fiction ❯ Starting Today ❯ Chapter 23

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

O-o-o-o-O
If there was anyplace she liked being at better than the mall, Kitty couldn't think of what it was. All of her favorite stores under one roof. And annoying her roommate made it even better. Some people may call it living dangerously, but any excuse to get under Rogue's skin was a good excuse. It wasn't that she hated her roommate; on the contrary, she considered the moody Goth to be one of her best friends. She just figured that with the way Rogue tried to avoid people, getting any kind of reaction out of her was a good thing. Today their mission was to get a new alarm clock as Rogue had blown hers up again that morning. Despite the almost incessant training sessions with Wolverine, she still didn't have complete control over her borrowed powers, and accidents have happened. Kitty still didn't quite believe Rogue when she said that phasing her favorite cookbook into the wall was an accident though. She'd been taping her favorite culinary show, “Cooking With Clarice”, and felt that her cooking had improved greatly, but some people just had no taste.
Along with the alarm clock, she also wanted to look at swimsuits. The pool was going to be opened soon, and she wanted a blue suit to match her fuzzy blue boyfriend when they went swimming together. They'd been going out for a few weeks now, and she couldn't be happier. Kurt was such a better match for her than Lance had been. He was sweet, funny, courteous, and didn't work for Mystique.
She was giving her roommate the details of their latest date when they heard a smooth voice behind them.
Bon jour petites. This mall is quite the place, non? Remy come here and find just what he was looking for, two pretty ladies.”
Turning around she saw the tall figure of Gambit standing behind them. Kitty tried to stifle a giggle as she watched her roommate's face turn red. The Acolyte had been chasing Rogue for a few weeks now, popping up all over the place and laying his charm on her. Rogue didn't seem to be falling for it though. She couldn't understand why; sure the guy worked for Magneto, but he was drop dead gorgeous. And that accent. Yum! Kitty wouldn't mind going for him herself, if she wasn't already head over heels for Kurt. She thought it was a shame that Rogue wouldn't have anything to do with Gambit; she thought the guy might really like her.
Rogue turned to Gambit with her usual scowl on her face. “What the hell are YOU doing here Swamp Rat?”
Gambit gave an adorable pout. “Chere, this is a public place, non? Remy has just as much right to be here as you do. He was just doing some shopping when he saw your beautiful face and just had to stop and say hello.”
If anything Rogue's scowl got deeper. “Well you've said hello now go away. We don't want to talk to you.”
Kitty grinned. This was too much fun. “Like speak for yourself Rogue. I don't mind talking to him.”
Her roommate gave her a look that clearly said “Later for you, wench”
Gambit winked at Kitty. “See, the petite here don't mind talking to Remy. She seems to have good taste in men. Remy don't know what your problem is.” He took Kitty's hand and kissed it. “Would you and your tres belle ami here care to come and have a snack with Remy?”
Before Kitty could respond Rogue grabbed her hand and tried to pull her away. “No, she doesn't want to go anywhere with you, and neither do I. Now why don't you just crawl back under that rock you came from before you get hurt.”
Gambit made to touch Rogue's hair but she smacked his hand away. “Chere, you wound Remy. He was just trying to be nice.”
“I will wound you in a minute if you don't leave us alone.”
He gave a sigh, then smirked. “Your wish is Remy's command. That's okay though, Remy knows you'll come around.”
Rogue snorted. “Hold your breath Swamp Rat, and I'll think about it. Let's go Kitty.” And with that Kitty was dragged off in the other direction.
“Rogue, I don't understand why you don't like at least talk to the guy. I think he likes you.”
“If you haven't forgotten Kitty, he works for Buckethead. Besides, he's obviously a player. He probably just wants to play games. Well I don't play those kinds of games. The boy's got trouble written all over him.”
“But...”
“Kitty if you don't drop it I'm gonna port you into the next county, got it?”
Kitty sighed and decided to keep up her mouth shut. Annoying her roommate was one thing; self-preservation was another.
O-o-o-o-O
Remy smiled to himself as he made his way back through the mall. This was just too easy. His Rogue had done a nice job of putting him down today. Maybe he should find her a present.
O-o-o-o-O
Later that day Rogue was walking back to the institute by herself. Kitty had met up with Jubilee and Rahne and the girls had decided to see a movie. Rogue had declined as she had no desire to see “Ella Enchanted”. The film just sounded way too girly for her tastes.
Smiling to herself as she remembered the scene earlier, she took out the note that Remy had managed to slip into the pocket of her jeans. She knew the boy was good with his hands down girl, not now but she just couldn't figure out how he managed to pull off stunts like that. What Remy liked to call “Operation Bag Mags” was going smoothly but slowly. Doors locked by the Master of Magnetism were notoriously difficult to break into, and Sabertooth hanging around all the time didn't help. As a result, information was in short supply. Rogue opened the note and reread it.
Chere,
Mags and his friend are going out of town for a while. I overheard them say something about a lab they're building. Maybe you could give a hand with a door? Come out to the coffee house tonight.
Je'taime,
Remy
Coffee house, eh? She could do that. She was almost having fun with this little game they were playing. Having him flirt and annoy her in public gave her an excuse to see him and an excuse for her to have Remy's scent around in case Logan goes sniffing. All these extra training sessions were making it hard for her to sneak out and see Remy, so she enjoyed every chance she got to see him, even if he was acting like a dork when they met in public. It was working, too. After the first couple of times he'd accosted her out in the open, Kitty had gleefully told the rest of the mansion that her roommate had an admirer. And Rogue had made it very clear how much she hated the attention and the person paying it to her. What she really hated though was having to blow him off when she'd rather show him off.
Time to get rid of the evidence though. She kind of felt like she was on Mission: Impossible as she crumpled up the noted and started charging it with Remy's power. This message will self destruct in five seconds She then threw it into an alley as she passed it by and heard a small explosion.
“So it's true then. You can control the powers you've absorbed.”
Rogue spun around in surprise. There coming out of the alley she had just passed was Mommy Dearest, as big as life and twice as bitchy. “You've got a lot of nerve, Mystique , coming to see me after what you've done.”
“Rogue, listen to me, it's not what you think. I was merely trying to be close to you...”
“You LIE!! You needed a way to spy on the X-men and you USED me!” Rogue dove at the shape shifter, who backed into the alley to evade her daughter's attack.
“It's not that simple Rogue! “, Mystique panted as she defended herself against a furious Rogue. “Yes I had multiple motives, but can you blame a mother for wanting to see her child?”
“Enough! I'm not going to listen to you. Why didn't you just throw me off a bridge like you did your other child? Maybe I would have had a better chance then. Better that then to grow up being lied to by you and Irene. I was a fool to ever believe she loved me.” Rogue got a punch in that sounded like it almost cracked Mystique's jaw.
The blue-skinned mutant winced in pain and backed off, still not attacking. “She does love you Rogue. Very much. You are as much her daughter as you are mine.”
“Great, “she drawled. “I can see the book now. `Rogue Has Two Mutant Terrorist Mommies'. If she loved me she would have told me the truth. And where is Irene, anyway? She hasn't answered my letters and the number in Caldecott is disconnected.”
Mystique leaned against the wall, cradling her jaw. Rogue idly wondered what color bruises were on blue mutants. “She's here in Bayville. There was no reason for her to stay in Mississippi any longer after you left. She's missed you greatly.”
“I'm so sure. That's why I haven't heard a word from her in months, huh?”
“Would you have listened to her, now that you know the truth?”
“I guess we'll never know now, will we? What I do know is that I'm done with both of you. You can rot in hell for all I care.”
Mystique took a step forward and reached her hand out. “Don't do this Rogue. You can't just give up on your family.”
Rogue spat in her face. “You? You were never my family. Irene was my family, but she betrayed me. Kurt and the X-men are all the family I need now. And speaking of Kurt; you just stay the hell away from my brother. If I catch you trying to pull any of this shit with him I swear you'll regret it.” She turned her back on Mystique and started walking out of the alley. “Goodbye, Mother .”
Mystique just sank back against the wall, feeling tired and bruised, a single tear rolling down her face. I'm so sorry, little one.
O-o-o-o-O
Rogue entered The Pour House that evening to find Remy settled on their usual couch, a hot cup of coffee waiting for her. She smiled and sat down next to him, taking the cup from him. “Were you waiting long?”
Remy shrugged. “Not too long. Being a mutant comes in handy though.”
She grinned. “My own personal coffee warmer.”
Leaning over to her ear, he whispered “Considering I get you as my own personal bed warmer, I think it's a good trade, don't you?”
Rogue blushed and sipped at her coffee; feeling warm all over and not just from the beverage. He noticed her reaction and nipped her ear with his teeth, dropping his voice a little. “I was reading a chapter from Pyro's current book and he had this shower scene in there that just made me think of you. Can't you just picture it now, the hot water sliding off our skin, our bodies pressed tight against the wall, me slipping deep inside you...”
Rogue bit back a moan and pushed him away, almost spilling her coffee in the progress. “Stop that Remy. You're cruel, you know that?”
He leaned back into the couch, a seductive smirk on his face. “Oui Chere, I know. I just don't want to suffer alone though.”
“I'll show you suffering.” She muttered under her breath.
“Please?”
Rogue laughed a little, having a hard time staying mad at him. “Anyone ever tell you you're a masochist?”
“Only for the right woman.”
She shook her head slowly and went back to sipping her coffee. “So what's this business about a trip?”
“All I know is he and the doctor are having a lab built somewhere out of town. He don't say where, and seeing as how he always flies himself via Pinball Airlines, can't exactly track his flight. He's taking Sabby with him, so I figure it's a good opportunity to try getting into his office. I'll have a better chance of getting in though if I have someone with me who can open it the way he does, non?”
“Which is where I come in.”
Oui. I don't like the idea of getting you involved further, but it looks like that's the only way I'll get in there.”
“I'm sure I'll be okay. I'll have you with me, won't I?” She took one of his hands and gave it a squeeze. “So when do you want to do this?”
“I'll have to find out what John and Piotr will be up to while Mags is gone. I'll let you know as soon as I can though.” He smiled and whispered in her ear again. “Come back to my place for a little while, Rogue? It feels like it's been forever.”
Rogue blushed. “You always say that Remy. It hasn't even been a week since I was over last.”
“True, but time goes so slow when you're not in my arms.”
“Okay, but let me finish my coffee first.”
“Sadist.”
“Yeah, but you seem to love it.”
“You know it, Chere.”