X-men Evolution Fan Fiction ❯ Starting Today ❯ Chapter 28

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Remy woke with the dawn and entertained himself by admiring the way the sun shone on Rogue's hair. He loved the way she looked so relaxed as she slept, and even more that he was one of the few people that got to see her this way. He had slept so well last night, like he hadn't slept in a long time; he wanted to wake up every morning this way, but he figured he could do that soon enough, if everything went well. For now though he would just enjoy the time he had, and let the future take care of itself. He took his right index finger and placed it near her face, close enough to her skin that he could feel the heat of her body but still not be touching, and ever so carefully traced the curve of her cheek. Rogue began to stir and he quickly took his finger away. She opened a sleepy eye and gazed at him.
"Remy what are you doing?"
He gave her an innocent look. "Moi? I'm doing nothing, Cherie."
She snorted softly. "Don't give me that innocent look. Every time you do that it means you're up to something."
Remy relaxed on the pillow and looked at her fondly. "Perhaps I was just wondering how I got lucky enough to wake up to such a beautiful fille in my bed."
Rogue lifted up one corner of her mouth in a smile and gave a little laugh. "You're too much sometimes, Swamp Rat."
"I doubt I could ever be too much for you to handle though Cherie", he said, and dropped a kiss on her hair before climbing out of bed.
"Where are you going?"
"I need to get that film developed from last night. Why don't you go back to sleep? I'll only be gone about an hour or two."
"I will, but I need to call the Professor first and find out what he's telling the others about last night. It would be good if our stories matched."
"Hmm......good point." Remy went in the bathroom and he could hear her faintly talking in the other room as he shaved. By the time he came back out and got dressed she was off the phone already.
"Well, what did he say?"
"He was getting ready to talk to the others. He's basically just going to say that she died in a fight with Sabertooth and that Irene had called him with the info. He won't tell them about either of us being there, of course. He said I could come back to the mansion whenever I was ready to."
"Okay, good. Now you get some rest Cherie, and I will be back before you know it." Remy gave her a hug and watched her crawl back under before heading out the door.
O-o-o-o-O
Charles Xavier sat back in his wheelchair with his eyes closed, having called Kurt to his office a minute or two ago. Duties like this are never easy; I don't think it would seem right if they were though.
A moment later the blue teleporter bamfed into his office in a puff of smoke. "Yes Professor, you wanted to see me?"
"Please Kurt, have a seat."
"Okay." He shrugged and sat down.
Such a good natured boy. He hated having to do this.
"Unfortunately I have some bad news. Irene Adler called me last night. I don't know all the details, but apparently your mother Raven was in a fight with Sabertooth and didn't survive her injuries. I'm very sorry Kurt."
Kurt just sat there for a moment, staring at him in shock. "What......you........this isn't some joke, right?........no, you don't joke........" He covered his face with his hands for a second then looked up again. "Irene. That's Rogue's guardian, right? Where's my sister?"
"She's alright, but she was understandably upset about this and wanted to stay with Miss Adler a while longer. She will be back here later today."
Kurt nodded numbly, then stood up. "Professor, thank you for telling me. I think I'd like to go to my room now."
"I understand Kurt. Go ahead. I'm going to make an announcement to the rest of the students now, but I wanted to give you the news privately first."
"Thank you." He nodded again and bamfed out of the room.
I'm so sorry Kurt; I wish I could tell you everything. Would you be proud of your mother, that her final act was to save your sister? Xavier sighed and sent a telepathic message to everyone in the mansion.
Everyone please report to my office for an announcement
O-o-o-o-O
Kurt sat on his bed, trying to digest the news he had just heard. His mother was dead. No, his mother was alive and well in Germany, but the woman who had given birth to him was dead. He had never really known Raven Darkholme, but he had hoped for an opportunity to get to know her. Ever since Rogue's nightmares, he had hoped that Raven would be able to answer the questions he had about his past. Had he been born this way? Had he been experimented on? What really happened on that bridge? Did she miss him? Like every adopted child, he needed to know if she had truly wanted him or if he was only a mistake. His parents in Germany loved him deeply and he loved them, but these questions had always lain deep inside and now they would never be answered.
Ever the optimist, he had also hoped that by connecting with Raven as family he and Rogue might help her see the error of her ways. He believed that everyone had some good in them; it just took some people longer than others to bring it out. But it was too late now.
Months ago, if someone had told him that he would be crying over the death of Mystique, he would have said they were crazy. But not anymore. Before too long had passed, the fur around his eyes was damp and his nose felt like it was going to run. Why was he crying? It wasn't like she was really his mother; she hadn't been around for him, or raised him or anything. She had been his enemy; he hadn't even liked her. He had wanted a chance to like her though, he realized. To see beyond Mystique and find out who Raven Darkholme was. The woman who had given birth to a blue elf and adopted a little girl in Mississippi. Could he have grown to love her, consider her a mother? He wanted to think so.
Unable to do anything else, he lay back on the pillow and abandoned himself to his tears.
O-o-o-o-O
Rogue woke a couple of hours later to a whisper in her ear. "Wakey wakey Roguey" She stirred and swatted at the face near her ear.
"mmmph......go away."
"Non.......you've slept enough Cherie. Time to get up now. Besides, I have breakfast for you. Yummy bagels and cream cheese."
"mmmmmm........I'm up, I'm up........" Rogue smiled and opened her eyes. She was a sucker for bagels and cream cheese. She sat up and looked around. "So where is it?"
"In the kitchen of course. I don't want crumbs in my bed."
"Spoilsport." She pouted then climbed out of bed and made her way to the kitchen to feast on her treat. She bit into the bagel with a happy sigh and heard a laugh from the doorway. "What's so funny, Swamp Rat?"
"You, Cherie. You're so easy to please."
"Hmm....maybe I should make it a little harder on you then.", she said with a smirk.
"Non, I love you just the way you are."
"Isn't that a song?"
"Oui, a rather bad one too, if I remember correctly.", he said with a shudder.
She laughed and finished her bagel. "Well, I suppose I should get back to the mansion. They're probably wondering where I am." She sobered with this line of thinking.
He nodded. "I've gotten the film developed and ready for you to take to Xavier." He held up an envelope that had been lying on the counter.
She went into the bedroom and got dressed, then returned a few minutes later with her overnight bag packed. She took the envelope from Remy and tucked it into her bag, then gave him a hug. "I'll talk to you later."
Remy kissed the side of her head through her hair. "Je t'aime Rogue."
"Je t'aime aussi Remy."
When she got back to the mansion she didn't really feel like running into anyone so she bamfed straight into the Professor's office. Thankfully he was alone.
"Hey Professor."
"Hello Rogue. You know, you're getting almost as bad as Kurt is about not knocking." He said with a hint of a smile.
"Sorry about that", she replied, a little sheepishly. "I didn't feel like bumping into anyone though. Have you already told everyone what happened?"
"Yes. Sadly I think the attitude was more 'good riddance' than anything else."
"How is Kurt?"
"I think he's a little in shock. Last I knew he was in his room. You may want to go talk to him."
Rogue nodded. "I'll do that. Remy and I were able to get info at that lab last night. You'll want to see this." She took out the envelope from her overnight bag and gave it to the Professor. He took a few minutes to read over the info, and shook his head sadly. "Erik, what on earth are you trying to do?" he said to himself. He looked at Rogue. "With Sabertooth having been suspicious of Remy, there's always the possibility that Essex read his mind. He could be scanning us. I can't take the risk of letting the others know what's going on until the last minute. The same goes for warning the Morlocks; unfortunately none of them are telepaths. At least we know what we're up against now. I want to thank you Rogue; you and Remy have done an excellent job so far."
"Thanks Professor. I can't help but worry though. I just have a feeling that something's going to go wrong."
"I have the utmost faith that whatever happens, you will be able to handle it. Why don't you go on and see your brother now?"
"Okay, I'll do that. Bye Professor." With that she bamfed out of Xavier's office and into Kurt's room. She waved her hand in front of her face, trying to clear away the smoke. Blech, I don't know how he does this on a regular basis. Kurt was lying on his bed. It looked like he had been crying. He didn't even look up at the sound of her entrance.
"Kurt?" He didn't move.
She tried again. "Come on Fuzzy, talk to me." She sat down on the bed next to him, and laid a hand on his shoulder. This time he looked at her, and she could see the tears in his eyes.
"Is......is she really.....gone, Rogue?"
Rogue sighed. "Yes, she is. I was there at Irene's with her when it happened. She....she told me she loved us, and that she was sorry. She wanted to make sure that I told you."
"Oh. I hoped maybe it was some kind of mistake, but since you were there........"
"No, no mistake. I only wish it was. I'm so sorry Kurt." She wrapped her arms around him and rested her head on his shoulder. He kissed her hair and hugged her back.
"What do we do now, sister?"
"Irene and I made up, so I still have her; you still have your parents in Germany, and we still have each other. You were right before; we can be family without her, just the two of us. She made us family, and we can always be thankful to her for that, but we need to go on now."
"What will be done for services?"
"I'm not sure. Irene is executor of Raven's estate, I'd have to ask her what she has planned."
"Maybe we could ask the Professor to have her buried at the Institute?"
"That's not a bad idea. We could talk to him later and see what he says." By this time Rogue had moved into a sitting position and had Kurt's head in her lap. He was starting to sound a little sleepy. "You sound tired Kurt. Do you want to take a nap?"
"Yah, that sounds good. I don't want to move though. Will you stay with me?"
Rogue smiled. "Yeah, I can do that." She adjusted herself so she was more comfortable. "Sleep well Kurt."
"You too sister."
O-o-o-o-O
Essex was reviewing the security cameras of the lab from the night before. Erik didn't consider it an issue since the building was not in use yet, but Essex believed that one could never be too careful. He made a habit of scanning the Acolytes and ever since Creed had started being suspicious of LeBeau he had paid more attention to the security cameras, waiting for the inevitable. And there it was.
Right through a wall walked LeBeau and a young woman that Essex recognized from Erik's files as being one of the X-Men. Power thief, if he remembered correctly. Such an interesting ability, so many uses it could put to. Yes, she'd be a nice toy to play with, but LeBeau was the main one he wanted. He'd been annoyed when the young man had turned down his offer years ago, and now fate was dropping him right into his lap. Erik had given him free reign to do as he wanted with the Morlocks, as long as he got stronger soldiers as a result; he never said he couldn't tinker with the Acolytes. Essex had plans for young LeBeau, oh yes he did.
O-o-o-o-O