X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ That Bind ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Kurt gazed at the figure before him and hesitantly took a step forward. Rogue was standing on the dock of the lake, shoulders shaking in silent tears. Glancing down, he turned off his image inducer, knowing that-for some reason-it put his sister more at ease. Still, when his eyes returned to her solitary silhouette, he wasn't sure he should intrude. Rogue hated being vulnerable, but hated having someone witness it even more. Really, he should probably just return to the mansion and forget he even saw her out there.
 
But, he'd never seen her cry before.
 
Sighing, he turned to go, not wanting her to feel trapped. He halted abruptly when she collapsed into heart wrenching sobs.
 
Decision made, Kurt was beside her in an instant, scooping her up and sitting with her cradled in his arms. Rogue gasped out a dry heave and clung to him as if she were breaking.
 
“Shush, my sister. I'm here, I'm not leaving.”
 
He sat with her until she had quieted some. At some point, he had begun rocking her and stroking her hair as if she was a small child. Kurt stared out at the darkening lake, a maelstrom of emotions welling inside him. On one hand, he felt heartbroken for his sister and a fierce protectiveness for the fragile girl. On the other, he was proud and happy that she had let him comfort her and see her like this. Perhaps they really could be a family.
 
Rogue shifted against him, drawing his attention. Kurt looked at her to find her staring unfocused at the lake.
 
“Would…do you maybe want to talk?” He asked her quietly. His tail flicked impatiently and curled around her arm. There was a fragility about his sister that most people didn't see. Kurt recognized it immediately. He saw it in the mirror every morning.
 
Rogue shuddered and wiped the remaining tears from her face. “Sometimes, sometimes I just w-wish so much that,” here she stopped, seeming to remember herself.
 
Seeing her defenses going back up, Kurt squeezed her gently. “What do you wish?”
 
Clenching her eyes, Rogue whispered, “I wish I was never born.”
 
Kurt's frowned deepened as shadows crept across his face. “I know.”
 
Rogue opened her eyes and met his. “I'm never going to be able to touch. If they were capable of finding a cure, they would have found one by now.”
 
“You don't know that, Rogue. They'll find something. One day we'll both be normal, yeah?”
 
Gripping his hand in her own gloved one, Rogue shook her head. “You're perfect like you are, Kurt. Even if they do find something to make you look more homo sapien, you wouldn't be you.”
 
“Rogue, you know I would take it. If Dr. McCoy or the Professor finds something for me, I'm taking it. I'd be able to go places without having to worry about my inducer malfunctioning and starting a riot. I'd be able to date without wondering if she will freak out when I tell her. I'd get to be normal.”
 
His sister shook her head. “But, why? You'd loose an essential part of you in the process.”
 
Kurt rolled his eyes. “I want the same thing you want, Rogue. I want a real life.”
 
Rogue smiled faintly. “I want to disappear.”
 
Sighing, Kurt let the subject drop and simply stayed with his sister. Eventually, though, he had to ask. “What happened today?”
 
Rogue sat up and pulled away from him. “Nothing, really. Just life, I guess. Sometimes it just gets to me.”
 
Nodding, Kurt understood. “Yes, but we're a team, now. We can take it.”
 
A genuine, though small, smile washed over Rogue's face. “I've never been one to argue with elves.”
 
Kurt grinned and leaned back on his hands. Together the two watched as the sun set, for once, almost…nearly…happy.