X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ X-Static ❯ Proud Mary ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The characters and situations belong to Marvel, the chapter titles are songs by Creedence Clearwater Revival. I don't own anything but the small plot bunnies and the OCs that will pop up every now and then.


Chapter I: Proud Mary


It was a humid May day in a little city south of Brunswick Georgia, one of twenty hot days so far. It was nothing to the Cajun thief, who was resting quite peacefully underneath a willow tree. Obstructing the sun's rays and their attempt to irritate everyone within the area. Or at least, that's what Logan was sure they were trying to do. The Canadian growled at the endless blue sky, as if it would help.

"Hey Gumbo, get off your lazy ass and help me paint this damn school." he growled throwing a paint brush at Gambit. They had arrived last month to help set up the newest 'Xavier institute for the gifted'. At the time, taking a break from New York seemed to be a good idea. No one seemed it necessary to tell him that it would be the most humid and hot month he would ever spend in his entire life. Being able to smell everybody's response to the humidity wasn't very pleasant either.

"Relax, mon ami. It ain't like we have anything else to do." Remy smirked. His red on black eyes were hidden behind dark shades, his hair was tied back into a lazy ponytail. The thing that really bothered Logan was that the Cajun still sported his trench coat. Even in the unholy heat.

"Shut up and paint, Cajun. The sooner we finish getting this place on it's feet, the sooner we can get out of this hellhole." the elder growled. He contemplated calling some of the other X-Men who had accompanied the two to Georgia, to come help them finish painting. But, Hank had horrible allergies and was confined to bed after he sneezed a hunk of blue fur and snot onto the new carpet, Storm and Betsy were out recruiting, and Bobby was useless with manual labor.

"I take it da weather isn't agreeing wit' you," drawled Gambit as he retrieved his paintbrush and proceeded to paint the new building. "Gambit was thinkin' 'bout staying here to help wit' da new recruits." he said conversationally.

"That's because your crazy, Bub." he grunted. Logan turned to grab his previously opened beer to find it was sadly empty. "Damn." he sighed looking out across the school's back yard. It was not as big as the yard in New York but it was sure as hell pretty. A variety of trees were scattered across the grass field. It was cut off by a fast running creek which let out into a pond on the other side of the property. A dirt road led from the front parking lot all the way to the main highway two miles away.

"Hey, do you think we got a chance at finishing dis tonight?" the Cajun asked boredly. He hadn't planned on spending all of his time painting.

"If you'd move your ass, we could finish in two hours."

"Always in a rush." Gambit sighed rolling his eyes.

A few hours passed uneventfully, painting and arguing could only get so exciting. But, finally they were done. Both men were worse for wear, it turns out during one of there little arguments about pool paint was used to accent a point. When a black truck pulled into the parking lot, Orroro and Betsy found Logan drinking a beer and Remy smoking a cigarette. Both were covered in white paint.

"Jeez, what happened to you two? Did you even get any on the school?" Psylocke laughed at her male teammates.

"Gumbo here's in denial."

"I don' cheat."

"I see," the would-be goddess smirked. She opened the back door of the vehicle and helped a young woman out of the seat. "Logan, Remy, this is Cody. She's a new student here at the school." Storm introduced. The girl looked to be about fourteen, she had long dark brown hair (worn in a bun) and yellow green eyes. She wore a white t-shirt and jeans with a gray jacket tied around her waist.

"Let Remy help you wit' your bags fille." Gambit smiled, kissing the back of the girl’s hand. She flushed a bright shade of red and said nothing as he retrieved her luggage. Logan just sat there and rolled his eyes.

As the four of them retreated inside the house, Logan stalked around to the side where the garage was found. He decided he would pass the rest of the day working on his bike. When he entered the garage however, his cell phone rang. "Damn contraption." he growled. He had carried it around with him ever since Jubilee made him buy it.

"Hello?" a voice said on the line.

"Hey, Chuck."

"Ah, Logan I'm glad I could get a hold of you. I have some bad news," the professor started.

"What is it?"

"I'm afraid Bishop and Joseph will not be able to make it to Georgia before the school term starts." The Prof. sighed. Bishop and Joseph were supposed to replace Gambit and Logan to teach at the school.

"Well what do you want me to do about it?" Logan growled. He didn't like where the conversation was going.

"I want you and Gambit to teach the students in Georgia.

393939393939393939939393939393939399339939393993939393939 393939393993939393939393939

Cliffhangerish sort of. Well I hope you liked it, and please review!