Xena Fan Fiction ❯ Telling the Family ❯ Teling the Family Part one ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

AN/Disclaimer: AU obviously. I don't own them. I'm also not going to attempt that French accent thing that Jayce does. Just assume he's talking that way.
Pairings: A/J, pre C/S, and I'll pair the other triplets with.
 
Telling the Family
 
The King of Assassins slipped into the alley behind a building and made his way down the street. Just around the corner he entered another building and made his way to a room on the second floor. He quickly changed his work clothes for some well worn travel leathers. The other clothes were put into a bag and shoved to the bottom of his travel pack. Once back on the street he headed back the way he had come heading towards the city gates. There was no way it could be connected to him and he should be well away by the time the body was found.
 
Jett congratulated himself on another good job as he exited the city and started off towards Corinth. As he walked he realized it had been a while since he saw his brothers. He thought he remembered Jayce saying that he had a play starting in Corinth soon. That would be a good way to relax. After that maybe he could talk him into tracking down their baby brother and having a good visit. That decided he picked up his pace. He should be able to be in Corinth in two days if he hurried.
 
AJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJ
 
“Yes. Thank you it was a wonderful performance for all of us. I'll see everyone at the evening performance tomorrow.” Jayce closed the door and leaned his forehead against it. He needed a vacation. Maybe after this play was through he'd try to find his brothers. He'd heard that Xena was in the area and his youngest brother was a friend of hers. Hopefully she would know how to get in touch with him, if he wasn't with her that is.
 
“Getting sloppy little brother,” came a voice from behind him. Jayce spun around to find Jett sprawled across his bed. “I enjoyed your play.”
 
“I thought you might when Cristicus showed it to me. The main character was an assassin. I tried to recall some of the things you had told me over the years when playing him. Do you think I pulled it off?”
 
Jett nodded and stretched. “It occurred to me that I hadn't seen you for a while so I stopped to visit. I thought maybe we could track down Joxer and spend a few days catching up.”
 
“Sure. You're welcome to share the room with me if you don't already have one. It will be just like old times.” The slow grin on his older brother's face was all the answer he needed.
 
AJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJ
 
A few days later Jett and Jayce were sitting in the public room of the inn having breakfast. Jett looked up when the door opened and realized that his other brother had just come in. Joxer spotted him and waved before having a brief word with the innkeeper. The innkeeper nodded and some coins were exchanged. Joxer then went over to where his two brothers were seated.
 
“Hey you two,” he said. “I was hoping that I see you two soon. I got us a private meeting room so we can talk and be comfortable at the same time.”
 
They gathered their things and followed Joxer back to the room. The serving girl had just finished setting things on the table when they entered. Joxer closed the door behind her.
 
After everyone had gotten settled Jayce turned to his youngest brother and said, “So how have you been?”
 
“I've been good. That's one of the reasons I was glad to see you actually,” Joxer said. “I'm getting married next month and I would like you both to be there.”
 
“That's great, little brother,” said Jett. “Of course we'll be there.”
 
“Most definitely,” Jayce added. “The run of the play is over at the end of the month and I don't have anything else lined up yet so this works out great.”
 
“I do have a few questions for you though,” Jett put in. “Where is the wedding? How long have you known her? What is her name?”
 
“It's not a woman,” Joxer said. The other two men in the room blinked but before Joxer could say anything else there was a flurry of knocks on the door followed by “Room Service.”
 
Joxer said, “We didn't order anything.”
 
“. . . Candy-gram.”
 
Joxer sighed and said, “Just come in. I was almost to the important part anyway.”
 
“Feathers isn't here is he?”
 
“No.”
 
“He could be hiding.”
 
“Both of my brothers are in here with me. I think that he would have come out to say `Hi' by now. Now come in and I promise to show you how I cooked for that army. I know you've heard about that.”
 
There was a blue flash and when Jett and Jayce opened their eyes after the involuntary blink they saw the God of Mischief hugging their brother. “Really,” he was saying. “I figured that you did it on purpose no matter what that bard said.”
 
“Yeah I did. Gabby had been saying mean things about the gods in general and to me to me so I let them think that I couldn't cook. That way they put me in a position where I could do the most good.”
 
“Um…Joxer? Is this who you're going to marry?”
 
Strife's eyes got wide and he started to giggle. Joxer swatted him upside the head and said, “No. I'm marrying his uncle.” He swatted Strife again. “Stop giggling. I hadn't told them yet when you showed up. All I had managed to say was that it wasn't a woman.”
 
“It's not that. . . I was just imagining Unc's face if he had heard that.”
 
“You're marrying the God of War.” Jett said. Joxer and Strife nodded. “Well that is so much better than that bard that follows Xena around. Better looking to.”
 
“You want us to be at your wedding, which is most likely on Mount Olympus. Are you sure we'll be allowed?” Jayce asked.
 
“Sure. Unc said that if Zeus was going to force them to invite Hercules then Jox should be able to invite you two.”
 
“You can come to the temple now if you like. Ares has wanted to meet you anyway. Something about meeting the sane side of the family.” Joxer added.
 
AJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJ
 
Strife started to fidget more than normal at those words. “Um…why don't I just send you all up there and I'll see you later?”
 
“Well I can come up for a visit but I can't stay for too long,” said Jayce. “I have an evening performance today.”
 
“I'm good. I can stay for a while. I just need to pack my stuff.”
 
“Sure. Why don't we all head up there? Then ALL FOUR of us can head out,” Joxer said. He pinned Strife with a look. “Avoiding him won't solve anything. You have to talk to him if you want things to go anywhere…besides Ares is watching Bliss today and he loves to play with you.”
 
The quartet trooped upstairs to get Jett's things and then Strife flashed them up to the House of War on Olympus. Jett and Jayce were looking around when there was a white blur and Strife ended up on the floor with a mass of giggling godling on top. “Hide me Strife.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because he doesn't want to take a bath or eat his ambrosia,” came an amused voice from the door. Ares moved into the room. “Nice to finally meet you. Giggles over there is my grandson Bliss.”
 
“Nice to meet you Lord Ares, Lord Bliss,” said Jayce as he and Jett gave a small bow.
 
Bliss giggled. Then he looked at the two men. “You Joxie's brothers. He talk about you. He telled me good stories about you.” The little godling looked right at Jett. “You talk to cousin Phonos. It make him happy. He always sad. I not like it when he sad.”
 
Seeing that Jett was shocked by this (OK Jett was just standing there but he knew his brother) Joxer said, “Come on Bliss. I'll give you your bath. Maybe Jayce will help too?”
 
Jayce was quick to agree. He wasn't sure he wanted to be around when Jett came back to himself. It wouldn't be pretty when he realized he had zoned out in a situation that he didn't control.
 
Strife thought up a chair as Ares said, “Jett why don't we sit down and have a chat. I understand that among mortals the custom is to ask the head of the family for permission to marry a younger member. Since none of you talk to your father anymore that's you.”
 
Strife godfully restrained giggles when Jett blinked at Ares and went “Huh? ... oh, um, sure. I can't think of anyone better for him. Just don't hurt him or I will find a way to hurt you.” The assassin seemed more like himself at the end of that statement.
 
The God of Mischief couldn't resist saying, “I think the Bliss-man might be right Unc. Talking to Jett would make Phon happy.”
 
With a grin at his nephew Ares turned to his future brother-in-law and said, “Yeah. I think you're the only mortal I've heard him mention by name in centuries. He also said that you do good work.”
 
#And we're back to shock huh Unc?#
 
#Yeah. I think he would be good for Phonos and vice versa. I'll have to ask Joxer first though and maybe talk to Cupid.#
 
#You're not gonna have him shot with one of Cupie's specials are ya?#
 
#No, but he should have some ideas about how to get them together naturally.#
 
AJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCS
 
While the Gods of War and Mischief were teasing the King of Assassins the God of Joy was getting a bath.
 
“Do you really think the God of Murder would be happy if he talked to Jett?” asked the man know to many as the Lord of the Dance.
 
“Yes,” said Joxer. “Jett is the only mortal he's referred to by name as far as I know. I can't recall him even saying mine at all and he was there when Hera gave me the golden apple at breakfast this morning. All he said was `I think you'll be a good consort for war.'”
 
Jayce looked thoughtful and said, “Maybe. . . I'd have to meet him first. Jett deserves someone that will make him happy.”
 
“So do you but I see your point.”
 
“I make him happy?”
 
“Not right now Bliss.”
 
“Jett always had a thing for Phonos you know.”
 
“Yeah, I remember him saying once that he tried to plan his jobs to make Phonos happy. I guess it worked,” Joxer said with a thoughtful look on his face.
 
“Hey Joxie? What is going on with Strife? He seemed a little jumpy to me.”
 
“Daddy really likes Cousin Strife. He makes Daddy much happier than Mommy ever did. Daddy thinks he doesn't like him though.”
 
Joxer helped Bliss out of the bath and helped him dry off. “Your daddy told you that?”
 
“Yup. Want Strife to do my feathers. He does a real good job.”
 
AJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCS
 
The three went back to the main room to find that lunch had been set out.
 
“Ares did you remember the meat for my bunny?”
 
“Yes love I put it in his pen.”
 
“Can I borrow him Joxie? Phobos and I have a project he'd be perfect for.”
 
“Keep a close eye on him and make sure you get Hecate to give him some birth control. One of him is more than enough.”
 
Jayce was looking back and forth between them and said, “You have a meat-eating bunny?”
 
“Yeah. He followed us home form Hec's one day and kept finding his way back every time we returned him. So we just kept him. Killer is just too cute when he's eating.”
 
“I suppose he has pointy teeth.”
 
“Of course,” Ares put in. “He also has a fuzzy white tail and floppy ears.”
 
“Can we go see him after lunch? I brought him a bone but Granpa said I had to wait till you got back.”
 
Joxer agreed and everyone returned to their food.
 
After everyone had eaten and Joxer's brothers had been shocked by watching Joxer's rabbit gnaw on a ham bone they sat in the lounge room to catch up. Bliss was dozing off when Cupid flashed in to collect him.
 
“Hey everyone,” said the winged god.
 
“Hello Cupid. I'd like you to meet Jett and Jayce my future brother-in-laws.”
 
“Hello . . . Jayce. . . I think I've heard Uncle `Pol and the Muses talk about you. They always say good things about you. Unlike that bard that follows Xena around. They really have it in for her for some reason.” He turned to where Bliss was sitting and smiled at Strife. As he headed over there Strife stood up.
 
“Well I've got to go. I'll be by for Killer in the morning. Toodles.” He had flashed out almost before finishing the last word. Cupid sighed and sat where Strife had been. Bliss snuggled into his daddy's side and patted his leg.
 
“It's alright Blissy. At least I got to see him today.” The winged god made his goodbyes and left to put Bliss to bed. The remaining men looked at each other and Ares said, “I had no idea it had gotten that bad. Cupid is so depressed he can barely do his job and using Jox's bunny is the most creative thing Strife has done in a while. We need to do something.”
 
“You could lock them in a room together,” suggested Jayce.
 
“We tried that. Strife got them out in less than five minutes and then started his avoidance thing,” said Joxer.
 
“I'll let you know if I come up with anything but I need to be going. Could you send me back please?” Ares waved a hand and sent Jayce on his way.
 
“Ar … I think it's time to call in the big weapons,” said Joxer. “'Dite has to know about this. Maybe she can help.”
 
“You're right. . . Aphrodite could you and Heph come here when you have a minute?”
 
There was a flash of pink and red sparkles and there stood the Goddess of Love and the God of the Forge. Before the sparks had faded she said, “We've got to do something about those two. Cupid is in his room trying not to cry and Strife is hiding from me.”
 
“We know `Dite but we're out of ideas.” Ares then gestured to Jett and said, “By the way this is Jett one of Joxer's brothers. Jett this is Aphrodite and Hephaestus.”
 
Jett gave them each a small bow. Aphrodite beamed at him but Hephaestus looked thoughtful. “Isn't Jett the one that Phonos keeps going on about?”
 
The King of Assassins blinked at him then turned to Ares. “You weren't kidding. I thought you might be . . . He really knows my name? I need to sit down.” He proceeded to do just that and leant forward to put his head between his knees. Joxer sat next to him and started to rub his back while talking quietly.
 
“Wow. That was a better reaction than last time,” said Ares with a laugh. “I think that also proves that babble is a family trait.”
 
`Dite grinned and cocked an eyebrow at Ares. `Later' he mouthed. She nodded and had a seat next to Hephaestus on the couch. “What should we do about the boys? Cupie hasn't been able to work properly for a couple days now `cause he's so bummed.”
 
“Strife isn't that bad but I've noticed that his pranks are getting a little vindictive. He asked to borrow Killer for a job and that's the most creative thing he's done is weeks.”
 
Hephaestus said, “I know you tried the locking them in a room thing and it didn't work. Maybe if you came up with something that would force them to work together . . .”
 
“That might work. But what could we have them do?” asked `Dite pensively.
 
AJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCSAJCS