Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction / XXXHolic Fan Fiction ❯ Jewel ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The joyous noises from the multitude of parties seemed distant from the tiny clearing. Fai Flowright and Haruka Doumeki sat in silence, each lost in his own thoughts. Like all of the heroes that survived the protracted war, Fai and Haruka were exhausted. Unlike the others, however, they knew that the danger had not passed, that there was still one more battle to be waged.
 
The gentle cooing of a bird alerted Fai of the Space Time Witch's arrival. He stood just as she crossed into the clearing. “Yuuto,” Fai smiled wanly. “Thank you for coming.”
 
“I counseled you against this course,” Yuuto said sadly. “The jewel needed to be destroyed when the Overlord perished. It was the only opportunity we had.”
 
Fai's bright blue eyes sparked with pain. “I know. I couldn't.”
 
“No one could have, Yuuto, you know that,” Haruka said evenly. “It was folly for the gods even to charge him with such a task.”
 
Yuuto looked at the young monk and nodded, acknowledging his point. “But it needed to be done. What's left undone will only cause hardship in generations that not even I can see.”
 
“What are you talking about?”
 
Fai stiffened at the gruff voice from the tree line of the clearing. Kurogane's red eyes blazed suspiciously as he walked into the clearing. As was usual for him, he went and stood close to Fai, the white mage's tall dark shadow. “Witch.”
 
Yuuto nodded to him in greeting. “General,” she said formally. She turned back to Fai and Haruka. “We can not put this off any longer. To do so would be to court disaster.”
 
Fai closed his eyes and nodded.
 
“Is there no other way?” Haruka asked, knowing the answer to his question, but unable to stop himself from trying to buy time.
 
“There are no decisions that will be made without the counsel,” Kurogane ground out to the witch.
 
Yuuto ignored him. “Did you bring it?” She asked Fai.
 
Fai nodded and reached into his robes. Kurogane stepped closer when Fai opened his pale hand to show the small blue sapphire tear drop that shimmered in the relative darkness of the clearing. Kurogane looked at Fai questioningly. In the final battle in the last few critical seconds, Fai had sacrificed his left arm to the Overlord's blade to wrench the gem from the Overlord's crown. The Overlord's magic blew the lithe mage back even as Kurogane leapt to his aid. Fai had turned to the gem and started mouthing a complicated spell. Kurogane attacked the Overlord intent on ending the battle once and for all as the mage's icy winds started blowing through the courtyard. Strike, pare, roll, strike, Kurogane's foot slipped just slightly in one of the pools of blood that dotted the courtyard. In that fatalistic instant, Kurogane knew he was done for, that he would not survive the Overlord's blow. He took scant comfort that the seal placed on his armor would destroy the Overlord but as he turned his eyes to the mage one last time he found his mouth only filled with regret and longing. The mage's blue eyes turned to him, perhaps feeling his gaze. Time slowed as the mage turned to Kurogane and loosened his spell on the Overlord, giving Kurogane enough time to twist and impale the Overlord. The feel of the Overlord's power vibrated on his blade before the entire courtyard exploded.
 
“I don't understand,” Kurogane said turning to Fai.
 
Fai opened his eyes, “The tear drop gem is the Overlord's greatest treasure. He who controls it controls a power that we would not be able to over come.”
 
“We over came the overlord,” Kurogane pointed out.
 
“The Overlord did not have complete control of the gem,” Yuuto said briskly. “Prince Flowright's mission was to destroy the gem when the Overlord was destroyed.”
 
“So, he can destroy the gem now.” The hair on Kurogane's neck started to rise, foreboding eating away at his confidence.
 
“The only power strong enough to destroy the gem was the Overlord's passing,” Fai said softly. Fai looked up at Kurogane, his eyes suspiciously bright. “You should leave now.”
 
Kurogane felt the first wisps of betrayal. “No, I'm not going to leave. The Witch is going to explain to me how we're going to destroy the gem and then we're going to do it together.” Kurogane took a step closer to Fai and willed him to understand what he was trying to say. “Together.”
 
Fai's eyes filled with pain as he looked away. “That's not possible.” Fai stepped back and turned to Yuuto. “Please.”
 
Yuuto nodded and took hold of the hand holding the gem. Light encased both Fai and Yuuto. Haruka had to grab hold of Kurogane as the solder went to pull Fai away from the Witch. “Let me go!”
 
“No!” Haruka cried. “If you touch them, their work will be undone and his sacrifice will be for naught.”
 
Kurogane turned to Haruka. “What?”
 
“Think, Kurogane!” Haruka's voice cracked. “Think back to when the war started; think back to the witch's words all those months ago. The Guardian of Fate only lit one candle for the battle. Only one.”
 
“I don't understand!” Kurogane shouted as he angrily threw the monk from him. “Candles, Guardians of Fate, can't you just tell me!” He turned back to grab Fai but was stopped by Haruka's next words.
 
“You weren't supposed to survive the battle with the Overlord. That's why your armor was spelled.”
 
Kurogane turned and stared at Haruka. “What?”
 
“When the spell on your armor was activated, you and the Overlord were to perish. At that second, Fai's spell was to have destroyed the gem,” Haruka's voice was tired. “But Fai wouldn't let you die.”
 
Kurogane turned to Fai and Yuuto. “No.”
 
“In payment for your life, Fai is giving his own.”
 
Kurogane shook his head. “No.”
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
The light between the Witch and the Mage dimmed. Kurogane jumped and caught Fai as the tall thin mage started falling to the ground. “Fai!”
 
Fai's pale eyes opened. “Kuro-san,” he whispered.
 
Kurogane's large hand touched the cold cheek. “What have you done, you fool?”
 
Fai's lips twisted up in a hint of a smile. “My kind is the kind you hate the most.”
 
Tears fell from Kurogane's face. “No, Fai, I don't hate you. I don't. I haven't in a long time. I never told you. I thought there were be more time, Fai. I thought I could tell you when all of this was over and… Fai… Fai!”
 
Fai's face had stilled, his eyes loosing their sparkle. Kurogane hugged the mage to him and sobbed.
 
Yuuto turned her head from them to Haruka. Haruka's young face was etched in grief as he watched his friend's passing. “Here,” Yuuto's voice was husky as she handed the monk the gem. “I could not destroy it, but I was able to make it sleep.” She turned to Kurogane. “I have fulfilled your wish to give the Prince and the Warrior time to say good bye. I could do no more. Now I must take your payment.”
 
“I will protect the gem with my life as will all my descendants,” Haruka swore. “Thank you.”
 
Yuuto nodded, smiling bitterly. “Save your thanks. Kurogane will not live much longer without his heart. I only pray that the gods will take mercy on them and bring them together at the next turning of the wheel.”