Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ Corrupt Fruit ❯ Doctor and Former Patient ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Chapter Four: Doctor and Former Patient:
The crew made it to Kyoto University when morning classes had just started. Tsuzuki looked over at Watari.
“You sure he works here?” he whispered to his friend.
“Not officially,” Watari answered. “He actually works at the psychological center across the street. On Wednesdays and Fridays, he councils the students here at the school and today is Wednesday, right?”
“Yes,” Hisoka replied. Anna nodded.
“And since they are suspending him for Rieko’s death, he should be filing out the paperwork in his office,” she finished up.
“Exactly,” Watari finished. Anna turned her focus on him.
“Let me talk to him,” she said. The boys all looked at her.
“Why?” Tsuzuki asked. Anna kept a serious face.
“He doesn’t know you guys,” she reasoned. “I think it would be best if I spoke to him. Please?” The boys pondered this request. Maybe, that could work, but yet something about this case didn’t sit right with them. Why would Dr. Yamashita turn to Anna? How did he even know that she was alive again? Could he really be working with the Eda-Kimoto?
“Alright,” Tsuzuki replied. The other two shinigami looked at him with big eyes.
“What?!?” they asked. Anna looked at him in surprise.
“Really?” she asked. Tsuzuki looked her in the eye as he took her by the hands.
“Just be careful, okay?” he warned her. Anna gave him a serious look.
“I will,” the woman assured him. She turned back to Watari.
“Which room is he in?” the woman asked. The scientist hesitated at first.
“217C,” he said at last.
“Thank you,” Anna said with a bow. The woman walked into the building. Watari and Hisoka turned to Tsuzuki.
“You sure this is a good idea?” Watari asked.
“She won’t listen to me otherwise,” Tsuzuki said with a shrug, “And besides, I think she’ll be fine.” The boys didn’t look so certain. They still had their suspicions and even Tsuzuki started to regret this decision. Anna found the room and knocked on the door.
“Come in!” a groggy-sounding voice called. Anna walked into the classroom and found Dr. Yamashita sitting at his desk writing fiercely. He used to be a strong, wise old man. Dr. Yamashita must have shrunken over the years.
I guess ten years can do that to you, Anna thought as she watched him.
“What do you want?” the old man snapped as he looked up. His face slowly softened when he saw his former patient standing before him.
“Oh, Anna!” he said, “It’s you.” They stared at each other for a long time. Ten years, has it really been that long? Dr. Yamashita closed up his paperwork.
“How are you?” he asked.
“Good,” she answered. Dr. Yamashita looked her up and down.
“You’re a changed woman,” he noted. Anna raised an eyebrow at him.
“How so?” she questioned him.
“You seem more confident than when we first met,” her former therapist answered, “Happier than you were in the states.” Anna smiled at him.
“Well, I have a boyfriend now,” she confessed. Her former mentor looked rather delighted to hear this piece of news.
“Really?” he asked, “Is he good to you?”
“Yes,” the woman replied.
“Still having dreams?” he asked.
“Yes,” Anna answered rather reluctantly. She went straight into her own questions. “Doctor, how did you find me?” the woman asked. Dr. Yamashita gave her an odd look.
“How do you mean?” he asked.
“How did you know I was alive?” Anna paused, “And why would you ask me for help?” Dr. Yamashita’s hands trembled.
“I can’t tell you yet,” he said in a quiet voice.
“I can’t help you if you don’t tell me the truth,” his former patient pressed, “Now what is going on?” The man lowered his head. He thought he could dodge the truth with his former patient. Dr. Yamashita sighed.
“I can’t tell you now,” he repeated.
“What do you mean?” Anna demanded. He looked straight at her.
“Give me three days,” he pleaded.
“Three days?” his former patient repeated.
“Yes! That is all I ask of you! Just give me three days to explain it all,” the old man begged her. Anna pressed her lips together and nodded.
“Okay, but that’s all you get!” she told him. Dr. Yamashita breathed out and bowed her head.
“Thank you Kimoto-chan,” he said. She only watched him in silence. Something was really off here, but she found herself in that old black hole again.