Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ Dezaato ❯ Dessert ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Fandom: Yami no Matsuei
Pairing: Tatsumi/Watari
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Characters aren't mine. Boohoo.
Spoilers: Minimal.
Note: Advent Calendar Day 8: December 8th
Theme: Christmas Pudding

Dezaato
by Elsewhere
elsewherecw@shaw.ca

Summary: Watari provides the Summoning division with an exciting Christmas party.

*****

The office Christmas party was even less popular than it had been before. This time only a handful of employees showed up, and most of them freely admitted that they'd only come for the free food. Tsuzuki, of course, was the one making the most of said food, roaming around the table picking up another plate of sweets every few minutes. His partner, Hisoka, sat at the table and huffed and sighed and glared, seemingly more annoyed than pleased by the 'season to be jolly'.

The pride of the party was a giant Christmas pudding that Watari had cooked up in his lab---which of course meant that nobody, even Tsuzuki, really wanted to eat it. At the beginning of the evening, the rumor going around the office was that Watari had finally managed to develop the sex-changing potion he'd so long worked at, and was planning to test it out on whoever ate a piece of the supposedly chemical-laced pudding. By the end of the evening, the rumor had gone through several phases of development and reached a point where Tsuzuki was begging Tatsumi to keep Watari from turning them all into bats simply with the fumes from the liquor-filled dessert.

Watari, of course, laughed all of this off, and seemed most keen that particular evening on the punch, which he'd already had several glasses of by the time he weaved his way over to Tatsumi.

"Merry Chrishmas, Tatshumi-shan," Watari said with an undignified giggle, and Tatsumi fought not to role his eyes.

"Merry Christmas, Watari. I think you may well have had enough punch," Tatsumi said gravely, and Watari giggled again, his drink sloshing perilously close to the edges of his cup.

"Be careful," Tatsumi warned him. "If you spill on the carpet, you'll be required to pay to put a new one in."

"Agh, Tatshumi-shan, you're no fun," Watari said, waving a dismissive hand in Tatsumi's direction as he wobbled off in another direction, towards Tsuzuki and Hisoka, both of whom looked panicked at the prospect of conversation with a drunk mad scientist.

After the presents---they always had a small gift exchange going by the 'Secret Santa' principle, and every year, Terazuma tore up his gag gifts in rage---the gathering quieted down, only a few scattered voices piping up every now and again while the rest of them listened to the Christmas carols from the radio in the corner.

Just as everyone had begun to think they'd be safe, Watari stepped up behind his enormous pudding and, after pouring some alcohol over the top of it, set it on fire with a flourish.

Later that evening, as the hazmat team picked through the remains of the main Shoukan division office taking care of all the remaining biohazardous material, the employees who had been at the party, all burnt and bedraggled, stood out underneath the perpetual rain of sakura petals and glared at Watari, cursing him quietly.

"Watari," Tatsumi said with *extreme* gravity, the look on his face one of absolute non-humor. He stood next to Watari, who was still looking dazedly into a hand-held mirror at the spaces on his forehead where his eyebrows had once been. "I think that next year one of the *other* employees will be asked to provide the Christmas pudding."

"I knew it couldn't be good, that bottle that fell into the pudding mix," Watari said absently. Despite everything, he looked rather pleased with himself, much to everyone else's aggravation.

"I hope you've been saving up your wages, Watari," Tatsumi said with a slow sigh. "Otherwise, you'll be paying for this until *next* Christmas."

Watari looked at him aghast, with a stare that suggested that surely in all of this, they'd just been having good fun.

"Honestly, Tatsumi. You really are no fun," Watari said, shaking his head.

Tatsumi, to his credit, chose not to reply, instead closing his eyes and pretending for the smallest moment that he was somewhere else.

"Well, Merry Christmas anyway, everyone!" Watari called merrily, and with a tiny, reluctant sigh, Tatsumi joined in with all the others as they answered Watari.

"Merry Christmas!"

*****

THE END