Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ The List ❯ The List Ch. 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Ta~~tsu~~mi-sa~n!" was the terrifyingly cheerful greeting accompanying an enthusiastic knock on the secretary's office door. Yuma knocked again, still with no response, but she peeked in nevertheless, as co-workers, somehow, often failed to notice their knocking.

"Well, we can still leave a note!" remarked Saya brightly when she turned around with a shrug.

"Right! I'm sure there's a piece of scrap paper around his desk." Yuma noted, moving in towards the room's most prominent piece of furniture.

"Here's paper."

"That looks like a to-do list. There're several things crossed off."

Yuma giggled, having suddenly assumed a mysterious expression. A bad omen.

"What do you think he'd do if we added to it?"

"No way! Tatsumi can be scary!"

"This is how one finds out what senses of humor one's superiors have," Yuma explained. "Hmm…all the entries are short… 'Payroll.'"

"'Review expense accounts.'"

"'Lunch.'"

Saya and Yuma looked at each other in disbelief.

"See? Scary!"

"What kind of man puts 'Lunch' on a to-do list?"

"I'll bet he'd be lost without this thing."

A pause. Pink, balloon-like hearts began to drift lazily through the windows, popping in the cooler air of the dark office.

"Sooo, what should we add?"

"Umm… 'Sort paperclips by size'?"

"He's probably done that already." Yuma noted with as serious a face as possible. "'Order Kurosaki to wear sundress'?"

"He'd know who wrote that! Hm… 'Make Tsuzuki balance muffin on head.'"

"Saya, you're mean!"

"Awaaah! I just thought it would be cute! How about 'Hug Tsuzuki,' then?"

"I don't think Tsuzuki's his type." Yuma replied with a wink.

"Oh, you're awful! Fine, then." Said Saya, gleaming eyes accepting the implied matchmaker's challenge. "'Seduce Watari.'"

"No! I don't want to die! He'd kill us!" Yuma gasped out, giggling madly. "But it's perfect!"

As long as he never figures out who added it to the list passed the silent comment in a dangerously giddy nervous glance between them.

"Write quickly, and let's get out before he comes back to cross off 'Lunch'."

"Wait-what about the note?"

"We can't leave it now-he'd know who had been in his office. We'll be sure to run into him later."

"Okay. And besides, we have to see what happens!"

The energetic Hokkaido duo crept toward the door, trying vainly to stifle its latest outbreak of giggles while peering to see if the hallway was clear.

"By the way, Saya…how is it you're so good at reproducing handwriting?"

"Well, I…umm, was that Hisoka-chan just now?" replied Saya, quickly heading out the office door.

The heart balloons followed them out.