Yami To Boushi To Hon No Tabibito Fan Fiction ❯ Another Destiny (One of Two) ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito: Another Destiny (Two of Two)
 
Princess Fuji gently stroked Hazuki's long black hair, the lovely blonde looking down at the woman who's head rested in her lap with a gentle tenderness. "I've missed this," Fuji admitted quietly, a smile on her face.
 
"I'm sorry to be so needy," Hazuki murmured to her quietly. After a few moments of petting she rose, looking into Fuji's eyes as she continued a bit sheepishly, "I didn't even ask what's been happening to you."
 
"Not as much as you think," Fuji said calmly. She poured each of them more tea before saying, "Shortly after you both disappeared the Spiritual Fox returned and she came to me seeking a lord to serve."
 
"I was a little surprised you let her stay," Hazuki noted, drinking her tea.
 
"I have always had a weakness for lost cats and dogs," Fuji flashed a smile, "she reminded me of them too much."
 
Hazuki fought back her racing heart, shocked at the woman's beauty. 'Does she know how lovely she is?' she wondered silently. "I've done my share of rescuing cats from trees," Hazuki admitted, fond memories bringing a smile to her face. Her expression became a bit more serious, "We encountered those Ninja on the way here.. have they made trouble?"
 
Fuji looked annoyed, taking a drink of her tea with unconscious grace. "Yes," she nodded, "they've made several attempts to break into the palace here. Thankfully my samurai are determined to make up for their original failure facing them."
 
"And the captain I fought?" Hazuki asked seriously, remembering the gray haired older man who had unleashed various techniques on her. To his surprise his various ninja skills seemed to fail against Hazuki, though neither of them fully understood why.
 
"He hasn't returned," Fuji reassured her, "in fact it seems the ninja are looking for you."
 
"Oh?" Hazuki frowned.
 
'It's odd,' Fuji silently thought, 'that an expression that should have made Hazuki ugly instead simply makes seem her more lovely to me, simmering with passionate intensity.' Recovering herself after a moment of distraction Fuji said, "They seem driven to face you in battle, possibly to avenge their lord's defeat."
 
Hazuki reached out to lay a hand on the sword that rested on the floor beside her, her expression thoughtful. "Then maybe I should answer their challenge," she said quietly, "it might even end their threat to you."
 
Fuji felt herself instinctively opening her mouth to forbid Hazuki from facing them, only to stop herself in surprise. For all her life warriors had pledged themselves to her, and she knew that at least some of them had fallen because of that. 'So why does it bother me so that Hazuki might be putting herself in danger?' she wondered.
 
Hazuki seemed to read her expression, her own gaze softening. "I'm sorry to worry you," she took Fuji's hand in hers, "I'll be careful, no matter what I decide to do."
 
Fuji felt herself smile even as she squeezed Hazuki's hands firmly. "I don't remember you being very cautious," she gently chided Hazuki, "considering you rushed in to face the ninja's and their lord all alone."
 
Hazuki met Fuji's eyes with simple honesty. "You were in danger," she said to her directly, "I couldn't bear that."
 
"Thank you," Fuji looked away, blushing faintly. She opened up her mouth to say something more to Hazuki...
 
...when a soft knocking drew their attention from each other. "Princess?" the soft voice called from the hallway.
 
Fuji pulled back from how close she and Hazuki had been leaning towards each other, gazing into each other's eyes. "Yes?" she called out, surprised to feel faintly hoarse,
 
The door slid open to reveal the leader of her personal guard, the older samurai kneeling respectfully beside the door. "There is a ninja waiting by the front gates," he reported grimly, "asking for the Lady Hazuki."
 
"Did you see any more of them?" Hazuki asked as she snatched up her sword, her eyes narrowing in anger as she tensed for battle.
 
"No, but there could be many in the shadows nearby," he conceded. The samurai looked at Hazuki and Fuji, "What do you want to do?"
 
Fuji put a hand on Hazuki's arm, squeezing lightly. "I suppose you won't listen if I order you not to see them?" she asked.
 
"If they're seriously interested in me they could threaten you or the others if I don't go," Hazuki answered, gently putting her hand over Fuji's.
 
"I know," Fuji acknowledged. She hesitated, meeting Hazuki's eyes then bent forward to kiss her softly on the mouth. "Be careful," she breathed out after a moment.
 
"Always," Hazuki answered softly, her gaze lingering a moment before getting up and following the samurai from the room.
 
The redheaded ninja girl stood by the gate, her mane of hair shimmering in the sun. Like the other women she wore simple garb, a wrap-like bikini top and bottom combined with a metallic mask, boots and gloves. While they weren't visible weapons were hidden amidst her garb, ready to be used at a moments notice.
 
"Watch my back," Hazuki murmured under her breath to the samurai before striding away from him over to where the woman waited. "You wanted to see me?" Hazuki asked, letting her hand rest comfortably on her sword's hilt.
 
"Yes, lady," she nodded, clearly displeased at using the honorific. She studied Hazuki coldly, "Our mistress wishes to see you."
 
Hazuki studied her thoughtfully for a moment, "You'll guarantee safe conduct for me to and from the meeting?"
 
The ninja nodded with a smile. "Indeed," she purred, "I swear on my name, Yomi."
 
"Do you trust her?" the samurai asked Hazuki bluntly after she filled him in on the progress of the negotiations.
 
"Not entirely, but I think I can handle it," Hazuki said honestly. She smiled grimly, "If this is a trick, make sure that the Princess is kept safe, please."
 
"Of course," the samurai nodded firmly.
 
Hazuki strode over to the ninja Yomi's side and without another word they walked off together, Hazuki keeping a wary eye out. It wasn't long before they reached the clearing, the band of ninja women watching with silent intensity as they walked up.
 
"Hitomi," Yomi nodded respectfully, "I've brought her as ordered."
 
"Thank you," Hitomi nodded, her long brown hair flowing. She looked Hazuki over a moment then asked, "Will you face me in battle, samurai?"
 
Hazuki tensed as the ninja spread out around the clearing to watch. "If I must," she said, resting her hand on the hilt of her sword.
 
"Yes!" Hitomi cried out as she leapt, sword flashing, only to be parried with remarkable speed. Hazuki's eyes flashed as they stood there frozen, muscles straining, the she shifted and they pulled apart. Back and forth across the clearing they fought, blades ringing, but Hitomi seemed unable to gain any advantage.
 
Finally Hitomi raised a hand, panting softly. "Yes?" Hazuki asked warily.
 
"You are as good as we heard," Hitomi conceded, "or even better." She sheathed her sword then, surprisingly, kneeled. "Let us serve you, m'lady, eve as we did our lord before."
 
"Eeehh?!" Hazuki blurted.
 
Later that evening Fuji smiled as she and Hazuki stood on the bridge, looking out over the water. "Have you decided what to do?" she asked her softly.
 
Hazuki looked amused, "I accepted their service, I didn't think there was much choice." She sighed, "I sent them out bandit hunting, maybe that way they can do some good."
 
"I'm glad," Fuji agreed. She hesitated, studying Hazuki with a expression of gentle longing, "Lady Hazuki, are you leaving again soon?"
 
Hazuki met her eyes, then around them at the beautiful palace. More than ever before she felt at peace, the odd restlessness that had always driven her finally stilled. "I'm not going anywhere," she answered honestly, "at least, not unless you send me away."
 
"Never," Fuji said firmly, resting her hand on Hazuki's arm. She looked away with a faint blush, "I knew that sending you on your way before was the right thing to do... but almost as soon as I did I missed you, more than I could say."
 
"And I," Hazuki agreed softly, wondering why it had never occurred to her to just stay. But she had needed to see Hatsumi once again... if only to say good-bye. "There's no place in the worlds I'd rather be than here," Hazuki finished.
 
"I'm glad," Fuji answered as she stepped a little closer. She gently tugged Hazuki to her, hesitating until she saw the other woman smile, then she kissed her gently.
 
End
 
Notes: This was inspired by talk on the shoujoai forums, as well as my own ideas that Fuji and Hazuki would make a good couple. This also doesn't exactly contradict the ending of Yami to Boushi either, it's quite possible Hazuki could end up giving birth to Eve in Fuji's world.