Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou Fan Fiction ❯ Alpha's Travels ❯ Goodbyes ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

“I…I think I may be going away for a while.” Alpha said as she looked up at the lone cloud in the sky.
 
It was nearing the end of August and the weather had calmed down. Upon first glance at the sky above it was hard to tell that just one week prior a typhoon hit the landscape hard. Meihou had left her mark on the countryside knocking down both tree and building alike with winds so strong that the mightiest of structures could not escape without damage. Meihou had changed lives and threatened to close businesses. For Alpha Hatsuseno Meihou had both changed her life and threatened her business.
 
Because of Meihou's great winds, Alpha's tiny café had not escaped damage. The walls that were once Café Alpha had fallen to the ground. All that remained of the small coffee shop was the wooden sign and the handmade weather fish that stood in the yard keeping watch for the winds that blew past its propeller. By sheer luck or some great divine miracle, the house that connected to the café escaped major damage. The spot where the café met the house had lost a few pieces of siding and there were a few shingles torn from the roof but the house remained standing after Typhoon Meihou.
 
Alpha was in a state of shock when she returned home from the night spent at Ojisan's house. Sitting there in the yard, she tried to make sense of what had happened to her tiny business. The café was old and it was only a matter of time before it fell, Alpha told herself. No matter how many times she told herself that the fact remained, her business was gone. Without the café, Alpha had no source of income. Alpha didn't need to eat human food or even drink the coffee and tea she sold but she enjoyed what she sold. To get what she needed took money and to replace what she had also took money, money her business brought in.
 
“Amazing, simply amazing, the house is still standing. It needs a bit of repair but it's standing.” Ojisan commented when he saw Alpha's house and café the morning after the typhoon.
 
“What am I going to do now? The café is gone and the house needs repairs. I need money for repairs and supplies and without the café I can't get that.” Alpha wanted to know.
 
Ojisan looked over at Alpha and then glanced up at the sky above them. There were still some clouds in the sky but for the most part the heavy storm clouds had left the area. The house was in no immediate danger and with a bit of hard work Alpha could finish the repairs in time to keep the cool fall weather from getting inside. Alpha looked down at her getsukin before looking up at Ojisan who was now surveying the amount of damage the actual house had taken. With Owner gone Alpha looked to Ojisan to provide her with comfort in her time of need. It was just such a time that Alpha needed Ojisan to tell her everything would turn out all right.
 
“I've been thinking; it gets kind of lonely sometimes at the gas station. I have an old awning and a counter collecting dust outside the gas station. With a bit of work you can turn it into a makeshift café.” Ojisan offered.
 
Alpha thought for a moment. Ojisan had offered Alpha a solution to her problem, even if it was a temporary one. Alpha could set up a makeshift café outside of the gas station during the remainder of the summer season. As long as the weather remained warm enough to be outside Alpha would have a way to earn money. With a smile on her face, Alpha answered Ojisan's offer.
 
“I'd love to set up my café at your gas station.” Alpha replied.
 
It took a bit of work but in one week's time Alpha had her counter and anything she was able to salvage from the café set up at the gas station. The old awning Ojisan had was not in terrible condition and was easily cleaned and repaired. Alpha impressed Ojisan with how well she was able to repair clean up the small space outside the gas station.
 
“You've really cleaned up the place this past week.” Ojisan commented as he looked at the awning and the tiny café setting.
 
Alpha let out a giggle and tried to wave off the complement Ojisan gave her. While she had done all she could to get back to business quickly the materials Alpha used to were not very impressive. The awning was plain and old and the counter had needed a fresh coat of paint and good scrubbing. It was hard work, but to Alpha it was worth the time and effort. Once more Alpha had a means of supporting herself.
 
“Looking for a job?” Ojisan wondered in response to Alpha's comment about going away.
 
A few moments earlier Alpha commented about the cost and availability of the materials needed to repair and replace her café. Ojisan thought Alpha had decided to go away to find work.
 
“Well…I guess…I was thinking of wandering away from here.” Alpha replied with a nervous scratch to her head.
 
*********
 
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Alpha's Travels
Chapter One: Goodbyes
 
*********
 
With the decision to leave made, Alpha would be leaving just three days after opening her temporary café outside the gas station. It was hard for the female robot to decide to leave so soon but the longer that she waited to go the harder it would be for her to leave. Alpha's world was expanding. It was no longer her house, the gas station, or even Asahina pass. Because of Ojisan and Kokone Alpha knew there was more to her world than just her café and her house. Her place in the world was changing and Alpha wanted to take every opportunity she could to see all that the world had to offer. Alpha was ready to travel beyond the safety of her home to see and experience new and wonderful things. For the first time in her life, Alpha was ready to work for someone other than herself. Alpha was ready for a job.
 
Looking around the house Alpha began to pack all that she could into the backpack. Winter things and summer things went inside the pack along with undergarments, toiletries, and a brush. Satisfied that she had enough things in her pack Alpha tied it to a small cart she had. Alpha had no plans to take her scooter with her on the road. While it was a good form of transportation, her scooter needed gas and Alpha wasn't certain if there would be enough gas stations on the road. However, Alpha wasn't about to leave her scooter to sit by the house. As she sat down to write out a letter to Owner Alpha thought about whom she could give her scooter to while she was gone.
 
Who would be the perfect person to take care of my scooter while I'm gone, Alpha thought. As she continued to write page after page of her letter to Owner Alpha considered all the possible people she knew. Ojisan was a good choice since he owned a gas station, but he already had a truck of his own to drive. There was Koumiishi-Sensei, the local doctor in town, but Alpha felt she was comfortable the way things were. She could leave the scooter with someone from the town council but they already had a form of transportation or knew someone who had a vehicle. There was Ayase, the wandering man, but he was too hard to get a hold of and Alpha didn't know when he'd be back near her house and the bay. Makki was a good choice but she wasn't quite old enough to handle a scooter yet. That left Takahiro as the only fair choice for getting the scooter.
 
Takahiro had taken things hard after the typhoon. When he heard about the café Takahiro couldn't bring himself to see the damage. According to Ojisan, it was the first time in his life that Takahiro had lost something so familiar. Alpha felt sorry for the boy, but at the same time she knew it was something he would have to face as he got older. It was because of Takahiro that Alpha didn't want to stay around any longer than necessary. The more she saw him the more she would want to stay and the harder it would be to leave. To her Takahiro was more than just a local boy that stopped by the café from time to time. He had become a very close friend and almost like a brother. Alpha cared for Takahiro the way an older sister would care for her little brother.
 
“I'll go and see Takahiro tomorrow and tell him I'm leaving. Then I'll let him know I want him to have my scooter. Somebody should be driving it while I'm gone.” Alpha thought aloud, “This is going to be very hard on him. However, this is something I need to do.”
 
Alpha looked down at the long letter and examined what she had written. She told Owner, in case he was to come back to the house, what she had decided to do and why. Alpha loved to spout out detail after detail about everyone and everything she saw. She mentioned the first time she met Ojisan and what happened when Kokone delivered the camera. Alpha had even taken the time to thank Owner for giving her the camera and the message. She wrote about days spent with Koumiishi-sensei and Takahiro and nights with Kokone. She mentioned meeting Ayase and how the Misago had seen Takahiro. When she was happy with what was in the letter Alpha wrote a few closing lines before signing the letter. With the letter written, Alpha penned a quick cover page and placed it on her desk under a small paperweight.
 
The next morning Alpha arrived at the gas station on her scooter. She wasn't dressed to work behind the counter running her makeshift café. This time she had chosen to wear a simple pair of tan pants, a white t-shirt, and a black knit tank top. Alpha saw Takahiro and smiled. If she were to leave the day after the next she had to say her goodbyes to him that day.
 
“Alpha are you going to open the café today?” Takahiro wondered.
 
“No not today. I'm taking today off.” Alpha replied with a bright smile on her face.
 
Ojisan had a good feeling as to why Alpha took the day off and smiled. Takahiro hadn't spent any time with Alpha since before the Typhoon had hit. Alpha knew a day together with Takahiro was the best way to help him deal with her leaving. She was going to have to teach Takahiro how to ride the scooter if he were to keep it for her. Alpha knew that would take a good part of the day.
 
“Takahiro, why don't you get on the back of my scooter I want to take you somewhere today.” Alpha offered.
 
Takahiro let a bright smile cross his face as he answered Alpha's offer, “I'd love to go with you Alpha.”
 
Alpha climbed onto her scooter and smiled as she gave the small bit of seat behind her a pat. She could tell Takahiro was nervous about going with her. Takahiro was growing up and his actions showed he was at an age where he became nervous around females who were his age or older. With a small blush on his face, Takahiro climbed onto the scooter and put his arms around Alpha's waist.
 
“Hang on tight Takahiro.” Alpha reminded him.
 
“Okay Alpha.” Takahiro responded as he tightened his hold slightly.
 
Alpha twisted the key to the scooter letting the engine turn over and revved the throttle twice. It wasn't like the sound of a motorcycle engine but the gas powered scooter had a sound all its own. Alpha had recently begun to listen to the sounds her engine would make enjoying every little detail. It reminded her of the time she had controlled the old jet boat Koumiishi-sensei had owned. After a moment of listening to the engine, Alpha let go of the break and turned the throttle forward gently guiding the scooter down the road. Destination in mind, Alpha allowed herself to enjoy the scenery around her and the company behind her.
 
“Ojisan said you took news of what happened to the Café pretty hard.” Alpha probed starting a topic of conversation.
 
“At first I did but now that you made a café at the gas station I'm okay with what happened.” Takahiro replied.
 
Alpha tried to smile but the knowledge that Takahiro was going to lose something familiar again made it hard for her to be happy about her decision to go. It was for that reason Alpha needed to leave so soon after announcing she was going to leave. Part of her needed to go on the road to earn money so she could repair the café. However, that was just a small part of going. A large part of Alpha wanted to leave so she could see the world around her and go farther than she had ever traveled before.
 
“You know it's going to take a long time and a lot of money and materials before the café is exactly the way it once was.” Alpha told Takahiro.
 
“I understand. You'll still have the stand at the gas station though.” Takahiro said trying to sound optimistic about the situation.
 
“The little café at gas station is nice and all but it doesn't bring in enough customers to give me the money I'll need.”
 
Takahiro froze when he heard what Alpha had said. The female robot could feel the boy become stiff behind her. It suddenly felt like the first time she had given him a ride on her scooter. Back then Takahiro was stiff with fright and buried his cheek against her back. However, with each ride she gave him, Takahiro got used to being on the back of her scooter. The remainder of their ride to the bay was in silence. Takahiro couldn't bring himself to say something for or against Alpha's comment about the stand at the gas station. He was scared yet another familiar thing was about to be taken away from him because of Typhoon Meihou.
 
Upon reaching their destination, Alpha parked the scooter on the side of the road and climbed off. Turning around she gave Takahiro a reassuring smile and motioned for him to climb off the scooter. Takahiro complied and slowly got off the scooter making his way to Alpha's side. He wondered why Alpha had brought him to the bay and to the place where they were.
 
“Alpha why are we here?” Takahiro inquired.
 
“I like coming here sometimes. It has a nice view. And this is where I met a wanderer named Ayase who reminds me of you.” Alpha told him.
 
Takahiro was surprised that someone else had met the wanderer Ayase and his strange fish-line creature Kamas. The older man was nice and someone Takahiro could look up to. To Takahiro he was a kindred spirit because he too had seen the Misago as a child. He had found a way to live a simple life traveling the countryside something that impressed both Takahiro and Alpha for different reasons.
 
“You know Ayase? He's seen the Misago just like me.” Takahiro wanted to know.
 
“Yes I do. I met him here once when I was out looking around at the scenery.” Alpha explained, He's a very nice man and someone I'm glad to have met.”
 
Alpha then took Takahiro by the hand and led him to the wall. Once there she motioned for the boy to sit down first. Once he was sitting on the wall Alpha sat down next to him on his left side and dangled her sandaled feet over the edge. With a smile on her face, Alpha turned to face Takahiro.
 
“Takahiro, I have a reason for bringing you here. I wanted to tell you that I'm leaving.” Alpha told him getting straight to the point.
 
“You're leaving but why?” Takahiro questioned.
 
Alpha looked at Takahiro for a moment and watched his reaction to her announcement. Takahiro crossed one leg under the other and swung his foot for a bit. He then looked down at his knee and began to draw little circles on his top leg. He then looked up, unfolded his leg from under the other, hugged his knees close to his body, and placed his chin on top of them. Alpha couldn't tell Takahiro was nervous and scared about her leaving from his body language but she knew he was taking the announcement hard.
 
“I'm doing this because I'm going to need money for repairs to the café. I'm also going because without the café to run I can finally see what else is out there in the world.” Alpha explained breaking the silence.
 
“You'll come back won't you?” Takahiro wanted to know.
 
“I'll come back it'll just be a long time before I do. There's so many things I want to see and experience it'll take almost a year or more to do it all.”
 
Alpha smiled at Takahiro trying to reassure him everything would be okay. It would be hard to be apart from him and to be unable to write to him but she would return one day. Alpha hoped that by letting Takahiro drive her scooter while she was gone he'd feel better about her leaving. She didn't want Takahiro feeling worse than he already was about the whole situation. Takahiro lifted his chin from his knees and looked over at the smiling Alpha. Feigning a smile of his own, Takahiro took his arms from around his legs and went back to sitting on one of his legs once more. Slumping slightly, Takahiro began to look down at the water once more.
 
“It's gonna be hard not having you around Alpha.” Takahiro admitted after a moment's silence.
 
“I know it's going to be hard for you but this is something I'm going to have to do. Besides, I'll need some favors from my closest friends while I'm gone.” Alpha returned.
 
Takahiro brightened up a bit at the mention of someone doing a favor for Alpha. He wondered whom she had in mind to do such a favor for her and hoped it would be him. If he were to be the one to keep her key and watch her house then she would definitely have to return home to get it back. Looking over at Alpha Takahiro waited for her to say something about the favor she needed.
 
“Takahiro, I'm going to leave my scooter with you while I'm gone.” Alpha offered.
 
Confused by Alpha's offer Takahiro looked at her trying to figure out why she wanted him to have her scooter.
 
“What? You're not taking your scooter with you?” Takahiro wondered.
 
Alpha smiled and replied to Takahiro's question, “No, I'm not. There probably won't be any gas stations at some of the places I plan on seeing.”
 
“Ahhh. I see.”
 
“I thought you could take it out every so often and ride it. It won't do it any good to just sit around at my house while I'm gone.”
 
Takahiro thought some more about Alpha's offer and put his hand to his mouth. He had ridden on the back of her scooter many times before. However, it would be the first time he would get the chance to drive it. He wasn't certain if he'd even know how to run the scooter.
 
“Okay I'll take it for you. I'm not sure if I can drive it though.” Takahiro responded.
 
Alpha looked at Takahiro for a moment and smiled. She then stood up, bending over as she placed her hands on her knees, and motioned for him to join her.
 
“Stand up for a moment Takahiro.” Alpha said.
 
Takahiro complied and stood up next to Alpha. Alpha looked over at Takahiro and saw how tall he had become. Standing up straight, he came up to Alpha's forehead. Alpha smiled quite surprised at how tall Takahiro had become. She knew he was the right size to start driving her scooter on his own.
 
“Look Takahiro! You're almost the exact same height I am!” Alpha exclaimed trying to get Takahiro excited about taking the scooter.
 
“Ah!” Takahiro replied brightly when he saw what Alpha saw.
 
“I don't think you'll have any problem driving the scooter.” Alpha added with a small chuckle.
 
“Okay.”
 
Alpha continued to smile and sat down once more. Takahiro saw what she had done and decided to sit next to her once more. Turning to face Alpha, he smiled and pulled his knees up again. Alpha brightened her smile and let out a small laugh before she continued their conversation.
 
“So you're what thirteen now?” Alpha inquired.
 
“Yeah, I am.” Takahiro replied.
 
“So you're growing up now aren't you?”
 
“Yeah and my knees hurt at night too. Granddad says it has to do with me growing up.”
 
Alpha took a moment to look up at single puffy white cloud in the sky and think about Takahiro. He was getting older right before her eyes. She didn't know how old she was or if she could ever age like he could but she was proud of him just the same.
 
“Growing up is an amazing thing.” Alpha commented.
 
With a bit of a sigh Alpha turned to look at Takahiro and smiled. At the rate he was growing Takahiro would be taller than Alpha when she returned.
 
“Next time I see you I'll bet you'll be taller than me.” Alpha said with a chuckle.
 
“You think so?” Takahiro wondered with a chuckle of his own.
 
The chuckles soon died off and the pair sat in silence once more. Alpha thought over her decision to leave her scooter with Takahiro and decided she was doing the right thing. Takahiro sat in silence looking out at the bay trying to accept the fact that Alpha was leaving while telling himself that she would one day return home.
 
“That's what I'll do. I'll leave my scooter with you.” Alpha announced breaking the silence.
 
“You'll have to show me how to ride it.” Takahiro responded.
 
Alpha smiled and looked Takahiro over once more. She noticed something quite interesting when they were both sitting down. Standing up Takahiro only came to her forehead, but when he sat next to her, he was the exact same height as she was. It was indeed a sign that the now teenage boy was growing up.
 
“You know we're the same height when we sit down like this.” Alpha commented with a large smile and a small blush to her cheeks.
 
Takahiro looked over at Alpha and gave a quick glance up and down at her. Seeing what she had noticed Takahiro could now understand some of the things Alpha and his granddad had been saying. If he kept on growing as he had been Takahiro would indeed be taller than Alpha when she returned home. Takahiro found the humor in the comment Alpha made and began to chuckle adding a smile of his own.
 
Alpha continued to smile at Takahiro and leaned in close to him. Closing her eyes, she placed her forehead against his. Takahiro's eyes went wide when he realized what Alpha was doing. Alpha then moved over to one side and placed her chin upon his shoulder. Takahiro began to blush and get very nervous at having Alpha be so affectionate with him. It was the first time she had shown something other than sisterly affection to him.
 
“W…Al…?” Takahiro stuttered to nervous to say anything.
 
“I'm sorry Takahiro. You don't need to worry. It's only for a little while. I'm sorry.” Alpha apologized trying to make Takahiro feel better about what was happening.
 
Takahiro said nothing in response to Alpha's apology and sat there eyes still wide and nervous. The blush on his face softened some and he began to relax a bit. However, Takahiro's eyes remained quite wide with surprise.
 
Alpha pulled away from Takahiro keeping the smile on her face. She stood up and motioned for Takahiro to follow suit. Looking a bit more relaxed Takahiro stood up and smiled back at Alpha. The smile was a friendly one that spoke of happiness rather than puppy love or nervousness. Once they were on their feet Alpha walked over to her scooter and waved Takahiro over to her.
 
“You get on the front this time.” Alpha said.
 
“Why?” Takahiro wondered.
 
“You wanted to learn how to drive my scooter so I'm going to teach you on the way home.”
 
“Oh…yeah…I did.”
 
Takahiro nervously climbed onto the front of the scooter and waited for Alpha get on the back. Once she was on the scooter Alpha wrapped her arms around Takahiro's waist. The teen remembered the time they stayed up for the first light of the New Year when he was younger. Alpha had wrapped him within the folds of her coat to keep him warm, which surprised him at the time. Once again, Takahiro found himself within Alpha's arms. This time, however, the tiny blush that returned to his face replaced his surprise.
 
For the next five minutes, Alpha explained to Takahiro where the gas and the breaks were on the scooter. She then showed him how to start the scooter and how to handle it when going around a curve. With the brief lesson over Takahiro turned the key and felt the scooter's engine turn over. He jumped slightly at the feel of the scooter starting beneath him and let it run for a few moments to get used to the feeling. When he had properly gotten used to the scooter's engine Takahiro twisted the throttle slightly and directed the scooter to where they had come from.
 
On the ride back to Alpha's house Alpha took the time to watch the scenery pass by. She was going to miss the bay and the town. There was the overlook that looked down upon the flooded city that lit up like a thousand blue lights dancing upon the waters of the ocean. There was the hill that looked down upon the grotto where Takahiro and Makki would play and swim. Alpha was going to miss it all but she needed to see what was out there for her. She needed to travel beyond what was familiar.
 
The scooter came to a stop in front of Alpha's house and Alpha climbed off. The house showed signs of repair and the mess that had once been the café looked presentable. There was wood piled neatly near the foundation of the extension to the original home. Takahiro looked at Alpha with a questioning glance wondering if she would just walk into the house. Alpha stood there waiting for Takahiro to stand up off the scooter. She didn't want to leave him without saying goodbye to him. After a moment of awkward silence between them Takahiro understood what Alpha was waiting for and got off the scooter.
 
“I'm going to miss you Alpha.” Takahiro said.
 
“I know you will because I'm going to miss you too.” Alpha responded.
 
“Goodbye Alpha.”
 
“Goodbye Takahiro.”
 
With the goodbyes said Alpha smiled and reached over to give Takahiro a hug. Once again, Takahiro got a wide nervous look on his face. However, this time he understood why Alpha had hugged him. Slowly Takahiro wrapped his own arms around Alpha and gave her a small squeeze.
 
“You take good care of yourself and my scooter.” Alpha said.
 
“I will. You be safe on the road Alpha.” Takahiro replied.