Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou Fan Fiction ❯ Alpha's Travels ❯ The Flight ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Alpha awoke early the next morning. Nai and the woman, whom Alpha took to calling Auntie, had woken up before the female robot. There was much to do at the airport in preparation for the delivery run that day. Nai was to deliver a small box and then return home. The offer he made to Alpha the night before had Alpha laying awake in anticipation for the ride in the airplane in the large futon. Laying there next to Auntie Alpha stared up at the ceiling imagining what the ride in the airplane would be like. It took the female robot over thirty minutes before sleep finally took over and she closed her eyes.
 
By the time Alpha dressed and left the apartment, Nai had brought his plane out of the hanger. Walking over to the plane Alpha placed her hand upon it and walked down its length. Alpha studied every contour, bolt, and seam taking in the tiniest details of the plane. She carefully studied the ailerons and the flaps on the wings noting the way they attached to the rest of the plane. It amazed Alpha how each part of the plane worked together to help it fly through the air. From propeller to tailfin each nut, bolt, and wire worked in unison to push the plane through the air and create flight. To Alpha the plane was more than a way to get from point A to point B by air, it was a thing of beauty.
 
Nai emerged from the reception house and saw Alpha had come down from the apartment. She was studying his plane like a child that had never seen one before. Ever since the tea session, the night before Nai couldn't get Alpha out of his mind. Alpha had a simple innocence about her that had Nai wanting more about her and the world around him. Alpha had explained in the apartment after they left the fire that she was on a journey away from home to discover more about the world. Nai found it very curious that Alpha hadn't been very far from her home until very recently. Alpha had the maturity of an adult yet the curiosity of a child and that was something that attracted him to her.
 
To Nai Alpha looked beautiful the way she was standing near the rudder of his plane. Reaching into his inside coat pocket Nai pulled out his camera. He wanted to capture Alpha the way she was at that very moment. Alpha chose that very moment to turn around and notice Nai. She saw he had a camera in his hands that looked like the one that she carried with her and heard a small click. Nai had captured Alpha the moment she turned to look at him. Alpha got a wide-eyed look of amazement when she realized that she was not the only one with a camera like hers. Reaching into her own coat pocket and then behind her back for the holster Alpha pulled out her camera and studied it for a moment.
 
After a moment of studying her camera, Alpha looked up and got Nai's attention, “Nai!”
 
Nai looked over at Alpha and noticed the camera in her hands. It was similar to the one he hand in his hands.
 
“Look Nai! I have a camera too and it's the same kind!” Alpha told him excitedly.
 
Nai walked over to Alpha, placed his hand to his chin, and studied her camera for a moment getting a closer look at it. The camera was indeed the same type of camera he owned.
 
“Huh, I guess you do. Very unusual.” Nai commented.
 
Alpha smiled and got a small blush on her face as she responded to Nai's comment, “You know somehow this little camera has become my most prized treasure.”
 
Nai became even more curious about the camera and wanted to get an even better look at it.
 
“Huh? Let me see that for a moment.” Nai requested.
 
Alpha gave into Nai's request and handed over her camera to him. Nai lifted the cover on the eye-like lens and looked at the blue orb. He then turned the camera around and studied its curves and contours comparing them to his own camera. While they were indeed the same make of camera, there were enough differences to make Alpha's camera a rare model
 
“Wow…this isn't just any ordinary camera.” Nai commented.
 
“Huh?” Alpha questioned as she wondered what Nai meant by his comment.
 
Nai gave Alpha a tiny smile as he handed back her camera and explained his comment, “You know I believe your camera really is a treasure. I'm quite impressed.”
 
The small blush on Alpha's face deepened slightly as she widened her smile and looked at her camera once more. Alpha had always considered it something precious to her because of its sentimental value but now she could see that it was something rare as well. Alpha began to appreciate her camera more once she understood what Nai had told her.
 
“Really? I got it as a gift.” Alpha told him a moment later.
 
“Hmmm? That's once nice present to receive.” Nai commented impressed with the person who sent it to Alpha.
 
“Yes.” Alpha agreed with him.
 
Nai then looked up at the clouds and decided to engage in some small talk about cameras and the photos they took with them. He figured they had stumbled upon a safe topic of conversation and discovered a shared interest in photography.
 
“You know I have a friend who's always looking for new pictures from me.” Nai said initiating the conversation.
 
“I see.” Alpha remarked as she looked up at the same clouds Nai was looking at.
 
*********
 
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Alpha's Travels
Chapter Six: The Flight
 
*********
 
Alpha placed her camera back in its treasured spot behind her back in the holster and turned her attention to Nai. She could tell he was ready to get going for the day. Alpha had seen how Nai got out of his plane the day before but she wondered how he got into his plane. Looking at Nai a bit confused, Alpha waited for him to show her how to climb into the plane.
 
“There're some footholds on the side of the plane for you to climb up Alpha. It's just like climbing up a ladder.” Nai explained when he saw the look of confusion on Alpha's face.
 
Alpha looked at the plane once more and saw what Nai was referring. There under the back seat of the plane were a series of small indentations in the side of the plane. The larger ones were for the feet while the smaller ones to the side of them were for the hands. It really is like a ladder, Alpha thought.
 
“Oh I see it now.” Alpha commented.
 
At the same time, Alpha and Nai climbed up the side of the plane and into the cockpit. Nai took his place in the front of the plane and Alpha took the back seat.
 
“There's a headset hanging from a hook on the panel in front of you. Put that on and flip the small switch on the left side so we can communicate with each other.” Nai said as he put on his own headset.
 
Alpha looked down and saw the headset Nai had mentioned and placed it upon her own head and flipped the small switch on the left to the on position. The earphones would help to not only block out the sound of the engine but also allow them to talk to each other as they flew.
 
“Can you hear me Alpha?” Nai asked over the headset.
 
“I can hear you just fine.” Alpha replied.
 
Before they sat down, Nai turned on the plane. The propeller began to whirr and spin faster and faster. The sound of the motor took Alpha by surprise. The Texan began to shake and rattle showing off its age. Nai took his seat in the front and began to prepare to take off. Alpha followed suit a moment later and sat down in her own seat. As she sat down, Alpha tried to look out to the plane but found she could not see a thing.
 
“Nai, I can't see out the front of the plane.” Alpha said over the headset she wore.
 
Nai looked back and saw that Alpha was lower in her seat than he was. He had a small cushion behind his seat in case a passenger needed the extra comfort. He didn't know how well it would boost Alpha in her seat but the cushion would help her some. Standing up and turning around Nai reached over to hand Alpha the little cushion.
 
“Here I have a cushion you can use. I don't know how well it'll work but it should do.” Nai offered.
 
Alpha took the cushion and thanked Nai for his kindness, “Thanks Nai.”
 
With the cushion under her Alpha could see better than she had been able too before. It wasn't the biggest boost but it was enough to let her see out the front better.
 
The plane began to pull away from the hanger slowly. Alpha noticed a pair of glasses in a small compartment in front of her and put them on to protect her eyes from the wind. The wind picked up and blew Alpha's hair back. The sound of the engine was very loud even with the earphones on. Try as she might Alpha could not keep the sound from overpowering her ears. Nai looked back at Alpha to inform her he was ready to take off.
 
“Here we go.” Nai said over his headset.
 
“Okay.” Alpha replied as she prepared herself for the take off.
 
The propeller on the front of the plane began to spin faster and faster as Nai let up the break and eased the yolk forward. Pushing on the aileron pedals with his feet Nai let them flap up and down for a moment before easing the stick-like yolk forward some more. The sound of the engine getting louder and louder startled Alpha. She then put her arms at either side of her head in an attempt to drown out the noise of the engine. The plane began to move forward rattling and shaking showing off its age.
 
As the plane picked up speed, Alpha began to shake and bounce. The plane seemed to find every single crack and rut in the runway enhancing the shaking she was already receiving from the plane. Alpha gave up on trying to drown out the sound of the engine and held on to the sides of the seat to keep herself as steady as possible. The plane picked up speed going faster and faster. Alpha thought they would go off the runway before they could get into the air. That's when it happened.
 
Nai pulled back on the yolk as far as it would go. The nose of the plane began to lift off the ground followed by the cockpit and the tail of the plane. As the plane pulled upward into the air Alpha felt her stomach, get pushed against the back of the seat. Alpha took in a loud gulping breath to keep her “heart” from jumping into her throat. The rush of the wind whipped past her hair blowing it in every which direction. Alpha could feel her “heart” beat a mile a minute with both excitement and fear. Alpha's eyes had gone wide and she arched her eyebrows to the limit as the plane began to tilt ever so slightly.
 
The plane continued its steady climb moving upward into the sky. Alpha turned her head to the right and looked out the cockpit. She could see the entire landscape stretch out before her. Utility poles peeked out from the trees of a forest and she could see roads as far as the eye could see. The plane began to level off and turn slightly to the right as it passed a few low clouds in the sky. Alpha was amazed at what she was experiencing. For the first time in her existence Alpha was actually flying.
 
“We really are flying.” Alpha commented softly with an air of awe in her voice.
 
Nai heard Alpha's comment over his headset and tried not to chuckle at the innocent awe of her comment. Wanting to make the experience one she would never forget Nai thought of a way to make it even better. He remembered the interesting sensations he got when he plugged in the cord to his camera to the instrument panel of the plane and placed it into his mouth. Nai thought Alpha would enjoy experiencing the same thing.
 
“Oh yeah that's right we are flying. Say Alpha do you have the cord to your camera with you?”
 
Continuing to look out the cockpit to the right Alpha responded to Nai's question, “Yes I do.”
 
Alpha took the cord out of the small pouch on her belt and waited for Nai to tell her what to do with it. She was curious as to what he wanted her to do with the cord to her camera.
 
“Put your cord into your mouth and place it into the panel in front of you. It's interesting what happens when you do.” Nai instructed.
 
“Eh? Okay…” Alpha replied as she searched the panel, “Here.”
 
The moment Alpha put the cord in her mouth the sensors on her tongue picked up the information from the cord. She could feel the plane moving through the air. It was unlike anything she had ever felt before. The sensation took Alpha by surprise.
 
“Oh!” Alpha exclaimed as she felt a strange feeling over her body.
 
“Can you feel the wind on your tongue?” Nai asked Alpha wondering if she felt what he did, “With a little practice you can tell what the wind speed is with your tongue.”
 
“My tongue?”
 
It was then it happened the plane threw Alpha out into the sky naked. All at once, Alpha felt as though she were lighter than air. The wind rushed over her lifting her into the air. It was as though Alpha gained complete freedom soaring through the air. She could see the clouds dancing below her. She could feel the wind currents lifting her guiding her showing her where to go. Alpha's eyes were wide with a look of surprise on them as she realized what was happening. Alpha was flying.
 
“There's no plane!” Alpha exclaimed.
 
From the front of the cockpit, Nai had a hard time understanding what Alpha meant and commented the only way he knew how, “Eh?”
 
Alpha continued her flight through the air feeling the same power Nai's plane had. It was as though someone or something transformed her body. Her arms were no longer hands, elbows, and shoulders but a pair of wings. Her legs had become a solid single piece that looked like a pointed tail. Alpha became a creature that commanded the air. She was one with the wind and had complete control over it. Alpha had power and speed unlike anything she had ever felt before. The slightest movement changed the direction she moved. Alpha could feel the air currents rode them as though she were swimming the currents of the ocean.
 
Back inside the Texan Alpha crouched low in the cockpit and shut her eyes tight as she hugged her knees. Nai looked back at Alpha wondering what was wrong. He didn't know why Alpha thought there was no plane anymore. It puzzled Nai as he continued to fly his plane to his delivery destination.
 
Alpha saw the plane and turned her body towards the Texan. It was a kindred spirit in the skies. It shared the same grace and power she had. It rode the currents and commanded the skies just as she was doing. The Texan banked to the right inviting Alpha to join it and fly in unison. All at once, Alpha flew to the right and positioned herself beneath its wings. Together as one Alpha and the Texan flew in perfect harmony. They were two birds flying side by side commanding the skies and riding the air currents.
 
“Alpha…you…” Nai said gently trying to get her attention.
 
“Ahh…It's like being under water.” Alpha replied cryptically.
 
Nai sat in the cockpit wondering what Alpha was referring. Something was happening in the back of the cockpit and Nai didn't know what it could be. Alpha was experiencing something unique and special. It was something he would never be able experience. It was something that made Alpha different.
 
“Water?” Nai finally wondered a moment later.
 
“Yes.” Alpha replied.
 
As the plane flew on Alpha continued to soar side by side with it through the skies.