Yotoden Fan Fiction ❯ Empress ❯ The Coming of the Storm ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:

I don't own Wrath of the Ninja (aka Yotoden) and I don't know crud about the show- that includes both major details and true historical references. So most of this story is original and completely AU while other parts are staggeringly similar to the movie. Some characters will make appearances in other roles- most notably, Ryoma. Most importantly, the "history" I write of in this fic is fiction- I made it up. It is merely there to lay the scene and explain some of the more complicated issues. I'm still unsure how much of a fantasy this is going to turn into, so there won't be much yet. Plus, the title is tentative. I may change that as well. *Lol* Maybe I'll just use the Japanese word for "empress" instead.

Warnings:

This is an alternate universe. That's the biggest warning, so although there are similarities with Wrath of the Ninja there are also major storyline differences. There's also violence and my attempt at writing martial arts fight scenes (coming soon after all of this political crap). So far, it still holds its PG-13 rating. Title is still under debate. Any suggestions/comments? Leave a review. ^_~

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *>

Empress

By Duo no Tsuin

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*>

Chapter One

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*>

The smooth touch of the wind against her cheek caused a small shiver to pass through her. Capped with a light mist, the green mountains filled her view. Despite the solemness of the scene, the sun's light still shone. Two little birds danced on the wind high above the chaotic world. They danced with such grace- innocent grace. They knew nothing of the things happening. Their minds had no thought which paralleled the myriad of thoughts within her mind.

Ayame was standing on the stone balcony that morning contemplating the day's agenda. She was but one of many who was now in the mountain fortress. The fortress of the Great Empress.

The Empress, a woman of nearly fifty, had led the people of her land since the age of nineteen. When the previous Emperor, her father, died suddenly, it was decided that his only heir, a girl, would take his place. The Imperial Council of the Emperor, who were all men, had believed that putting a young, impressionable woman on the throne would make their lives free of disagreement and uninterrupted ruling. Their plan, however, failed. The Empress was a young woman with a strong will, senses of good, and responsibility to the welfare of her people. Through the thirty years of her reign, the empire had prospered. The Golden Age of the empire was filled with the acquisition of knowledge, land, and wealth. The empire was now calm and content.

Escaped black hairs caressed Ayame's neck. She shivered again. The wind had become colder. She looked up to a sky filled with clouds of both light and dark. Intimately dancing, or perhaps fighting, the clouds moved quickly to cover the sun. "Something is not right. The day began beautifully, as was the Great Empire, but now I feel the coming of the storm."

"Talking to yourself again, Mistress Ayanosuke?"

"Master Sakon, must you always find fault with everything that I do?"

"A true warrior learns from his mistakes."

"And have you, the Great Whirlwind, ever made any mistakes?"

"Must you always ask questions?"

"How am I to learn if I ask no questions?"

"Humph. You are a stubborn student."

"No more so than the teacher."

As quick as Sakon the Whirlwind was, he took his exit slowly and gracefully. He bowed his head slightly, closing his eyes as he did so. "Until our audience with the Empress then." He turned and walked. Suddenly, he stopped. "I feel it too," he simply said with a note of compassion. Then he walked away leaving Ayame alone again. She looked outward.

The sky was now dark. Ayame thought of her village. And of her family. It was as if the very sky itself was in mourning. Would it rain? I hope it rains. Then the sky will cry for me. No tears must fall from my eyes. I must not let them see me cry. Especially not Sakon.

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*>

As Ayame walked side by side with Sakon, she thought she would crumble onto the cold floor if it were not for him. He has enough quiet strength to power the both of us. I do not know how I would have faired this journey without him. If it was not for him . . . I might not have made it. Especially after . . . after . . .

"Mistress Ayanosuke? It is time," Sakon said. Ayame shook her head to clear her thoughts from her mind. Now she must face the Empress. She stood tall.

The large, red doors opened inward. A man stood in front of them. He had a tall orange and gold hat on top of his head. The council member had his hands tucked in his large, orange sleeves. "Please come in. The Empress has been expecting you." He led them down a long, red carpet and stopped at the foot of some stairs. They kneeled on the floor and bowed lowly.

"Yes, enough of that now. Lift you eyes to mine." Traditionally it was forbidden to make eye contact with anyone in a political position, but the Empress lived by her own rules. Ayame looked up the stairs and to a large red, black, and gold throne. On it sat a woman clothed in red and gold. The Empress had her hair up, making her look older and wiser. Her face was withdrawn and implied snobbery. When she spoke again, her voice was low and loud, but surrounded with compassion. "Please. Tell me what has happened."

Ayame's hand went behind her. She released the catch on her scabbard and brought it forward. She held it up for the Empress to see. "Great Empress, this is the kodachi of the Kasumi Clan. The Kasumi have taught the people of my village for generations the art of the Ninja."

"Yes, as have many others . . . get to the point, Mistress Ayanosuke," said one of the advisors of the Empress impatiently.

"Quiet, General Ryoma. She is a guest here and will, therefore, be treated as one. Understood?"

"Yes, Empress."

"Mistress Ayanosuke, please tell us what has brought you here to my fortress and far from your home."

"Yes, Empress." Ayame closed her eyes. She took a deep breath. "One week ago, my village was attacked . . . and destroyed. I was the only survivor."

"The same thing happened to the village Hyoga by the sea. I, too, was the only survivor of my clan," Sakon continued."

"So what do you want of me?" The Empress asked.

"All we ask is that you permit us to stay here and find a place among your people-" Ayame began.

"And this is what you are worried about? Your own comfort?" Ryoma accused.

"No!" Ayame fired back. "Empress, we came to warn you of this threat! Our villages were gone in one night! How long do you think it would take them to conquer one concentrated population in a fortress? How long before you and your people are dead as well and everything you have spent your entire life achieving is completely gone?"

"Mistress Ayanosuke, calm yourself," Sakon whispered.

"No. Let her be," the Empress warned. "All of you."

"I am sorry, Empress. I only hope that you will never know a loss like mine," Ayame uttered.

"I could not imagine this threat's intention."

"Like it or not," Sakon said, "We survived the attacks on our villages. We were the only survivors. We are the only people who know what we are dealing with. If you will permit us to stay, then we will help you protect the fortress."

"Do you know how the enemy took you by surprise?"

"Yes."

"Then you could, theoretically, tell us how we could better our defenses."

"Oh, please!" Ryoma interjected. "Do you honestly expect us to fall for this? How do we know that you both are not spies for this enemy? Even if you are telling the truth, which is quite unlikely, we do not even know if this army moves toward us. And if they do, well, we are the Imperial Fortress of the Empress. Our army consists of the bravest, strongest soldiers in all the land. They have been taught the most effective techniques of warfare and they have been taught by the best. I, myself, have trained most of the soldiers that you see here today and even the ones who are not. The ones who are not died bravely and with much honor."

"And what of my people, then?" Ayame said quietly.

"What about them?"

"Did they die with bravery and honor?"

"They died protecting their home." He paused. "Yes, I suspect they did."

"Do bravery and honor truly make a difference then? Are your soldiers any different than those of my village?"

"No," he said just as quietly.

Sakon spoke next. "But there is an advantage which your fortress now has that our two villages did not."

"What is that?" Ayame asked.

"Us . . . together . . ."

"Sakon . . ." Ayame breathed.

". . . we have both been witnesses to the attacks of this new enemy. We both know their strengths, the importance of surprise, their infallible mentality, their determination, their strategy-"

"Their weaknesses?" Ryoma implied.

"Some, yes."

"But Sakon-"

"Do you have anything to add, Mistress Ayanosuke?" The Empress asked.

But it is all a lie . . . Ayame clenched her fist. "No," she answered firmly. Her word echoed in the marble room. It is almost as if they all know I am holding something back. But how can I tell them? How can I tell them that I . . .

The Empress broke the silence first. "Director of Housing . . . come forth."

The man in question stepped from the many beside the Empress. "What is it which you desire, Empress?" the official said as he bowed halfway.

"Prepare two rooms in the east wing . . ."

"But those rooms are-"

"For very important guests who intend to stay for a while."

Ayame spoke, "Special treatment is not necessary."

The Empress looked sharply toward Ayame. "Are you implying that the hospitality of the Empress is below your acceptance?"

"No, Empress," Sakon said slowly. "Mistress Ayanosuke merely means that we come from modest villages and the simplest room would be more than adequate."

"So, you come here to my fortress, asking to stay, and when I offer to you my hospitality you calmly . . . throw it back onto my face?"

"No!"Ayame said. "We never intended to insult you or your hospitality. Why can't you just make other arrangements-"

Sakon interrupted, "We would be honored. Thank you for your generous hospitality, Empress."

"And for believing us." Sakon looked at Ayame. I hope they believe us. But only time will tell.

"Prepare two east wing rooms."

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *>

To be continued.

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *>

So what do you think? Yeah, I know it's different from the movie . . . hence the AU tag. So how did that little girl get from a burning village to the fortress? And how did she and this "Sakon" meet? Why did she suddenly change her name? What's up with that Ryoma guy? Don't worry, she'll explain soon enough. And for those of you familiar with the movie, she'll remind you how they met but it will be my version of course. ^_^ Yeah, I butchered the main story idea. *shrugs* Trust me, it gets better. At least one more(or is it two?) "boring" chapter before the pace picks up, and Ayame reveals what happened after her brother woke her up. Send all comments, questions, and suggestions to duonotsuin@yahoo.com