Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Rise of the Shadows ❯ Chapter 1 - Duelling in the Light ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Note: Yugioh and any of the monsters depicted within are the property of...well...whoever has them copyrighted. This is simply for entertainment, you don't like it, don't read it.
With all that done, please, enjoy.

Further Note: The following story is based on the season of Yugioh where the Pharoah gets his memories back, in that the creatures are real and the shadow games etc etc etc. No characters from the series will be involved. This is a completely different world, but with similar rules.

----------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

It is said that once our world was a beautiful, peaceful place. That is, before the sundering. The disaster that ripped our world apart, and left it the barren wasteland it now is.

As the human-race struggled to adapt to this new world, something emerged that would push us even further to the brink of extinction....

The Shadow Creatures.

Born from the darkness that we believe caused the destruction of the world, they stalked and hunted mankind, until the point where only a few of us remained. Then, a hero appeared, a creature similar to those of the shadows, but one who commanded the light, instead of serving the darkness. This being taught the remaining men and women how to capture a beast for their very own, to do battle against the creatures.

He then told us of their origins.

In another world, these creatures had existed once, long ago. But the evil that had spawned them was destroyed by a great Pharoah, and they were banished. But evil does not rest forever, and while it was beaten in that world, it could return, to ours.

This great evil had opened a rift between our world of light, and the dark realm of shadows.

The being took the remaining humans, now empowered with the means to fight the shadows, and led them to the rift, where a great battle ensued. At the end, all lay in ruin, but the rift had been sealed. The creature of light who had aided our people told us the evil would one day return, and that he too would rejoin us.

He also told us his name before he left for the heavens. It is known to us even now.

Mahad, the Dark Magician.

-------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------

His eyes were glued to the tape. He loved duelling, and the history of it was even cooler! Okay, so it was a load of rubbish about monsters being real and everything, but hey, was an awesome idea!
"Kyle Williams" the teacher called out
"Y-Yes miss?" he replied. He always got called out for questions on duelling. It was about the only lesson he was any good at.
"Before we go for lunch, can you tell us the names of the 3 creatures that led the Shadow Army?"
Kyle grinned "Easily miss. The 3 dark ones, Obelisk the Tormentor, Slifer the Sky Dragon, and the Winged Dragon of Ra."
The teacher smiled "Very good Kyle. Now everyone, enjoy your lunch, and I'll see you next week" As she spoke, the bell rang, and all the kids left the room hurriedly. Miss Kamachi smiled. While most teachers thought that duelling was nothing more than a pastime now, she believed that once there had been these ancient creatures. Either way, duelling was big business these days, and there were alot of tournaments that were held. Kids also duelled in the street using portable duelling systems, or PDS's for short.
"Oh my!" she exclaimed "That reminds me, there's a duel in the assembly now! I should hurry"

She arrived just in time. She tried to see who was on the raised platform, but she couldn't get close enough. The crowd was rather large, and the audience were excited. "This is gonna rock!" said one of the observers "Yeah, that Kyle is gonna get his butt kicked" replied another. 'Kyle...' Miss Kamachi thought. She knew Kyle had a rather lax attitude to school, and it had gotten him into a lot of trouble in the past. She moved closer to the stage, gently pushing past the children in her way, and managed to get close enough to see who he was duelling against. She gasped "Oh no...not Mr Portman..."
Unfortunately, it was Mr Portman, the languages teacher, and renowned duellist. Reputed to have one of the best decks this side of the city, and was merciless in duels. He smiled at Kyle
"Well Kyle. Are you ready to learn for once?"
"HA like you'll be able to teach ME anything about duelling Mr Portman" Kyle retorted. 'Wish I knew I could back up those words' thought Kyle anxiously
"Arrogant boy, you'll soon see" the teacher said angrily as he powered up his wrist-held PDS. Kyle did the same and drew his 5 cards
"Well then Mr P, who goes first?"
"You can, no need to rush things. I'll crush you in due time"
"Fine" Kyle drew his sixth card "I'll set a monster and end it there"

"Pathetic" Portman commented as he drew "This is a move! I'll play the spell card Legendary Ocean" The field was covered instantly in water, and Kyle had to jump to avoid being lifted by the ruins that appeared "And now, I'll summon my Terrorking Salmon (2400/1000) to the field"
As the giant fish appeared Kyle held his hands up in protest
"Hey hey hey, I know you're an old-timer, but surely you remember that your monster is a level 5, needs one tribute to be brought out!"
"Arrogant snot-nosed punk, I was duelling before you were born!! Legendary Ocean reduces the level of all water monsters on the field and in our hands by one level, making Terrorking Salmon a level 4. Not to mention he also gets a lovely 200 point boost"
(2600/1200)
"Oh...crap...." muttered Kyle
"Now my creature, attack and destroy Kyle's face-down monster!"
The fish lurched towards Kyle's monster, and Kaiser Seahorse appeared (1700/1650) to defend himself. But, he was no match for Portmans fish, and was easily destroyed. Kyle covered his eyes as he was hit by the dusty remains of his monster, and exclaimed, "You may have destroyed him, but I have many more tricks up my sleeves, just you wait!!"
"No matter boy. This is just the beginning. You have nothing in your deck that can withstand the power of the sea. And once you're beaten, you'll be doing detention for the rest of your time here"
Kyle gupled. 'I have to come up with something good on my next draw, or I'll be writing lines till I'm as old as he is!'

"Come on Kyle, you can do it!!" cried someone from the audience. More began to join in and shout words of encouragement for Kyle. Even Miss Kamachi had her fingers crossed in hope that her star pupil would somehow win this.

"Alright" Kyle exclaimed confidently "It's my draw!"
"Make it something good Kyle, or this will be no challenge" Portman replied
Kyle drew, and took a look at his card. His eyes widened, and Portman laughed
"Not what you hoped? Oh well, guess it's detention for you then."
Kyle looked up at Portman, and opened his mouth to speak."
"I...." he started.....