Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ Life in the Pro League, or Lack Thereof! ❯ The Creepy Makeup Artist ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: It has come to my attention that I missed a golden opportunity for humor last chapter. I agree that it would have been a great joke, but we all make mistakes, right? In pretty much every movie review, the reviewer says, “It would have been so much better/funnier/realistic if so-and-so had happened!” So I’m not the only one to do such a thing.

Rest assured, Ryo still thinks the interviewer is stupid.

The Japanese-English letter styles are the same and will be throughout this story.

Disclaimer: I don’t own Yu-Gi-Oh. Sorry, no jokes this time!



It was a time of mortal peril for Ryo. All of his capabilities would be put to the test. He would be lucky to escape with his life.

Ryo realized he was thinking out loud when his agent said, “It’s just a photo shoot! No need to be melodramatic.”

Ryo started to respond, but cut himself off as they reached the room where he would be prepared for the pictures.



The first person he saw was a woman who was thankfully dressed more tastefully than the interviewer. She said, “Hi, you must be the cover guy they told me about. I’m Lynette, and I’ll be your wardrobe person. There will be other people doing your hair and makeup.”



Ryo cursed this woman’s parents for giving her a name that was impossible for him to pronounce without seriously warping the first syllable.

---------

Despite that horrid name, Rina..Lina...Rinette...whatever it was... turned out to be a nice person. She actually gave Ryo privacy when he was changing into his new set of clothes.

Just then, Ryo realized there was something seriously wrong with these clothes. He decided to immediately bring this to the attention of Lena...Ranette...DARN IT, STUPID NAME!

He walked out from the little curtained changing area and said, “Excuse me, but I think these pants are too big.”

Ren...forget it, he’d just call her “the woman”...said, “Huh? No they aren’t.”


But I can see the waistband of my underwear!” protested Ryo

“That’s the point.”


“How is indecency a point?”

“It’s the style here. Plus, the magazines will sell better if you show a bit of skin.”

Ryo firmly decided that Americans were disgusting. The only good part about this outfit was that this shirt did not have anything at all to do with flying carrots.

------------

After that incident, it was time for the styling. Much to Ryo’s dismay, the hair and makeup people were just like the interviewer. It made him miss the wardrobe person a lot.

Ooh, you have such nice hair!” gushed one of the women while running her fingers through it.

Ryo backed away quickly, but that just made the woman laugh.

And she didn’t stop there. The whole time she was fixing his hair, she kept making those ridiculous comments about how NICE and PERFECT Ryo’s hair was. At the same time, she was unmercilessly yanking all the tangles out with an intimidating comb. And he thought his mom had been the champion tangle-yanker.

Ryo thought vaguely that maybe it was time for a haircut, but knew he would never get to it. That is, unless his mom had anything to say about it.

After that mini-torture session, it was time for makeup. Fortunately, this person did not say anything about his hair. Unfortunately, she had a comment for just about everything else.

“Your eyes are so big! I’ve never seen anything quite like them. And I’ve never worked with such good skin before. Most models we get here need concealer like you wouldn’t believe!”

Ryo got the strong impression that this woman would end up asking for him to marry her if he didn’t put a stop to her chatter. He was almost right.

“You know, my schedule is clear this afternoon, and that new comedy movie got good reviews. Would you want to...?”

Ryo abruptly whirled around in his seat and said as calmly as he could, “You do realize that you’re almost old enough to be my mother, right?”
The woman started and said sadly, “Oh, I...didn’t think of that. I guess you’re right...”

There was then an awkward silence that lasted until the woman was finished with the makeup.

------------
The pictures were to be taken in a large, white room. There were several props and pieces of furniture in this room.

To his great relief, Ryo noticed that the photographer was a man.

The first pictures weren’t so bad. Ryo didn’t even have to smile. The photographer explained that the readers of the magazine would think of the picture as being more attractive if he didn’t smile. Or something like that.

Ryo then realized that he had never gotten another pair of pants. He pulled the pants up as much as he could and wished he had a belt.

There were pictures taken from all different angles. Full-on, profile, even some from behind. Ryo started thinking that maybe, just maybe, he could get through this without embarrassment.

These hopes were dashed when the photographer abruptly said, “Okay, take your shirt off. The magazine specifically requested some shirtless pictures.”

Oh joy. Now there wouldn’t be any shirt to cover those ridiculously baggy pants!

Just then, Ryo heard a crash from outside the room. Apparently, the makeup person had been spying through the window and had just fainted. The photographer said, “Don’t mind her. She’s a bit...unusual.”

After Ryo posed in several ways he was sure would look absolutely ridiculous, the photographer was finally done. With a sense of relief, Ryo went to put on his own CORRECTLY FITTING clothes. The makeup person had thankfully been moved by the tiume he stepped out of the room.



When Ryo got back to the hotel, his agent, who had followed him, said, “Okay, what should we do now? There’s fancy restaurants everywhere, there’s dance clubs and sightseeing, there’s...”

Ryo interrupted with, “I have a great idea. Let’s play a game. It’s called see-how-quickly-we-can-be-on-the-flight-back-to-Tokyo. I think we should aim for three hours.”

The agent knew there was no arguing with Ryo when he was in this mood. In fact, they were on the plane in two hours!