Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ Life in the Pro League, or Lack Thereof! ❯ A Very Slobbery Dog ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]


Disclaimer: I don’t own Yu Gi Oh, but I DO OWN THIS STORY the last time I checked.



For a while, not much happened. Ryo won a couple more duels, avoided fangirls, and laughed at all the absurd tabloid articles that involved him in some way.

He hadn’t even realized he’d won his fifth straight duel until said tabloids made a big deal about it. According to the tabloids, Ryo had celebrated this victory by getting drunk and dancing on top of a table.

Actually, he had done something a bit more mundane: gone to his apartment, worked on an English crossword puzzle book he’d bought in America, and fallen asleep on the couch without changing into his pajamas. But he knew the tabloids would want to make up something more interesting.

------------

When Ryo won his sixth duel, he decided to do something even MORE exciting-channel surf on his TV until he found some random game show. The game show was so pointless, Ryo had almost fallen asleep in his chair when his phone rang.

Why was it that his phone rang every time he was trying to get some sleep?

The person calling was Ryo’s mom. For approximately ten minutes, Ryo had to listen to his mom’s monologue about how proud she was of him. Somehow, that turned into a rant about how he had to take better care of himself. That in turn turned into a request that Ryo visit his family for a couple of days. Ryo accepted just so he could hang up the darned phone already.

The next day, he regretted doing this. Sure, he loved his family and all, but they could be a bit eccentric. Okay, very eccentric!



The Marafuji residence was located on the very edge of the general Tokyo area. Ryo had to admit, it was nice to be able to ride his bike without being reduced to swearing at maniac drivers all the time.

When he reached the house, he noticed with some relief that his mother had taken down the ugly lawn gnome which had been messing up the front yard for about five years.

As soon as Ryo knocked on the door, he heard the familiar loud barking. It could only be one thing-their pet dog, Tetsusaiga.

Ryo thought that was a stupid name for a dog. Sho had insisted on that name when they’d adopted the dog several years ago.
But Ryo had no more time to ponder the name, because Tetsusaiga was currently running out the door and trying to lick Ryo’s face. Since Tetsusaiga was a big shaggy dog who weighed approximately forty kilograms, Ryo had no choice but to submit to the slobber.

Finally, Sho managed to grab Tetsusaiga by the collar and force him back in the house. No matter how annoying Sho could get, Ryo had to admit that he’d missed him. After all, they hadn’t seen each other since the Pro League draft.

Just then, Ryo’s mom walked out. This got Tetsusaiga so excited that he started chasing his tail enthusiastically.

As Ryo expected, his mom immediately started in on another rant.

“You are getting too thin, young man! Have you been eating properly? I bet you’ve been just eating ramen. Am I right? Yep, I thought so. Fortunately, I’m cooking up a nice, healthy meal tonight. I expect you to eat it all and have seconds. Yes, you too, Sho. By the way, you both need haircuts! We’ll do that after dinner, okay? Hey wait a minute, where did they go?”

The two boys had fled into the house as soon as they heard the word “haircut”!



Ryo and Sho decided to stay in Ryo’s old room to avoid the haircuts of doom. Thankfully, it looked just as Ryo had left it during the last vacation from school. Specifically, so clean that Sho often complained that the completely bare white carpet blinded him.

They worked on their decks until Tetsusaiga somehow managed to push the closed door ajar. For just a few seconds, he stood in the doorway, panting heavily. Slobber dripped off his chin and mingled with his black fur. But this was no time to be mentally writing descriptive essays, which was soon proven as the dog bounded into the room and somehow managed to pin both boys down at once. There was no stopping that dog when his mission was to lick someone’s face!

At least he didn’t drool on any important cards. The ones he did mess up could easily be purchased for a couple hundred yen at any shop.

The torment only ended when it was time for Tetsusaiga’s supper. Shortly thereafter, it was time for the humans to eat as well.
Mrs. Marafuji was as good as her word. She had cooked up an American-like quantity of food. Okay, maybe not QUITE that much.

At least it was real food, and not American QUALITY as well as quantity.

Many topics were discussed during dinner.The main ones were the latest letter from the boys’ dad (who was always on business trips), discussions about America, and a rather amusing story about Tetsusaiga’s escapades at the veterinarian’s office the week before.
It was good while it lasted, but Mrs. Marafuji soon made it clear that she had not forgotten about the haircuts. Fortunately, she agreed to just doing a trim. It was still complete and utter torture for both boys.

After that, Ryo and Sho stayed up as late as they could. Finally, Mrs. Marafuji had to walk into the room and drag Sho into his own room.

As Ryo fell asleep, he thought, ‘one day down, one day and one night to go!’




A/N: For those who are interested, Tetsusaiga the dog is based off my neighbors’ dog, Lucas. Lucas is a very big and slobbery black lab.