Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ The only opinion that matters! ❯ Wherein Everything Changes! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: This chapter is basically filling in stuff that was glossed over in the show. I hope it's believable!

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. And I'm really happy that I managed to remember the disclaimer two chapters in a row!

-------------------------

A long time passed. How long? I have no idea. I had more important things to keep track of, such as where I put my squeaky toy.

However, the important thing was that I'd known my Person for quite a while. My life was routine and predictable. That was the way I liked it. Note the key word: WAS routine!

I had thought that my Person was going away on just another trip. He always came back after a few days. I'd have to put up with the old lady, but my Person always got me a new toy to make up for it.

This time was different. My Person didn't come back. After a while, I had almost forgotten that he existed. I was almost starting to like the old lady's neck ribbons!

And then, just when I least expected it, my Person came back!

---------------------------

He just walked in through the door one day. I was dozing in a particularly agreeable patch of sunlight when I saw him. I ran into a wall in my rush to see him. I was embarrassed that I had done such an undignified thing, but my Person didn't seem to mind.

The old lady saw my Person at the same time. Judging by what I'd learned about human emotions, she was happy. "Where have you BEEN? I've been so worried about you!" she said. But her tone of voice didn't sound angry like it had when I had gotten into the cat food bag.

After a brief moment of silence, the old lady started talking again. "What...you look terrible! Did you even eat when you were away? How many times have I told you that you have to take breaks from your research?!" NOW she sounded angry!

Wait a minute! She said "eat"! Did that mean it was suppertime? I meowed eagerly.

Sadly, neither human noticed me. My Person said, "It's okay, Mom. I just got sick when I was exploring the Mayan ruins. I'm getting better. I'll just rest a bit, and I'll come back here in a few days." With that, he put me in the Cage of Doom. I didn't even object. I was just happy to have my Person back!

-------------------------

I guess I had assumed that my Person would be spending time with me now that he was home. Apparently, I wasn't very good at assuming things. As soon as we got home, my Person locked himself in his Special Room.

I was not allowed to even set foot in the Special Room. I couldn't see why. It was full of stuff that I could knock over and chase. It was fun! However, every time I played in that room, I would be confronted by the squirt bottle from my days as a kitten.

So my Person stayed in the Special Room for a really, really long time. Someone else came into the house to feed me and do cleaning and stuff. This new person was okay, but not nearly as smart as my person. This new person didn't even sing the Element Song! This, I believed, was a crime punishable by being ignored by me.

Occasionally, I would hear weird noises coming from the Special Room. But there was no other trace of my person. I spent most of my time sulking under the bed.

--------------------------

Finally, my Person came out of the room. Of course, I was happy to see him. However, something about him was just...different. I don't know how to explain it, but there was a difference in his scent. It was very subtle, even to my sensitive nose, but it was definitely there.

I didn't have time to figure out exactly what was going on, though. My Person immediately started putting all our stuff into big boxes. It was kind of like what he did when preparing for a trip, but to a bigger extent.

And then, early one morning, I was put in the Cage of Doom. I was very angry. I had been woken up for THIS? And THEN I had to travel in a small and dark place.

Thankfully, I was reunited with my Person after a while. Even then, we had to walk through many more confusing places before we were finally alone!

We were in a nice enough place. It was smaller than our house, but it had chairs and two beds. I immediately hid under one of these beds.

My Person said, "Look, I know it's been hard for you. I really tried to get the staff to let you ride with me. However, they insisted on putting you in the kennel."

I ignored him as coldly as I could.

My person sighed, "Okay, I know what will make you come out of there." He got out a can of tuna. I ran out from my hididng spot as quickly as I could!

Later, after I had eaten the tuna, my Person stated, "Well, are you ready for our new life, Pharaoh?"

I didn't really understand what he said, but I was in a good mood. I purred contentedly.

---------------------------

A/N: This chapter is quite long by my standards! Therefore, I'll save the present-day part for the next chapter.