Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ Whiskey Lullaby ❯ Whiskey Lullaby ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Whiskey Lullaby
Disclaimer: I don't own the song “Whiskey Lullaby” by Brad Paisley and Alison Krause, nor do I own the anime/manga Yu Gi Oh GX.
 
 
A/N: I've been wanting to do something with this song for awhile and I'm so happy to be able to be about to write this. I hope you enjoy, please read and review.
Author's Notes
Song
Story
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
 
She put him out like the burnin' end of a midnight cigarette
She broke his heart he spent his whole life tryin' to forget
 
 
“I'm almost home Rei, just wait for me a little longer” Juudai thought as he drove down the Tokyo road towards the apartment he shared with his long time girlfriend. He had been away several months at a dueling tournament and was in a hurry to return to his beloved. He could almost feel her warm soft body pressed against his. He could taste the sweet honey of her lips. Juudai felt the last few months of tension growing in his stomach as his foot pressed down a little harder on the petal of his car. It seemed like an eternity before he finally put his car in park and began climbing the stairs. It was late at night so it didn't surprise him all the lights were off.
 
 
Quietly, he opened to door. Sounds of moans and giggles reached his ears. `What in the name of Ra is going on?' wondered Juudai as he crept towards the bedroom. The groans and whimpers became louder the closer he came to the back room. Through the crack in the door, he could see two shadows dancing along the wall, cast by the many candles placed around the room. Juudai continued closer until he was millimeters away, then in one quick movement, he kicked the door open. What he saw dumbfounded him. Rei was lying in their bed, half-undressed with an equally nude Jun straddling her waist.
 
 
“Juudai! What are you doing here?” Rei screamed in horror. She grabbed a handful of the sheets to cover herself as she pushed Jun off her waist. The rest of the blue haired girl's excuses were lost to him. He just stared at the two with empty eyes. Rei, the woman who he thought had loved him, was cheating on him. His heart was pounding in his ears as he stared at the stunned Manjoume as he sat on the floor staring at him with disbelief. Juudai could almost feel himself becoming sick when he noticed the straining erection tenting Manjoume's boxers.
 
 
He could feel rage and hurt building inside his chest. His hands fisted at his sides before his right are jerked outwards, leaving a reasonably sized hole in the wall. Rei backed against the wall pulling the sheet closer to her as if to make herself invisible. Manjoume likewise moved away, fearing he maybe the next target of Juudai's wrath. However, once he pried his hand from the wall, Juudai turned without a word and hurried away from the scene.
 
 
“Juudai! Wait! Where are you going? Juudai!” Rei screamed after him, trying to follow. But by the time she had untangled herself, the brunette was already speeding away down the street.
 
 
We watched him drink his pain away a little at a time
But he never could get drunk enough to get her off his mind
 
 
Juudai sat between Daichi and Shou, finishing off the fifth bottle of sake of the night. Juudai was swaying in his seat as he retold his story for the third time that night. “... and I haven't seen her since” he finished, his words slow and slurred.
 
 
“Honestly Juudai, it's been over a year, you show really get over Rei” Daichi said placing a hand on his friends shoulder to steady him.
 
 
“Yeah! Forget her Jay. If she's stupid enough to throw away a catch like you then she's crazy.” Shou added. Juudai ignored his friends and raised his hand for another bottle of rice wine.
 
But he never could get drunk enough to get her off his mind
Until the night
They just didn't get it. Rei had been the love of his life ever since he had met her. She had been his confidant, friend and lover. Now what was she? Just a pile of dusty old photos and painful memories. She was all he ever thought about. Not even the suppressing comfort of alcohol could ease the pain of her infidelity even a year later. This one wound would never heal. Juudai stumbled into his lonely apartment. He had moved across town the very next day after finding Rei in bed with his former friend.
 
 
Moving through the darkness, the brunette eventually faltered into his messy bedroom. He began moving towards the bed when he suddenly found himself face down on the floor. He pulled himself up on unsteady knees. Suddenly, the picture on the bedside table caught his attention. Rei was sitting on his lap smiling in the park. Her long brown hair was braided and blowing in the wind. He was smiling as well. He felt his heart lurching as he thought of the happier times, times that would never come again. He couldn't live with Rei.
 
 
Juudai's mind wandered from the picture to the pistol kept under the pillow. He reached from his spot on the floor, pulled out the metal weapon, and stared at the polished metal gleaming in the moonlight, promising to take away his pain.
 
 
Juudai placed the pistol down on the table and pulled out a note pad and pen. He scribbled down his final words of love. Then, holding tight to the note, he held the bottle to his head and in a moment, it was all over.
 
 
He put that bottle to his head and pulled the trigger
And finally drank away her memory
Life is short but this time it was bigger
Than the strength he had to get up off his knees
We found him with his face down in the pillow
With a note that said I'll love her till I die
 
The sound of someone knocking on the door ran through the apartment and was soon followed by the click of the lock. “Hey! Juudai! You in here Jay?” Shou called walking through the door followed by Daichi and Edo
 
 
“Yo Juudai, where are you?” Edo yelled kicking an empty whiskey bottle across the living room floor.
 
 
“Hush Edo, Juudai's probably still sleeping of all the drinks he had last night,” Daichi said. He walked to the bedroom and knocked softly. He opened the door and stepped inside. He stared wide eyed in terror at the bloody scene. Daichi stumbled backwards out of the room.
 
 
“Daichi, what the hells wro.... Holy Shit!” Edo yelled. He rushed into the room and flipped Juudai's bloody, lifeless body onto his back. “Shou! Call 911, Daichi see if you find something to stop this bleeding.” Everyone went to work trying in vain to save their friend.
 
 
As Rei drove across town, the sounds of sirens reached her ears. `Wonder what's going on' she thought. She watched as the ambulances pulled into an apartment complex and stopped at a familiar building. `Isn't that were Juudai moved too?' All of a sudden something compelled her to pull in to the parking lot and get out. She saw Daichi, Edo and Shou standing behind the police tape watching the proceedings.
 
 
“Hey! You guys, what's going on?” she yelled running up to them. They all turned to her with icy glares. “What? What's wrong?” Rei asked. Then her eyes widened when she saw the stretcher being rolled out with the body cover with a white sheet, only a small bit of brown hair could be seen sticking out from the top.
 
 
The bluenette looked at the three men begging for an explanation. Edo simply reached into his suit and pulled out a folded piece of paper. He handed it to Rei who opened it. Her eyes filled with tears as she read the words written in Juudai's handwriting:
 
 
“I'll love her until I die”
 
 
“Juudai was holding it when he blew his brains out. He never stopped loving you, Rei. I hope your happy now” Edo said his voice cold and even. The girl looked up, searching for some hint of sympathy. No one showed her to slightest bit of forgiveness or compassion. She pulled the note to her chest and turned away. She ran back to her car and drove away as fast as she could, hot tears rolling down her face.
 
 
 
And when we buried him beneath the willow
The angels sang a whiskey lullaby

Lalalalalala
Lalalalalala

Lalalalalala
La lalalalala
 
 
It had been a week since Juudai Yuki had ended his life. His friends and family stood in the open field next to the willow field. Many were talking in hushed tones while others comforted those who were crying. Only one person stood out, a pretty young girl with blue hair stood alone by the freshly dug grave, staring at the casket that was positioned over the gave. Her eyes were swollen, but other wise dry. She had cried all her tears long ago. Rei whipped her hand over the clean polished wood, praying to Kami that this was all just a bad dream and that she would soon awake in Juudai's arms.
 
 
It never came though; the wooden box was lowered and covered, never to be opened again. As the final shovel of dirt covered the hole, Rei watched the proceedings with empty eyes. She looked across the grave and was met with hate filled looks or sideways glances of discontent. As everyone began leaving, Rei stood by the grave a moment longer.
 
 
“Please God, forgive me for what I've done.” She whispered. “Please Juudai; forgive me for what I've done to you.”
 
 
The rumors flew but nobody know how much she blamed herself
For years and years she tried to hide the whiskey on her breath
 
 
Rei sat alone at a table in a busy bar. She watched the happy couples dancing dropping back shots of whiskey, trying to dull the ache in her chest. She kept imagining dancing in Juudai's arms to the songs. Three years had passed since he last held her, two years since he had killed himself and a year and a half of almost constant inebriation. Even at her drunkest, she never forgot the sight of her beloved in that lonely casket, the image just motivating her more to drink until she passed out into total nothingness.
 
 
 
She finally drank her pain away a little at a time
But she never could get drunk enough to get him off her mind
Until the night

 
Throwing back another drink, the sight she saw next hurt her even more. Sitting across the bar, holding Asuka in his lap, was Jun Manjoume. Even he had abandoned her after Juudai's funeral. It made her sick thinking of what she had done. She had let such a simple thing of loneliness and longing stray her from her true love. Rei knew she had never loved the black haired duelist. He was just someone who would take away that need, someone to satisfy her hunger with while Juudai was away. She had never thought anyone would ever know.
 
 
`You knew everything didn't you?' asked Rei to herself. Throwing her head back again, she let the warm water of fire burn a path down her throat. She then stood and swayed her way out of the bar, down the street and back to her home. She entered the small apartment and collapsed on the couch. The bluenette slide the side table drawer open and began groping around for the bottle of vodka she kept there. However, what she pulled out only made her heart bleed more.
 
 
In her hands lay a picture of her and Juudai at Duel Academy. They had hardly been going out three months. She couldn't help but smile at how young and innocent she had been. A far cry from the drunk, timeworn woman she was now. She turned her attention to the other picture that she had produced from the drawer; a picture of the couple only a few months before their break up. She studied Juudai's smiling face.
 
 
She put that bottle to her head and pulled the trigger
And finally drank away his memory
Life is short but this time it was bigger
Than the strength she had to get up off her knees
 
 
 
She wanted to see him smiling like that again.
 
 
She wanted to be with him again.
 
 
And she knew how to get to him.
 
 
We found her with her face down in the pillow
Clinging to his picture for dear life
 
She knelt down in front of the drawer and pulled out the pistol. Holding the pistol to her temple, she clung to his picture in the other. Her final thought was of her Juudai before her eyes closed forever.
 
 
We laid her next to him beneath the willow
While the angels sang a whiskey lullaby
 
 
 
Rei's funeral was simpler than Juudai's had been. Only a few people attended, many simply out of respect for a fellow duelist. She was placed in her grave beside Juudai, much to the discontent of many. Asuka and Jun stood together, their two-year-old daughter, Mina, between them. After the service, the family was walking away, Mina turned back to look at the swaying willow tree. Two figures were standing together, a young pretty woman with blue hair dressed in a long white sundress, and the other was a young man, wearing a red dueling outfit. The two embraced and waved at the young girl. Mina smiled and waved back before hurrying after her mother and father.
 
 
 
Lalalalalala
Lalalalalala

Lalalalalala
Lal alalalala
 
 
 
 
A/N: Finally finished! I've been working on this story on the side while working on my series Ninja Power. I hope you liked it. I hope you don't mind the AsukaXJun I sunk in there by accident. I got the idea for the ending paragraph from the music video. Please Read and Review! I'll take anything, good, bad, ugly or flames.