Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Kire Taki ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kire Taki

~ Beautiful Waterfall ~

A Harry Potter/ Yugioh Crossover

Ame no Mizu

Chapter one:

Harry Potter tossed and turned in bed in a fitful half-sleep. He'd had trouble sleeping ever since he got home from his fifth year at Hogwarts-even the Dursleys were beginning to notice the dark circles under his eyes. He was desperately waiting for the owl from the Weasleys, telling him they were going to take him to their house again. He needed to get away from his place. He needed to be with people who actually cared for him.

He'd gotten a letter from Sirius just a few days ago. He'd made it to his destination (though he couldn't say where), and was hiding out. He said that he'd be with Harry soon, and to be careful in the meantime. Harry wanted to send a return owl saying he was now 16 and could take care of himself, but decided to just go along with it. After all, it was Sirius's self-appointed duty to protect his godson.

Which was why Harry also decided not to tell him about the new nightmares he'd been having.

They were getting stranger and more cryptic. They were all centered on this strange-looking eye and a boy who he'd never seen before. It was this boy that made the dreams so strange. His appearance was unique: long, pure white hair that fell to the small of his back and large brown eyes. He would split into two nearly identical boys, except the other had narrower, glittery violet eyes. Maybe they were brothers…? The violet eyed one seemed rougher, more… he didn't know what. Was it evil? Darkness? Was he an enemy?

So many questions that would never be answered.

Then there was this eye. It seemed familiar, and Harry associated it, for some reason, with Ron. It was gold, and creepy. He didn't like thinking about it. It made his head hurt.

And his head never hurt for no reason, which made him ever the more nervous.

Sitting up in bed, all thoughts of sleep behind him and forgotten, Harry stared at the full moon hanging lazily in the air without a worry.

Lucky…

*~*~*~*~*~*

In Japan, a boy sat in bed in the same manner, also staring out the window wistfully. He couldn't sleep either, as nightmares plagued his mind as well.

/…Yami?/ he called tentatively to his other, not sure of he was asleep or not. It wasn't rare for him to go downstairs when his light had nightmares and began to toss and turn.

//What is it, Ryou? Need something?//

/I-can you come up here with me? I need someone to talk to./

Ryou knew that if he'd said this a few months ago, he'd get the beating of his life.

//Yeah, sure.//

Bakura had changed since Battle City. He was still sadistic and mostly heartless, but he'd learned to care for and protect his hikari almost like Yami did with Yugi. He'd realized that besides needing him to be able to leave the Ring in a physical body, he really did love and care for Ryou like a child or a little brother. He didn't let anyone hurt `his' Ryou, and never would again. Ryou couldn't have been happier.

The light from the hallway was suddenly obscured by a large shadow, and Ryou turned, expecting to see his yami.

He didn't.

//Ryou, run!!!//

Ryou, petrified, couldn't move, just stared at the figure in his doorway. It took a step toward him, and he snapped out of his trance.

"Get away from me!" he gasped, and jumped out of bed. He had nowhere to run, as the figure was blocking his only exit.

"You will come with me, Ryou Bakura," the man growled. He strode forward, trapping the hikari even more, and grabbed him.

"No!" Ryou cried, struggling, "Let me go! Yami! Help me! Bakura!" he screamed, fighting for all he was worth. He heard footsteps thundering up the stairs, and his yami appeared. The Sennen Eye glowed on his forehead, contrasting the darkness of the bedroom.

"Release him!" he shouted, his eyes glowing red, "Release my hikari, mortal, or feel the power of the Millennium Ring!" There was a cut on his cheek, and blood flowed from it freely. The other cheek was beginning to bruise, and his wrist looked swollen, twisted at an odd angle. The man still didn't let go of Ryou's arms.

"Yami…" he whimpered, the man's grip tightening.

"I'm giving you one last warning," Bakura growled, "Let him go, and I might show a little mercy…"

"He is mine, spirit. There is nothing you can do at this point. He belongs to me."

At this, Ryou could see a fiery aura surround Bakura. He'd never seen his yami this angry. But there was something about his eyes… were those tears he saw?

Of course. Bakura wasn't able to do anything. He couldn't attack if the man was using Ryou as a shield. He couldn't take the risk of hitting his hikari. As angry as he was, the man was right: he couldn't do anything.

I'll have to fix that.

Taking a steadying breath, Ryou clenched his fist and threw his arm back, harshly elbowing his captor in the stomach. Caught off guard, he loosened his grip on Ryou's arms.

Perfect.

Wrenching out of the grip, he dropped to the floor, scrambling out of the way. A warmth flashed past him, and when he turned, he found the man on the floor, motionless, and his yami on his knees, clutching his side.

"Yami!" Ryou cried, going to him and gently wrapping his arms around the trembling body, "Bakura, you're hurt! What happened?"

"I was attacked. They said they were after you. I'm sorry, hikari. He shouldn't have been able to get his hands on you."

"It's okay. Did they say why they were after me?"

"No. But…" the yami trailed off.

"But what?"

"The men who attacked me… they had accents. Like yours. They weren't from here."

"They were English?" Ryou wondered out loud, "Why would anyone from England attack me here?"

"I can answer that," came a kind voice from behind them.

*~*~*~*~*

The sun pierced Harry's eyelids painfully. He wasn't ready to get up yet… But that tapping sound was giving him a headache…

Wait… tapping?

He sat up to see a persistent owl at his window, tapping on the glass. Harry recognized it as Errol, the Weasleys' family owl. Harry briefly wondered why Ron hadn't used his own.

He let the old owl in, taking the letter off his leg, tearing it open.

Dear Harry (it read),

How are you, dear? I've just gotten a letter from your headmaster, and he's given us permission to bring you to our house for the rest of the summer! At his request, we'll be picking you up the muggle way this Saturday. Hope you'll be packed!!! Ron can't wait!

Mrs. Weasley

Joy rose in Harry's chest. This was what he was waiting for. He couldn't wait. Full of adrenaline and hearing his `family' wake up for breakfast, he prepared to go downstairs.

Until another owl, he recognized it as a Hogwarts one, flew in.

This was strange. He wasn't supposed to be getting a letter from them for another three weeks. Tearing its message from its leg, he opened it.

Dear Mr. Potter,

We have just been informed that two days from today, Hogwarts will be receiving a foreign exchange student from Japan. At the headmaster's request, he will be sent to your residence, to stay with you until he arrives at school. He has already been placed in your house, in your year. Since he is behind our school significantly, we expect you to do your best to answer any questions he may have. There is no need to worry about language difficulties, as English is his native language and he is extremely fluent in it.

Thank you,

Professor McGonagall

A foreign exchange student? At a time like this?

And why would he be put with me?

It was all strange. In two days, he'd be stuck with some foreign kid who probably didn't know a thing about England. What was Dumbledore thinking? Wasn't this dangerous?

Oh, well. It would all become clear. It usually always did. There was always a method to Dumbledore's madness.

At least, Harry hoped there was.

Two days later, Harry sat on the front steps of the Dursleys' home, fidgeting nervously. The new student was supposed to be here an hour ago. Where was he? Harry was beginning to become impatient.

Then, a taxi stopped in front of him, and his spirits lifted. Finally. He was getting worried. He stepped forward to aid the boy getting out of the car, but then froze.

It was him. The boy from his dream.

It was all the same. The hair, the eyes, everything. It was him exactly. He turned to Harry, and extended his hand in greeting. Harry took it shakily.

"Hello. I'm Ryou." The boy-Ryou-greeted with a smile. He was English, to Harry's surprise. His accent was English.

"Um… I'm Harry. You're the new student?"

"I am. I hope I'm not imposing too much…" his eyes shifted to the small house.

"Oh, don't worry," replied Harry, "We won't be staying here. On Saturday, we'll be going over to my friend Ron's house."

"Yes, Dumbledore-sensei told me."

"Who?"

"Oh!" the boy exclaimed, turning red, "I'm sorry. I've just been in Japan so long, you know… it's habit. That's another way of saying Professor Dumbledore, in a way. It's a suffix that means teacher. Sorry."

"That's alright. Actually, I find it interesting. Maybe you could use your Japanese more often?"

"Really? That's great! I'm glad you don't mind!"

"So… you want me to help you with your luggage?" Harry suggested. He was beginning to like Ryou… a lot.

"No, that's alright. There's not much here. I can handle it."

The beginning of what promised to be a really nice friendship.

*~*~*~*~*

The days leading up to Saturday went by without difficulty. The Dursleys seemed to mostly leave Ryou alone, which was surprising. They weren't sure if he was a wizard, but they appeared to be afraid of him, anyway. Harry wasn't sure how anyone could be afraid of such a sweet, polite boy, but then again, the Dursleys were also afraid of Mr. Weasley.

But, despite how much Harry was beginning to like Ryou, his mind couldn't help but drift back to that dream. He had a strong compulsion to ask him about it, but he was afraid to offend his new friend. He'd have to wait until he found out more about him….

They were sitting in his room on Saturday morning, talking about themselves and their histories.

"Actually, I was born in New York, in the states," Ryou said when Harry asked, "I moved to London when I was three. I lived here until I was ten, then I moved to Egypt, where my father had some new job. That's where I got this," he pulled on a leather strap at his neck, and out of his shirt came the strangest looking necklace Harry'd ever seen, "This is the Millennium Ring. My… father said that it's nearly 3,000 years old. I've had it for years…"

But Harry barely heard him. He was staring at the necklace. In the center, there was the eye. The eye that plagued his dreams.

He looked up at Ryou and opened his mouth to ask the question, but then there was the sound of a car horn outside, and the moment was lost.

Next Chapter: Ryou meets the Weasleys, and Sirius returns. Does our favorite godfather somehow know the albino? Find out next time!!!