Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Shutter Chance ❯ Chance 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: A Shutter Chance
Author: Nekocin
Type: Alternative Universe/series
Genres: Romance/General
Warnings: MAJOR Out of Character-ness, Outside Characters, probably bad writing style, and those who really, really -dislike- Anzu, please, refrain from hurting yourself in reading this story (I like her to be honest). 
Pairings: Kaiba+Jounouchi, some others implied
Rated: PG13
Additional notes: Shounen ai/yaoi, probably slight yuri/shoujo-ai. A 'discovery' story.
Disclaimer: I'm neither a man nor the mangaka behind Yuugioh. Some parts of the story aren't really mine, so there! I've disclaimed the rights here! I'll probably write somewhere in my notes where my ideas are hidden...
Author's notes: I admit I've been frustrating myself, trying to come up with another Kaiba+Jounouchi fic in contrary to that other AU story (I wanted to call it "Strangled Love", which sounded so cheesy -needs a new title for that story soon-) I had written (which was definitely -not- my usual style since it's kind of dark and corny too) that came out so naturally. I got this idea at the time when I got fascinated with some manga reading and the subject of Photography. I won't use any strange words to describe the whole Photographic stuff since I, myself, don't know much of that subject anyways. So~, please forgive me if some of the information of Photography's very, very wrong. :bows: I hope you'll enjoy your 'stay', so welcome to "A Shutter Chance"!! n.n 


~Chance 1: Kaiba Side~

~X ~ Getsuyoubi - Monday ~ X ~

"Now angle your head a bit away from me--yeah, nice. Nice. That's great! Marvelous! Very innocent indeed!," 

Click! Click! Click! 

The camera whirred automatically along.

"Now, try a sexier look on me--uh-huh, that's good--,"

Click! Click! Click!

Jounouchi paused in his shooting and sighed exaggeratingly as if feeling content- he probably was. 

"Yasmin, I think I'm in love! You're just so cu~te!" He let out another exaggerating, dreamy sigh. It's so childish seeing his face scrunch like that... 

The model Yasmin did not crinkle her eyes or her lips in an amused smile, even though it's quite clear to me that she's quite taken by Jounouchi's attitude. 

The childish look on the photographer's face disappeared instantly. "15 minutes break, people!" 

The crew in front of me, sighed in relief and scurried around to put up new settings; new background, and lighting effects for the emphasis of the next few slides of pictures, new wardrobes and some additional make-up effects for the model to shine in every picture Jounouchi took, row after row. 

"Here's the ice tea lemon you've been pestering me about, Katsuya" Jounouchi's assistant, Mazaki Anzu, held out an efficiently-made tea drink, complete with cold water drops sliding down the glass due to the change of temperature. 

Jounouchi's face immediately reverted to a childish one as he happily snatched the offered drink. 

"Oh my god! You -did- make it!" Jounouchi exclaimed and drank his tea greedily. 

I found myself shaking my head absently. 

A cup of black liquid was handed to me in quiet grace. It's coffee. I could smell the strong scent of caffeine, deliberately teasing my nostrils. Warm. Anzu looked expectantly at me with her cornflower blue eyes while holding the drink out to me, politely.

"You like your coffee black, right? I've added some of my secret ingredients to accentuate the tough taste. I assume you like it pretty strong," She flashed me a knowing grin that always made me think of the word 'cute'. 

-I didn't know anyone would notice my presence-

"Thank you, and yes, I like it black and strong" I answered in a subdued voice -too soft compared to the other shouting voices at the shooting studio of JK [the initials of Jounouchi Katsuya] Field Studio. But Mazaki seemed to have heard me quite clearly.

Jounouchi suddenly flung himself to Mazaki's side, treasuring the drink to his face. "Wai~! It's as good as I can remember, Anzu! You've even added that -thing- in my drink! Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou- Urk!" 

At this speed of babbling I wouldn't be surprised when he choked himself to death, I thought dryly. He usually had a tendency to get so excited in his gushing that he chokes on his own breath.

Mazaki patted Jounouchi's back and gave him an earful about changing his rambling speed just for the sake of his life.

I gingerly rubbed my cup, a porcelain-looking kitty mug, feeling the delicate heat radiate to my pale fingers. The smell of exotica instantly distinguished the thought of 'just plain black coffee; for its exclusive richness in flavor. 

"Okay, people! Break's up!" Jounouchi called out.

"Hai~!" His crew chorused, looking fully-refreshed.

I blew at the hot coffee as I watched him take his position behind the standard lead camera. Just a few more minutes and I should be back at the office. He wouldn't even notice my absence.

I could feel Mazaki's unveiled, curious stare on my blank face, again, -probably wondering why I didn't even tell him about next week's new sets of contracts. Well, that's okay, I could still tell him tomorrow and ask him out at the same time...


~ X ~ Kayoubi - Tuesday ~ X ~

"Ah! Hold it! Yes, yes, this is a good one! Please, don't move yet... More lights to Chiharu-san's right side please. Yes, that's enough," Jounouchi's on the row again, instead of Yasmin, the Model of Best New Comer, the picture image should be Chiharu, one of the famous pop vocalists of the country. 

Jounouchi angled his camera around a few times and then looked thoughtful at Chiharu. "Hmmm... it doesn't really do the picture much justice, you know Chiharu-san? Let's try looking -hot and steamy- here, okay?"

Chiharu frowned lightly, but did not complain. She struck a pose-

"Kyaa~" 

-and indeed, the pose got Jounouchi's attention, making him all excited.

"Yes! Yes! Yes! That's what I'm talking about! Kyaa~! Look at me right now-" Jounouchi grinned, uncharacteristically turning himself into a fangirl without even noticing. "That's a good one, Chiharu-san. You make me wanna get seduced by you~! Kyaa~! Yes! Do that look again!" 

"Really? Maybe we should go on a date-," Chiharu-san smiled suggestively at Jounouchi. He blushed lightly and grinned.

I sighed. "Stop playing around, Jounouchi,"

"I'm not playing around! I'm being serious!" Looking over his shoulder, his attention was immediately on me. It was just for a second before he settled his attention back to Chiharu. "So~ how about at 8? Bar Mystique seems fine to you?" 

I've been watching him do his shooting, again, just out of habit. No one really questioned my presence there, so why worry? Looking down at my watch-

-17:59 PM-

I sighed, it's actually time.

"Hey, I'm afraid it's time for my appointment. I'll finish it up and come back later," I called out and fished out an envelop from my coat's pocket. "Here's a project proposal. Please take a good look first,"

"Oh yeah, that reminds me--I've got a hot date tonight so I can't do it right away," Jounouchi stuck his tongue out childishly at me. 

I glared at him. "I was hoping we could meet and talk about this project today-,"

"We can do it tomorrow," He looked disinterested at me, as he absently scratched the back of his head. 

I grit my teeth and intensified the glare. Shrugging coolly, I hid my face behind the envelop and feigned exhaustion and defeat. "I suppose it couldn't be helped..." 

Jounouchi frowned suspiciously at me, probably calculating what exactly had gotten into me. I usually wouldn't back down so easily.

"What a pity. Especially since Ishizu Ishtar, whom you love so much, will be the image model for this project-"

"WHAT?!" Immediately, Jounouchi got excited and clamped on my arm like a spoiled kid who wanted something new. 

I ignored him. "Since you're unable to accept this proposal, I guess I should go ask-"

"I'lldoitI'lldoitI'lldoit!!" Jounouchi burst out in my ear, still clutching my arm without even knowing that he's hurting me with that grip of his. "I'll have that meeting with you or whatever! Come on! I'll do it!"

I feigned thoughtfulness and grumbled something incoherently. As if finally noticing whatever he's doing, Jounouchi blinked at me and stopped attacking me with his excitement. The lie on my face disappeared and I sent him a small smirk. 

"Thank you for considering the proposal. I'll contact you later concerning our meeting," 

Jounouchi's childish face was back on. He gave me one of his brightest smiles, as if having given him something very precious to work on, which was probably half the truth. 

When I closed the door to JK's Field shooting Studio, predictably, Jounouchi's angry voice rang, muffled, behind the door. It's very cute to make him so caught up with such a small, say, bait just to get him coming tonight.

"ARGH! HOW COULD I BE SO BLIND?! GRRR! THAT STUCK-UP BASTARD TRICKED ME!"

~ X ~ 

10:10 PM 

He glared menacingly at me, setting his lips in a thin line, and crossed his arms over his chest. I stared calmly back at him as I waited patiently for anything he would throw my way. He snapped eventually - the fire in his eyes burst out as if he wanted nothing but frying my ass right there, right at that moment. 

"Where the hell have you been? I thought you said 10 o'clock sharp. And you conveniently come 10 minutes late?! I had painstakingly tried to compensate my time due to our sudden meeting. Now, most of my models won't be expected until tomorrow and my whole schedule for tomorrow is crammed up! Ugh! Stop giving me that look! It's not funny!" Jounouchi burst out, waving an angry finger at me and giving me one of his most serious looks even if they always made him look so childish. He finally ended his long rant for the moment and was panting breathlessly through his mouth, still glaring at me.

I'd anticipated this much -that's why I'd deliberately arrived late. "Are you quite finished?" 

He slowly regained his breath, still glaring at me through half-heartedly-brushed, messy dirty-blonde bangs and straightened himself. "You better have a good explanation for being late, Kaiba, or you're so~ dead," 

I gave him a small smile and pulled out something wrapped up in nice silver blue gift wrapping. He eyed the gift both curiously and cautiously, but was polite enough not to jump into conclusions immediately. Though it's actually obvious the gift's for him as an apology... I'd bought that something along my way, which explained why I was actually late. 

I smirked. "Let's get inside before any of those prying reporters catch us, shall we?" 
I pulled the door open for him and gestured for him to come in, mockingly. 

Jounouchi glared. "I'll pretend I don't know you at all, Kaiba Seto,"

~ X ~

"This time we will be advertising Ishizu's own collection of cosmetic products. She's insisted on being the image model for this project," I explained the new project, pointing out the mentioned information on the project file. 

"Okay. Okay. I got that," Jounouchi bobbed his head at the same time as he dug into his lunch like someone who hadn't eaten for weeks. Surely, he's the happiest whenever he ate, unlike me. I just lost my appetite upon the sight of Jounouchi devouring his food. Just too much grease.

"She has signed a two year contract with us. We'll use her as our model once her contract with a current company ends,"

"Wai~ Ishizu-cha~n. She's so cu~te!" Jounouchi stared at the model's, Ishizu, picture once more, again with that puppy-love look in his eyes. He started to gush out irritating comments like obsessed fangirls do whenever they found their idol parading in god-knows-what attire, which they found sexy--

"Pay attention, Jounouchi. And stop looking at her picture, you should read the project proposal carefully," I chided him lightly and gave him an disinterested look. "Her manager plans to expand the cosmetic business for Ishizu internationally too, so the budget is quite large. I want to take this job no matter what." 

I paused and waited for him to react. But for some strange reason he was staring dazedly at the project proposal as if it had the most beautiful model printed on it as background, which was hardly true. Miffed at his lack of attendance, I laced my fingers in front of my nose and narrowed my eyes at him.

"Jounouchi, are you listening?" 

"Huh? Ah!-" He looked flustered back at me.

"Do you want to do this project or not?"

"I'll do it I'll do it I'll do it! Everything for my Ishizu-chan!" 

I found myself smirking behind my hands. He really hadn't heard a word what I'd said. 
"So you'll take the project? Thank you. Let's do our best to make the presentation successful," I gave him my most unusual, sweetest smile. He blinked, seemingly having registered my words finally and let out a shocked "Presentation?!" shriek.

He stood up from his seat and slammed his hands flat on the table. "Hey! Wait a minute! This project is for a Presentation Pitch? Does that mean--" 

"In other words she decides whether you're qualified to shoot her photos," I said calmly.

"You tricked me!" He wailed.

"I did not. That's why I told you to read the project proposal carefully," I shuffled through the papers and tapped my finger on the offending word 'presentation' under the list of requirements. "It's all written here,"

Jounouchi banged his head on the table, wailing into himself as he started to shake with either anger or defeat, I couldn't tell. He could be such a lazy guy. With enough persuasion, he would probably take it albeit reluctantly. He just didn't like doing Presentation Pitches. 

"Cheater!" He'd raised his voice for me to hear the insult. 

"Am not!" I held my face perfectly neutral. 

"You-You're going to get a bad Karma someday for doing something as evil as this," He glared up at me. 

I averted my eyes to a table across the room, where a couple were lunching and slid out a cigarette from my pockets. What does he know about bad Karma? 
The couple were smiling lovingly at each other, clearly forgetting that they were in public and also forgetting their lunch had arrived. A sense of melancholy hit me. Their eyes met, their smiles matched, their hands weren't that far away and their hearts--one.

"Damn it! You're pissing me off with that face of yours. As if you've never gone through any difficulties at all--Damn you-you rich brat!" 

Something crashed and was split into thousands of pieces, inside of me.

I was instantly on my feet, surprising Jounouchi with my sudden action, and slid the Project Proposal to him with utmost casualty. 

"I apologize for not making this explanation clear enough," I said calmly.

"I'll come again tomorrow for your answers," I straightened my crooked tie and stood next to the table. "I have to go back to the office, so I'll be leaving now."

I took the bill graciously while looking down at him. "Please take you time,"

Jounouchi blushed lightly and averted his face to look outside. He let out a soft "Thanks" and ignored my presence.

"Jounouchi, I only wanted you to be the one taking the pictures whether it's only for a presentation pitch or for other things-," He blinked up at me. Awed and speechless. "I won't be satisfied if it's not your picture,"

He stared squarely at me suddenly and sent me a big, playful grin. "Humm--, Seth-chan, are you attracted to me? Fufufufu," 

I did not even bat an eyelash when he hit that topic out of the blue. Even if it might be true, will he appreciate it when I've such awkward feelings for him? I think not.
Shrugging off the subject indifferently, I walked past him and patted his head just as playful as I could allow myself to be.

"Yeah, to your pictures though. And oh, don't call me Seth-chan," I mumbled softly and absently brushed my fingers through his hair. 

Fortunately, he didn't lash out at me for being so touchy-feel-y, which is a good sign that he was thinking the proposal over. I took one last look at the couple I'd been watching, paid the bill to the meager lunch and went out of the restaurant. 

Shoving my hands into my pants' pockets, I paused and looked down at the cigarette which I'd conveniently forgotten to smoke when Jounouchi's temper had burst. I stopped continuing my way to the office for a moment and slid the cigarette between my dry lips. With a quick flick on the lighter, I lit the cigarette. 

Someone suddenly knocked repeatedly on the glass window behind me, catching my attention. Looking over my shoulder, I found myself looking at Jounouchi yet again. He waved the project proposal with his left hand, stuck his tongue out at me, gave me a quick slang of okay hand sign with his right hand and winked.

For some reasons unknown, a strange force entered my body and made me smile softly at his silly sign. I waved a quick thank you in return and left for the office. Hope he liked my little gift.


~ X ~ Suiyoubi - Wednesday ~ X ~

"Good morning, Kaiba-sama," 

"Did you go straight to your appointment before coming here?" 

Two female receptionists at the desk began politely as soon as I neared the front desk. Both of them were smiling at their best; eyes crinkling up gently and the corners of their lips lifting to an easy smile. Any other life time I probably would have fallen for either one of them, but not in this one, sadly. I immediately remembered the couple I'd seen at the restaurant. So--in peace with each other.

"Good morning," I returned politely and sent them a half visible smile. 

They blushed lightly in automatic response. It always seemed to happen whenever I did that. "I'll make a cup of coffee for you, sir,"

"Thanks," 

I headed into the sub-offices where my two secretaries were clearly awaiting my return. They rushed to me with bright smiles as always and greeted me enthusiastically.

"Ah, Kaiba-sama. There were several phone calls for you earlier. I wrote everything down on a memo. It's on your desk," Shizuka, one of the secretaries, began first all the while giving me big smiles. She's a short lady with a slendar body, she's probably around 22 or so, had long red-brown hair and brown eyes--that reminded me of-

"Thank you--,"

Shizuka's cheeks reddened immediately as she held back a happy squeal. A quick smile from me would probably turn her into a puddle of goo, if she wasn't so infatuated with someone else other than me, in the first place.

"Ah! Kaiba-sam-!" Mai, my other secretary, suddenly warned-

-and I bumped into someone. Something warm and strong--coffee--entered my nostrils.

"Oops! Excuse me,--" That voice. "Oh, no--I did it-- I stained the expensive suit that you're so proud of. Sorry." That tone.
It didn't sound the least apologetic though. 

There are only a few people who speak to me like that, and one of them was standing right in front of me. Morimoto Seiji, an older employer who had been with the company for more than 10 years, which makes him technically my sempai even if I'm a few posts above him.

I looked down at my stained suit--and indeed the spot wouldn't come off that easily. 

"Are you okay, Kaiba-sama? Please take it off. I'll try to remove the stain, sir," Shizuka offered immediately. I complied without a word. 

Morimoto-sempai sipped his coffee contently.

"Please don't just stand there drinking, Morimoto!" Mai chided instantly when she noticed this. 

"Want me to compensate for it?" He said it in a light tone as if he's joking, which was probably--I assumed--not even near the truth. I've always felt a certain animosity radiating from his every being either it's envy or jealousy I couldn't tell. But the uncomfortable feeling had always been there.

"There's no way you could do that. It's not just a cheap suit," I tried keeping my tone as light as I could. The tactic made me sound--almost snobbish.

"As expected--," He lifted the beady eyes behind thick-framed glasses to regard me vulgarly. "-those with money are different, eh. Such privilege. Getting the job by connections and becoming a supervisor without any hard work,"

I stood there staring down at him. Somehow--there's some truth in those bitter words--they were meant to hurt.

"Morimoto!" Mai glared, her violet eyes flaring and was about to knock some sense into Morimoto-sempai's head with her fists in an unlady-like way.

Before she could do anything, Shizuka interrupted in the nick of time, "Well then. I'll bring it up as soon as it's dry, sir"

I sent her a grateful half-smile and went to my desk. But there was no memo--I told Shizuka that as soon as she came back from the laundry room.

She was horrified, her eyes watering slightly in disappointment, "I'm sure I put it there--it should be on the desk"

Her brown eyes glazed--a shot of something stinging penetrated me--reminding me of...

"Do you remember what's on the memo?"

She closed her eyes regretfully and shook her head. "I'm sorry. They were all telephone numbers-I told them that you would call them back--I'm sorry, sir,"

--eyes reminding me of--

I dismissed her presence politely and let her continue her work with Mai following closely like a worried mother. 

--Shizuka's eyes always reminded me of--

Looking down at the smooth surface of my desk, I clasped my hands together and wondered whose telephone numbers could have been on the memo. 

Shizuka's a very efficient secretary albeit a bit strange, but efficient and helpful in her own way. She couldn't have forgotten to put the memo on my desk, considering the fact how organized she was actually rumored to be. Someone must have taken the memo--if not, did the wind blow it off my desk?

 ~ X ~

-16:49 PM-

After making several of calls to every company I knew of that might have been on the memo list, I settled for something very peaceful and none-stressing in the afternoon. 

I went to Jounouchi's studio. 

As soon as I stepped into his private studio I was assaulted with yet another uncomfortable feeling. However, this time the feeling wasn't caused by pressured employees under me-

"You-! Stop acting so selfish!" 

-instead it was caused by the heavy tension in the studio which was probably the result of the angry Jounouchi.

He grumbled. He glared. He shouted. He pointed impolitely. He snapped.

"Stop saying you can't do this, you can't do that! Aren't you a pro?!" His brown eyes flared up lively, turning its color into an unique amber color, his cheeks redden in anger and his pointing finger was shaking--pointedly at this scantily-clad lady.

"Don't think you're such a great model just because your boobs are a bit big!" 
He insulted.

The scantily-clad lady, I assumed she was another model, flushed either in embarrassment or anger, I couldn't tell. 

"Ah, Kaiba-san!" Mazaki instantly spotted me, looking ruffled and at a loss. 

"What's wrong with him?" I pointed first.

She smiled ruefully at me. "Today's model is a bit selfish--and so he snapped. I couldn't even stop him from spouting out nonsense,"

Che'. So like him to be so short-tempered when it came to selfishness. Neither the crew nor Mazaki had ever seen him in his worst though, which was probably for the best. He's like a ferocious dragon when angry at such a stage, instead of a cute chipmunk when he usually was in his normal temper. 

"Give me a more natural expression!" Jounouchi's pissed off voice rang through the studio.

"There will be another complaint from the modeling agency. What are we going to do if the jobs stop coming--" Mazaki confided as she stood exhaustedly next to me.

"That wouldn't happen. Even though a lot of people know of his arrogance, they still wait in line to get their pictures taken," was my response. The comment will never reach Jounouchi's ears; I'll make sure of that. 

"That's true--. If he takes them, the pictures turn out great no matter what,"

"Taking pictures is probably the only thing he's good at-," He really sucks in everything except Photography. 

"Anzu! Bring me the Panasonic camera!" Jounouchi's voice suddenly interrupted. Mazaki jerked her head to his direction.

"Hai!" Mazaki left my side and went to assist Jounouchi.

"Try lowering the light on the right side!"

"Like this?"

"Lower it one more time!" He ordered.

He really sucks in everything. 
I found my lips twitching in an amused smirk--he took a step back, getting near a carelessly-placed toolbox--

"Maybe I should change the backdrop color-," Another step back-

"Jounouchi-"

-and he staggered backwards. "Wha--"

Grabbing him from behind, I used myself to prevent him from falling no further that fifty degrees. 

"Se-Seth-chan?" he staggered.

"Idiot! Stand up properly!" I tried pulling him up straight ("Kaiba-san! Katsuya~! Watch out!") when all of the sudden, the world in front of me had dancing color bulbs and a loud thud reached my ears.

After recovering quickly, I looked down at Jounouchi, who was gripping my suit tightly out of impulse.
("Are you two all right?")

"You all right, are you not?"

He raised his eyes slowly up at me, flushed from all the excitement and then pushed himself off abruptly, screaming in horror.
"WAAA~! SETH-CHAN! I'M SO SORRY! I'M SORRY, SETH-CHAN,"

I let out a soft grumble, my ears twitched painfully. "I thought I told you not to call me Seth-chan," 
Hate that name. Placing my palm flat on the floor, I pushed--Ow! 

I raked my other hand through my hair in annoyance. "Are you hurt anywhere, Jounouchi?"

"Huh? Oh--nothing serious-," Something clattered. Whatever it was.

"That's good to know. It would be bad if something were to happen to--" I muttered diplomatically.

"Kya~! AAAUGH!!!" He screamed in my face. "WAAA~! M-MY PANDA-HONEY!! THE LENS IS BROKEN. PANDA!! WAA~!" He proceeded to cry over his favorite camera in the corner of his studio.

Idiot as always. I shook my head ruefully and gripped my wrist tightly. 

"Did you injure your arm?" Mazaki asked politely and looked up worriedly at me. 
With my index finger I touched my lips, gesturing to keep it a secret.

"It looks like he's having it bad, right now. So I'll leave. Tell him I'll call again tonight," 

"All right, I will," Mazaki looked both curious and confused about my action. She would probably never understand how Jounouchi knew me. 

I left afterwards.

The same night I called JK Field Studio.

-- END CHANCE I: KAIBA SIDE -- 

TheNekoTalks:

1. As you can see there's not much mentioned in Kaiba's side, which also applies to his very, very Out Of Character-ness. It's just the thought of Kaiba being a mature, and not-so-stuck-up character that amused me for awhile, which resulted into this strange AU story (though I hope it's not too dissatisfying). I really can see him as such a character when he grows up, when he grows out of some of his 'bad' traits especially around Jounouchi. 
2. I do think Isis (Ishizu) Ishtar is beautiful. She would've made a great model, considering the fact that she just radiates this certain exotic charm whenever she appears in the series. Won't you agree too? 
3.
I estimate this story won't take so long like "Haima". This will probably end around 9-10 chapters or maybe not -that- long. We'll see in the near future about this one. Hmmm... I'm using 16 pages in my notebook for each chapter, which probably be 12 or 13 pages on the computer. 
4. Sadly, I'd to break up the sibling relationships. Shizuka isn't Katsuya's sister in this story. And Mokuba--I'm not sure if he'll make an appearance.
5. And as for the title, I had been trying to find a Photography term for this story and remembered Tennis no Oujisama's Fuji Syusuke (seiyuu: Kaida Yuki) had sung a song called "Shutter chance wa ichido dake". The character Fuji is, by the way, very interested in Photography. So there!! 

Thank you for reading!! I apologize for the long notes and the inconvenience of having to scroll down from all those long babbles!!

:smiley face:cin