Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Aeternitas ❯ Arrival ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I, being of slightly off kilter mind, hereby claim that I do not own YuGiOh!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Tangerin e tinged sunlight filtered into the great Hall of Eternity, marking the sunset. The natural light sparkled off of the highly polished floor, sometimes reflecting it here and there onto the walls. Ima was still in this great hall, his bottom planted firmly on a pair of deep crimson pillows, elbow on one knee, chin in hand. He sighed. Nearly two hours had passed since he'd seen Shorai leaving with Bakura and Malik in his basin and worry had begun to grow inside of him. Although they were beings of nearly infinitesimal power, he still could not help his anxiety.

"I know where they are," he said quietly to himself, for he was the Present and knew at that moment in time just where she was. Gracefully pulling himself on to his feet, Ima slipped once again over to the fountain and peered down inside of it. There was Shorai and he felt a brush of relief slide over him.

Inside the glassy surface of the water, he watched as Shorai led Malik and Bakura out of the city. There could be no witnesses to her departure, save the ones she was taking with her. So, his sister was seeking out the countryside. He smiled and let peace enter him and finally he left the fountain, whistling a cheery tune.

Meanwhile, Konomae was preparing the rooms in which Malik and Bakura would stay. There were no servants in the Temple of Eternity, for they were self sufficient in their high stature.

The first room, Malik's, was done heavily in shades of purple with hints of gold and olive here and there. A bed of one thin futon mattress and several plush pillows dominated the center of the room, flanked by two small tables with violet candles upon them. Windows, massive and arched, were covered with sheer lavender drapes that sparkled with minute hints of golden glitter. Even the floor was a delicious shade of grape, traced through with hints of black. Konomae smiled to herself; usually Shorai did the decorating, but Konomae knew she'd done a wonderful job all on her own. Shorai would be proud.

Bakura's room, just across the great corridor and behind two Ionic columns, was done up in brilliant airy tones of blue tinted with silver. It was the perfect mirror of Malik's room, beautiful and elegant.

Konomae stood back, stepping between the two rooms to admire her handiwork once more. It was then that she noticed her brother wandering towards her and she hurried to retrieve him and show off what she had done.

****

"Ra, woman, where are you taking us?" Bakura demanded hotly. They had left the city an hour ago and on foot no less. His sides were beginning to ache and there was a dull, throbbing pain in both feet. Suddenly, he stopped and refused to go any further.

Shorai pursed her lips; she'd seen this one coming of course. "Bakura, it's not much farther. Already the city's given way into the less populated parts of this place. Ten more minutes and we'll be where we need to be."

"And where is that?" Malik asked softly, one hand massaging his side, the other tapping a finger thoughtfully against his chin.

Taking in a deep breath, Shorai simply looked at the two. They would follow her, of this she was certain, she could see it clearly when she looked into the future. However, this difficulty they were displaying was starting to agitate her nerves. Sighing out the breath she'd just taken, Shorai shrugged. "It's wherever it is, Malik," she shrugged again, "and I can only go to it. But I promise it's only ten more minutes." She folded her arms across her chest, covering up the long stripe of white that went across the pale blue shirt.

Eventually, they conceded, but not after a good long rest which turned that ten minutes into at least thirty. When at last the two jumped to their feet and gazed at Shorai expectantly she sighed and beckoned them follow her once more. This time they did with minimal grumbling. Finally the three came to a large field, empty save for the swaying grasses tinted silver in the approaching moonlight. She led them to the very center of it, seeking out the ripple of power from which she'd come earlier. It was like a set portal back to the temple, always open but only accessible by the Eien themselves. Hand outstretched, she let her fingers run delicately over the surface of it, feeling the magic and power like fine silk thread beneath her hand. Then she reached out to the two men. "Each of you, take my hands and then we shall leave."

For a few moments, Bakura and Malik could only stare. It would suffice to say that it looked rather awkward to see this girl literally stroking the air as if something were actually there for her to touch. However, they had let themselves follow her this far and they weren't going to turn back now. Bakura was the first to step forward and he wrapped his hand tentatively around Shorai's. She offered him a smile as he took in the delightful warmth of her palm on his. Then Malik slid his fingers between those of her other hand and she also turned to him with the same expression. He looked almost dumbstruck now that he was actually touching her, as if he could feel the very essence of magic flowing from her hand into his. As she began to chant softly, both men found pale blushes staining their cheeks.

The language in which she chanted was both melodic and haunting and as she neared the end of this chant, her eyelids slipped half way down and suddenly they were surrounded in a massive cloud of silver light. Malik and Bakura were blinded temporarily by it, but they were startled to hear Shorai laughing. "Wow, it's always such a rush!" she exclaimed, throwing her head back with another round of giggles.

For the duration of their "trip," Bakura and Malik stayed oblivious to all around them save for the gentle grip of Shorai's hands. They couldn't see a thing, still wrapped up in that silver light, but they could hear her reassuring them it would be over soon.

Soon thereafter, the three touched down on solid ground. Bakura immediately fell onto his behind, leaving Shorai giggling and a small chuckle from Malik. However, Malik soon fell silent as he regarded the scenery around him. They were standing on a grassy hillside still tinted gold from the sunset. Not very far away, at the very top of this hill, was a massive temple all of white marble and beautiful Greek columns. The dying sunlight caught in the shimmer of the marble and did not reach the varying degrees of shadow beyond the columns. The two stood in awe of the place, neither able to speak, simply staring breathlessly ahead.

Shorai grinned and replied, "If you think the outside's this great... wow, you're gonna pass out when we go in!" Then she clapped the two of them on the back, grabbed up their hands and began pulling them towards the entrance.

****

They were not greeted at the door. Instead, Shorai did all the honors herself, sending out a mental message to Ima and Konomae to ready themselves for something of a grand show. Easily she found the rooms Konomae had prepared for their guests although she practically had to yell to get the two boys to actually look at her and stop staring dazedly at the temple around them. "Here," she stated simply, a slow smile forming on her face. "This is your room, Malik," she pointed to her right, "And this one is yours, Bakura," her finger swung towards the room on her left. "Go ahead and make yourselves at home and I'll call you back in a little while." The smile on Shorai's face was brighter than even the sun still sparkling outside.

Malik and Bakura exchanged a look as the Future rushed off down the hall, waving at them and strangely enough blowing kisses. "Guess we ought to get settled then," Bakura shrugged lightly and began to walk into the room prepared for him. At the door however he had to stop and stare dumbfounded at the decorative beauty beaming back at him. "Wow. They... they really go all out." A look over his shoulder found him staring at the back of Malik's speechless form and slowly the boy nodded and stepped inside his room.

Shorai raced through the halls, a million thoughts scattering about her head, thinking of the grand impression they must make, what she should wear, and how Ima and Konomae must act. Not that she thought any of these things would go wrong, in fact she could look ahead and know they most likely wouldn't. But that didn't stop her from this eerie feeling of stage fright. She didn't stop running towards her destination until she had tripped and toppled over onto her brother. "Ima!" she cried, slipping up and off of him. "Wow, I'm sorry!"

Ima, although shaking his head to clear it, wasn't in the least bit worried about her knocking him over. Instead he offered her a smile and said, "I take it they're here?"

"That's right. Oh, remind me to tell Konomae that the rooms are wonderful! And we have to go get dressed!" She rambled on in an excited manner, words blurring too fast together for Ima to even understand them. So he simply reached out, patted her auburn hair softly and shook his head.

"Calm down, Shorai," he spoke softly, his voice low and as soothing as lapping ocean waves.

Shorai found herself taking a deep breath and a sheepish grin filled her features. "Sorry, Ima. I can't help it! Where's Konomae?"

"Getting ready. I told her when you arrived," Ima reached forward and plucked at the shoulder of her shirt. "Those constricting human clothes, I don't understand them."

Shorai chuckled, "They're not very comfortable. But that's why I'm going to change. You and Konomae should get something on as well."

Ima saluted his sister with a grin, "Will do. Meet us in the Great Hall soon, okay? We'll cook up some shadow servants to get Bakura and Malik." Then he turned with a swish of his linen kilt and soon faded from her view. Shorai smiled and then went about to get her own things done.