Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Afraid of the Dark ❯ Conformity ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

*~ Afraid of the Dark~*

'Thought'

"Spoken"

\ Bakura's voice in his head \

\\ Yami Bakura's voice in Bakura's head \\

~*~*~ Scene Change ~*~*~

/Yugi's voice in his head/

//Yami's voice in Yugi's head//

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------

Part 5 - Conformity

He truly was cursed by the gods. If it wasn't enough that he had had a whole mortal future ahead of him to live with his tortured past, they had given him an eternity beyond that by sealing his soul into the Millennium Ring. He felt like a puppet, being played around continuously by the gods, making him suffer eternally.

Yami Bakura slumped to the floor of his soul room, in a tense silence. 'Not even 24 hours… not even 24 damned hours!'

He felt like screaming, or throwing a fit, or even better finding a little black hole he could crawl up into and die… but no… those damned gods would let him… instead they kept him shackled to Bakura. Yami Bakura clenched his hands into fists.

He had his reasons for why he treated the kid the way he did… just thinking about it was enough to break him down, and he pounded the floor continuously with his fists. How he wanted to find a nice tomb to raid… it sounded strange, but through his excruciating childhood it was the one place he could forget everything and relax… it was always so peaceful… and the dead couldn't exactly ruin it…

Yami Bakura frowned as he felt something cold roll down his cheek, and he lifted his throbbing hands up, in front of his face, scrutinizing them. They weren't at all like him, they were pale and delicate. No, this was just a façade, of the person there who could open up every single wound from his past oh so well. He had been tanned, with messy dark semi-long locks, and wasn't this delicate at all… 'No… I don't want to think about it anymore…'

He stood up and punched the wall in frustration, hating each tear that fell to the floor and smashed by his feet. He couldn't believe how weak he was being…

Bakura blinked his chocolate eyes and tilted his head… 'Did I just hear…?'

He found Yugi, Joey, Téa and Tristan all staring at him, "What's up?" Yugi questioned, frowning.

"Hmm? Nothing…" Bakura smiled warmly at them, staring out at all the socializing pupils around them. He picked up his sandwich and took a bite out of it, before he heard it again. 'I…have to see…' he looked at the others, who were overly-concerned about him ever since the Millennium Ring had returned, a day after they had rid of it. It had just…appeared out of nowhere, like it was never meant to part with him… "I have to see…"

Yugi and Joey both turned to him, brows furrowed.

"I haven't heard even a word from him since the ring returned… and I just thought I could hear… crying,"

He could have sworn that Joey looked as though he was having a heart attack after his remark, and he could see that Yami wanted to give his input as he momentarily took over Yugi's body, "if you feel you must, be very cautious,"

The snowy youth nodded, before retreating into the depths of his mind.

Bakura gulped as he stood outside his yami's soul room and found that he was shaking. 'Perhaps this isn't such a good idea…' he frowned as he heard a loud crash come inside, 'what am I saying? Of course this isn't a good idea… but...' he reached out a slender hand and pushed open the door, stepping in with all the courage he had.

He couldn't do anything but gawp at what greeted him.

The whole darkened Egyptian style room and been torn to pieces and in the corner, pounding the wall with raw fists was his Yami. His Yami with reddened eyes, a tear-stained face and sobbing angrily.

Bakura could have sworn his jaw would've dropped to the floor if it were physically possible. He was totally and utterly speechless.

Yami Bakura spun round and saw the other staring at him. "You…!" he hissed, running over.

Before Bakura knew what was happening, he was lifted into the air by his shirt collar. He closed his eyes as Yami Bakura raised a fist, but was shocked with the result, "Open your eyes!" he snarled, lifting Bakura's face with his other hand.

Yami Bakura stared in a malevolent silence, 'this little boy… how does he do it? Why is he allowed to shatter my mind countless times with one smile… why do I have to be roped to someone who has everything so easy, and yet gets so much support when the slightest thing goes wrong? Why do the gods continue to mock me so?'

He snapped out of his thoughts and dropped Bakura down to the floor, turning round and walking back the way he came.

Now Bakura was worried; since when did his Yami not take a chance to beat him?

He pulled himself to his feet and ran after the other, grabbing onto his arm and pulling him back. Bakura felt a little relieved when he felt a tensed fist connect with his jaw, knocking him to the floor. "What is it you want with me?!!" Yami Bakura practically screamed at his light, shaking.

'Shaking…?' Bakura blinked a couple of times before pulling himself to his feet and staring at the other. "…What's…wrong with you?" he questioned softly, still staring at him.

The question had completely taken Yami Bakura off guard, and took a few moments to register; he then edged back, staring at his light oddly. Never in his lifetime had he heard someone say that to him like that… and it caused him to snap.

He clutched his head tightly shaking his head, rambling incoherently in Egyptian. How could he take this…? He wanted to scream out. "Why don't you try being cursed by the gods to live for millennia trapped inside -that, haunted by every fucking day of your miserable, worthless past!? Only to be 'freed' and live in the façade of some little brat, losing whatever last bit of identity you had, who has it so easy?! Who couldn't possibly understand the shit you've been through?! Watching them frolic about happily, loved by everyone, every fucking day?!!"

Bakura blinked in shock as he watched the spirit drop to his knees, hissing and sobbing angrily. He didn't know what to do… they stayed in silence for a few minutes, before Bakura finally thought of something to say.

"What if… you got this all wrong?" he received a death-glare in response, and took a deep breath before continuing nervously, "…maybe you aren't being cursed by the gods, maybe you're getting a second chance at life? You have nothing left that ties you to your past… and… I can help you start new, if you'd like…"

Yami Bakura stared at his light, before pulling himself up in silence.

After a momentary still, Yami Bakura pushed past Bakura quietly, going deeper into his soul room with a smirk emerging on his face.

Bakura smiled, before turning and leaving. That shove was as close as he was going to get to a 'thank you'.

He could tell things were going to change.

For the better.

~ The End ~

^_~