Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Back To Ancient Egypt ❯ Tears and Blood ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Priestess: The chapter after this is the last one ::ducks very fast:: Hey! Watch it! If I get reviews for this chapter and the next, I'll write a sequel. I already wrote it, actually, I just haven't typed it up. It has a lot more romance than this fanfiction-even a Touzoku Ou/Atemu lemon or two-so I suggest you review!

***

Atemu's head was throbbing as it always did after seeing and usually getting into an argument with the white-haired bandit, though a tiny part of him realized that it was his fault as much as it was Touzoku Ou's, if not more so. He sighed, rubbing his temples. It wasn't as if he enjoyed torturing Touzoku Ou, at least not anymore-

"Then why do you do it?"

Atemu froze at the sound, whirling around. He didn't see anything. He didn't hear anything, either. Had it been his imagination?

He started to turn, and a blazing pain struck his stomach.

He crashed into the wall, causing a shelf of treasures to fall over. He struggled to his feet, but a fist he couldn't see smashed into his jaw with searing force and his head slammed against the wall. His jaw felt broken, and he could taste the unfamiliar tang of blood.

"What…?" he began, and froze. There was a being in front of him, tall and white-haired but not Touzoku Ou. He was too pale, too slender, his hair was too long. He was wearing a sleeveless white dress (if you're a Yu Yu Hakusho fan, it's the outfit worn by Youko Kurama), white slippers, and an expression of pure rage.

The air around him seemed to glow, to hum with power, and there was a depth of wisdom and fury in his eyes that Atemu had never seen before.

He was a god. And he was angry.

***

Touzoku Ou's head throbbed, the cuts on his back stinging fiercely. Knowing himself the way he did, he was sure the pain and the injuries would vanish within a day.

But soon there would just be more pain, and more injuries.

He groaned and rolled over, ignoring the sharp anguish which lanced up his spine. This was one of the worst things about being a prisoner-hour after hour lying around with nothing to do but think, and it wasn't as if he had anything pleasant to think about.

He sighed, wishing they could just kill him and be done with it. But no, that would be too merciful, wouldn't it? They wouldn't be content with his death. They wanted to make him suffer for as long as they could, and they wouldn't be satisfied until he broke down completely.

He rolled over again, so his face was pressed against a pillow. Tears trickled down his cheeks, and he didn't bother to wipe them away as he wondered how it was possible to break something that had already been shattered into a thousand pieces already.

***

Bakura's eyes flamed blood-red as another wave of power slammed Atemu into the wall again. He grabbed the ruler by his hair-so like Yu-Gi-Oh's, but so much fancier-and hissed, "I want to ask you one question-did you enjoy it? Did you like making him suffer, making him feel as if he wasn't even human?"

Atemu's only reply was a whimper, and Bakura's fingers dug into his scalp until they drew blood. In a voice that was barely human, he snarled, "Did you?!"

Atemu shook his head frantically, looking as though he wanted to cry. Bakura didn't feel even a sparkle of pity, not while he could still feel the anguish and despair radiating from the cell Touzoku Ou lay in.

"Or did you not think it mattered? Did you think, because he was a thief, he didn't have enough humanity to feel pain? Or was it simply because he didn't show any? Did you think he was joking when he said he was dying? He wasn't."

Bakura had hit a nerve. Atemu's eyes widened, and he could see a definite note of fear that had nothing to do with the fact that an angry god seemed to be trying to kill him.

"Or is it just that the only suffering which matters to you is the suffering of those you care about?" he continued, releasing him. Atemu's head thumped against the wall, but he didn't seem to notice. He just stared at him with an expression somewhere between horror and disbelief.

"That would make sense, wouldn't it?" Bakura continued, eyes narrowed. "After all, it isn't as if you or anyone else in the world cares about him, is it?"

"That isn't true!" cried Atemu without thinking, then he covered his mouth in horror. Even kings did not dare challenge gods.

"You love him," Bakura said it flatly, as if it were just a fact-and it was, but it just so happened to be the fact that had turned his life upside down. "You love him, and yet you still treat him like he's shit-like he's something worse than shit!"

"That isn't true," Atemu repeated, though this time his voice was little more than a whisper. It was scary, hearing a god who sounded so like Touzoku Ou trying to pound the life out of him.

Then again, anybody-human, god, or otherwise-trying to pound the life out of him would probably be just as scary, especially if s/he seemed to be doing a good job at it.

"Oh, isn't it?" Bakura sneered. "Wake up, Pharaoh." He spat the word as if it were a disease. Atemu had thought Touzoku Ou was the only one who spoke like that…"The world may revolve around your wishes, but the laws of nature don't. You can't do something that will kill a guy and then think everything's fine because you aren't necessarily trying to kill him!"

"I…" Atemu whispered. "But…he always acts so strong…"

"Yes, he does. Acts being the key word in that. It's all an act. You've sapped him of all hope, all strength, all will to go on. Do you want to see?"

Atemu shook his head, frantic, but Bakura waved a hand and an image appeared before him. He stared, astonished, into the little cell Touzoku Ou was in-and, with even more astonishment, at the sight of the Thief King lying on the ground.

His coat was almost entirely off, and the scars on his back showed clearly against the bronze skin. Though his face was pressed into a pillow, some magic made it possible that Atemu could see his face-and, more specifically, the tears on said face.

Then the image was gone, but Atemu could still feel the tears on his own cheeks. It took him more than a full minute to realize that it was him crying.

"Now do you see? Now do you understand what you do to him?" Atemu barely heard the words. He stared, vision misted by tears, at the direction where the image of Touzoku Ou had been. Bakura sneered.

"I should kill you right now-or, better yet, make you go through what he did until you die yourself-but you remind me too much of my own lover. But I swear, if you ever hurt him again, I'll make you pay in blood and tears, and it's a high price."

And then he was gone, and Atemu was alone with his tears.

***

The delicate steps of Aishisu's slippered feet on the marble ground were the only sound in the hall. The High Priestess had made sure that she went somewhere entirely devoid of anybody else, be it servant or Priest or warrior or falcon, wanting to be alone with her thoughts and uninterrupted by others.

So much had happened, and so quickly, that she hadn't been able to take it all in. It had been at least two months since she had gained her own body, and she still jumped whenever she caught her reflection in water or metal or glass or anything else.

Otherwise, she had adjusted surprisingly well-then again, both her lives had taught her that anything was possible and the best thing to do was accept it.

And it wasn't as if it was something bad, like Malik's death…

No. she didn't want to think about that. Malik had not even been born yet, and his incarnation in this time was not her brother-you do not fall in love with your brother. It simply isn't done.

Said incarnation wasn't even in the palace at the moment-he was off leading another battle, and she missed him.

Aishisu had never been able to see the point to war, just about any war, and this war was no different. It wasn't as if Touzoku Ou would-or, due to the bracelet, even could-help another country, or let himself be worshipped as a god.

Thinking of the white-haired Bandit King made Aishisu sigh. Though he had been prisoner in the palace for two months or more, she and her two loves hadn't been able to do much about his relationship with Atemu-other than get Touzoku Ou out of the dungeon, and compile enough evidence that even Seth was convinced.

Aishisu was certain none of them could have wanted to get the two together more than him, especially due to the fact that she had seen how good they were together.

Though she hadn't seen it much, since she left soon afterwards…

Stop it! she chided herself. The past is overwait, it's the futurethe future hasn't happened yetit isn't going toor is it?

She was giving herself a headache.

"Something wrong?"

Aishisu jumped at least a foot and whirled around before remembering herself and straitening. She met Seth's gaze squarely. "No," she replied, marveling over how beautifully blue his eyes were-many of the people she knew, including herself and Touzoku Ou, had blue eyes, but his had a meaning behind them…

"I just…" she searched her mind for an excuse, trying to stop herself from thinking too much about his eyes. "I miss Mariku," she admitted. Isis had been an expert at hiding the truth while still telling the truth, a skill which had come in handy more than once.

Seth shrugged, walking closer. "I do, too," he replied, his sapphire eyes seeming to swallow her up. "But I'm not walking around looking like this-" He made an expression somewhere between forlorn and frustrated, and Aishisu was unable to suppress a chuckle.

"There is a war going on. Mariku is the Chief of Military-a job he is much more suited to than Priest, in my opinion at least. Surely you agree?" He paused long enough for her to nod, before continuing, "We are in a war against half the world. He'll be gone a lot. You have to deal with it."

"Of course," Aishisu murmured, unable to look away from him. Isis had loved Mariku a lot longer than she had loved Kaiba-Kaiba had seemed almost no more than a last resort-but Aishisu had always been attracted to Seth. Having him this close could prove to be a distraction.

Only the knowledge that no Priest or Priestess was able to conduct in sexual activity while on duty-which was essentially all day-made her refrain from pouncing on him.

That, and the fact that she did have some dignity, though not nearly enough. Their noses were touching! And was it just her or did he have his hands on her hips?

Then Seth took one more step forward, and the space left between their lips seemed to vanish as if by magic.

***

It was a long, long time before Atemu found the strength to rise. He had stopped weeping hours ago-it seemed even the great Pharaoh could run out of tears.

He felt dull, dizzy, and wasn't certain how many days had passed-he only knew days had passed, because the sun had set and risen at least three times. It was a wonder that no one had come in to check on him-then again, he supposed the god might have had something to do with it.

Uttering silent thanks-for, in spite of how terrifying he was, the white-haired god had indeed helped him and seemed the type to feel angry if not thanked-Atemu washed away his tears before calling some of his maids.

Once he was bathed and dressed, he summoned up every ounce of strength and patience he had-he would need it to speak to Touzoku Ou.