Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Cold Hard Truth ❯ Undefined part two ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Undefined Part Two


Icy cold water closed over her head, making it difficult to breathe. Fear bubbled up in her like the air that slowly escaped from her lungs. Exhaustion weighted her down as she sank deeper into the water, allowing the current to have its way with her. What was there to fight for anyway without the only one who truly cared for her? She remembered lying awake at night just to hear the reassuring sound of her breathing beside her in their small bed. It made her feel warm and safe, comforted by the thought that all was well at the moment as long as… What? What was such a feeling called and why didn't she feel that way anymore? Everything was so cold now like ice. Where had that feeling gone? She felt so alone and it scared her. Where are you? Why did you leave me? "Sissy."

A nurse looked up from the charts with a saddened expression then left the room with her newest set of vitals. One of the other nurses looked at her with pity in her eyes. "No change?"

She shook her head with a sigh. "No. She still calls for Sissy."

"I do wish we could find this Sissy for her because she could do wonders for the little girl's recovery."

"If she recovers." The head nurse cautioned. "She was probably in that cold water for a long time and who knows how long she was beside it before they found her."

"It's a wonder the poor dear is still alive." Another sighed as she came to replace the other. "Don't fret so much, Dory. Now go and enjoy your time with your cousin."

"And if you find any gorgeous guys…" The younger one giggled.

"Yeah yeah, Char, I know the drill. Now take care of our little Jane while I'm gone."

"You know it, now scat."

Dory rolled her eyes, but obeyed their orders and hurried from the children's ICU ward. While her heart ached for each and every one, she still was eager to catch the train that would take her back home to Domino. It would be good to see her cousin, who was her only living relative. Rosalie had been there for her through her darkest times like the death of her parents after high school and her many breakups. They were closer than some sisters so it didn't surprise their friends when both of them ended up in the medical field. However, Dory's plans didn't include remaining a nurse. For now she was content with her young patients until she found where she truly belonged in her field.

"Dory!" Rosalie exclaimed when she saw her younger cousin amid the colorful umbrellas.

"Rosalie, you didn't tell me it was still raining here!" She whined once she found refuge under her cousin's bright pink umbrella.

"You didn't ask." The doctor teased as she navigated through the throng to a waiting limo.

"Wow a limo! What happened to your car?"

Her answer was a soft blush on Rosalie's cheeks. "Roland won't let me drive in the rain. Well that and I've been staying at the Kaiba mansion since the rain leaked into my apartment."

"More like it flooded her apartment." A tall, dark, and handsome man intoned as he held open the door.

"And it ruined everything." Rosalie bemoaned once they slid into the soft leather luxury.

"Well nothing that a shopping trip won't fix." Dory's grin turned into a grimace at the gloomy weather outside. "That is once the rain stops."

"Good luck with that." Roland teased them from the front.

"Be nice, Ro, or I'll close this nice little window between us."

Her only answer was his laugh. Dory chuckled when she saw her cousin's expression as she shivered in reaction. Very interesting indeed.  'This is gonna be fun!'

Later at dinner with the Kaiba's, Rosalie leaned forward with a spark of interest in her green eyes. "So tell me about your work, Dory. Any interesting patients?"

"Actually yes. A little girl came to us after the floods a few months ago. We don't know her name so we call her 'little Jane'. You see she isn't quite in a coma anymore, but she has these awful dreams that just breaks our heart. She keeps calling for someone named 'Sissy'."

The sudden clatter of a fork against a plate redirected their attention further down the table. Seka stared blankly ahead as she concentrated on each breath while she clutched her locket like a lifeline. "Sissy, what's wrong?"

"I-It was Mika's first word." She said dazedly. "S-She couldn't say 'sister' and the name just stuck."

Seka drew another sharp breath then closed her eyes against the memory. "First she begged me to save her, but then she pleaded for me to let go when the current threatened to take me too. I couldn't…I wouldn't…so she did."

Mokuba touched her arm. "It's not your fault."

Fury and pain clouded her blue eyes when she gazed at him through a teary haze. "Then why do I feel so bad? She was only six years old! I never wanted to live without her!"

Sobs thickened her voice as carefully constructed walls finally crumbled. "Mika, why didn't you take me with you?"

"Because she wouldn't of wanted to be the cause of your death."

Bright sapphire eyes looked up at Dory to find understanding and compassion. Slowly she released the catch of the golden heart to reveal the treasure inside for the first time of her own will. Green eyes widened at the truth that had been held within. "Our little Jane is your Mika."

"What?" She asked with disbelief in her voice.

"Seka, your sister is alive only she hasn't completely woken up since she came to us." Her eyes brightened with excitement. "Now that we've found her 'Sissy' she just might have a chance!"

“We will leave the moment the storm clears.  By then, Roland, I want the jet ready.”

“Yes sir.”

“I'm sorry that your trip will be cut short.”

Dory nodded at the girl who was being held by the younger Kaiba.  “For this it is entirely worth it.”

“My sister is alive.”  Only wonder was in her tone now.

~js~


Her hands were warmer than she remembered, but they still hadn't responded to her presence. It has been several days since they had gotten to Kyoto.  Seto had quickly gotten attached her sister, she could tell, as had Joey.  Both hardly ever left her bedside as they all tried to coax her awake.  Mokuba and Ren had stayed in Domino so the younger girl wouldn't have a set back.  Her protests were convincing but, in in the end, gave it up when she  understood that it would be in the best interest of her new yet-to-be-met sister.  Even with her worry for her sister, Seka couldn't help but laugh quietly to herself.  “They have no idea what they're getting into.”

Seka brushed the damp black strands from her sister's forehead.  At least her high fever had finally broken. She was in a natural sleep, as Dr. Rosalie had assured her, but still...  "Mika, it's me…Sissy.  Please come back to me, I've missed you so much. I can't bear to lose you again cause a life without you is no life at all."

Tears fell on the still face as Seka snuggled against her little sister. She would not let go of her again. "Sissy, ya caught me."

"Mika." Seka breathed, afraid that it was just another dream when a wet kiss on her cheek was accompanied by a giggle.

"Seka, you found me!"

“Of course I did!  What kind of sister do you take me for?”

“The bestest ever!”  Deep violet eyes danced at her sister as the six-year-old bounced on the sibling who had yet to let her hand go. Tears of disbelief filled once-dulled sapphires until the truth sank in. It was then that Seka's first real smile, in what felt like forever, graced her lips. The carefree laugh that followed warmed many hearts with the happy reunion once both girls found themselves locked into each others' arms. Their laughter seemed to brighten the ward and no one stepped in to stop their exuberance for it was better than any homecoming.  Finally the sun was shining again.

~js~


Months later, big lacy snowflakes drifted to the white ground and settled upon a cherry red nose. Soft white puffs escaped rosy lips as the girls giggled in the soft snow. Fluffy white snow clung to brown hair under a deep blue hat when Seka carefully left her work-of-art to smile happily at the perfect snow angel. Ren giggled at her uncle when he tripped and ended up with snow up his nose. Mokuba spluttered then took after his niece as she squealed. He skidded to a stop when a glob of snow hit the side of his face. "Who?"

Seka smirked as she stood poised with another snowball in her blue gloved hand. The light of pure joy had turned her eyes to such a clear blue that they left the teen mesmerized. "I could say the classic line, but not only are you too damn tall, it is such a worn out line anyway. Then again, you're so old that you'd never escape my evil plan. Wahahaha!"

"By only six-mmmph!" Mokuba coughed as he wiped the next snowball from his face when several rounds of laughter came from the open main door. His eyes softened at the sight of his big brother behind Joey with his arms around him and his chin resting on the blond head. Even after all this time their love still burned just as bright; it never ceased to amaze him how much Seto had changed. To see them like this was the gift he always enjoyed each year along with his little niece's joy. This year held extra blessings with two more special angels who had further brightened the manor with their laughter.

At his family's questioning looks, he rubbed his nose with an embarrassed chuckle. "Say, is the hot chocolate ready yet?"

Seto smiled at the familiar habit then nodded. "Come in before you all get sick since it's getting colder."

Seka sighed in contentment with her hands wrapped around the warm mug as she sat curled up in front of the fire. She chuckled at the foamy mustaches both her sisters wore when Mokuba swiped at the one she had been unaware of. A soft blush tinged her cheeks when he licked his thumb with a satisfied grin. "Be careful of who you laugh at before you check your own face."

She smirked in response. "Says the guy who had snow up his nose."

He stuck out his tongue, but a quick grin ruined the effect. "You're so much like Seto it's scary."

"No doubt." Joey agreed. "Seka even has the smirk and poise down just right."

"Yet you love me anyway." Seto teased then proceeded to tickle Joey until he gasped.

"See what ya started, Mokie?"

Yet the light in warm honey brown eyes said so much more than words ever could. They held a standing promise of never giving up; of fighting for what mattered the most. Seka had never truly understood love in general, other than what she felt for her sister and now her new family, but in that moment it had never been clearer to her. To think that the best moments could be those in which words aren't even spoken, because actions say it best. It reminded her of a song she had heard long ago and didn't quite get it at the time.  Yet now she held the words to her heart like a precious gift--a treasure. Her soft voice summed up the cozy scene better than anyone could of imagined…

It's amazing how you can speak right to my heart. When you hold me near, you light up the dark. Try as I may I could never explain, what I feel when you don't say a thing.
Chorus: The smile on your face lets me know that you need me. There's a truth in your eye sayin' you'll never leave me. The touch of your hand says you'll catch me whenever I fall. Now you say it best when you say nothing at all.
All day long I can hear people talking out loud. But when you hold me near I try not to crowd. Old mister Webster could never define. What's being said between your heart and mine.
Chorus: The smile on your face lets me know that you need me. There's a truth in your eye sayin' you'll never leave me. The touch of your hand says you'll catch me whenever I fall. Now you say it best when you say nothing at all.

Nothing at All Allison Krauss


END