Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Wings ❯ Crimson Sunset ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Come into my arms…my dearest. Do not hesitate, my love. My arms will hold you…embrace you…soothe your aching soul. Your wings are dreary and your body is so very weak. Your eyes have become glazed with nothing but exhaustion. Allow me to carry you in my arms…beloved Ra. Let me cradle you into my blissful dreams. My dearest sun…you are crying. Why are you shed tears, beloved? Why do you feel sorrow? Your light…why…it has faded! Why has your light faded so dearly?! Have the mortals truly taken so much away from you? Do they honestly think of so much from you that they strip the life away from your wings? Must you always come to them every single day of their foolish lives? Can't you rest…just this once? You have done so much for them...and you haven't laid your body into the heavens for hours on end. Do not push yourself…my beloved phoenix, for even the strongest of all gods shall fall under the tides. Let me comfort you…let me nourish you with my hands. Rest your wings on my shoulders and lay your head upon my knees. Let your soul fade into my waters and your light waver in the darkness. Become my setting sun, my dearest Ra, and let your feathers taint my rivers. Close your eyes and allow your soul to replenish…for the world can wait…just this once…
 
“Let's head back Kuruelna! We aren't going to find anything else here tonight!”
 
The villagers nodded and quickly stepped away from the Nile River. They gathered their belongings, empty baskets, and pitiful faces as they retreated from the waters. The people began to walk away, but two villagers…a woman with long ebony hair with emerald eyes and a man with long brunette hair and amber eyes…stayed to watch the sunset.
 
Crimson skies were fading as Ra began to fall in the distance. Amber and orange were cloaked by the night skies and rivers were beginning to rustle, welcoming the descending sun into its arms. The clouds were accumulating above the horizon, casting an eerie shadow over the desert sands. A slight breeze brushed against the river's skin, soothing its delicate waters. The two villagers smiled at the radiant sunset as Tefnut began to consume the sun god in her arms.
 
“It is amazing…” the woman began, staring in awe,” Ra shall be resting peacefully tonight. Do you not agree?” Her husband gazed into her emerald eyes with amber. He was sad…disappointed. His smile was fading…
 
“You do not feel grateful towards Ra's redemption?” The man shook his head, starring into the fading sunset.
 
“It is too calm tonight,” he replied suspiciously, “I sense that danger lies ahead for us. Tonight shall be longer than we could possibly imagine.” His wife stared at him worriedly and came closer to his side.
 
“Why do you worry so?” she asked, “It's not as if we have done anything to anger the gods. Yet you fear the worst is yet to come…that Osiris will send Anubis to devour us. Don't you even have any faith in Ra left?” The two villagers stayed silent for a few moments. The river had almost consumed the sun completely. The husband turned towards emerald eyes.
 
“Even the gods can feel pain, my love. Sometimes, they become so weak that they can no longer protect. This night, the river has conquered the sun. It will continue to soothe the phoenix wings until daybreak.” The woman hesitated and nodded her head.
 
“If what you say is true, then what shall we tell the other villagers?”
 
“Tell them…Ra has fallen into the waters of the Nile. He shall not be able to protect us tonight.” With that said, the couple turned towards the path leading to Kuruelna, leaving the sun god to be devoured by the Nile.
 
The villagers wandered into a hidden valley, carved by millennia of Ra's fury. This passage was only known to Kuruelna, making it very convenient in crossing, trading, and sometimes thievery in secret. There were cliffs to hide behind, endless caves to escape through, sharp rocks to create weapons, and Kuruelna was safely tucked away on the other side of the valley, the entrance hidden within the shadows.
 
Many of the villagers were frustrated and hungry, do to the lack of fish in the Nile.
 
“Tefnut (1) has not been generous these past few days.”
 
“You got that right. Man…what will we tell the other guys back at home, eh?”
 
“Or maybe the pharaoh has been taking more than his fair share.”
 
“For the love of Ra! Do not speak ill will of Pharaoh Akunumkanon! He is a kind and generous king!”
 
“Yeah…generous enough to the point of stupidity.”
 
“Please hush! What if the gods hear you? They will certainly punish you!”
 
“Well, I'll be damned! For all I know…the pharaoh should be punished instead of us! Taking all the fish…feh…the nerve of that guy!”
 
“Honestly…are you blind? We are in the middle of a Civil War! He could be giving the fish to his soldiers.”
 
“Do you really believe in all of that bullshit?!”
 
“What did you just say?!”
 
Footsteps…amazingly soft footsteps. The villagers stopped their quarreling as the sound of the vibrating sand continued their songs. All of them gazed at the young Egyptian coming forth from the darkness. A boy of seven with a pale shirt and pants wore that expression of nothing but innocence. He had lavender eyes, tri-colored hair of red, black, and a crown of yellow bangs. His skin was a light peach despite the continuous beating rays of light that grazed upon his delicate skin. Around his neck was a crystal, large enough to probably fit a small arrowhead. It glittered with such radiance that even the pharaoh would be jealous. IT was held by a soft brunette thread, tan like the desert sand. He was small for his age, but something about him made it seem he was wise for his age.
 
The boy gazed in confusion on the bickering group of villagers. At first, he simply glanced at them, but he paid no mind to it after a little while and continued walking in the opposite direction of them as if they were never there. The woman with emerald eyes followed her gaze on the child's movements towards the Nile.
 
“Back again, Yugi?” The boy turned towards the woman, an expression of utter confusion written on his face.
 
“Well…yeah,” Yugi replied, “I always walk to the Nile every time Ra descends from the heavens. I'm kinda late today so I'm in a hurry. Is there something wrong?” The woman shook her head, ignoring the continuous whispers from the other villagers. Something told Yugi that he was in for something…
 
“You won't find him there…” she stated firmly, “He never comes to mortals such as ourselves…not in person at least. He comes through the birth of miracles. You know this as well as I do.”
 
“I know…” Yugi responded, “I just want to see him before he says goodbye. It won't take long.”

The boy was determined to see the sun disperse from the sands of Egypt…and nothing the villagers could say would change his mind. Every night when the villagers came back from the Nile, they would always see those lavender eyes gazing at Ra. No one was really sure why the boy would set aside part of his day just watching Ra descend to the Earth. But no one had the heart to ask him anyway. Sometimes, people saw Yugi praying in the banks of the Nile, half of his body submerged in water. He was a strange boy, but he was faithful. No one in Kuruelna, heck all of Egypt, was as devoted to Ra as Yugi was. That was why no one asked him why he did the things he did. It would be dishonorable to Yugi and to Ra…and the last thing anyone wanted was to make the gods angry by straying the youth away from his path.
 
Yugi was becoming annoyed now by the pleadings of the woman begging him to not go to the Nile. He had always gone to the Nile since the day he was born to say good-bye and pray to Ra. There was no way in hell a few villagers were going to stop him from seeing Ra off. If he didn't leave soon, he would never be able to see Ra fall into the depths of Tefnut. Crossing his arms, he began to tap his foot and express annoyance and impatience.
 
“Listen,” Yugi began sternly, “I always see the sun god descend into the Nile every single night of my life. Today, I may not be able to say good-bye to him. I have to hurry or else I won't send my blessings!” The villagers were taken aback by this sudden outburst. This was why the villagers respected Yugi. His compassion for Ra was stronger than Pharaoh Akunumkanon's. The woman sighed and tried once more to convince Yugi to return home.
 
“It is not safe tonight,” she began softly, “The village leader depicts that an evil omen will befall upon Egypt soon.” Yugi's face now looked concerned.
 
“Why's that?” Yugi asked.
 
“Don't you see? Tefnut's denial of fish to our village…endless nights without the tears of Nun (2)…and Ra's continuous dimming of light. The gods are angry and Ra cannot protect us from them?”
 
“How come?” Yugi asked startled, “Ra isn't hurt is he?”
 
“Well…” the woman replied, “I am uncertain…but I believe that Ra is more tired than ever today. He had descended much quicker than all of the other nights.” Yugi was shocked and have began to sprint towards the Nile.
 
“WAIT!” the woman cried. Yugi stopped and looked back at the puzzled villagers.
 
“You aren't seriously planning on seeing Ra, are you?”
 
“I have to!” Yugi yelled back, “If Ra is injured, then it is all the more reason I have to go see him. I want to wish him luck in recovery and pray that he will be safe. Please…you have to let me go!” Yugi was desperate now and the woman could see in his eyes that the boy was serious. She nodded.
 
“I understand, Yugi…” she said quietly, “Just be careful! Set (3) and Apep (4) are watching your every move! May Osiris and Horus protect you from their darkness!” Yugi nodded and disappeared into the shadows without a trace. The villagers began to mutter amongst themselves.
 
“That boy has guts, I tell ya…”
 
“He's not even afraid of Set.”
 
“That is because he is strong,” the man of amber eyes began.
 
“Village leader…why do you believe so?”
 
“He has a strong heart. He will be fine. Ra would never let something happen to that precious follower of his. Come…let us return to the village before nightfall.” With everything said and no time wasted, the group of villagers quickly turned towards Kuruelna and began their trail once more.
 
Deep among the desert sands, laid a prosperous city. It was the highest of all the kingdoms in Egypt, carved with nothing but worship. It was once plastered with golden temple walls, alabaster stone, and large amounts of silver statues depicting the history of Ra and the birth of Egypt. However…today…Horus sang a different song. It was the song of remorse, one that never sings in the palace walls. The walls were covered with nothing but faded memories. Stone had worn away and the golden walls that once glimmered in the sun's gaze were now tainted with blood in the moonlight. Sekhmet was under siege…and Egypt was slowly dying.
 
Upon the walls, the eye of Horus gazed down upon the people. Indeed, Egypt had been experiencing many plagues. Tefnut had not brought rain for months...Apep had become even more destructive in his insidious laughter…Hatmehyt (5) had not sent her children down the Nile for days now…and Aken (6) must be angered by how many dead souls he would have to take to Osiris. It was a shame…none the less. Egypt was practically ready to collapse before Ra's very own eyes.
 
The Civil War between the Egypt and the other countries had continued to increase. Soldiers were continuously sent into battle, and starvation was always a risk. Since most of the food has to be sent to the battlefield, the villages around Sekhmet have become rather harsh and dry. More wars among other villages had erupted, and thievery had become a daily matter. Nothing seemed to be coming to an end, and Ra was showing signs of weariness more clearly as his wings faded little by little.
 
Upon the balcony in the palace, Pharaoh Akunumkanon was watching his kingdom shatter in the darkness. Ra was nearly gone now, cradled by Nun's loving hands. The pharaoh sighed, his garments and jewelry glimmering in what was left of the sun's generous light. His skin had become worn and his eyes had become glazed with brunette. His hair reach down to his shoulders, his beard as square as it could possibly get reaching down to the bottom of his neck. The crown covering his head had a cloth that protected his hair from the heat…but his face still began to sweat.
 
The pharaoh sighed. His kingdom was turning into dust. If something wasn't done about this war, then Egypt would surely die. The ruler turned tilted his head towards the sky.
 
“Nut (7)…why have you tortured us so with the shadows…”
 
“Sulking again…dear brother?” The pharaoh turned to see an older replication of himself gazing into his eyes. His brother looked older and his hair was definitely gray. His eyes were silver and not as brunette as his brothers. Walking to the pharaoh's side, he monitored the city and all that was left of its glory. Pharaoh Akunumkanon smiled weakly and turned towards the setting sun.
 
“What are you doing here, Akunadin?” the pharaoh asked.
 
“I was wondering where you were,” Akunadin replied, “You know…you should really be down there concentrating on how the city can thrive once more instead of beating yourself up on what has happened.” The pharaoh looked down into the marble balcony.
 
“I don't understand why all of this has happened,” he began sadly, “I can't comprehend why Ra and the other gods have done this to our people. I don't know what I have done wrong, and I have only just become pharaoh.” Akunadin nodded in agreement.
 
“It is not your fault, my pharaoh. Your father, don't mind me saying this, was one hell of a bastard. I do not mean to disrespect him, but his rule was quite harsh upon our people. Maybe the gods are simply punishing your for your father's past mistakes.” The pharaoh turned towards his brother. Indeed, his father had been a bastard. He was pharaoh, but a bastard none the less. The things he did made even him become uneasy. Torture chambers, continuous killings, and even genocide had taken place during his father's rule. In fact, the Civil War between the nations had started because of his father. Now all of Egypt had to suffer because of what the damned pharaoh did.
 
Pharaoh Akunumkanon sighed.
 
“Ra must be tired after all that has happened,” Akunumkanon pitied, “All of these deaths must make even the river of the dead overflow with dead bodies. Osiris and Anubis must have been having a horrible time down in the underworld. I feel that all of this is because of my father's and my own behalf.” Akunadin put a hand on the pharaoh's shoulder.
 
“Brother…do not loathe yourself for what your father had done. You are different than he was. You are a benevolent king and nothing like your old man. What has already happened cannot be undone. We must move forward and continue onto more pressing matters.” For once, his brother was right. The pharaoh could not let himself become misguided now. Egypt was in his hands, and one false move could prove disastrous. Pharaoh Akunumkanon nodded.
 
“Very well…” the pharaoh replied. Gazing at the sunset, he looked into those teary eyes of the heavens. His brother looked curiously at him.
 
“What is it that you see, my pharaoh?”
 
“Ra…” he began, “Ra is no longer able to stand any longer. He has become weak.”
 
“How do you know?”
 
“The sun has been dimming for the past few months now. I believe that this Civil War is the cause of this. We must end it as quickly as possible for our sake.”
 
“I agree,” Akunadin approved, “We cannot rely on the gods to help us now. We must take matters into our own hands.”
 
“But how, my brother?” Akunadin smiled.
 
“I believe that I have just the solution for you…” The pharaoh glanced at him suspiciously.
 
“Go on…” Akunadin smiled and took out his papyrus and parchment.
 
“I have been researching in the ancient text about Ra and the other worlds that he rules over. It seems that Egypt is connected directly to him and the.” The pharaoh looked confused.
 
“But why has Ra chosen us? There are other followers besides us in other countries...”
 
“I know. However, this is what the texts say about the relationship between Ra and Egypt. It says, `I cast upon thy wings of light upon these desert sands. My people have called to me, and I shall answer with open arms. Because you are most faithful, I shall grant you a place…a land upon which your people shall thrive. Serve under my wings and I will support you…become part of my sands and I shall protect you…' These were the words that the scholars think Ra said before creating Egypt. That is why we are so close to Ra…we are his chosen followers.”
 
The pharaoh looked at Akunadin surprised. Sure, he did know that Egypt was linked to Ra, but he didn't know Egypt was whom Ra favored most of all. He gazed into silver eyes and felt a shiver crawl up his spine. Something wasn't right…
 
“You have been studying, I see…” Pharaoh Akunumkanon began, “Why have you been looking up the history of Egypt? What purpose could it possibly serve during this time of war.” Akunadin gave an unpleasant smile.
 
“My pharaoh,” he replied, “I have been trying to find out what this land is truly capable of. Egypt is much more powerful than this…I just know it. We need to find out what Ra has given to us so that we may protect Egypt from the warring countries. Do you understand, sire?” The pharaoh eyed him, still unconvinced. Akunadin pushed harder.
 
“If we are the followers of Ra, then there must be something that he left us so that we may continue to be his followers for eternity. I just know that this power is somewhere…we just have to find it before it is too late.”
 
“And what kind of `power' are you speaking up, dear priest?” the pharaoh asked, voice rising. Akunadin searched through his parchment and came down to some drawings and notes that he had taken.
 
“As I have told you…I have been researching Egypt's history to find out what we already have in order to stop the enemy forces, and I think I have found it.” Akunadin pointed to a picture of a pyramid. Inside of the pyramid were creatures that Akunumkanon had never seen before. Surrounding the pyramid were the gods Horus, Set, Isis, Osiris, Anubis, Ammit (8), and Maat (9). Underneath the pyramid, were a hundred Egyptians…each praying to the heavens for mercy. Above the clouds was Ra…bleeding from the wings down. The sun god was crying in pain, his body tainted with so much blood. The pharaoh stared in shock at the dying Ra in the picture and glared angrily at Akunadin.
 
“Just what do you think you are implying?!” the pharaoh asked outraged. Akunadin did not flinch. He only smiled.
 
“I was in the Valley of the Kings when I came upon these inscriptions…” Akunadin replied slyly, “It depicts the power of the gods and their use upon the living world.” The pharaoh gasped.
 
“You mean…the gods can…”
 
“Yes, your majesty. If this ritual is successful, than the gods will be able to fall from the heavens and protect us from the enemy. At least…that is what the scroll depicts.” The pharaoh stared at the hieroglyphics, interested in what Akunadin had to say.
 
“Please continue…”
 
“Very well then, my pharaoh,” Akunadin began, “As you can see, this is a diagram of a ritual. Down below are what is needed to complete the ritual. If you look closer my pharaoh, you will see the prayers of a hundred Egyptians. This is what shall link this world to the heavens that lay above where the gods reside.”
 
“In the middle is a pyramid containing creatures not of this world. If all goes well…we should be able to summon these monsters at will to protect ourselves. Surrounding the pyramid are the 7 chosen gods, each containing their own symbol. The first is Horus, depicted with a pyramid that points towards the underworld. The second is Set, holding a golden rod with a dagger hidden within it. The third is Isis, containing a necklace around her neck. The fourth is Osiris, holding pyramid surrounded by a ring and 5 daggers facing the underworld. The fifth is Anubis, engraved with a golden eye. The sixth is Ammit, holding the ankh of Egypt. The last is Maat, depicted with the scale. These are called the sennen items (or millennium items).”
 
The pharaoh pointed towards the phoenix.
 
“And what about Ra?” the pharaoh asked shaking, “What will happen to him? He looks as if he is dead, that someone had committed the ultimate crime against him.” Akunadin smiled.
 
“Ra is showing he remorse for those who will face the sennen times,” Akunadin replied smugly, “His blood will rush through the sennen items, giving all of the users the power to summon the gods to our aid and the creatures inside the pyramid. Ra would be willing to sacrifice his blood to us to create these sennen items.” The pharaoh couldn't believe what he was hearing…but he looked down at the scroll again. It made perfect sense. With the sennen items, the civil war would end quickly with the aid of the gods. However…Ra would have to sacrifice himself in order to do so. The pharaoh shook his head.
 
“There has to be another way,” Pharaoh Akunumkanon reasoned, “We cannot allow Ra become weaker than he already is.”
 
“But this is the only way for Egypt to be saved,” Akunadin pointed out, “Unless the sennen items are created, Egypt will be destroyed! Do you think Ra would want that to happen?” The pharaoh snapped back to reality and looked at his brother.
 
“I guess…he wouldn't,” the pharaoh replied, “But how are we going to create the sennen items?”
 
“Leave that to me…” Akunadin bowed, “I assure you that I shall not fail you, my king.” Akunumkanon hesitated. Nodding, he turned looked towards the darkened sky.
 
“Make sure that it works…” Akunumkanon ordered, “But promise me that no matter what, the gods will not be hurt.” Akunadin smirked.
 
“As you wish…my pharaoh…”