Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Within ❯ Chapter I ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Happy birthday to you… happy birthday to you…”
_________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________
 
Today was Amane's birthday. Today was supposed to be a happy day. But how could a celebration of person be happy if they were already dead?
 
Chapter I- Happy Birthday
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
He lay in bed, thinking. Today was his sister's birthday. Of course he should have been happy, but how could a person be happy for the birth of a loved one if they were dead? The guy lying in his bed was Ryou Bakura, his dead sister, Amane. A young man of sixteen years old, he was just into his second year. His long semi-tidy, white hair brushed his eyes, a deep stunning blue, but now his large eyes were filled with tears.
Turning his head, those beautiful eyes fell upon a picture sitting on top of his desk. It was a photograph of him and his sister, along with their parents. A banner was hung above their heads, Happy Birthday Amane. They were all smiling. So happy. This picture was taken a year ago.
“Happy birthday Amane…” he said, his voice hollow. He closed his eyes. “I'm sorry that I couldn't say goodbye…” After that letter notifying the death of my sister, I haven't seen my family… or heard from them… It- it hurts. I don't care if it has only been a year; it still hurts just the same. A single tear slid down his pale cheek. His hand found its way on top of his millennium item, the millennium ring. It took him a while to realize that he was gripping the trinket tightly, so tightly that the pointers were being driven into his hand. The same hand that had been impaled when his other self played the RPG Monster World with his new friends. Blood started to seep out of the wound. Finally, he realized what he was doing, and released the ring. Slowly, he brought his hand up to his face to study the freshly made wound. He began to examine it; how the light would reflect off the metal, and the blood shining a bright crimson red.
How such a small item can ruin one's life… His fingers ran over the cold metal of the ring. “Yes,” he murmured to himself, “How this object ruined my life, making me so alone…”
You were always alone… His other self's words ran through his head again. You never had friends. Don't you remember? When you were a little boy you'd play by yourself, in the sandbox. You're lucky I'm here.
“Those are all lies!” he cried out. He gripped his ring once again.
If those are all lies, tell me the name of one of your friends that you had before. The one's that you had before you found me, his other self challenged. Bakura eyes widened, and he let out a short gasp. You can't, can you?
“I can't…” his voiced trailed off. “Why can't I remember?” A point of the millennium ring sank deeper into the palm of his hand.
It's not your memory at fault; it's just that you never had friends. At least not until you heard my voice. I helped you make friends. Remember that.
“No. You lie. You never helped me make friends. You… you took them away. At my old home, you locked my friends' souls into dolls. I remember!” He released the ring.
So, you still do remember… What a pity. But, remember this, your fallen dreams shall be realized by you soon... I will show you your fallen dreams. Soon…
“Gone…” He let out a soft sigh of relief. He flung the ring aside. “He's gone… But not for long…” A drop of sweat ran down his forehead. He let himself fall onto his bed. Then he heard a quick rap against the door of his apartment room. He let himself lay on his bed for a while before he got up to answer the door. He walked slowly; the blood trickled down his hand and splattered onto the floor with a plap plap. He didn't seem to notice. He opened the door revealing one of his friends, Anzu Mazaki.
 
END OF CHAPTER I