Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Dedication ❯ Crumbling ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Alright, another update, as promised! Oh yeah, and as per your question Jewel of Egypt, this will eventually be an Isis/Seto. Personally, I love the couple… but I never really see many fics about them. So, here I am, drinking a large glass of coffee and listening to an awesome song called 'dil ko hazar bar'…

My birthday is tomorrow! ^.^ Sweet sixteen!

~*~

Much to Isis' anxiety, Friday had rolled around the corner as quickly as the invitation to Seto had rolled off her tongue. She had been so busy, organizing the house, bills, address changing, enrolling Malik's test schedules, shopping for last minute house supplies, more grocery shopping and even more things. She hadn't even called Samuel to ask about this important 'problem' he was having. Well, Thursday night at six didn't help either, when she finally remembered to call him back. Isis was never a forgetful person, but this whole week was so hectic, and work was the last thing she remembered, since she was on leave for the week to get things set up.

"Oh! I can't believe I forgot to call Samuel!" She gasped, emerald eyes wide. She rushed out of her seat between Merik and Malik from watching TV with the three 'boys' and into the kitchen to dial the said man's cell number. It rung, once, twice, finally three times before-

"Samuel Singh speaking." Came the business like voice.

"Samuel! It's Isis! I am so sorry… I-"

"Ah.. Isis. It's alright… no need to apologize, I should be the one to apologize, you are on leave after all… and, well, the information I am supposed to pass onto you isn't exactly something that I am all to eager to say…" He sounded a bit down trodden.

"What is it?"

"…you're party is tomorrow, right?"

"Yes. But why can't you just tell me now? Is everyone still coming?"

"Of course… we all thought it should be better to tell you in person… the news that is."

"What is going on, Samuel?" Isis couldn't wait any longer, his usual elation that seemed to be spread to all exposed to him wasn't there, and instead, it was replaced with a dead, depressed tone.

"I'll tell you tomorrow night. That is, me, Sapna and Kevin."

"Alright… if you insist. I trust your judgment."

"Okay. See you tomorrow night." Without even saying a proper goodbye, the receiver clicked off, causing Isis to blink confused as she hung her phone up. "I wonder what has got into him, as of late?" She murmured to herself, heading back into the living room.

Ring… ring…

Raising a curious eyebrow at the ringing phone, she headed back over towards it again.

"Hello?"

"Isis-chan! I really need to talk to you! Do you mind if I come over now?"

"It's six, are you sure it isn't too late?"

"No, no!! This is extremely important! An emergency if you will…"

"An emergency? All right, Sapna." Isis confirmed, hanging up the phone and staring at it, as if it would ring once more to amuse her. After a moments wait, she headed back into the living room between her brothers as the show she were previously watching ended. "Sapna is heading over here right now; I hope you guys don't mind."

"Of course not." Merik said, mocking kindness with a grin. "I'm glad she's coming over-"

"Oh shut up." Malik snapped, glaring at the offending yami.

"What the hell is your problem?"

"You're such a freak!"

"Sapna is a beautiful woman, what's the matter with that?" Merik chuckled at Malik's expression.

"You're so gross! I still have a mind connection and share a soul room with you! Keep your disgusting thoughts to yourself!"

"Heh…" Merik paused, looked over at Isis before letting out a much needed laugh. She only shook her head, not wanting to know what was going on.

A show, Merik and Malik bickering more, and two mugs of coffee later, the doorbell finally rang. Isis glanced over at the time, reading 7:05. As soon as she opened the door, she found an Indian woman on her cell phone.

"You idiot!" After this statement, she burst out in full fluent Hindi, obviously telling him a piece of her mind. Isis didn't understand the language, but instead moved aside as the woman entered, dropping her purse on the dining room table and stepping out of her pumps. She wore a black and red business suit, and her long hair was let loose to trail down her back to her legs. She hung up with one final frustrated word, and looked over to Isis, her expression changing rapidly to that of sorrow.

"Modern day people are such morons…" She cocked her head to the side slightly.

"Would you like something to drink?" Isis said a smile across her face.

"If it isn't too much trouble," The Hindu smiled back.

"Alright, the boys are in the living room…" Sapna nodded and headed into the said room. She looked around curiously at the new house, happy for her friends.

"Sapna-san, would you like something to drink?" Rishid asked, standing.

"Isis is getting something for me, but thank you anyway." She nodded and sat down politely, before Isis entered the room with a steaming mug.

"Coffee," She said, handing the girl the mug.

"Thank you … Isis, is there a place we can talk privately?"

"Certainly, Let us go to my room."

Malik glared daggers at his grinning yami.

Shutting the door with a concerned expression, she sat down across the table from her colluege.

"Who were you talking to on the phone?" Isis began, sipping her own mug.

"…Samuel."

"Really? What made you so angry?"

"…" She took a deep breath before looking into Isis's eyes. "He didn't want me to tell you right now, but instead at your party. I thought it was wrong, because I thought parties were supposed to be happy. I didn't want to put you into a predicament with so many guests over, and on top of it all… I'm you're friend, not some little betraying-"

"What's going on?" The Egyptian interrupted, slightly frustrated.

"…Isis… this isn't very easy to say, especially since I've known you so long…"

"Just say it, Sapna-chan; it couldn't possibly be that hard..."

"…trust me, it is."

"Well, I'm ready."

"No… no one was ready for this. Not even me…"

"Well??" Isis urged on, staring at the woman.

"Isis… Samuel took your job on Tuesday…"

"What?" She was speechless, wondering whether or not this was some sick joke. Her heart sank to the floor when Sapna's grave expression never changed. "What do you mean, he 'took my job'?"

"Some papers were missing and he's been very friendly with the president and all, it didn't make sense to me, but he blamed you. I went up there personally yesterday to see what really was going on… but Samuel put the blame on you! I asked how that could have happened when you've been on leave since Friday. But the president ended up saying that he didn't want irresponsible people on the job, when it was Samuel who lost the documents and-"

"What documents? What papers were missing?" Isis snapped uncharacteristically.

"Trade agreements and border treaties, the most important things…"

"But, why would Samuel misplace those things? I asked him to take them to the president for the final signature and make sure everything was alright…"

"I know, and he blamed you! I'm sorry I couldn't do anything else… the president was so rigid yesterday…"

"…" Isis tore her emerald eyes away from the crimson ones across from her. A new house, and new taxes to pay, what was she going to do? "It doesn't make sense…"

"I know, Samuel was probably after your job for the longest, and now he's got it. It's strange though… how someone can become an ambassador so easily. I know there's a longer process than that, after all, I'm one too…"

"No, something definitely isn't right, you're right…" Isis finally looked back up. "Do you think Samuel is the one to blame here?"

"Most definitely, I thought he was up to something the week of your leave. He was always with the president and always asked to see papers of mine. I of course didn't let him, India's papers are none of his business. But then he'd get angry and storm off."

"What am I going to do?" She whispered to herself. New house meant new bills; and without an income, how was she going to manage?