Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Devotion ❯ Protection ( Chapter 28 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-gi-oh, Mokuba would get to kick ass!

Why I despise people who claim writer's block as an excuse for not updating: I always have writer's block. Deal. Just do it.

And this is dedicated to moonymonster, Rockman fandom Reviewer Nazi and my hallmate. And #1 Mokuba fan.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

I'm not afraid.

Pegasus trapped me here in the dark, but I'm not afraid.

Nii-sama came. My big brother came for me. He… I lost him to Gozaburo. I tried to be strong, win his respect at Death-T, and he Penalty Gamed me.

But then the other Yugi gave him the opportunity to repair himself.

And he has. He came. He came to rescue me.

I was trying to help him, look after the company while he was gone. I kept the keycard safe, I tried to duel Yugi even though the previous times I challenged him turned out horribly, I knew the fake wasn't him.

I escaped. Too bad I got recaptured.

I don't blame the other Yugi, I don't. He destroyed the fake who tried to tell me my brother was dead, didn't care about me. It's not his fault he didn't hear the millisecond I managed to scream as the chloroform drugged me.

I waited. I remembered, locked in that dungeon. And my brother came, as he had before.

I was so happy! Even though I got locked in here a second later, my old brother was finally back!

Of course, it was sad being separated from him right away, and it's a little… who am I kidding, very scary here, and I was a crybaby at first, but…

I've got my brother back. Everything's going to be okay. He'll rescue me, I know he will.

I'll just keep telling myself that. It makes it not so bad to be here.

Wha… what is this window?

Yugi? Why are here? But could you help me out? I know you have helped me and my brother out a lot, and we've just been mean to you, but you promised! You promised you'd defeat Pegasus with me!

No, that was the other you. This is the you that had no idea what to do when my cronies grabbed you and I challenged you to Capsule Monster Chess.

Are you two sorta like Seto and me?

And I look around while you talk to your Grandpa, it was bad what Nii-sama did to him at Death-T, and…

Oh no.

NII-SAMA!

He looks so… dead. Hurting.

And he sees me and smiles, he's happy I'm here but he's trying to pretend he's okay, but he's not okay. Something's hurting him really bad. REALLY bad.

I try to get through the window, get to him, he's helped me so many times, he needs my help now, but I can't get to him!

Just like I couldn't get through to him during the preparations for Death-T, all I could do was play along, try to defeat Yugi so he didn't have to really do it, try to win back my brother. Or at least his respect.

And he's hurting, like what that bastard Gozaburo did to him, and I start crying. I should, I should pretend that everything's all right because now he's feeling worse that I'm sad, but I can't, I can't pretend anymore!

But I'm also crying because I'm happy to see him, he was right there when Pegasus did this to me, and it's been too long, I was wondering if he…

Don't think about things.

And all of a sudden the force holding us here seems to leave, and we both scream.

And it returns, and my brother's fine, and I just can't stop crying.

He's hurting. He's really hurting. Pegasus is doing something to him. He's hurting because he wanted to help me.

Just like Gozaburo hurt him, because Nii-sama challenged him to get me a home.

And I see his face and he's blaming himself for me being here, and I laugh and laugh until I recover and am just crying, not so hysterical I can't breathe. Not that there is air to breathe… wherever we are.

And my brother's got that expression he gets when he wants something, whatever the cost, and the other Yugi appears.

He's sad. He's sad for Nii-sama.

But he makes Nii-sama collapse. And Nii-sama looks happy, but I don't notice, I try to break through the window to get to him but I can't, I can't reach him, and I feel arms encircle me but it's not Nii-sama.

It's the other Yugi and he says Nii-sama is all right and I know I can trust him, and Nii-sama looks happy so I go back to the window and try to be there so Nii-sama will know I'm fine.

And the other Yugi leaves, and everything is fine for a bit. Nii-sama is still here. He knows I'm here, I know it. And he's sleeping peacefully without nightmares like he hasn't since forever.

But then I hear a laugh.

Pegasus.

And Nii-sama wakes up. And he looks so lost, so afraid and guilty and weak and and…

And I yell at Pegasus and he laughs until I see my brother gesturing at me to be quiet. He's afraid for me. Afraid Pegasus will do to me whatever he's doing to him.

But I want to share your pain! You always take on the burden yourself, reject me when I try to help. I know you want to protect me, but it hurts me that you just see me as someone to protect, as a burden.

But that's what you need me to be.

You don't know anymore, what it's like to be a normal person. All your life, since I was born anyways, you've lived for me. Except when you were mad.

And now I can see in your eyes that you've gone back to the way you were before. Or are trying to. I am the proof you didn't fail.

I'm the only one who can show you your sacrifices weren't in vain. I'm the one who's not supposed to know hate or fear.

But I hate and fear for you. You failed, in that.

You can't protect me from everything, Nii-sama. But I'm going to protect you from knowing that. I always have.

And so I wipe away my tears, and smile, and show you how happy I am that you're here.

When I wish you were far away from here.

Safe.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Um… sweatdrop. This series was originally supposed to be subtle Y/Y… but all the YGO characters are so cool… look on my bio for future chapters.

I write so much to have it turn out good. But thanks for saying it is.