Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Enemies ❯ New Teacher, New Student ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is a seriously Alternate History story, taking place just before the Battle City arc. I was having fun while housesitting. J I made a couple changes - Bakura has the Ring and his yami, who co-operates with him…sort of. The others all know about this as well.

As per usual, I'm using the Japanese names. (Which are given surname first)

Mazaki Anzu= Tea Gardner

Jonouchi Katsuya= Joey Wheeler

Bakura Ryou = Ryou Bakura

Honda Hiroto= Tristan Taylor

Kaiba Seto = Seto Kaiba

Motou Yugi = Yugi Motou

Japanese Terms

Mou Hitori no Boku = My Other Self. Yugi's name for his dark side

Mou Yami no Boku = My Dark Self. Bakura's name for Yami Bakura

Aibou = Partner. What Yami Yugi calls Yugi 90% of the time

Mou Hitori no Yugi = The Other Yugi. What his friends call Yami Yugi sometimes. They tend to call them both Yugi as well…

Mou Hitori no Bakura = When the group calls Yami Bakura anything, it tends to be this.

Yadoushi: Landlord or host. What Yami Bakura calls Bakura.

Jii-chan: Grandfather

Kaa-chan: Mother

-san = Sort of like Mr or Mrs.

-sama = Respectful honorific for those of higher status than the speaker

-dono = Very respectful (and quite old-fashioned) term for someone of higher status than the speaker.

-sensei = Teacher or master. Honorific given to anyone who is considered a 'master' of their art. Also used for anyone who is a teacher, in school and out.

Kuso, shitte - Curse words. Yami Bakura and Jounouchi tend to swear a lot.

Other Notes

:mental speech:

<private thoughts>

If you look at the Eye on the Puzzle and the Eye on the Ring, you'll notice some differences. I don't know how accurate it is, but for my purposes I am calling the Eye on the Puzzle the Right Eye of Horus (aka the sun) and the Eye on the Ring the Left Eye of Horus (aka the moon). If it's just the Eye without any ornamentation then I'm calling it the Eye of Wisdom. (aka the Eye that appears on Yami Yugi and Yami Marik's foreheads.)

DISCLAIMER: I don't own anyone in this story you recognize by name or even a vague description. They are all the property of Takahashi-sensei. Anyone you don't recognize is my Original Character, so please don't use them without my permission, okitay? Arigato.

The plot is mine as well, but one scene is adapted from the Japanese version of the anime.

_________________________________________________________________ ________________

Chapter 1 - A New Teacher, A New Student and A New Problem

Yugi walked into the classroom, yawning hugely. He and his other had been up late helping Jii-chan with a new shipment, which meant they hadn't gotten as much sleep as they'd wanted. The usual chattering, busy crowd of students filled the classroom; he slipped through them with the ease of long practise to his seat, giving a nod to Hanasaki and a grin in the direction of Honda and Jounouchi, who looked well on their way to getting another swat from Anzu.

Bakura slipped in at the last minute, just before the bell rang. Yugi glanced at the white-haired teen with a slight frown - Bakura was legendary for his punctuality. So being even that close to late was a surprise - he resolved to ask the other about it during lunch.

He rose with the rest of his classmates as a short American woman dressed in a business suit entered the room. Yugi blinked in surprise…what had happened to Nitoro-sensei, their English teacher?

"Good morning." she said in perfect Tokyo Japanese. "My name is Mitzra Ariel. I will be your English teacher for the remainder of the semester." She placed her briefcase down on the desk before acknowledging their bow. The class sat down as she half-sat on the corner of her desk, holding the a piece of paper in her hand as she began to call the roll. Yugi glanced over at Jounouchi, who was giving…studious attention to their new teacher. He smiled slightly, turning his attention back to the front.

<She is a good looking woman.> Only four inches taller than his own 5' 2", with blonde hair and hazel eyes. Surely no older than thirty, she was very slender and petite, the nubbed silk cloth of her pale blue business suit clinging to every curve. His smile grew slightly. Well, she certainly wouldn't be hard to pay attention to!

And she knew Japanese as well as English, which put her one up on a couple of his past foreign teachers.

"Motou Yugi." she called. Yugi raised his hand in a silent 'here'. She glanced over at him, meeting his gaze with her own.

A chill ran over him - he shivered. His other roused, looking for the source of danger.

:Aibou?:

:It's nothing, mou hitori no boku. Just a new teacher.:

He felt Yami Yugi looking through his eyes. :That was not nothing, aibou. It felt like Pegasus…a probe into our thoughts.: He paused. :There is something strange about her, aibou. She feels…different.:

Yugi tensed. His other self was much more sensitive than he…and if he sensed something, then Yugi'd be smart to watch his back.

"Now." She switched to English, taking him by surprise and forcing him to concentrate on what she was saying. "I should tell you a little about myself.

"I am from the city of Montreal, the province of Quebec. In Canada."

<So she's not American.> Yugi thought as he noted all of this down carefully.

"I have been teaching for 10 years, and have only recently come to Japan through a cultural exchange ESL program…"

Yugi remained on edge until the end of class, when she moved to the next room. He only paid half-attention to his calculus lesson - his other was much better at math anyway. When the lunch bell rang he jerked back to full awareness.

Of course, the topic of discussion during the break was the new teacher.

"She's not bad looking." Jounouchi grinned. Honda snorted.

"She's probably taken, gay or both - and besides, since when do you make eyes at the teacher?"

Bakura glanced at Yugi as Jounouchi jumped Honda, putting him in a headlock. Catching the unspoken signal, he nodded. The two slipped off to a corner of the class where they could talk in private.

"What is it?" Yugi asked quietly.

"I sensed something from the English teacher. There was something…wrong about her." the other replied in his soft voice. Yugi nodded, encouraging him to continue. Bakura glanced over at the tussle between Honda and Jounouchi, his blue eyes not seeing them. "Mou…yami no boku said she was 'reading' us, but that was all he would tell me."

"I sensed something too." Bakura turned his gaze back towards Yugi at the shorter teen's comment. "I think we should keep an eye on her - she might be after the Items." Yugi laughed a little, bitterly. "She certainly wouldn't be the first."

…………………… …………

The walk home from school offered more insights, this time from Jounouchi and Honda. "There is something spooky about Mitzra-sensei." Jounouchi offered. Away from the peer pressure of the other students, he felt safe being candid with his friends. "She seemed to be looking right through me." He shook his head. "It was freaky."

"Yeah." Honda, being more laconic, didn't say anything more - but he didn't have to. A look at the worried face of his friend told Yugi that Honda was more than a little scared.

:Sounds like I am not the only one concerned, aibou. There is no telling if she is working for someone, or is herself a danger; she may also bear yet another Millennium Item.: Yami Yugi paced restlessly in the confines of his Soul Room, his uncertainty translating into frustration. :It would be wise to keep our minds and options open at this point.:

"Mou yami no boku has an idea." Bakura's quiet voice broke into the silence. "He was thinking - if this does involve another Millennium Item, then perhaps the Ring would be able to detect it."

Yugi looked up as the spirit form of his other appeared beside him, visible only in his eyes. Yami Yugi didn't look pleased - his lips had pursed so that it looked as though he had bitten into a lemon - but he nodded. Yugi did as well, smiling at Bakura who returned the expression shyly before his eyes narrowed and his hair suddenly grew wilder. The differences were subtle, much less pronounced than when Yami Yugi took over his aibou's body - the self-proclaimed Stealer of Souls being a much better actor than the Spirit of the Puzzle, much as said spirit hated to admit it. Nonetheless, to someone who knew what he was looking for, the signs were obvious.

Yami Bakura wordlessly held his hands in front of his chest, palms facing each other, calling the Millennium Ring to life. Everyone except Yugi took a step back - the memory of the RPG Yami-no-Game they had played was still a little too fresh in their minds to fully trust the dark spirit.

Without so much as glancing at anyone, Yami Bakura concentrated on the power of the Ring - as he did, the Left Eye of Horus on the central triangle flared to life and the prongs hanging from the ring glowed. Slowly two of them lifted, pointing to the right - towards the ocean. "Off to the East - quite a ways, actually." Yami Bakura said at last. "But there is definitely a Millennium Item coming to Domino City - in fact, I think there might even be two."

"Two?" Yugi glanced at the others. "Can you tell what they are and who might be carrying them?"

"Do I look like I possess the Eye?" Yami Bakura snorted. "I can't tell. All I know is that the feeling is split a little - like there are multiple sources out there."

:It would have to be the Rod and the Tauk, aibou.: Yami Yugi said slowly. :There are only seven, and the others are accounted for.:

:Mou hitori no boku…how did you know that?:

:I…I'm not sure, aibou. It just came to me.:

Yami Bakura gave Yugi a strange glare before returning control to his light half. "Well, we know they're coming." Bakura smiled.

"Yeah." Jounouchi grinned at his friends. "And we'll be waiting."

……………………&hellip ;……….................................................. ........................

Yugi adjusted the rather large chain that now held his Millennium Puzzle nervously. "Are you sure this is a good idea, mou hitori no boku? I mean, isn't it just a little…gaudy?"

:Of course not, aibou: Yami Yugi answered comfortably. :It looks good on you. In fact, I think you should wear a bracelet or something with it.:

Warmth rose in Yugi's cheeks. "Are you teasing me?" he demanded.

:Of course not.: Yugi glanced up at his other's spirit form - Yami Yugi sported a suspiciously innocent look. :But I think that you could easily catch Anzu's eye if you dressed a little less conservatively.: The spirit pretended to think a moment. :Let's see - some black leather pants, maybe a silk shirt - dark lavender, to match your eyes - and anything other than those running shoes you're so fond of.: A wide smirk broke on his features and his violet eyes glimmered with mirth. :Trust me, aibou. A little work and you'll have Anzu panting after you.:

Yugi squirmed, sure he was blushing like a sunset. "Mou hitori no boku! Stop it!"

Yami Yugi laughed. Yugi sighed and shook his head, still trying to get the blood from his cheeks.

Footsteps in the hall made the boys look up. Yami Yugi vanished into the puzzle as the sounds stopped outside Yugi's room.

"Yugi-chan!" His mother's voice echoed from the hall outside his room, and a second later she knocked once and entered. "Who were you talking to?"

"No one, Kaa-chan." Yugi pulled his school jacket on and grabbed his backpack. "Just talking to myself."

"Alright, dear, but you had better get going. Anzu-chan is waiting."

Yugi nodded, dashing past her to the stairs.

:Aibou?:

The teen paused at the top of the landing. :Yes, mou hotori no boku?:

:Have…fun…with Anzu.: The overtones that came with the statement were rather suggestive.

Yugi felt himself blush brilliantly. He stamped his foot and snapped "I thought I told you to stop teasing me!"

By the time he reached the back door, he had managed to get his blush under control, but he could still feel his other silently laughing at him. He greeted Jii-chan and Anzu absently, still thinking even as he began his walk to school with his oldest friend.

The banter that morning couldn't hide the tension he felt from his other. The two had grown closer since their first official 'meeting' at Duelist Kingdom; Yugi could tell that his dark side had more on his mind than fashion when he suggested that Yugi find a chain for the Millennium Puzzle. Unspoken but palpable feelings surrounded the idea of Yugi losing contact with the Puzzle - as though mou hitori no boku feared that more than anything. Yugi shook his head - he had a hard time imagining his other being afraid period.

Nearly three weeks had passed since Yami Bakura had told them that more Millennium Items and their bearer - or bearers, more likely, since he'd never seen anyone except Shadi with more than one item - were coming to Domino City. An unspoken tension still sang in the air as the group waited for something, and hoped they recognized it when it arrived. That tension rose every English lesson, despite the fact that Miztra-sensei hadn't done anything untoward.

"Yugi?" Anzu asked almost shyly, breaking into his thoughts. "Are you alright?"

"Sorry, Anzu." Yugi smiled up at her. "What were you saying?"

"Were you talking to mou hitori no Yugi?"

"No." Yugi sighed to himself. He knew she liked his other more than she liked him, but that didn't make it any easier to bear. How the heck did you compete with someone who was the other side of your own soul?

:Aibou.: his yami whispered. :I would never take Anzu away from you. I swear it.:

:You might not have a say in the matter, mou hitori no boku.: Yugi sighed. He smiled up at Anzu again. "I guess we'd better hurry if we don't want to be late for school."

"Yeah." Anzu quickened her pace. Yugi hung back for a moment, admiring her long, slender dancer's figure before running to catch up.

……………………&hel lip;………........................................

The figure moved in darkness, eyes narrowed as it watched the teenagers as they walked down the street towards the school.

Soon. They would strike soon…

…………………&he llip;…………...................................... .

The classroom was already nearly full when they arrived. Yugi took his seat, trying not to let his own morbid thoughts overcome him. He could feel his other's worry, which didn't help.

Mitzra-sensei entered the room a few seconds before the bell rang, trailed by a young man Yugi had never seen before.

"Class, this is Marik Ishtar, from Egypt." she announced. "He will be staying in Japan for the next six months."

The white-blonde, tanned teenager smiled, flashing even white teeth, and three-quarters of the girls in the class sighed. Exotic lavender eyes observed them from under his messy bangs. Gold dangled from his ears; a wide gold collar peeked out from under the shirt of his school uniform, the jacket of which he wore half-buttoned up. Instead of runners, he wore black dress shoes.

"Ishtar-san, please take a seat."

Immediately a commotion arose as all the girls tried to make sure that a seat next to them was available. Jounouchi grinned at Bakura.

"Looks like you might have some competition."

The white-haired teen smiled gently. "I don't mind. All that chattering gets a little wearing sometimes."

Mitzra-sensei ran a cold eye over the class and they settled immediately. In the last three weeks she had proven to be a harsh, but almost aggressively fair teacher, who brooked no nonsense from any of her students. She turned to the board and began to write the weekly vocabulary list while the student got out their notebooks. Yugi only paid half-attention to the lesson - something in the air was twanging on his nerves, almost seeming to hum. The sensation wasn't painful, but rather irritating.

:I sense Shadow Magic, Yugi.: his other spoke up suddenly. :Very close.:

:Is that what I'm feeling?:

:Yes. There must be another Millennium Item nearby.:

Yugi looked over at Marik, who seemed engrossed in the lesson. Could he…

"Bakura-san!" All eyes turned to Mitzra-sensei, who was standing next to Bakura's desk. Yugi could see that his friend was sweating, paler than normal, his hands in white-knuckled fists on his desk. He looked as though he was fighting an internal battle against his yami. Sharp brown eyes observed the teen for a moment before the teacher spoke in a much softer tone. "Bakura-san, are you alright?"

"H…hai, sensei." Bakura managed. "I'm fine."

She gently lifted his chin and looked into his blue eyes for a long moment before giving an almost infinitesimal nod. Bakura abruptly relaxed, panting for air. Yugi frowned - his other looked through his eyes; Yugi could feel his shock. The humming in the air dropping away to nothing as Bakura stared at Mitzra-sensei's retreating back. The look on his face - terror mixed in equal parts with shock and dismay. He swallowed, picking up his pen and trying to look as nothing had happened.

:What was that all about?: Yugi asked his other even as he tore his gaze away from Bakura and back to their teacher.

:I have no idea, aibou.: Yami Yugi frowned. :I think - I felt a surge of strange power as she looked at Bakura. Whatever it was, I know it wasn't Shadow Magic.:

<Then where did the Shadow Magic come from?> Yugi wondered, his gaze falling on Marik again. He'd been here as well, but if it was him then why was it gone? Nothing made sense.

:We don't have enough information, aibou.: his darkness noted quietly. :We must speak with Bakura and his yami as soon as possible.:

:Agreed.:

The bell rang, dismissing the class. Yugi rose and bowed with the others, trying to get his nervousness under control. He followed Bakura as the white-haired teen ran for the bathroom.

When they reached the confines of the tiled room, Yugi walked carefully up behind him. "Are you okay?"

"I…don't know what exactly happened." Bakura's voice rose no higher than a shaky whisper. "When we came in the room, mou yami no boku sense another Millennium Item. He tried to take over - I couldn't let him make a scene right there in class. I guess that's why I didn't hear Mitzra-sensei. When she looked into my eyes… something threw Yami Bakura back into his soul room and locked the door. He… I…"

"I didn't…is that even possible?" Yugi asked in shock.

:Evidently, aibou.: Yami Yugi emerged in his soul form, watching Bakura oddly. :Ask him if Yami Bakura can even get out of his soul room now.:

When Yugi relayed the message, Bakura shook his head. Slow tears dripped down his cheeks. "It feels…strange. I can sense him - he's very angry - but I can't actually hear him anymore. I also think…he's scared, and so am I."

:May I take over, aibou?:

:Of course.: With a small surge of light from the Puzzle, Yami Yugi came to the fore and Yugi retreated to his soul room.

"Bakura." Yami Yugi murmured, his altered voice soft. "This is very important. I don't know exactly what happened, but I think I can release mou hitori no Bakura from his imprisonment…if you wish me to."

<I hope he doesn't…> Yami Yugi thought, watching the other teen. <But I know that he will - I learned my lesson last time.> Banishing Yami Bakura to the Graveyard didn't work, and his Ring returned to Bakura as soon as Honda threw it away. The bond between darkness and light was inexplicable and nearly unbreakable. Besides, while Yami Bakura might be an evil, sadistic thief, he was also Bakura's protector.

"Please." Bakura looked up at him and Yami Yugi nodded. Those blue eyes were so lost…

With a sigh he closed his eyes, calling his Shadow Power, the ability to affect minds and souls. Seeking, calling…

<There…> The Eye of Wisdom appeared on his forehead, sensing the pulsing, pale blue light of Bakura's soul. Delving deeper, he found himself staring at a sealed door marked with the Left Eye of Horus. A rippling curtain of crystal clear magic stood between him and the door - to his Eye it was marked with a strange, swirling starburst. He noted the sign even as he raised his hand and blasted the curtain with his power. It gave strangely, swirling with agitation. Yami Yugi felt an answering surge of Shadow Power from the other side of the door and linked to it, his dark golden aura merging with the dark blue of Yami Bakura as they blasted the shield to pieces - before Yami Yugi could study the magic further it vanished, gone as if it had never existed.

He opened his eyes in the corporeal world to find Yami Bakura had taken over the body and was staring at him. A wave of fatigue washed through him - whatever had made that shield had been strong.

"Thanks." Yami Bakura said at last, a little sullenly. He too sounded drained.

"You're welcome." Yami Yugi pushed back the tiredness, fighting to stay on his feet. "Just doing what your aibou wished."

"Yadoushi. He's my host, not my partner, baka."

A sudden surge of Shadow Magic caught them both off guard. The air rippled - a vortex opened, disgorging five men in long, royal purple robes. Each bore the Eye of Wisdom on their hoods and automatic rifles in their hands.

"Freeze." the lead man snapped before either of the spirits could react. "Don't move or we will fire."

"What do you want, bakayarou?" Yami Bakura growled.

"The Millennium Items. Hand them over and you can live."

Yami Yugi could feel waves of panic rising from his aibou - he send a feeling of reassurance. His fatigue vanished under a surge of adrenaline.

"No." Yami Bakura stated flatly. "Now leave…before I decide to destroy you all."

It was a bluff. If he felt like Yami Yugi did, he couldn't summon a Kuriboh.

:Mou hitori no boku! Link with me - you can use my strength.: Yugi's spirit was suddenly there, bolstering his power.

"You will have to duel me in a Game of Darkness if you wish to take my Puzzle." Yami Yugi's voice rang with utter confidence.

"Hmm. I don't think so, Pharaoh." The man's voice changed strangely, as though he spoke down a long tube. A golden Eye began to glow on his forehead.

Yami Yugi exchanged a look with Yami Bakura as they both felt the surge of magic.

"Someone's controlling him." the soul-stealer growled. "I could break the connection, but…"

Holding up a hand, Yami Yugi stared at the man. "Who are you?" he demanded. "Show yourself, coward."

Laughter rang from the man's lips. "I am the leader of the Ghouls…and like you, I hold the power of a Millennium Item. Now hand over your Items…or I will order my mind-slaves to kill you."

Then men raised their guns with clear intent. Yami Yugi's mouth went dry - the Puzzle should protect his aibou's body - but would the Ring do the same for Bakura? He reached with his power into the Shadow Realm, praying that he would be quick enough.

Without warning the leader jerked as though shot. The Eye vanished and he dropped, followed quickly by his compatriots. Two very surprised spirits stared at the person now revealed behind the prone forms of their attackers.

Dressed in black silk from head to foot, the figure was not very tall nor very short. Any clues - including age and gender - were lost behind the concealing folds of cloth.

"Who the hell are you?" Yami Bakura demanded, evidently coming to the end of his very limited patience.

"A more important question might be…" the figure spoke in a dry, androgynous voice. Crystal-clear eyes - the only feature to be seen - locked with Yami Yugi's. "…who would be willing to pay me a half-billion dollars to kill you?"