Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Everybody Hates Leon ❯ Meet the von Schroeders! ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3

Author's Notes: Thank you, all one of my reviewers so far! *bows* :P. Anyway...starting with this chapter, I'll use Zigfried's name more to clear up any confusion that people have about who is who. The narrator is a twentysomething American woman who was certified as a nanny weeks before she was hired. I'll be slowly revealing more about her as the story goes on. The kid is Zigfried.
This chapter probably won't be as good as the first two. It's really just killing time until the all-mighty Chapter Four, where Leon will make his debut.


I learned a lot of things over the next three months. I learned to always put on makeup and wear nice clothes when out with Zigfried. He loved hamming it up for the crowd of photographers that was always following him, and I would almost invariably end up in the pictures.

I learned that Zigfried was a spoiled brat prone to tantrums when he didn't get what he wanted. Obviously, I had my work cut out for me.

I learned to get by on not much sleep. Frau von Schroeder seemed to think that 2 a.m. was a perfect time to summon me to her room and treat me to one of her rants. She was always in an especially bad mood after a doctor visit because the baby always got a clean bill of health.

Herr von Schroeder on the other hand, liked saving his ranting and lectures for the dinner hour. Often, these were very confusing. Here is one example:

"Zigfried, eat your food! Don't you want to enjoy food like the German you are?"
When Zigfried answered in German, Herr von Schroeder shouted, "How many times do I have to
tell you, speak in English!"

And THAT was on a good day.


I learned that the servants were not stupid and had guessed more about Frau von Schroeder's "condition" than they had originally let on.

I learned every combination of curse words possible in the German language. Most of these were shouted after me as I hurried out of Frau von Schroeder's room. Zigfried was already developing a "colorful" vocabulary of his own.

I learned not to touch the rosebushes OR ELSE.

I learned that Frau von Schroeder's doctor always carried earplugs and a bottle of aspirin whan he visited the mansion.

I learned that, according to Herr von Schroeder, those East German communists were to blame for everything and anything that went wrong, including burned spots on food.

I learned to not mention Japan in front of Herr von Schroeder. I learned to not mention America in front of Herr von Schroeder. I learned to not mention any country in front of Herr von Schroeder.

I learned how to convert the metric system into American units without using a calculator.

I learned that the von Schroeders loved animals and had seven cats, two lapdogs, four regular dogs, eight horses, and one large tank of exotic fish (but no partridge in a pear tree).

But maybe the most important thing I didn't so much learn as I did infer. It seemed to me that if something didn't happen for the better, someone would get hurt in the near future.