Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Everybody Hates Leon ❯ Kaiba Land USA! ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Still don’t own YGO.

A/N: I personally like it when people give reasons for doing odd things. Therefore, I present my official List of Reasons why I haven’t updated in a while.

1. College, of course.

2. Lack of reviews. I don’t want to be a review hog, but it gets a tiny bit depressing just writing for two or three loyal reviewers.

3. The original Yu Gi Oh has been over for months, and I’m starting to forget stuff. Also, I’m into GX a lot more.

4. I realized I mixed up aspects of the original show and the dub in here.

5. Timeline issues. According to GX, the original YGO took place around 1996. And as you know, this one does not. Maybe I’ll just make this slightly AU, but it’s difficult writing this when it’s set at the wrong time.

And those are the big reasons. I probably have some smaller ones, but I can’t remember them right now.

But I PROMISED, DARN IT! I feel like I WILL finish this fic, even if it takes ten years! Maybe I’ll just make the chapters longer, so it won’t take as many chapters to finish.

Sorry about the long note, but it had to be said. Now here’s the fic!



Weeks passed, and then months. I heard no more about these secret plans.

In fact, I was hardly hearing anything from Leon at all. He had more or less moved out of our apartment, and into some other room in the mansion. I wasn’t sure exactly where.

I sent a lot of notes to Zigfried complaining about this, but he never saw fit to reply. I saw him even less than I did Leon. He never appeared at dinner, which was usually the only time I had contact with Leon.

Life had practically slowed to a halt. But just as everything was about to become completely stagnant, events started to happen at a breakneck speed.

May 2002

One day, I was out in the garden, tending to a flowerbed I had just plotted this year. I needed something to do now that Leon wasn’t my charge anymore.
At first I thought I was hallucinating when I saw Leon running towards me in the distance. Similar things had happened. Some mornings, I had Leon’s breakfast all ready for him before I remembered that he wouldn’t be there to eat it.

However, this seemed to finally be real. He had finally made it to where I was.

For a second, I was worried about how I looked. I was covered in sweat, and I had more than one smudge of dirt on my face.

But Leon didn’t seem to care. For the first time in months, he was smiling at me!

“I missed you, Mo...I mean Melissa.” he said.

Tut tut. He was now almost thirteen and still forgot that I wasn’t his mother!

But really, I didn’t care in the least. The old Leon was back, even if just for a little while!



For several minutes, we just sat together silently. Leon was looking at all the different kinds of flowers I had planted.

Leon had apparently been going through a growth spurt, because he was now a full inch taller than me (even if I was a petite person), and I could swear his voice was starting to crack.

I noticed the latter thing when Leon finally began speaking.

“I came here to tell you that the plans have been finalized. We’re flying to California tomorrow. Zigfried will take his private jet, but we’ll be flying on a regular plane.”

I thought it odd that Zigfried would want to be apart from Leon after keeping him away from me for so long.

Leon sure seemed to be happy about the plans, though.

“I’ve never been to California, Melissa! Have you been? Is it fun? Well, even if it isn’t fun, I’ll get to be in the tournament and play in the theme parks and...”

I interrupted, perhaps a bit sharply, by saying, “Hold on a minute! What tournament? Why hasn’t anyone told me about this?”

Leon assured me that Zigfried had arranged everything. I was apparently just coming along because Leon had convinced Zigfried to allow it.

Well, in any case, I could use a vacation.


The rest of the day was spent packing and finalizing plans.

I didn’t see Leon again until the next morning. He was as excited as he was the previous day.

Zigfried had disappeared to who-knows-where, so Leon and I went to the airport alone.

Leon’s enthusiasm didn’t waver a bit. Throughout the picking up of tickets, the walks through the weapon detection lines, and the stint in the waiting area, he talked my ear half off about just how exciting this was.

He spent most of the flight over to America reading various guidebooks and pointing out various locations of interest to me.



We transferred flights in New York.

If we didn’t have another plane to catch, I’m pretty sure Leon would have been happy to have his vacation here.

He couldn’t stop looking at all the different stores and people crowding Kennedy Airport.

But we didn’t have long to look at all this, and soon we were on our way to San Francisco.

We were not met at the airport by Zigfried, as I had been expecting. Instead, an American who appeared to be a bodyguard of some sort showed us to a taxi.

Leon had finally run out of things to say, and was content to just look out the car window.

Our destination was obviously that group of theme parks Leon had mentioned on our way over here.

The sign read, “Kaiba Land USA”.

I was pretty sure that Kaiba was the surname of one of Zigfried’s rivals. Could Zigfried be using Leon to infiltrate the park and find out its secrets?

Somehow, I doubted it. Zigfried did not seem to be the type of person to build an amusement park.

But before I could ponder it further, Leon suddenly poked me in the arm.
“Do you see that girl?” He whispered urgently.

I looked where Leon told me to, but I saw nothing out of the ordinary.

I told Leon this, and he looked again. He said in a very disappointed voice that she had just been there a second ago; he was sure of it!

And it may have been my imagination, but Leon’s face looked slightly flushed.

Was this what I thought it was? If so, Leon really WAS growing up!

Fortunately for Leon, he ran into a group of boys his age. I let Leon go hang out with them as long as he promised to meet me in this spot by dinner time.

When Leon ran off, I didn’t have much to do, so I just sat on a bench eating ice cream and looking at all the other kids having fun.

A/N: Finally! The Grand Prix is upon us!

In case you didn’t know, this is the first day, when the computer malfunctions and shuts everyone in that building. I’ll definitely have to brush up on the series of events.

Well, at any rate, Leon is sure going to have a lot to tell Melissa when they meet up again!