Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Family Secrets ❯ A Very Bad Day ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Alright, everybody, listen up. From here on in, things are going to start to get confusing. Just stick with it, and it’ll all be resolved in due time (or in other words, when I want to understand everything). Here’s chapter five, the beginning of the second part to this story.

A quick recap:

Sugoroku, Anzu, and Mokuba are dead. Yugi is unconscience and mute. Noa lives in Mokuba’s computer. Seto knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of any of this. Last chapter, we were introduced to the Death Eaters, also known as the introduction of Harry Potter and this story. Oh! I almost forgot. Jounouchi and Honda live in Tokyo, so that’s why they didn’t protect Yugi from the bullies, if you were wondering. I had it planned from the start, but i forgot to mention it until last chapter! ^-^! Please don’t hurt me!

Also, a great big thanks to all those who reviewed!

Key:

“Speech”

Thought

“Phone conversation”

Disclaimer: Sugarpony does not own Yugioh! or Harry Potter. Go sue someone else.

---

Family Secrets


Chapter Five


A Very Bad Day


---

Kaiba Seto sat silently as his limo drove towards the Kame Game shop. A small, wrapped, package- a birthday present for a friend- lain next to him on the seat. Once the car had arrived at its destination, Seto picked up the gift and stepped outside. He walked into the little store without knocking, not knowing what lain in store for him within.

Before he had even taken two steps inside, he stopped dead in his tracks. He tossed the package aside and ran to the body on the floor.

He quickly kneeled down beside his friend and took his pulse. After ascertaining that he had a steady heartbeat, he called an ambulance right away. Next, he ascended the staircase, dreading what awaited him above.

He had a right to dread. Two bodies were strewn across the floor; one was the annoying Mazaki Anzu; the other was Muoto Sugoroku, Yugi’s grandfather. Both were dead.

Seto laid the pair into a peaceful position, closed their eyes, and went back downstairs to wait for the medics to arrive.

Before long, sirens filled the air. Five men raced through the door. Two of them prepped Yugi for the ambulance, while Seto guided the others to the cadavers upstairs.

In less than five minutes, all three victims had been whisked away from the game shop and were on their way to the Domino City Hospital.

Before he could so much as move, however, the businessman’s cell phone rang. This had better be important, he thought, growling, as he answered the phone.

“Kaiba-sama!” His butler’s voice greeted him.

“What is it?” he asked impatiently.

“Kaiba-sama, it’s Mokuba-sama!”

Seto immediately paid more attention to the old man’s voice. “What about Mokuba?”

“Mokuba-sama.... He’s... he’s dead, sir!”

Seto didn’t even register the phone slipping from his hand or the sound of it clattering to the ground.

He raced to his awaiting car outside and headed towards the hospital.

---

Doctor Hibiki Ulen heaved a sigh. As head of staff at the Domino City Hospital, today was a very bad day. He had to deal with three stiffs (One of which, he added sourly, is the younger brother of the largest benefactor of this hospital.) and an assault case which had ended in a broken arm and partial paralysis.

No sooner than he had thought this, said brother and benefactor marched through the front doors in a frenzy.

Doctor Hibiki sighed once again.

Yes, today was a very, very bad day.

He set his coffee on the counter and turned to the swiftly approaching Kaiba.

“Where is he?” The doctor was raised off the ground by the collar as the boy fretted about.

“I’m sorry, Kaiba-san,” Hibiki said. “Mokuba was already dead when the paramedics arrived. There was nothing we could do.”

“I want to see him.”

There was a short pause before Hibiki answered. “Very well.”

And he led him down the hall.

---

Darkness. That was all he could see.

Where am I? Where’s Yami?

Not here, the Darkness seemed to say. You’re all alone, little Yugi.

No! No, I’m not! Yami would never leave me alone! And Jii-san, and Anzu-

But they did, Yugi,
the Darkness replied. They left you alone, and they’re never coming back. And it’s all your fault, Yugi.

No! No, it- it’s not true!

Oh, but it is true.
The Darkness taunted him. It pulled and pulled at his heart and soul, as it he was being devoured by the Shadows. You’re all alone, and it’s all your fault. You made them go away.

---

Seto walked down the hallway and into a small room. Inside, he immediately spotted Yugi lying in one of the beds.

He had said his goodbyes to his brother. Now, this child in front of him was all he had left. Although he had barely trusted him before, these past few days had brought him oddly close to his rival.

It’s amazing what the right circumstances can do, he thought bitterly. Now I feel attached to him as if he was my brother, too. I suppose he is, in a way. We’ve shared each other’s pain, after all.

Why do I feel as if I need to protect him?


He sat in a chair beside the bed of the boy in a deceivingly peaceful sleep.

---

You’ve always known that you were alone. You never really believed that you had friends and family, did you?


But I do! I have Jii-san now, and Yami and Jou and Honda and Anzu!

They’re not here anymore, Yugi. Why won’t you believe me? Jou and Honda went to live in Tokyo. As for the others? They’re dead and not coming back. They can never come back, Yugi.

No! Yami can’t die! He’s a spirit!

But without you, he’s trapped in the puzzle. You’ve left him all alone in the Darkness, and now it’s your turn.

I... but I never meant....

Oh, but you did. You didn’t want him around anymore, so you gave him up to the Darkness. And now that you’re alone, you want him back. But you can’t have him, Yugi. You can never have him again.

No.... I don’t want to be alone again.... But....

Seto-san! He said that he would help me! He’s my friend!

Did you actually think that Kaiba, of all people, would want to be your friend? He was simply using you, Yugi! Kaiba cares about only himself- no one else.

That’s a lie! Seto-san cares very much about Mokuba! And he... he said... he said that he would be my friend, too! He said... he said that he would help me....

Help you? Don’t be a fool! He just wants to hurt you! He wants to hurt you just like everyone else always has.

Jii-san never hurt me! And neither did Anzu, and especially not Yami!

Oh, really, now? But didn’t the pharaoh betray your trust? He almost killed Kaiba against your wishes, remember? And all those times he locked you into your soul room....

Mou hitori no boku was only trying to protect me!

Ah, but even then, he failed, didn’t he? Your soul was nearly shredded to pieces by the Shadows.

But he saved me! And Jii-san and Anzu saved me, too! And Seto-san! They all helped me when I thought that I was lost.... I thought that I was alone, and they helped me!

My friends have always been there for me, and they always will be!

And with those brave words, the Darkness shrank away and dispersed as a bright Light chased it away.

And then, that Light grew and grew until it blinded Yugi, and then....

And then he woke up.

---

Seto blinked as he saw the boy’s eyes open. He leaned forward eagerly, wishing to affirm this.

Yugi groggily blinked the sleep out of his eyes and attempted to raise his left arm only to find it in a cast and sling. He opened his mouth as if to speak- but nothing came out.

He blinked again, surprised, and tried to say something once more.

Still, no sound was made.

Frightened now, Yugi tried desperately to make any noise. He attempted to scream several times, and he then broke down into a silent sob when all failed.

Suddenly, with even more horror, he realized that he could not feel his legs. He tore the bed sheets off of himself with his good arm and was relieved to find everything still in tact. Then, with a harsh concentration, he tried to lift one of his legs, but it firmly remained on the bed.

Not only was he mute, but he also was partially paralyzed.

Overwhelmed, Yugi cried.

Seto sat through all of this, merely watching. The doctor had told him- as Yugi no longer had any living family- that the boy’s arm had been broken in two different places and that he himself was paralyzed from the waist down. It seemed, though, that a new revelation had been made.

Apparently, Yugi was no longer able to speak.

Now, very slowly, Seto bent down and carefully wrapped his arms around his friend.

---

The doctor had come and gone once again, and Yugi sat in bed, simply staring into nothing. Hibiki had been puzzled at his the boy’s muteness and, with no explanation, had been forced to reluctantly declare it self-induced (shock-induced, perhaps, he had said), although it was very clear that it was not by any means willing.

Seto sat in the awkward silence, unsure of what to say. Obviously, he had never been in the presence of one who could not speak and was afraid of saying the wrong thing.

Finally fed up with the silence, however, he broke it.

“Do you know about your grandfather?”

Dully, Yugi nodded.

“And Anzu?”

Once again, a nod.

Seto asked one more question, this time having a bit of trouble. “Did you know that M... Mokuba... was murdered, too?”

Yugi turned his dim, wide eyes towards the soft voice, shocked. He shook his head no, though his physical response was enough for the elder boy.

Seto sighed and turned away.

“I arrived at the game shop to wish you a happy birthday and to give you your present- I think it’s still there- but only found you and the others on the floor. Your grandfather and Maza- Anzu were dead, but you were only unconscience, so I called the hospital right away.

“No sooner than the ambulance had left the store, though, did I receive a phone call from one of the workers at my mansion. Mokuba.... He said that Mokuba was dead.”

He paused, still having trouble accepting the fact that his brother had left him for good. Yugi bowed his head, also having problems with this.

Then, suddenly, Seto realized something. “Yugi,” he said, “where is the Sennen Puzzle?”

Yugi did not look up but instead flinched when asked this question.

“Is it still in the game shop?”

The younger boy nodded.

Seto sighed again. “Yugi, the shop has been taped off as a crime scene. Both Anzu and your grandfather died for no apparent reason; they examined the bodies, but they didn’t find anything pointing to what killed them. It’s the same with Mokuba.”

The young man stood, stretched his back, and turned towards the door.

“It’s getting late. I’m going to find out what I can about the investigation. Get some sleep. I’ll be back in the morning.”

And with that, he walked out of the room, leaving the boy in the bed alone with his thoughts.

As he entered the hallway, he was approached by the good Doctor Hibiki, who was carrying a clipboard full of notes in his hand.

“Ah, Kaiba-san,” he greeted. “I’ve been looking for you.”

Seto faced the doctor, impatient to find information on the investigation. “What is it?”

Hibiki shifted his stance, nervous. “You see, Kaiba-san,” he began, “as you well know, young Muoto-san has no known family now.”

“Yes,” Seto growled. “Get on with it.”

“Well.” He cleared his throat. “Well, social services will be coming here tomorrow morning to speak to him. After we deem him fit to leave- which shouldn’t take more than a week, really- he will be moved to either a foster home or an orphanage. And as you were the one who called in the incident, I thought that you should know.”

Seto remained silent for a moment, and then asked, “Will I be able to sit in on the meeting?”

Hibiki shifted once again and scratched his chin. “I’m not sure, really, I’ve never dealt with something like this before. I suppose it would be alright with me as long as Muoto-san doesn’t mind, but I’ll need to speak with the representative who will be here.”

Seto nodded. “Let me know as soon as you find out. You have my number, I assume.”

“Yes, Kaiba-san,” the doctor hastily affirmed. “I will call you right away when I know for certain.”

Seto nodded once again, turned on his heel, and left the building.

Hibiki sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “Lovely. Now I just need to let Muoto-san know.”

This just really isn’t my day.

---

When Seto finally returned home, it was close to eleven o’clock at night. He stepped over the police tape and into the house, heading straight for the main security room. The police had all left because they were unable to retrieve the footage (it required Seto’s personal password) and had run out of other clues; the investigation had come to a halt.

He walked into the room with the video footage, locked the door, and typed in his password.

-Magic isn’t real.-

That done, he replayed the footage from the time he left his house that afternoon to the time he received the phone call that changed his life.

Nothing out of the ordinary. Wait a minute. Is that Noa on Mokuba’s computer?

There was no time to answer this question, however, because at that exact moment, a figure in a black cloak appeared in the hallway outside of Mokuba’s room. He was unable to see the figure’s face; it was in a blind spot that no camera covered.

Just then, the Mokuba on the tape walked into the corridor.

Mokuba, no!

The dark figure took a stick and pointed it at Mokuba, who fell to the ground, apparently dead. The murderer disappeared moments before the butler came running into the hallway.

Seto turned off the video.

Who was that? How did he get in and out, and how did he kill Mokuba?

With my luck, it was probably magic. There isn’t any other logical explanation.

He sighed and closed his eyes, mulling things over in his mind for the next hour before calling the police station.

---

AN: Well, that’s the end of this chapter. Not much happened, but them’s the breaks. I’m trying, honest! This is just a hard spot in the story to get around.

The strange part where Yugi’s thinking? Yes, that is him talking with his sub conscience when he’s unconscience. Weird, I know, but it helped me over my writer’s block.

Now you’ve read, so please review!

-Sugarpony