Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Fear Not The Guardian ❯ Recovery ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2 - Recovery

(A week later)

Mai studied Téa as she drove her friend back to the large house she shared with the others. Mr Moto would be there waiting for Téa, and Mai was glad there would be someone there for her. She was awfully quiet, staring out the window at the passing scenery.

" Téa, are you okay?"

Téa glanced at Mai. " I'm fine," she replied.

" You just seem quiet."

" I'll be okay."

Mai was glad when she pulled into the drive. The car slowed to a stop, and Mai got out. She grabbed the pair of crutches from the back, and helped Téa out. Téa balanced on them, still trying to get used to them, and watched as Mr Moto appeared at the doorway, smiling. She turned to Mai and hugged her, whispering " Thanks," in her ear as she moved away, slowly manoeuvring the crutches. Mai waited until Téa was inside before she got back in the car and drove off, the haunted look in Téa's eyes disturbing her.

" Téa, I'm so glad you're back. I've been so worried about you, ever since the boys told me about your accident," Mr Moto said, giving Téa a warm but gentle hug. She smiled, tiredness showing in her face.

" I'm glad to be back, Mr Moto," she replied.

" The boys aren't back yet - they went out to watch a duel - so you should have some peace and quiet for a while. I'll tell them to keep quiet when they get back. Now, I want you to go upstairs and get into bed, and I'll bring you a warm drink. You look as if you haven't slept for a week."

Téa gave him a small cynical smile. " You'd be about right, then." She was glad when he just nodded, rather than asking why.

She managed to get upstairs without too much difficulty, changed and then sank gratefully into her bed. The familiar surroundings soothed her, even the closet in the corner of the room, which still gave her nightmares.

Mr Moto brought up a warm milky drink for her, told her he would be downstairs if she needed anything, and left her alone. The milky drink made her sleepy, and within five minutes she had dozed off.

It was dark when she woke, and she was aware of someone sitting in the corner of her room, at her desk.

" Yami?" she whispered. The figure turned, and she could see the outline of him.

" Téa," he said, sounding relieved. He moved over to her bed, and sat down next to her. She sat up, and buried her face in his chest. His arms slid around her and held her close as she cried.

" What's wrong?"

Téa pulled back and looked into his eyes, which were full of concern. " It's my ankle. The doctor - he said I wouldn't be able to dance again for at least six months. That means I won't be able to take the exam, and I've worked so hard to get a place at the Academy." Another tear rolled down her face, and Yami brushed it away and then stroked her hair.

" You once told me to follow my heart; pursue my dream, whatever obstacles got in the way. If it turned out that it wasn't the right dream, then fine. But that's what you've got to do, Téa. Maybe dancing isn't for you. Or maybe this happened for a reason. Something else might happen instead of the exam, and you could find your way into dancing differently. You've got to believe in yourself Téa. I believe in you." He kissed her softly, and she gave him a watery smile. " I love you, and nothing's going to get in the way of that."

Téa cuddled up to him, and sighed. " I love you too. I'm just feeling sorry for myself at the moment, instead of caring for my friends. I'm sorry."

Yami laughed. " You're entitled to feel sorry for yourself. You've got concussion, a broken ankle and cuts and bruises everywhere. You survived a suspected hit and run, and you're sorry that you're feeling depressed? Anyone who had gone through that and not felt sorry for themselves would have something seriously wrong with them." He shook his head in amusement.

Téa laughed quietly. " I guess you're right." She kissed him on the lips, and touched his cheek.

" You must get some more sleep, Téa. I'm sorry if I disturbed you."

" It's okay, Yami. I needed to talk to someone about it."

The pharaoh nodded, then kissed her once more on the forehead and moved away.

" Goodnight, Téa."

" Night, Yami."