Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Harpy's Song After Battle City ❯ The Heart Song ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Goin' To Work
Fear and pain were the only things that Harpy could feel anymore they had become her constant companions ever since her students Tea and Mai had abandoned her, when the nightmares first appeared after the horror of the Battle City tournament. She had been forced to participate by her own mentor Ishizu Ishtar. After Duelist Kingdom she had sworn off dueling forsaking it the same way that her own skills forsook her in her duel against Yugi Moutou the duel that everthing rested on. The only thing that kept her from seppuku then was her friends, Friends who had now shunned her as a being too dangerous ever since the Bloodbreaking a ritual of incredible power that she Harpy Ishizu had initiated because she had lost her temper in Alcatraz Tower.
The nightmares had become the bane of her existence there were days that she just wanted to lay down and die. They were terrible and demonstrated more accurately then words, the depths of humanities cruelty. When she was a child she had hated bullies and her hatred had only increased with time. After spending more time than she cared to think about at the mercy of the worst bully she had ever seen she had been ready to kill, so when an opportunity had presented itself to her she took it and defended her friends and her love. Now she paid the price of the powers she had unleashed against Gozabura Kaiba.
 
The alarm went off but I wasn't asleep
After tossin' and turnin' all night what a relief
To go to work, get up and go to work
So I get onto the highway and head into town
There's one part of my life I won't let you tear down
Yeah and that's my work-right now I'm goin' to work
Silence moved slightly when Harpy entered the barn. The mare had been brought here after she and 4 other horses were found hurt, starving, dehydrated, and half dead in the barn of a dead business tycoon right after Harpies return from Battle City. Harpy had been put in charge of Silence who had been in the worst condition she had been wounded from trying to get out of her stall as well as barely being able to move upon further examination it showed that her vocal chords had been removed surgically years ago leaving her almost completely mute. Tending to Silence had become her sole job even her own horses Dragon, and Red were being tended to by the most senior of the apprentices. Harpy entered the barn talking all the while to keep Silence from getting nervous and trying to move more than she had to. Before she did anything else Harpy first came to Silence's head and stroked the mares gray neck singing to her in the ancient tongue that all Life can understand. It was a song of peace and hope, even though Harpy had not been able to feel such emotions since she had awoken on board Kaibacraft3 with Ishizu standing over her.
 
Yeah when the whistle blows, I'll be there
Life goes on even when it's not fair
So who's got time to hurt, right now
I got to go to work
 
Now I remember what it is I do
For a while I thought my life was just loving you
But now it's back to work
Oh thank God for my work
So from nine to five I take a break
From an empty bed and a heart that aches
I'm good at my work
Oh I'm good at my work
 
Silence needed her and she needed Silence. They could understand each other. Both had been hurt, both were forced to watch as their friends suffered, and both had lost friends, but worst of all was the way that neither of them had any hope left yet. Harpy had lost her song.
 
Yeah when the whistle blows, I'll be there
Life goes on even when it's not fair
So who's got time to hurt, right now
I got to go to work
 
Oh I got to stay busy that's the only way
Throw myself into my business and collect my pay
Watch me keep it together while I fall apart
'Cause a world won't stop for a broken heart
Oh no, no
 
Yeah when the whistle blows, I'll be there
Life goes on even when it's not fair
So who's got time to hurt, right now
I got to go to work
Watch me I'm goin' to work
Oh yeah you know I'm good at my work
Right now I'm goin' to work