Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of the Cards ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Heart of the Cards: Chapter Seven
There was a feeling of weightlessness and a barrage of bright colors and disorientation. After what seemed like only a matter of seconds Yugi and Yami slammed into the body of the pharaoh some three thousand years before. Yami was immediately assimilated into the psyche of Atem. Yugi tried to call out to him in the recesses of their mind, but it was as if he could not be heard.
Yugi was able to see what was happening through the pharaoh's eyes but he had no control. A glimpse of his skin revealed that the Egyptian pharaoh was quite a few shades darker than his Japanese heritage's skin.
“Set! What are you doing?” Atem cried as he and Shada found cover behind a large golden statue as the high priest's shadow monster hurled an attack at Shada's shadow monster, resulting in rubble flying everywhere.
Yugi couldn't help but stare in disbelief at Shada, who was the exact replica of Shadi. He was fairly certain that the spirit of Shadi had merged with his previous incarnation, same as the pharaoh. However, when the pharaoh called out `Set' Yugi's attention was directed towards a man in priest robs who bore an uncanny resemblance to Seto Kaiba. That would certainly explain why he was necessary.
“What should have been done long ago,” Set replied coldly, his blue eyes black as a jackal's onyx statue.
There was laughter following that statement and the pharaoh and Yugi's eyes followed the sound. Standing upon a high ledge stood Bakura with a wicked grin. “An unexpected ally, don't you think pharaoh?”
“Shut up!” Pharaoh Atem cried, calling forth his dark magician. “Mahaado I need you now!” Yugi watched in disbelief as the pharaoh called the dark magician by his human name. He had no idea he was a human or had a name. What was going on?
oooooOOOOOooooo
Isis tightened her grip on her pale horses' reigns. Mana sat behind her, arms around her waist while Karim rode a darker version of her horse at her side. Isis and Karim cast each other quick glances, an unspoken message passed between them. The pharaoh was in danger and time was running out.
“We're almost there,” Mana spoke softly. Not far into the distance the tomb of Pharaoh Atem's father, Akunumkanon, loomed before them. It was the same tomb that Mahaado had lost his life to the Thief King Bakura. Mana leapt off the horse before she came to a stop and began to run for the tomb's entrance.
“Wait!” Karim called, drawing her reluctant attention. “Your magic is more important than your muscle,” he advised sliding off his horse. He reached Mana's side and took her elbow. He looked to Isis.
“Up high,” Isis suggested. “You can concentrate on your magic without worrying about getting killed if we hide you up in the upper rafters of the tomb.” Mana gave a curt nod of her head, green eyes flashing impatiently. Isis took Mana's elbow out of Karim's hand. “Go and help Set, I will join you shortly.”
Karim paused a moment, looking into Isis' eyes, needing to tell her thing but unable to confess. He opened his mouth and then quickly snapped it shut, turned towards the entrance of the former pharaoh's tomb and took off.
Isis watched him leave, her heart heavy with foreboding. It wasn't until Mana's insistent tug on her arm that she realized that time was of the essence. “We have no time to daydream,” Mana informed her, an attempt of a smile failing miserably at her lips.
“Right,” Isis agreed and the two took off, climbing the tomb.
The sounds of battle were loud within the great tomb and Karim had little trouble locating the origin of the chaos. The first thing he noticed was that Priest Akunadin was lying dead upon the stone floor. He bent near the body, feeling the flesh and finding it still warm. However, he knew he must have been dead for some time because his millennium scale did not tip towards good or evil, it did not react at all. This was unusual. Generally, the spirit did not stray too far from the body immediately.
Karim had little time to ponder the mystery though because Set's shadow monster, Dios sent a large avalanche of stones hurtling towards his body. Karim dodged the crushing stones and found Set watching him with dark eyes, that were most certainly not his own.
“Set! What are you doing?” Atem cried. He issued orders for Koreba to multiply. The hairball monsters began to swarm Set's Dios. Set glared at him and raised his millennium rod, a bolt of lightning was released straight for the pharaoh.
Shada pushed Atem out of the way, the lightning bolt slamming into him. “The spirit of Akunadin is within him,” he uttered, his eyes closing, and his breath was labored as his heart began to give out on him.
“Shada! No!” Atem cried, coming over to his priest's side. “You can NOT die!”
Shada offered his pharaoh a small smile, “I regret that this is one order I can not follow.” He took a shuddering breath and grasped Atem's shoulder. “It has been the greatest honor to serve you.” His hand's grip slackened and fell to his side as his life expired.
Atem looked up at Karim. “This can not be,” he whispered in disbelief. “First Mahaado, then Akunadin, and now Shada.”
“Not Akunadin,” Karim informed him grimly as he watched the Dark Magician, or Mahaado, battling Dios. “I have an idea,” he said as he drew a symbol in the dirt on the tomb's floor. “I will fuse Set's Ka with the Blue Eyes White Dragon of Kisara. It will enable him to defeat the spirit of Akunadin that is within him.”
Atem nodded his approval, “Do it.”
The Dark Magician was fending off attacks from both Set's Dios and Bakura's Diabound. Koriba was called to join in the attack against Dios, multiplying and distracting the shadow monster.
Karim tried his best to ignore that madness that was growing around him. He had called forth the spirit of Kisara, as she was at Set's side, waiting to help him if she could. He had just merged Set's Ka of Dios with the Blue Eyes White Dragon. Set's eyes grew wide in surprise at the invasion of his Ka and the darkness seemed to drain from his irises.
Set gave a cry of rage and then slumped to the ground, his eyes focused upon the body of Akunadin. “I have never felt so violated,” he groaned, turning towards the pharaoh and Karim. “Thank you,” he told Karim, as he rose to his feet once more, ready to call Blue Eyes White Dragon to join forces with the Dark Magician.
Bakura shook his head at the sight before him. “Looks like I'll have to do it myself after all.” He began chanting and the creature of Diabound was sacrificed. In his stead a new creature, Zork was called forth. He grinned down at the pharaoh. “For the lives of my village lost to your uncle's greed!”
Zork released an attack directed at Karim who was still recovering from his use of magic.
“No!” A familiar voice called from the entrance of the chamber.
“Isis,” Karim answered, a sad smile on his face as his hand reached out for her. Then he too perished. Isis flew to his side, enraged and called forth her spirit Ka. Bakura only laughed and called out three much smaller monsters and directed them all towards her Ka.
oooooOOOOOooooo
Mana had her eyes closed in concentration, ignoring the sounds of battle below her as she summoned her Dark Magician Girl. She had to help. She could not allow the others to die. She did not see the fall of Shada, or the demise of Karim. She certainly did not see Isis fall victim to a swarm of shadow monsters.
Her eyes snapped open and her emerald irises had a golden cast to them. Floating before her was her Ka. The Dark Magician Girl tipped her hat in greeting and then flew straight away towards the battle. She blocked an attack that would have annihilated her former master.
Mahaado looked at his side in surprise at seeing his student's spirit Ka. “Mana?” He whispered in awe as he raised his staff, Mana's Ka mirroring his actions. The Dark Magician Girl combined her power with his and their attack was doubled. Set focused Blue Eyes upon their target and together they destroyed all the minion shadow monsters, leaving behind only Zork.
Atem cried out as Isis died in his arms. It was at that moment that he noticed Mahaado was about to be destroyed as well. At least, it looked that way until what looked like Mana in bright blue and pink armor appeared at his side. Atem looked up into the upper portions of the tomb, and found Mana concentrating. He gently settled Isis' body on the ground. “So that is why you came,” he whispered.
Set was crouched at Atem's side. “I suppose it is good she does not always listen to orders,” he remarked dryly. He turned to Atem, “If she had you would have certainly been dead by now.”
“Karim and Isis came with her,” Atem agreed knowing that his death would have been at the hands of a possessed Set.
“You can not defeat this Zork,” Set informed him grimly. The pharaoh frowned at his ominous words. “But he will not win either,” he stated, earning a confused look from his cousin. “While the dark priest was in my body I found out a few things,” he paused, directing another attack against the monstrous shadow beast. “He and your father were twin brothers, which means, I am your cousin.”
Atem's jaw dropped open in surprise at the information, but Set raised his hand to silence him and continued. “Bakura seeks revenge justly. The millennium items were created with the death of ninety-nine of his people. His village was slaughtered at the command of my father.”
Atem looked at the far corner of the tomb towards the white haired bandit. He wasn't crazy after all, he was vengeance personified. “I have wronged him, he deserves to win.”
Set growled at the comment and shook Atem's shoulder fiercely. “You did not wrong him. However, we do hold responsibility. He is not blameless himself,” Set told him, reflecting upon Kisara's needless death. “We will not lose to him.”
“I can not defeat him when it is I that deserve defeat,” Atem told him solemnly as he watched his two magicians, Set's dragon, and his Koriba fighting together against Zork.
“You can not give up and die either,” Another voice contributed to the conversation, surprising the two royal cousins. Mana was crouched behind Atem, the tears in her eyes showing that she had seen the fate of the loyal priests.
“Mana,” Atem said her name softly, reaching up to stroke her cheek gently. “I must do what is best. I can not allow this Zork to destroy the whole of Egypt.” Mana reached up, trapping his hand against her cheek a tear spilling over to land upon their hands.
Yugi understood. He cried out desperately to gain the pharaoh's attention. At least he knew why he had such a connection with the Dark Magician and Dark Magician Girl in the present time, or perhaps he should refer to it as the future since he was three millennia in the past. `The millennium puzzle is the key Yami!' It was of no use, the pharaoh still could not hear him. He tried calling out to Kaiba instead. `Kaiba! Can you hear me?'
`Why would I want to hear you?' Kaiba answered, surprising Yugi.
`Have you been able to hear me this whole time?' Yugi asked.
`No. It was a little crowded in here with the whole evil father taking possession of my body.'
`Don't you mean Set's body?' Yugi inquired.
`No, this is my body. I was alive three millennia ago, unlike you who is simply serving as a vessel for the pharaoh.'
`I wonder what has happened to Isis and Shada,' Yugi wondered.
`Either they are dead like their counterparts or they have simply returned to their bodies in the present.' Kaiba answered sounding annoyed. `What do you mean the millennium puzzle is the key?'
`Yami, I mean, Pharaoh Atem was sealed inside of the puzzle for thousands of years. I believe Zork was sealed inside of it as well.'
`That would explain why Bakura was needed I suppose,' Kaiba consented. `And perhaps you are the reincarnation of the pharaoh the difference being that you shared the same body.' Kaiba groaned, `This is annoying.'
“My prince we have to leave,” Mana's voice interrupted the conversation between Yugi and Kaiba. “This place will collapse soon,” her hand was wrapped around Atem's wrist and she was pulling him to his feet.
`She used to play pranks on me,' Kaiba spoke to Yugi, clearly annoyed at the young woman. His voice softened, `She's very special.'
“If we leave then all of Egypt will be destroyed,” Atem told her slipping his wrist out of her grasp. He looked down at the millennium necklace. “I have an idea,” he told Set and Mana.
Mana cried out then, her spirit Ka receiving a vicious blow from Zork. “Mana!” Mahaado screamed her name, using his staff to stop another bolt of energy from being directed at her Ka, which was wavering. He turned towards where she was crouching in the shadows, his face filled with worry. “Pharaoh, we can not hold off much longer.”
“I'm fine,” Mana told them, her face a grimace of pain. When she saw that Atem did not believe her she turned to Set. “Really.”
Set gave a nod of his head, and turned back to his cousin. “What is your plan?”
“Seal my spirit into the millennium puzzle along with Zork's. We should put Bakura's spirit into the millennium ring as well.” Atem told them.
`That explains why Bakura went all evil when we first met him while wearing that stupid ring necklace,' Kaiba retorted.
“Can you do it?” Atem asked his remaining priest.
Set turned to Mana, “Can you help me?” She nodded. His lips thinned as he answered the pharaoh. “We can do it.”
Mana watched Mahaado fighting alongside her Ka. “He will join you to protect you,” she told Atem. “A battle will take place in the future that will determine what becomes of both yours and Bakura's souls.”
Atem nodded, that he understood. “Set, you will become pharaoh in my absence.”
`Heh, I was even superior to you in leadership centuries ago,' Kaiba bragged. Yugi ignored him, focusing on the ramifications of what was about to take place.
“We need Mahaado's help as well,” Mana said, her gaze directed towards her master. Her spirit Ka gestured with a jerk of her head towards the trio and then vanished, being absorbed back inside of Mana.
“You can not hide forever!” Bakura called menacingly from his high perch.
Mahaado's magician vanished, and then reappeared with the trio, appearing bulky in his armor and in size now that he was at least a foot taller in height. He seemed to already know what was to be done. His violet gaze locked onto Mana's as something unspoken passed between them. He reached for her hand and then for Set's hand. They formed a mini-circle around the pharaoh and the spell began to be set.
`I suppose this means we will be returning to the present,' Yugi spoke.
`You must say my name when we return,' Pharaoh Atem answered, surprising Yugi. `It will be the memory releasing spell so that this battle might finally have an end.'
“Until we meet again Atem,” Mana whispered sadly as his body vanished before her and was sucked into the millennium puzzle. A cry from Bakura signaled that he too was feeling the effects of the incantation. The shadow monster Zork disappeared.
The tomb was silent, except for the labored breathing of Set and Mana. Mahaado still held both of their hands. He gave Mana's a reassuring squeeze. “We will all meet again my beloved student.” He smiled at her, “Make me proud.” Then he vanished.
Set stood, helping Mana to her feet, while keeping a firm grip on her hand. Together they surveyed the damage. All the pharaoh's loyal priests and priestess were dead however their bodies were not to be seen. “They have all joined him,” Set explained. “Except for the wicked priest of course,” he said while staring at the body of his father.
“Three thousand years is a long time,” Mana looked up at him.
“The great kingdom of Egypt will probably have fallen by the time we reunite with the pharaoh and the others. I will need you to be my priestess. Together we can keep the middle kingdom of Egypt strong.”
“I would be honored,” Mana answered with a bow of her head.
Set gave her hand a tug and pulled her after him, leaving the tomb. “In the mean time, we shall work on increasing your powers.” He smiled down at her sadly. “I know that you would like to rejoin Mahaado and Atem.”
“More than anything,” Mana agreed. She let go of Set's hand and then walked towards where Bakura had stood. There lay the millennium ring that Mahaado had born for years. She placed it over her neck. “This shall now be my responsibility.”
Set picked up his millennium rod and began to gather the other items. “These others shall be placed in safe keeping in Atem's tomb.” Set and Mana locked eyes, for they both knew the tomb would be empty.
Set told her of the dark and bloody origin of the millennium items and that the priest Akunadin was actually his father. He also explained that he and Atem were cousins, though ignorant of the fact until that day.
The millennium items were tucked into the saddlebag on Set's horse. Mana coaxed Atem's white horse to her to ride. “We will send for the horses to be brought back,” Set answered her silent question when he caught her looking at their friends' horses sadly.
Mana rode alongside Set, silence settling between them as they made their way home to the palace. “I will become as strong as Mahaado so that I can serve the pharaoh in the future,” Mana vowed.
“Perhaps we will both be reincarnated to serve him in the future,” Set answered in a tease.
Mana frowned at his answer. “Mahaado will not be allowed to be reincarnated now that he fused his soul with his Ka.” She looked at Set with such a fierce sobriety that it sent chills down his spine. “I too will fuse my spirit to my Ka when the time comes.”
Set did not like the idea of Mana doing so. He knew that what she spoke was true. He would never again see Kisara in a future life now that her Ka and spirit had merged to protect him. However, he knew that he did not have to option of following that fate. “Very well, when the time comes, I will help you,” he agreed reluctantly.
“Thank you,” Mana whispered.