Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ I Am ... ❯ ... Dark Vengeance ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I Am ...
... Dark Vengeance
by Josie

There are those who fear the darkness; they cower in corners and whimper at the mere thought of it. Cowards. They have no real place in this world, afraid of even their own shadows, fearing that the darkness will devour them at any moment. He's like that. It's why I can't stand being tied to such a weakling as he has proven himself to be time and time again. He is a hindrance to my progress, to my revenge, and yet I have no choice but to rely on him as my only means of existence at present.

I would change that in a heartbeat if I could. I hate dependence, I hate weakness, and - more than anything, I should say - I despise his friends. Oh, he sees nothing wrong with them; why would he, after all? He's a fool of a host, believing that the world can be perfect regardless of how often he is shown that it is not so. He thinks that it's perfectly fine to buddy up with that thrice-damned pharaoh.

I'd kill him, if only I could. Unfortunately, I've long since learned that the death of my host equates to another lengthy imprisonment. It's not as though the location of that is so horrible; the darkness is my greatest asset, and is as much a part of me as blood is to any living human. But that imprisonment could very well cost me my revenge, sending me into even more thousands of years of waiting for my next chance.

And so the boy lives, lucky little pain in the ass that he is. Sometimes, I almost wonder if he so much as cares. He complains about what acts I've committed with his body; oh yes, he complains. He whines like the stupid little bitch that he is, about how he doesn't want his friends hurt or how he doesn't condone violence. It's about all that he knows how to do; weak little piece of shit that he is, he can't defend himself from anything. What a joke that I am forced to endure his presence.

My opposite in every way, the boy is lucky that I bother to help him at all - although, truth be told, it's not as though I have too much of a choice. Threats against him are threats against me, after all. I cannot afford for some fool to harm this body while I still need it, and, oh, do I need it. My only means of mobility, my one chance at gaining my desperately sought-after revenge. I want nothing more than to taste the blood of those who are responsible for the destruction of my village.

Unfortunately, that also entails being as cunning as I possibly can to endure their company without suspicion arising. That's not to say that they don't have their uses to me; a simple word of just how they could be harmed, and my host whimpers and allows me free reign to do as I please. The stupid boy would kill himself a thousand times over for his friends; weakness, you must understand. In life, you can only trust yourself; friends will abandon you and are thus worthless.

Everyone will abandon you for themselves. Allies are worthless, and it is only worthwhile to have servants who will do whatever you'd like them to. Those who are controlled with no thoughts of their own are the only ones worth working with. But the stupid fool will never understand such a glorious concept, and I'm stuck with his contempt for my way of life, hearing his consistent, holier-than-thou ranting on how being kind to others is the most worthwhile thing in the world.

It makes me sick. He refuses to grow up and face the music; the world is not a nice place, and it never has been. If you don't use others, then they will merely use you. That's the way that it has always been, and he's just itching to be the one to get used. He'd throw away his goddamned life to help someone else out. Practically jumps out of his skin shouting, "Pick me! Pick me!" if someone is needed to take the hits for another.

He'd be better off merely slitting their throats, just as they would do to him if the situation were reversed. Fucking martyrs, there's nothing more annoying than their preaching about how the world should stop fighting and everyone should be friends. The problem is that his stupidity will likely get him killed some day, and that puts me out of a mode of transportation.

Perhaps a threat to the pharaoh's host will get him to be more careful. He seems to enjoy the boy's presence the most, perhaps because their so similar. It might be difficult to pull off such a threat; it's not so much the lie that's the problem. I am a thief, after all; dishonesty is my way of life. However, he may have discovered already that little Yuugi is necessary to my overall plans. I should never have so openly saved the little brat and defended his rights to the damned pharaoh's puzzle. It would be so much easier to work around if I hadn't.

The boy is useful, however. There is no denying that. The smallest hint of danger towards him puts the pharaoh at ends, and he will do anything to stop it. He might even be willing to take defeat if it meant saving the boy's life. That is something that I should look into; they're closer than it would seem at first glance, and that closeness will be his downfall. I'll see to that.

Three thousand years is a long time to wait for what is coming to you. I can tell you that from my own personal experience in the matter. I've waited all of this time for my revenge, and I will not let some stupid, soft host destroy my chance. It took this long for that damned puzzle to be placed back together; it took this long for the fuckwit of a pharaoh to return. This time, I'll destroy him, and that puzzle will be mine. This time, I will have my revenge on the pharaoh and his priests; I'll kill him with my own hands for what happened to my village.

The problem with idiots like him is that they always feel that love, trust, and working together will get them through anything; they never notice the knife being stuck into their own backs until it's too late. They get their hearts cut out with the smallest effort possible. It will be a deep pleasure to bring his end in such a way. He'll trust - he's stupid enough to trust - because his little host will want him to. The boy sees too much good in people, like the fool that he is. And so the pharaoh will trust, and, when it's much too late for him to do otherwise, he'll die by my hand, the hand of the one that he trusted, even against his own judgment.

The boy will be a perfect tool, just as my host is a useful vessel. It won't be too long before everything goes my way, and then my vengeance will complete in the darkness. They'll fall like rats, and I'll rise as the victor; the world will know my rage, and it will bow before me. It can do nothing else in the face of dark power.

I sit and I bide my time, waiting patiently and forming my plans; they would have likely worked, too, if not for fools getting in my way. My damned host with his need to save his worthless 'friends,' and then insisting to never wear my Ring again; he angered me to no end with that stunt. He's lucky that I even allow him back out after that. That goddamned tomb keeper, enabling the pharaoh to win by forcing me to give control of this body back to my host at a crucial moment; oh yes, it would help, wouldn't it? It would catch him off his guard and make him afraid to attack, except that it didn't work. That would be proof of the fact that friends are a worthless matter that should never be trusted, though that fool of a host does not see it that way. If I hadn't taken control again for that hit, I'd be out of my mode of transportation once again. It would be most inconvenient and disadvantageous.

But there are other ways; there are always other ways. His downfall comes in the one that he protects. If it's a choice between his life or the boy's, he'll simply put himself on the line, no questions asked, because of how he feels for his little host. Oh yes, he's predictable enough like that; such a stupid pharaoh. How he was allowed to lead the great kingdom is something I will never understand; blood rights are a fool's game, and always have been. That is not likely to change anytime soon.

He'll crumble easily, and the rest will follow after. Who will be able to oppose me when the Items are all in my hands? This darkness within me, this darkness that is so fully a part of me, will be the end of him and all of those that he holds so very dear to himself. His quick temper, his rage at the sight of me; it's all so predictable, and the moment that he sees me so much as reach for his precious host? He'll be ready for his death by jumping out as fast as he will. All the better and easier for me.

His devotion and desire to be the protector, his eternal existence as the forlorn and ill-tempered martyr of a king; he won't be able to resist the opportunity to jump in and attempt to save the day. He'll effectively put his own head on the chopping block to practically beg for the executioner's axe to come down upon him. But that won't be enough. That could never be enough. Oh no, first I'll destroy him in the one way that will hurt him the most; I'll turn his pathetic, precious little host against him, destroy the boy's faith and trust in him until it is shattered beyond repair. He'll die alone, hated, and forgotten. I will destroy him just as he remembers everything. He won't have any chance against me, because I hold all of the cards and the keys. I know what needs to be done, and he has no choice but to follow along as I lead him through it, right into my trap. I'll have won before it's even begun, and his friends - especially little Yuugi - will ensure that he has no chance of escape beyond defeat.

He'll crumble just as the boy that he holds so dearly turns his back on him. Yuugi is the perfect pawn in my plan, oblivious though he is. The pharaoh will fall in desperation, reaching for the boy's favor again, and he will be turned away. He'll shatter as the trust is broken, and he'll never recover. He'll accept his defeat with open arms, to get away from his solitude, like the fool that he is. It is a perfect plan, and it will run smoothly, from start to finish. His time will end soon.

They say the thief never wins; they're all fucking stupid.

- - -

Disclaimer: Yuugiou is the intellectual property of Kazuki Takahashi. I do not claim any right to the series or its characters, and I should probably apologize for the hell I'm likely to be putting them through in this story.
Author's Note: I sat around for a long time trying to think of what would be a good gift to a friend for her birthday; finally, I decided on this, a character-piece series (well, the first chapter of it, anyway).