Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Into the Midnight Sun ❯ Part III ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Into the Midnight Sun

Part III

The marriage ceremony was long over and the great feast had begun. Ubaid and his new wife, Kamilah, now sat before all those present to share in the joyous occasion. Stories were being told among all the people as they sat on the ground and ate. There was a young boy playing the harp as the great fire was being prepared not too far from where the people were.

"I've never been to any celebration like this one," Bakura commented as he took a spoonful of the hearty Bamya.

"There hasn't been one for many months, but they are always exciting," Anzu replied, smiling at the man before her. Her eyes slowly took in their surroundings. Adio was sitting with her father, Kasiya, and a girl she did not recognize. She was thankful that for once, Kasiya's attention was not on her.

"This is delicious," Bakura commented after taking several more bites of the Bamya which he had spread over rice.

"I spent almost all day cooking it," Anzu smiled, a light laugh escaping her lips.

"Oh, well, don't be so modest," Bakura joked, a crooked smile appearing on his face.

Anzu just smiled, her eyes once more traveling around to various people. At one point, she caught Kamilah's eye and waved, but now the girl was completely engrossed with her husband and Anzu had no where left to look but at Bakura.

"Are you not eating?" he questioned, raising a brow in question.

"Oh, no, I ate before the celebration. If I ate now, I would not be able to dance," she replied factually.

"You're going to dance?" he continued, setting aside his empty plate.

"Yes. For entertainment, I will be dancing with a few others. It could not be a celebration without it," she replied, nodding her head in agreement with herself.

"But you said you were singing?"

"I will. When the fire is lit and silence befalls us, I will sing. And when I am finished, the celebration will have officially ended. But my family must remain until everyone has departed. It is a manner of politeness."

Bakura smirked at her attitude as she sat there with her hands on her lap like she was a noble woman of the Pharaoh's court. He recalled the day when she had found him and he was near death. He had heard the voice of an angel, but now he was most certain her voice was that of a goddess.

"I must go and prepare for the dance. I will find you when I am finished," she told him, rising from the ground and turning away.

"Anzu," he called, grasping her hand, "I look forward to seeing you dance, as well as hearing you sing."

Anzu's face flushed as she pulled her hand away and rushed off with a few other girls to prepare for the dance. Bakura's eyes followed her until she disappeared into a house. She was definitely a surprising find in this village. Calm yet determined, willing yet strong-willed, beautiful yet simple. Everything she was contrasted who she was, and yet added to her brilliance. With this discovery, it was no wonder to him why not only Kasiya's head turned when Anzu walked around the village.

"Friends and honored guests," Thabit began, gathering the attention of the crowds. "Tonight, we have celebrated the marriage of my son to a wonderful woman. And to continue in the celebration, my daughter and a few of her friends would like to entertain you with a dance."

With his short speech finished, four girls dressed in bright colored dresses walked into the middle of the circle the crowd had formed, followed by a fifth girl whose clothing was a pale lavender dress. She slowly lifted a tambourine and suddenly, the dance began.

Bakura watched intently, glancing at the eyes of each girl in search of the bright sky colored eyes which belonged to Anzu. As he scanned each girl's face, he stopped at the girl dressed in the pale lavender. Her eyes seemed to be focused on him, and they happened to be the eyes of Anzu.

The dance was fast paced and entertaining. And Bakura once again understood why Kasiya was so intent upon having Anzu. She moved gracefully, the thin gold bands on her wrist jingling as she shook the tambourine. And now, with his eyes completely focused on her, Bakura began to forget about his plan.

~*~*~*~

"Bakura," Anzu said softly, gently touching his shoulder and causing him to turn to face her.

"I enjoyed your dance," he said, a smirk shining on his face.

Anzu smiled slightly, her blush hidden by the shadows of the night. "Come, the fire will be lit and I will be singing." Slowly, she reached for his hand and led him to the fire, not knowing the effect her action was causing.

Not too far from them, near where the fire would be, was Kasiya. From the torches that had been lit for light and the bright moon above them, he could clearly see Anzu's hand within Bakura's and he was not at all pleased.

"I must sing now. See, Father is motioning for me to begin," she whispered softly, releasing his hand and walking towards her father. In a poised manner, she sat herself before the harp and began to play. Her fingers pulled the cords and a beautiful melody began. And suddenly, her voice began to fill the night air as the fire was lit.

Her face illuminated, Bakura found her eyes closed to the world around her. She was completely focused on her song and could care less who was listening. He had heard the song before, when he was a child. It was the same song he would hear his mother singing every night as he fell asleep. And even now, many years later, he found himself being calmed by the soothing sound of Anzu's voice and gentle playing of the harp.

In Bakura's eyes, the song was perfect and had ended all too soon. When morning would arrive, the fire would be diminished and the remaining flames would be put out by Anzu's family. In a way, because he lived there, Bakura felt he was a part of her family. He shrugged away the thought, reminding himself that growing attached to anyone in this village would give him a reason to stay and he was not going to stay.

"You do realize that you have the voice of a goddess," Bakura stated quietly when she came over to him and people began to go home.

Anzu merely smiled her thanks as she cast her eyes towards the fire. "Yes?" she asked, turning to face the figure that had walked towards her.

"I wanted you to know that my offer still stands, and my question is given to you," Kasiya replied softly.

"And my answer remains the same. Please go home Kasiya," she whispered, her face set in stone.

"Please An-"

"She already gave you her answer," Bakura interrupted, his eyes narrowed at the other man before him whose black hair was shining in the light of the fire.

"I was speaking with Anzu," he growled.

"And like Bakura said, I gave you my answer. Please leave Kasiya; and please stop asking me," Anzu pleaded.

Kasiya nodded, giving Bakura one last glare before departing them.

"As for you," Anzu began, pointing her finger and hitting Bakura's chest with it. "I do not need you to tell him what I said. I am not a child and-"

Before she could continue, Bakura's finger had been placed over her lips, silencing her. "Maybe I did that because my heart is set on you and I won't stand for anyone else's to be the same," he whispered. Without another word, he removed his hand and left her, disappearing into her home.

Anzu remained where she was, a stunned expression upon her young face. He couldn't have meant that. He doesn't even know me…that well. But…he is attractive and…oh Anzu, stop before you get your hopes up! Bakura is not interested in you, nor should you hope him to be!

"Anzu, are you alright?"

"What? Sorry Adio, what did you say?"

"You just seemed dazed. Father said you should go home and rest. You've been awake nearly the entire day cooking, and you had to dance, and you sang this evening. And-"

"Alright, alright. I'm going. Goodnight," Anzu replied, kissing her elder brother's cheek.

"Goodnight Anzu." If you care for him, I give you my blessing.

~*~*~*~

Four days had passed by and Bakura had not spoken one word about what he had said at the wedding celebration. Part of the reason being that he was stubborn and the other being that he wasn't exactly sure. Today, he did not have to watch the flocks, and so he had gone with Anzu to the oasis.

"You once told me that you go into town. Will you be going there anytime soon?" Bakura questioned, staring out at the lake's waters.

"Yes, in two days Father wants me to take some of our wool and sell it. And then I am to buy a new robe for him and Adio; the extra I am to spend on what I wish," Anzu replied.

"And you're traveling alone?"

"Oh no, Father would never allow that. It is much too far a distance to travel alone. Ubaid used to go with me, but now that he is married, I do not know who he will send with me," Anzu sighed, closing her eyes softly.

"May I go with you? I walked across the desert, I'm certain I can walk to this town."

"You have to ask Father, but I'm certain he will agree. He likes you. And don't worry, we won't be walking." Grinning, Anzu rose from the grass and smiled down at Bakura whose expression was of curiosity. "Father allows me to use the horse for trips into town. It is much quicker that way; and easier to travel home."

The thought of a change of scenery and entering a town was liberating to Bakura. His only hope was that neither the guards nor the people had a recognition of him. It would do him no good if Anzu were to find out who had once been and who he felt he still was.

~*~*~*~

Thabit had readily agreed to Bakura joining Anzu on her journey into the nearest town. His eyes had twinkled with elderly knowledge when Bakura had made this request. And joyfully, he had given Anzu the product she was to sell and reminded her of what to buy.

And now, the two had arrived in the town in only half the time it would have taken had they walked. Anzu led Bakura to a stableman and dismounted her horse. "Please keep watch of them while I am in town."

The man nodded, taking the ropes of both horses and leading them into a barn while Bakura and Anzu entered the town which was bustling with life.

For being so young and having white hair, Bakura was easily seen. However, as his luck would have it, no one seemed to know who he was. He was certain the gods were smiling down upon him as Anzu led him around the town and sold her wool, making a large profit off of it.

"This is where I buy the robes," she said, entering a small house which had robes all over inside.

"Anzu, is your father in need of a new robe?" a woman asked, placing a toddler on the floor and rising to meet Anzu.

"Yes, as does Adio. And Bakura," she replied, nodding her head towards the man with her.

"I had been expecting this, so I made a few special. But I do not know this man. Is he-"

"No, he is a guest in my father's house," Anzu interrupted, glancing at the robes the woman was holding before her.

"Ubaid does not need one?"

"He married but seven days ago."

The woman nodded her head, handing Anzu a third robe and telling her the cost. Smiling, Anzu gave her the money and departed the shop, Bakura silently by her side. With no words, he took the three robes from her hands and followed her down the street, ignoring her protests.

She had stopped at a small jewelry stand and was browsing through the many different bracelets the man was selling. Her eyes had focused on one in particular that was a bright gold cuff with small engravings on it. However, she turned her eyes away from it and focused on the other, less extravagant bracelets. Ignoring the look Bakura gave her, she purchased two thin bracelets and left the stand, Bakura lagging behind.

When the day was halfway through, Bakura had learned where he could purchase a horse, how much it would cost, and which direction would be the nearest town. He had also experienced the silence of a woman who found something she wanted but could not afford. And being the stubborn woman she was, she had not voiced an interest in the object that he caught her eye.

Now with horses laden down with a new pot, and three new robes, Anzu and Bakura left the town behind. Bakura smirked when he patted the pouch wrapped around his neck. He would give his surprise to Anzu when they arrived back at the village, and when she would not question where he got it.

The ride to the village was silent, but this did not stop the smirk on Bakura's face, nor the humor within his sandy colored eyes. He had missed the feelings he used to get when sneaking into a rich man's home and stealing his gold. Now the feeling was back, and although it was nice to him, he wondered how Anzu would react, should she know what he had done.

~*~*~*~

The day passed by, as did the next three; all the while, Bakura held on to the surprise he had for Anzu. It was not until four days later that he could give it to her. Ubaid had joined Adio in the fields and had told Bakura to go back to the village, which he did so thankfully.

When he entered Thabit's home, he was greeted with the sound of fearful silence and quiet sniffling. As he walked further in, Anzu's gentle voice could be heard behind a tan curtain.

"Here, I made you some papaya juice Jumoke," she whispered softly, smoothing his dark hair from his face and gently wiping the tear trails from his eyes.

Jumoke looked at Anzu, his large violet eyes quivering in tears as she bent over his knee. He turned his head away, unable to look at what she was going to do and noticed a figure standing outside the curtain.

Bakura knew he was found and saw no reason to remain outside the curtain, so he entered the small room. There before him lay Jumoke with a scraped knee and Anzu gently cleansing it with water.

"Bakura!" Jumoke cried out in glee, his knee quickly forgotten.

"And what did you do?" he questioned, his voice softening due to the fact that he was speaking with a young child.

"I fell down near the well and hurt my knee," he replied solemnly.

Bakura bent his head over Anzu and glanced at the cleansed wound. The words that soon came from his mouth were unprepared.

"When I was young, I was playing with my sister and some other children. My mother had told me to stay inside because the streets were wet and slippery. I didn't listen and wound up falling and hurting my knee, only I remember it looking much worse than yours. And now I'm right here," he said, a crooked smile appearing on his face when Jumoke smiled at him.

"And you're okay?"

"I'm okay."

Anzu remained silent while Bakura continued to talk with Jumoke. She had no clue that half the time, his eyes were on her. "Now stay in here, I don't want you going anywhere the rest of the day," she told him, her eyes warning him not to defy her.

"Yes Anzu," Jumoke answered, bowing his head.

Bakura rose from the chair that he had sat upon, rustled Jumoke's hair, and followed Anzu out of his room. "Anzu, I have something I need to give you."

"But first I have a question for you," she countered, turning her gaze to meet his.

His silence urged her to speak.

"That scar on your cheek," she whispered softly, her hand slowly tracing it. "Where did it come from?"

Bakura made no move to stop her, but his mind was scrambling for an answer. He could very well come clean and tell her the truth - that the Pharaoh's guards had given it to him on the night his family was murdered - but then she would know his horrible past and want to know more, which would lead to her learning about his life of revenge and thievery. No, the truth was out of the question.

"Bakura?" she whispered softly, her fingers beginning to twirl locks of his soft white hair between them.

At that moment, Bakura forgot himself. The feelings shooting through him were unlike any he had ever experienced before. Anzu was unlike any girl he had ever known before. His plan was slipping from his grasp, seeming more and more unlikely as each day passed. He was beginning to believe he could start over, and have Anzu by his side.

But the only reason he claimed interest in her was to have amusement before he disappeared. If that were the case, why did his heart tell him otherwise? "I'd rather not talk about it," he finally answered, taking her hand and removing it from his hair. "However, I have something for you."

Anzu watched as Bakura pulled a golden bracelet from a small pouch wrapped around his neck. A gasp escaped her lips as he slid it on her wrist. It was the same bracelet she had seen in town; the very bracelet she wanted but could not afford. How was it that Bakura had known she wanted it when she said nothing, let alone afforded it?

"Don't say anything, and don't ask me," he commanded, his fingers beginning to trace her lips. "I admit that I have never felt this way in my life."

Anzu blinked, feeling him cup her chin and bring her closer to him. She knew what was coming, but found she did not want to stop it. Slowly, he brought her lips to his and placed a gentle kiss upon them; explosions going off inside of him at the gentle touch. Suddenly, the thought of kissing her sweet face each day was more appealing to him than stealing the rarest gem from the temple of the gods.

Anzu slowly pulled away, her eyes searching Bakura's for a sign of sincerity. "I…"

"Anzu, promise me you will give me your day when the moon has come three times," he whispered, his eyes searching hers.

"I promise," she replied, her heart pounding against her chest.

"I should join your brothers in the fields," he said, kissing her hand and leaving her behind. His heart was in turmoil at what he felt. He wasn't expecting to fall in love with her, but he knew that was what he was beginning to feel. Love. He laughed at the thought. He, once a tomb robber, was in love with Anzu, the daughter of a shepherd.

Anzu's own heart was telling her many different things. A light hum began to escape her lips when she went to the well to draw water. Her fingers gently graced the place he had kissed her ever so softly as a dreamy expression came over her.

Unknown to both Anzu and Bakura, two people had seen them. One being Jumoke, from behind the curtain and the other being Kasiya, through the window. While Jumoke grinned happily because he adored Bakura, Kasiya's anger and jealousy grew. Quickly, he took his father's horse and headed off into town in search of any information on Bakura. He said he had come from the city of the Pharaoh, so Kasiya knew just who to seek for this information. And while he told himself it was because he loved Anzu and wanted to be certain this stranger was an honest man, he knew deep down the first reason was because he hated Bakura.

~*~*~*~

Bakura slowly entered the tent where Anzu's father was, Adio and Ubaid close by. He could not believe what he was about to do. He was a tomb robber and thief, and yet, he would give that up just to be with Anzu. She had taught him many things after she had saved his life. She had taught him to truly live, and to give everyone a chance.

Wasn't that why the Pharaoh had freed him? Even though Bakura was so near to carrying out his plan of murder on the Pharaoh, he had let him go, giving him a second chance. Maybe this is why the gods had smiled down upon him that day. All he needed was a woman who was strong-willed and looked at the world unlike the rest. He had been given a second chance, and in spite of the thrills of stealing, thoughts of Anzu began to fill his head.

"Father, Bakura wishes to speak with you," Adio said, taking a seat beside his father and motioning for Bakura to sit across from Thabit while Ubaid took a seat on his father's other side.

"What is it Bakura?" Thabit questioned, wisdom and knowledge blossoming in his deep eyes.

"In the days that I have been here and have been graciously accepted into your home, I have come to have feelings I have never known before. My heart has begun to act on its own accord. I've never been able to express myself in words that sound like poetry," he paused, forcing his eyes to look into Thabit's. "I'm asking for your permission to ask Anzu for her hand."

Thabit stared back at Bakura, his eyes searching for honesty and truth. What a contrast this is to when Kasiya asked. He is a good man and he will be good to her. He works hard in the fields from what Adio and Ubaid tell me. "What exactly are you looking for from me?"

"I ask for your blessing, as well as your sons' blessing," Bakura replied quietly, uncertainty still filling his heart.

"I have already given you my blessing, in my heart," Ubaid said.

"And I have given you my blessing. All I ask is that you promise to be good to her. She is my sister and I love her dearly," Adio said next, his eyes focused on Bakura's face.

"Bakura, I have never asked your age," Thabit said suddenly, as if the whole subject of blessings had never occurred.

"I am twenty on the second day of the third month of Peret," Bakura replied in all honesty, curious at this change in subject.

"And Anzu will be blessed with eighteen years on the fifteenth day of the third month of Shemu. Bakura, my son, you have my blessing," Thabit said, his eyes shining with a happiness.

Bakura's eyes came to life at the realization of what he had just learned. He had her father's permission, and he was almost certain of the answer she would give to him the next day when he would ask.

"Go my son, and come to me when she answers you," Thabit said, shaking Bakura from his thoughts.

"Thank you," he whispered, rising from his position and exiting the tent.

"He will be good to her and she will be good to him," Thabit said, his eyes watching the flap Bakura had exited through. A single tear of joy slid down his face as he found that his only daughter would be wed very soon, should she agree.

~*~*~*~

"Meet me at your oasis when the sun is dipping below the mountains," he had told her earlier that morning. With a quick kiss to her hand, he had gone to the fields to join her brothers. And Anzu had waited, all day, her eyes constantly traveling to the sun to find its position. The day was long and slow, and when the sun was close to dipping below the mountains, Anzu left the house for the oasis.

She was passing by the well the moment Kasiya entered the town and saw her. "Anzu!" he called, pushing his horse harder so he could catch up with her.

"What is it Kasiya?" she asked, angry at being interrupted from heading for her meeting with Bakura.

Kasiya took a deep breath before hopping off his horse. "I have…information…you should know," he panted, trying to catch his breath as he gave his horse water.

"I have somewhere I need to be Kasiya," Anzu replied in slight irritation.

"Anzu, please. You have known me all your life. Please listen to me. If you see me as your friend, please listen to what I have to say."

Anzu stood there, her eyes glancing towards the sun. It would be many minutes before it would reach the point in which she should be with Bakura. As much as she would rather wait for him at the oasis, she stood still and turned towards Kasiya. "Please make this quick."

Kasiya nodded, pulling a piece of papyrus from his pouch and began to read.