Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Joey ❯ Track 3 - White Flag ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3! ... I know...it took a LONG time... Thank you to everyone who has reviewed and left a comment so far! This is a shonen-ai fic. You should know that by now if you're on the third chapter. If that offends your sensibility, please leave. I don't want to hear your whining crap later. For everyone else, enjoy!
Joey
By Alecto Perdita
Track 3 - White Flag
Rating: PG-13
Posted: December 28, 2003
Revised: June 22, 2005
Warning(s): Shonen-ai & Kaijou
Email: alecto.perdita@gmail.com
Website: http://cocytus.eternity-inc.net
Mailing list: http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/cocytus/

Disclaimer: Yu-Gi-Oh is the intellectual property of Takahashi Kazuki, and is being used in this fanfiction for fan purposes only. All situations, opinions and characters not belonging to Takahashi Kazuki are the intellectual property of Alecto Perdita.


I know I left too much mess and destruction to come back again
And I caused but nothing but trouble,
I understand if you can't talk to me again
And if you live by the rules of "it's over" then I'm sure that that makes sense but
- "White Flag" by Dido

Like a ripple breaking across the surface of the pond, the strange weight upon my mind broke apart. You know that cliché? The light at the end of the tunnel. I think I've found it. My body pitched forward and I ached like hell. It felt like I've been hit by an eighteen-wheeler. The tears... I was crying... Why was I crying?

I looked across from me and I saw Yugi. It couldn't be Yugi though. He was crying too, at least on the verge of tears. The heavy weight of the Millennium Puzzle around my neck dragged me down. My mind reeled back, still recovering and trying to grasp some sense of a viable reality. Why did I have the Puzzle?

"Boku wa Jounouchi ga daisuke desu."

It happened all too quickly. Yugi collapsed under the mental trauma of the Death Meteor hologram. I silently cursed Kaiba. Why the fuck did he have to make those damn holograms so real? The box at my feet popped open. There was a key.

"What are you waiting for?"

I looked over to the side. Kaiba...

"Get the key and get out of there! There's only twenty seconds left!"

No, I don't think so Kaiba. No way in hell I was just going to leave Yugi there. I clenched my fists tightly. "Red Eyes! Attack me! Make my lifepoints zero!"

Once again I cursed Kaiba. It hurt like hell. It really did. I almost thought I was just going to fall apart right there. I stumbled on my feet. The box on Yugi's side opened. There was no time to save myself. No. Worry about Yugi first. I threw the Millennium Puzzle and my Duel Disk down. Don't get me wrong, they were both very important to me and all but I had to save Yugi first or none of it meant anything.

I grabbed the chain and swung myself across the expanse of the platform. I reached for the key. I strained.

0 seconds left...

The stupid shit above us exploded. Pieces of wood were flying everywhere. I still managed to grab the key just as Yugi and me were dragged into the ocean by the sinking anchor. I swam over to Yugi and shoved the key into the handcuff's keyhole. I felt the click of the lock. Yugi just floated up toward the surface. For once, I was grateful for his shorter and lighter form. Even though he was unconscious, at least he wouldn't drown.

I tried the key on my own handcuff. No such luck. Figured that stupid bastard Malik wouldn't take any chances. I could hold my breath for about a minute and fifteen seconds at best. At least I knew Yugi will be fine. Kaiba'll be there to help him out. It seemed unfair. I didn't want to die yet and certainly not like that.

The lack of oxygen to my brain was making me feel faint. And I was still sinking. I wondered if I'm going to die first from the lack of oxygen or the pressure of the deeper ocean. Stupid Malik... Him and his damn obsession with Yugi and those goddamn God Cards. Stupid Kaiba. Him and his stupid holograms as well as his stupid obsession with the God Cards. What was with everyone and these God Cards? This was all his fault I tried to tell myself. I knew I didn't believe it but it was worth the try. I couldn't hate the guy no matter how hard I tried to. And no, I wasn't thinking straight anymore.

Someone or something grabbed my arm and pulled me close. I tried to see who or what it is but my vision was out of focus. I think it was... Kaiba... Who knew that rich boy would be willing to get wet to save little old me? Maybe it was just my imagination but I'm pretty sure it was the guy. I felt the weight of steel around my wrist vanish. I was free. I have the feeling we were a long way down though. I think I had fallen too far. I...wasn't so sure I was going to make it to the surface. I think he saw that too. I had been underwater for too long.

My savior grabbed my chin and jerked it up. I felt the slight pressure on my lips. I was being kissed. Hell, I was being frenched. My first instinct was to resist but he wouldn't relent. It was kind of nice. No... I felt a bit of oxygen reach my lungs. He was giving me air. I clung to him. I wasn't sure if I had the strength to get out of there. He wrapped his arms around my waist and dragged me back to the surface. I broke the surface of the water and gasped for breath. I was still clinging to him...even as darkness overtook me...

~~~

The woman who had been with Jounouchi paced back and forth across the room. She mumbled something incoherent under her breath and threw the impassive Kaiba, leaning against the wall, a murderous look. Jounouchi was being checked over by the doctor in the next room over. The other Yugi was observing the woman with that tiny little smirk Yugi had seen him wear for years. It usually meant the spirit had something devious in mind.

The other Yugi looked back at Yugi. Do you think she's-

Yugi scowled at his other half. Don't even say it. You know it's not true.

The other Yugi smirked. Whoever she is, she's going to make things interesting around here.

~~~

"Would you stop pacing?" Kaiba snapped. "It's very annoying." The sound of the woman's pacing was beginning to grate on his nerves.

She whirled around and lunged at him. "You fucking bastard."

Kaiba caught her fist but refrained from performing the reverse lock move he was too accustomed to in these situations. It would not go well for him to gravely injure Jounouchi's manager. He suppressed the inevitable growl that rose in his throat. This woman was head-strong, violent, and reckless. Just like Jounouchi. He could see why they were together now.

"You're as reckless as that mutt."

He watched as she only became more enraged at his words. Too easy. Just too easy to rile up and gorge a reaction from. She pulled back and her foot connected with his stomach.

Kaiba released her as his breath came rushing out of him. He clutched his abdomen. Shit. The woman could kick. It wasn't so much as her strength as those pin-heels she wore.

"Sophie! Have you gone mad?! You nearly punctured his stomach!"

Jounouchi came running into the room and pulled the older woman away from Kaiba before she could inflict any further damage.

"The fucker needed to be taught a lesson," she snarled as Kaiba straightened himself. "Better yet, you'll be hearing from our lawyer."

Kaiba smirked. "I'm sure that'll do a lot. Waste both our time, waiting for court dates and arraignment, only to have me pay a compensation I'll be more than able to afford."

"Stop being such an ass, Kaiba." Jounouchi snapped. "You're not helping the situation. You have no idea how unstable this lunatic is."

Sophia turned around and slapped Jounouchi over the head. "Who the hell are you calling unstable?"

"Who else but the raving mad woman standing in the waiting room? For God's sake, Sophia, can't I ever take you anywhere without us ending up in a courtroom? And the property damage! Just let it go for once." Jounouchi rubbed his head.

Sophia sent one last nasty glare at Kaiba and began fussing over Jounouchi instead. She grabbed his arm and dragged him down onto a chair before she attacked the doctor, "What's wrong with him? I know he got punched and all but he shouldn't have fainted like that."

The doctor flipped through his notes. "Joey-san is a bit malnourished and dehydrated. You should get him to eat a healthy meal and make him rest for a few hours. He's overexerting himself like this."

Yugi turned back to Jounouchi. "How do you feel, Jounouchi-kun?"

Jounouchi ran a hand through his messy blond hair. "Frankly, like crap but I'll live."

Sophia bent down and grabbed Jounouchi's earlobe. "I told you to eat something on the plane but would you listen? No!"

"Shit, Sophie, let go, that hurts like hell."

She tugged harder. "You're not getting off so easy. I can't have you fainting during an interview or on camera. Do you have any idea what kind of image that brings?"

"Ok, ok! Just let go of my freaking ear! You have no idea how strong you are."

Sophia snorted and pulled away. "Correction, I know exactly how strong I am and I use it as I see fit."

The doctor chuckled. "Joey-san, you're very lucky to have such a caring girlfriend." He bowed to the group and left them.

Sophia and Jounouchi stared at each other.

Kaiba felt himself stiffen despite himself. He shouldn't care. He really shouldn't. It only confirmed his earlier suspicions though... No, he didn't care at all.

Sophia jumped back and made a disgusted face. "He thinks you and I are... Yuck!"

Jounouchi looked like he was going to throw up. "I hate it when people think that. It's so gross."

Honda's eyes swept between the two of them. He seemed surprised at their violent reaction to the doctor's not-so-subtle implications. "You mean you two aren't-"

"Hell no! I think of Katsuya as my son, that'd be like-"

"Incest." Jounouchi finished with a shiver.

Yugi laughed softly at the two of them. He looked up at Honda. "Couldn't you tell? Jounouchi-kun and Sophia-san are too alike to make a couple. They'd kill each other first."

Sophia snorted and tossed her hair back. "I beg to differ. I'm much more beautiful and elegant than Katsuya."

"Modest, isn't she?" Jounouchi rolled his eyes. "She forgot to mention that she's also violent, doesn't think half the time, perverted, and down-right psychotic. I swear she's bipolar too."

She faked a punch at him before she remembered something. "Katsuya, go get the car in the parking lot," she tossed him the keys. "I have to finish some paperwork first."

Jounouchi caught the keys and twirled the ring of keys around his index finger. "You brought your freaking car to Japan? Haven't you ever heard of traffic congestion before? And when the hell did you find the time to go get it?"

Sophia shrugged. "While you were unconscious. I dropped by the docks and picked it up. Don't look so surprised. Besides, it's for when we're in Domino. Traffic's no worse there than in New York."

Jounouchi jumped to his feet. "I swear you love that car more than me."

She nodded and grinned at him in a sickeningly sweet manner. "Of course, and if I see even one scratch or dent, your ass is grass."

Jounouchi grumbled something inaudible as he spun around on his heels. Kaiba watched as Jounouchi vanished around the corner.

"Are you sure he should be driving in his condition?" Yugi furrowed his brow.

"Don't worry, I just told him to bring the car around. He should be fine." Sophia began digging around the inside of her handbag. "I know I had some business cards around here somewhere. Ah ha! Found them!" she pulled out some cards and shoved one into each men's hand. "Katsuya and I will be in Domino in about another two weeks. We have a lot of things we need to finish up here in Tokyo first. Call me sometime. Maybe, I don't know, we can set up a reunion or party of some sort." She winked.

She glanced at her watch. "Looks like I'll have to cancel tonight's dinner."

The three men in the room stared oddly at her.

"How rude of me, I still haven't introduced myself. Sophia Chang, Katsuya's manager slash agent slash publicist. I hope we'll have an opportunity to work together in the near future."

Kaiba could begin to see why Jounouchi thought this woman was bipolar, or at least, had split personalities.

~~~

Yugi winced at the sound of the argument taking place in his kitchen. He had never thought that Shizuka would react so violently to this turn of events.

"I am not a child, Hiroto!"

"Shizuka-chan, please calm down, please be reasonable."

The conversation on the other side of the door quieted down. Yugi wasn't sure if that was a good sign or not.

"I knew we should have just told her." Anzu muttered under her breath as she paced across the room.

Yugi stood and laid a hand on his wife's forearm. "Sit down, Anzu. You shouldn't be moving around like that. Honda-kun and Shizuka-chan just need some time to work things out. I'm more worried about what Malik-kun will do to Kaiba-kun."

"I know, I know. I think we should have been honest from the start. This is Jounouchi we're talking about. Her brother finally comes home after almost eleven years and she finds out from TV when her fiancé knew all along."

Yugi rubbed soothing circles into the back of Anzu's hand. "Honda-kun was just worried about Shizuka-chan. He wanted to get a straight answer out of Jounouchi-kun before letting Jounouchi-kun see Shizuka-chan. It would have been a great shock to Shizuka-chan either way."

The kitchen door hit the wall with a bang. Shizuka raced past them and out the door without a word.

"Shizuka!" Anzu jumped to her feet.

Yugi pulled Anzu back down to her seat on the couch. He looked toward Honda. "What are you waiting for? Go after her!"

Honda looked away. His fists were clenched tightly at his side. "She's just going to stay with Michi-san."

Anzu shrugged off her husband's hand and approached the other man. "Honda? What happened? Don't just stand there like a lump of rice!"

"I have no right." Honda unfurled his fist. A perfect gold engagement ring lay on his palm.

"She broke off the engagement…"

~~~

"Seto-sama, the head of PR is here to see you."

"Send him in."

Malik strolled into his office as if he owned the place. The other man was comfortable in any part of the building. Kaiba ignored Malik as the Egyptian loosened his tie and sat down at the chair before his desk. He did feel a slight tick in the corner of his left eye when Malik placed his feet up onto his desk.

"Do you mind, Ishtar?"

Malik glared at his employer. "Shut up. I deserve this after the crap you pulled. Do you have any idea what a media circus it has been all morning? I had to fight reporters all the way from the parking lot to my office."

"It's your job."

Malik threw his hands into the air, "I'm beginning to see why the last guy quit."

Kaiba smirked. "It's because you don't inspire any feeling of authority whatsoever."

"Then why did you hire me? I'm this close to quitting right now."

"It was partly at your sister's insistence. You're welcome to go back and work with her in the Antiquities Service." Kaiba raised an eyebrow.

Malik paled slightly at the mention of his sister. "Forget it. I'll take you as boss any day over Isis."

"Good." Kaiba smiled smugly. "I believe an official statement needs to be released about my most inappropriate behavior towards Jounouchi Katsuya. I'll leave that to you."

Malik slapped his forehead. "I hate my life."

~~~

Makoto threw down his light jacket onto his couch. The office had been unusually cold. He had already started to plot the demise of that wretched air conditioner. It certainly didn't help that he originally had low body temperature. The answering machine on the end table next to his sofa was flashing red.

He pressed the button to hear his messages on his way to the kitchen to get a drink.

"You have three unheard messages."

"First unheard message."

Beep.

"…"

"Second unheard message."

Beep.

"…"

"Third unheard message."

Beep.

"…"

Makoto gulped down his glass of water. He glared at his machine. Who the hell kept calling and leaving these waste-of-space messages? He simply deleted them without a second thought. He was just about to go his computer to finish his latest editorial article when his phone rang. He jumped.

Makoto cursed as he picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"…"

He frowned at the mouthpiece. "Come on, I don't have all day."

"…"

"Look, I don't have time for this. Just stop calling and-"

"Makoto, it's me."

He blinked. It was a female voice. Who could be calling him but his co-workers? He certainly didn't have any ex-girlfriends. "Who?"

An exasperated sigh. "Your cousin, genius."

"Cousin?"

"Your only cousin, Mai."

"Mai? We haven't spoken in over fifteen years. Why the hell are you calling me now?"

Silence at first. "You're a reporter right, Makoto? I need to know…"

"Spit it out already!"

"Was that really Jounouchi Katsuya on TV last Saturday?"

~~~

"Where are we going, Sophie?"

Sophia sighed as she drummed her fingers against the steering wheel. "I told you already, a party."

Jounouchi frowned and leaned back in the passenger's seat. "Why do I feel like you're leading me to the gallows?"

"Don't be stupid," she rolled her eyes. "You've been through tons of these parties before. This is a special occasion of sort but that's besides the point. You're the guest of honor so you have to be there."

Jounouchi rolled his eyes. The past two weeks had been hell for him. No matter who interviewed him or what variety show he appeared him, they all insisted on talking and asking about the incident with Kaiba. Like any sane target of the mass media, he had denied any and every type of relationship with the CEO that was out of the ordinary. In fact, he had been tempted numerous times to say he didn't know the other man and what brought on the attack. Sophia, of course, had to point out how flawed that plan was. Anyone who looked up his history would see he attended high school with Kaiba in the same class for three years. Not to mention the many Duel Monsters tournament Jounouchi had participated in along with Kaiba.

He really did hate his manager slash agent slash publicist sometimes. The woman was impossible. She most definitely took the phrase, "any press is good press", to the extreme.

"Oh! Found it!"

She pulled up to the giant black gates. Jounouchi leaned his head over the side of the convertible. It was a big house, a mansion to be precise. He whistled lowly. He didn't even see such a big mansion in Beverly Hills. While Sophia was busy conversing over the intercom system, Jounouchi busied himself but studying the architecture of the mansion. The black gates surrounding the premises did seem very hostile and uninviting though.

The mansion was brightly illuminated. Light shone through most of the high and tall windows of the first floor. He almost expected to be able to hear the sound of music and party conversations this far away but it was quiet. Sophia drove the car up the rounded driveway and stopped at the steps leading up to the front doors. Jounouchi took a deep breath as he gazed at the gothic mansion up close. The dread in the bottom of his stomach would not leave him.

Sophia had already gotten out of the car. She glanced at Jounouchi worriedly with the unspoken question of "are you coming?" hanging in the air between them. Jounouchi shook his head and followed his manager. She pressed the doorbell and they waited for someone to answer the door. Jounouchi found it strange. Usually there was a valet to park your car and the doors should have already been open with someone to greet you.

Sophia offered him her hand. He stared at it for a moment before taking it just as the door opened. A butler dressed in the usual black and white suit greeted them with a bow. He stepped aside and gestured for Jounouchi and Sophia to come in. Jounouchi stared up at the expansive foyer and shook off the feeling he should know where they were.

"If you'll follow me to the dining hall, they're waiting for you."

Jounouchi stared down at the marble floor. His eyes followed the black and white swirls along the way. They stopped in front of another pair of large oak doors. He could hear the sounds beyond the door quiet down. The butler rested his hands on the golden door handles and pulled the doors open.

A sudden blur of auburn rammed into Jounouchi, knocking the wind out of him.

"ONII-CHAN!"

Jounouchi stared down in shock at his little sister with her arms wrapped tightly around his waist. He looked up to meet the smiling gazes of his long-time friends.

~~~

Kaiba rarely lost his patience when it came to his little brother but more and more, it was happening. He tried to ignore the young man that refused to leave him alone. He shifted through another pile of documents as he attempted to block out Mokuba's tirade.

"Nii-sama, come on! Rebecca-chan's not letting me come back without you. She spent so much time and energy planning this party. You could at least just show up for a few minutes before you lock yourself in your study back home." Mokuba whined, sounding very much like his younger self.

Kaiba pushed his bangs out of his eyes. "Mokuba, I have a lot more important things to do right now. This party is the least of my priorities."

Mokuba opened his mouth to continue his protest.

"Enough," Kaiba returned to his typing. "It took me months to break that bastard down. I need to get this deal settled before he changes his mind again. Jounouchi has enough people to welcome him home. Isn't it enough that I've given use of the mansion to your girlfriend already?"

"Would this have something to do with you knocking out Jounouchi on national TV?"

Kaiba shot his brother a wilting glare across the top of his computer screen.

Mokuba threw his hands into the air. "Honestly, Nii-sama! You're always lecturing me on decorum and proper public conduct and then you go out and do shit like this. You're a fucking hypocrite."

"I'm glad you finally noticed."

Mokuba glared at his brother, though his glower was nowhere near as potent. "Come on, think of it as establishing good business ties then. Jounouchi's well on his way to becoming a star. He could be a spokesperson or something. That's always good for sales."

Kaiba simply raised an eyebrow, questioning his little brother with that one action.

Mokuba growled under his breath. "You better come with me or there's going to be a lot of missing documents and misplaced files for the next two months."

Kaiba paused in his typing. "You wouldn't dare."

Mokuba straightened his posture. "Watch me."

"Very well, but let me finish up first." Kaiba sighed.

"Oh no you don't. Now. I'm not letting you stall."

Kaiba saved and closed his applications. He moved as slowly as he could, much to Mokuba's annoyance.

Mokuba furrowed his brow. "I hope you'll behave. Be civil with Jounouchi at least. He's done so much for us already."

Kaiba wondered how his little brother could be so oblivious to his real feelings. Even Rebecca could see, though she didn't care to enlighten her boyfriend.

"Mokuba, don't talk about things you know nothing about."

~~~

"Welcome home, Jounouchi-kun."

The smile on Yugi's face was as endearing as ever. He never realized how much he had missed that smile, Anzu's lectures, and Honda's antics until now. He wrapped his arms around Shizuka and returned the loving embrace.

"I really missed you, Onii-chan. Please don't leave like that again."

Jounouchi felt his throat close up. He shook his head. "I'll try."

Shizuka disentangled herself from his arms. She wiped away the stray tears trailing down her cheeks. "I guess…that's the best answer I can hope for right now."

"Young man, I should ground you for the rest of your life!"

Jounouchi laughed as he swept his mother into a hug. "I missed you too, Okaa-san."

Michi tried to maintain her glower but she found her anger fast fading. "I should skin you alive. Do you have any idea what you put everyone through?" The volume of her voice dropped suddenly. "Do you know what you put Kaiba-san through?"

Jounouchi looked away. He didn't want to think of Kaiba right now. "We'll talk about this later."

As soon as he stepped away from his mother, he was tackled by Anzu.

"You idiot!" She was crying freely now. "Idiot! Idiot! Idiot!"

"You'll have to forgive her. She's been moody because of the baby."

Jounouchi's wide eyes stared at Anzu's bulged abdomen. "Anzu, you're pregnant!"

The tears vanished as quickly as they started. "Thank you for noticing."

"Yugi, you dog!" Jounouchi laughed.

Yugi's face flushed red and he turned away. When he turned to face Jounouchi again, Jounouchi found a pair of red eyes boring into his soul.

"Good to see you're still around, Yami…"

Yami, it was a name Jounouchi had come up with. The former pharaoh had long recovered his memories and name but he felt his former name, Atemu, was no longer fit for him [1]. Yami, that was the name he answered to in his present incarnation.

Jounouchi had to smile at the sarcasm in Yami's voice. "I am dead, I'm not going anywhere."

"Alright, Pharaoh! Stop hogging the pup!"

Jounouchi groaned. "You just had to be here. It was just starting to look like a good night as well."

Malik appeared slightly miffed as he leaned in to nuzzle Bakura's neck. "I just wanted to greet everyone's favorite pup."

"It's good to see you, Jounouchi-kun." Bakura rolled his eyes at his boyfriend and swatted Malik.

Jounouchi smothered his laughter. "About time you two got together. You could cut that sexual tension with a knife."

Malik gasped as an amused light danced in his lavender eyes. "I had no idea you had a penchant for pain in bed!"

Honda appeared at Jounouchi's side and steered the blonde away from the couple. "Careful there. Better to leave the mental patient to his doctor."

Malik stuck his tongue out. "Oh, I intend to play 'doctor' alright."

"Malik!"

Laughter rang through the room.

Jounouchi shook his head. "Strange as it seems, I'm glad he hasn't changed." He turned his attention to the large dining hall. Honda was leading him over to a table set with food and drinks. "This place is huge. Don't tell me one of you actually owns this place."

"Actually, it's Kaiba's."

Why did it always come back to Kaiba in the end?

Jounouchi stared at Honda. "How'd you convince him to let you use his place?"

"He didn't. Mokuba did."

Jounouchi stared at the young woman who had suddenly stepped into his path. She looked familiar but he couldn't recall her name. "Who are you?"

"I see your pea-sized brain has not grown in the past decade." She said with a slight expression of disgust.

Realization stuck Jounouchi. "Good to see you too," then he added for extra measure, "Brat."

Honda shook his head. "If we're unlucky enough, she'll be a Kaiba brat soon too."

"Speaking of which, where is Mokuba?" Rebecca Hopkins muttered. "I didn't send him on an impossible task." She vanished into a backroom.

"Aren't you going to say hello, Jounouchi?"

Jounouchi whirled around at the sound of his name. His eyes swept up and down the womanly figure. Kujaku Mai was just as he remembered.

"Mai…"

~To Be Continued~

I've still got sand in my shoes and I can't shake the thought of you
I should get on, forget you but why would I want to
I know we said goodbye, anything else would have been confused
But I want to see you again
- "Sand In My Shoe" by Dido


[1] That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Yami Yugi's true name from his days as the Pharaoh is Atemu. Eh... I'm not so hot on the name anyway. I still like Merysi better.