Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Lady of Dragons ❯ Bowen, Dragon Slayer ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Editor's note: Once again, some cards used in this chapter may not function precisely the same as they do in the real game.  We claim creative license.

"Once upon a time, there were no dragons.  At least, not in books for grown-ups."

- Charles Platt, "In Defense of the Real World", IASFM, November 1983

VS.

"There were dragons before there was literature, and magic before there was religion."

- Piers Anthony, "In Defense of Fantasy", IASFM, December 1983
 
CHAPTER ELEVEN: BOWEN
DRAGONSLAYER

The next day, the gift shop of the Domino Museum looked more like a zoo. Derik was obviously getting restless. "Mom, why did you have to drag me along?"

Tea was too preoccupied at the moment to answer, but thankfully, Mai came to the rescue. "Because we don't want you dueling alone, OK?" she said.

Derik was fuming. Tomorrow was the last day to possibly get the few locator cards he needed for the finals, and he was stuck in a gift shop trying to find a present for the mother of his rival for the year. Both the Wheelers and the Motohs had decided on a trip to the museum for the day. Derik had jumped at the chance to get out and about for a duel, but with so few participants left, he was having a hard time finding anyone, and being stuck shopping wasn't about to help.

Tea finally found what she needed, and Mai pitched in for the gift. Yugi had taken the checkbook when he went to go ask Kaiba what Ishizu wanted. Peculiarly, he had never called her with the answer.

Tea took the opportunity to remember how sad Ishizu sounded on the phone. She let a tear slip as she remembered that; Ishizu knew as well as she did that something could happen to anyone this year.

Mai nudged her on the shoulder. "Come on, Isabelle is getting hungry and the shower is in half an hour." She gestured to the girl starting to wake up in the stroller; Mai was having a hard time maneuvering the wheeled contraption.

Derik took the opportunity to ask something that was on his mind. "Why don't you use a bottle instead of breast feeding her?"

Mai blushed slightly, but Tea came to the rescue, thinking it couldn't be as bad as the "Where do babies come from?" question that he had asked at three. "Breast milk has the best food for babies, honey," she answered simply. Not wanting to continue the conversation any further, and as they were at the front of the checkout line anyway, the blushing mother turned to the cashier.

What caught Derik's eye, in the meantime, was another person behind the counter. "Isis?"

The girl smiled and came over for a chat. "Hey, Derik. Locator cards already in hand, I'll bet," she said, smirking.

Derik took a keen interest in his feet. "No, not yet."

Isis bit her lip in thought, and then tugged at his arm. "I know where we can find the rest of them before the day's over, if we're lucky."

Derik was surprised to hear that she wasn't finished either. "Sure, but by the way... why are you here?" he asked.

Isis groaned. "My mom owns the museum and she wants me to help out. Pays well, though," she admitted.

Tea overheard the whole thing, and with her shopping done and not being interested in more embarrassment, jumped in with her permission. "But keep together, though," Tea, warned.

The warning was met with a simultaneous "We will," and both children were off.

Squeezing through with the bag and stroller, Mai put a hand on Tea's shoulder. "We had better go if we don't want to be late."

Tea nodded. "Do you think this is okay?" she asked.

Mai smiled at that, but didn't actually look at Tea as she replied, "Oh, sure. If these Order people show up, the worst that they lose is a spot in the finals, right?"

Tea thought it better not to answer that question, but responded with a new one. "Should we really leave Peter and Joey walking around the museum here?"

Mai clumsily got through the door and beckoned for Tea to follow. "Honey, nothing could possibly go wrong."

0000000

"What's wrong with this map?" Joey wondered out loud. "Don't they have a john anywhere in this place?"

Peter held his eyes with his hand. Why was his dad so embarrassing at times? "Dad, I think you're covering it with your finger," he said sheepishly.

Joey almost blushed, but regained his composure long enough to smile. "OK. Sure. Tell you what, as soon as I use it, we'll go home - how does that sound?" Peter was not quite ready to leave, but agreed. Joey noticed his reluctance, though. "You want to stay out here for a second?"

"Yeah, this Duel Monsters display is awesome," Peter answered.

Joey nodded, and went through the door...

...just as a sharp spear slammed it shut, right through the doorknob, locking the father inside. Joey let out a scream inside, but the boy could not let out if it was in fear or surprise.
 
Peter swung his head around in a split second, just in time to see a man jump down from the giant shark of a Legendary Fisherman display suspended from the ceiling.

Lost in fear, Peter didn't register his father's cries from behind the men's room door, but his first impression of the new arrival was that it was not a young man. He reminded Peter of the Marauding Captain that he had faced just a few days ago: past his prime, but not by much. The attacker was dressed in full armor, leading him to wonder if it was the man's property, or a "borrowed" exhibit from the museum.
 
His voice, however, was slightly cracking. It seemed to Peter that he was trying to imitate a gruff knight voice, but failing miserably. "Are you the son of Wheeler, the one to challenge the darkness, Seskera?" the man intoned.

Peter blinked twice to make sure he was seeing correctly, and replied smugly, "Are you an escapee from a renaissance fair?"

The armored man snorted and said, "Bowen is the name, actually. I was hoping to run into you."

"Hey, you wood-throwing attack dog, get me out of here!" called a very annoyed Joey from inside the bathroom.

"Fat chance," Bowen responded. "I take pride in my skill. That door won't come open unless I pull it out myself. And as an extra precaution, we have jammed all electronic systems in the building. No alarms, no phone calls for help, and no chance of escape."

"Why you buh-" was Joey's angry reply, before Peter heard his father slump to the floor.

Peter weighed his options before he caught the glint of an all too familiar symbol. A silver eye had been carved into the breastplate of Bowen's armor, and the sight of it made Peter's blood run cold. Once again, family was in danger, and before he knew it, the words were out of his mouth: "I challenge you to a duel, and if I win you let us go without a fight."

Bowen wiped the oily hair from his forehead to the side. "I hoped for nothing less."

Twin rockets burst into the ceiling, their ends opening to look like spotlights. Peter looked again to see that they had come from an old Duel Disk that was attached to Bowen's arm. This one, the 4.0, was relatively simple. It was just a flat, black surface with colored markings for easy placement.
 
Peter slipped his own deck into place, sending his own disk into motion.

"Now let's begin!" Bowen shouted.

B-8000 P-8000

"I'm going first," Bowen decreed. "And I play the magic card Scapegoat, and set two cards on the field in addition to that."
 
True to the magic card's name, four cute and furry goat tokens trotted onto the field. As any duelist knew, though, they only existed to leave the field in some way, shape, or form.

Peter drew his card, but then turned his head as he saw red gather around the bottom of the bathroom door. "What did you do to my dad?" Peter yelled in a fit of rage.

Bowen closed his eyes and relished in the probable truth. "I told you I take pride in my skill. With my aim, that spear probably severed your daddy's poor, pitiful arm." Turning serious, Bowen answered again as Peter's eyes burned into him. "Come on, kid, I follow orders. I hunt what I am assigned. End of story."

Peter was suddenly aware of the still-healing scars on his face. Hate was forcefully emerging. But there was time for that later; right now, he needed to concentrate on the duel. "I summon Spear Dragon in Attack Mode!” Peter yelled. “Let's see if your goats can handle this!" (1900/0) Peter had never been this hotheaded before, diving into an assault. "Spear Dragon, attack!"
 
Peter grinned as he made the order. With the goat tokens' Defense Points at zero, Bowen would be taking a huge hit.

Just as the dragon prepared to fire, Bowen flipped over a card on his disk. "I activate Regulation of Tribe," he declared. "I name a type of monster, and that type can not attack while this card is in play - and, of course, I choose Dragon."

A holographic gate was erected between the two duelists, guarded by a medieval executioner. The sturdy wooden walls blocked the great wind being generated as the dragon's attack was effectively canceled.

"If you have nothing else, I believe it is my move," Bowen stated with a touch of glee.

Peter nodded, and sighed in annoyance.  He was just glad that his monster hadn't switched to Defense Mode.

Bowen drew a fourth card before remembering something. "Of course, I need to tribute a monster in order to keep Regulation of the Tribe in play."  The Ammitite grinned and added, "Lucky for me that my goats can help me with that."
 
The brutish executioner took a small hatchet at his side before cleaving a goat in half.

Peter shuddered, once again remembering the horror of his last duel against a member of this group.

Bowen searched through his hand and summoned another monster. 'I bring forth the Dragon Zombie in Attack Mode." (1600/0)

This was getting bizarre for Peter. Did this duelist have some strategy with zero defense point monsters?  Peter soon realized that the monster had not been summoned for defense.

 "I also activate another facedown card, Rush Recklessly," the Ammitite continued. The card flipped face up before releasing dark energy in the shape of an angry boar. The power flooded over the grotesque zombie, reinforcing its attack power by 700.  (1600/0 - 2300/0)  "Zombie, attack," Bowen commanded simply.

The dragon willingly obeyed, and spat its acidic breath. The Spear Dragon practically melted in midair.

Peter needed a plan and he knew it as a sixth card was added to his hand. Desperate, he summoned another monster. "I counter with Grey Wing in Attack Mode. And I'll reinforce it with the Dragon Treasure." (1600/1000) Peter knew that he still couldn't attack, but at least he had a monster to work with. Almost forgetting, Peter also set a card for later.

Bowen wasn't distracted in the slightest as his turn came around, and he drew a card bringing his hand to four. "You think that you can win with a tie in attack power?" he questioned. "First rule of the hunt: always have something stronger then your prey."

Another goat was literally axed during the speech.

Bowen didn't seem to notice the Scapegoat's death, busy as he was summoning another monster. "I summon The Hunter with 7 Weapons in Attack Mode." (1000/600)

Peter was beginning to catch on. Bowen was using an anti-dragon deck...  He gulped.

Bowen smirked and explained, "My hunter gains 1000 Attack Points against any type of monster that I declare when he is summoned. Once again, dragon it is." The hunter pulled a particularly sharp knife out of a sheath on his back. As Peter watched in horror, the blade morphed again - Bowen had made another modification. "I have also used the Sword of Dragons Soul," the would-be knight continued, "to not only give my monster a 700-point power boost, but the effect of this card automatically destroys any dragon that my hunter meets in battle."

Peter braced himself for the assault he knew would come. Luckily, he thought, turnabout is fair play.

Bowen grinned in anticipation, and finally yelled the command, "'Hunter with 7 Weapons, Specialized Blade Strike!"

Peter tried his best to look helpless, but he couldn't help a snicker as he triggered his facedown card. "Activate Dragon's Tribe," he declared, "effectively shutting down your assault!"

Even as the Hunter with 7 Weapons charged across the field, he and all the other monsters Bowen had sprouted wings and scales.  The features quickly began to fade, but they lasted long enough for the wooden gate of Regulation of Tribe to slam shut.

Bowen could only look on in disgust as his own card was turned against him. As the Sword of Dragons Soul shattered, he couldn't help a sigh - only a Warrior-type could wield it.

Peter drew up to a hand of four. It was a decent start, at the least. "I use Pot of Greed," Peter declared as two new cards were drawn. "Then I summon Spirit Ryu!" (1000/1000)

The slinky blue dragon was altogether gentle-looking to Bowen, who began laughing. "Sad, really. Even if you wanted to attack with that pipsqueak of a monster, my Regulation trap card wouldn't let you."

Peter grinned. "That's where you're wrong!" he stated.  "I use the power of Stamping Destruction to shatter that gate, as well as damage your Life Points."

A great claw dropped from the sky and crushed the sturdy gate to splinters. A slight aftershock knocked Bowen back a few feet, with his Life Points taking the blow.

B-7500 P-8000

Peter wasn't finished, though. "With your trap gone, both of my monsters can use their special abilities. I discard Cave Dragon to activate Gray Wing's effect to attack twice, and destroy your remaining Scapegoats!"

The dragon hissed as both wings shone with white light. It then dove right between the two monsters, using its empowered wings to slice them both in half.

"Next," Peter continued, "I discard Luster Dragon #2 and Tyrant Dragon to raise the attack power of Spirit Ryu by 1000 points each. Even with the ability of your 'Hunter with 7 Weapons', your monster is doomed!"

Life energy spread through out the dragon's body, creating a deadly vortex of power and sending the warrior to oblivion.

B-6500 P-8000

Peter looked on in satisfaction as he played his final card. "Last but not least is the magic card Super Rejuvenation, letting me draw a card for each dragon I've sacrificed, and that means three!"

Bowen was beginning to sweat now. Those cards could easily be used to power up Peter's monsters again. He drew his card with anticipation, and found it to his liking. "You have not destroyed all of my monsters," Bowen reminded Peter, motioning to his Dragon Zombie. "And I still have enough to sacrifice for this, the Dragon Seeker!" (2000/2100)

The zombie melted into nothing but ooze and bones, and its wreckage drew together and became a large, ugly demon.  The new creature roared once before spitting a high-pressure stream of acid across the field. Peter gawked as his Spirit Ryu melted like a sugar cube before him.

Bowen laughed and explained, “When summoned, my monster destroys any dragon, and in this case two, once my beast attacks!"
 
0000000
 
In the tournament headquarters, Seto Kaiba was not in the best of moods. He had spent all day thinking about Yugi's words, and trying to figure out what had changed his mind about magic.
 
You know what it was, Kaiba scolded himself. That maniac with the key.  Well, if he thinks that he can just waltz into my head and expect me to figure out...

"Sir, we have unusual tournament activity," one of the tracking staff interrupted.

Kaiba snapped back to reality and pretended to be interested. "What is it?"

The tracker hit a key, bringing up the offending screen. "According to the scanners, there are an odd number of Duel Disks active."

Kaiba thought this was strange indeed. Obviously all duels needed two duelists; it had to be a fluke. "It's probably nothing," the company president replied, "some kid who didn't shut it down correctly."

"That may be so, sir," the tracker replied, "but how do you explain the life point change?"

Kaiba looked at the screen just in time to see the score change. His heart stood still. "Whose is it? My daughter's?" Kaiba stammered.

"No sir, the duelist goes by the name of Wheeler," the tracker replied.
 
Kaiba relaxed, but only slightly.
 
In an attempt to calm his boss down, the tracker announced, "He is dueling at your wife's museum, Mr. Kaiba."

Kaiba was not amused. "I'm going over there. Someone is making a monkey out of me, and I want to find out whom."

0000000

With a loud roar, the Dragon Seeker brought down its claw, rending the "Grey Wing" in half.

B-6500 P-7300

Peter was in for it now. That Dragon Seeker had taken out the last monster he had. Luck was needed on this draw; thankfully, luck was one thing that the Wheeler family had plenty of.
 
The new monster was good, but not good enough, and Peter sweated as he set the card. "Turn's over, your move."

Bowen looked on, feeding on the child's desperation, thinking he could smell his fear. Bowen loved it as he brought his hand to three once again. "I set a monster in Defense Mode and lay a card facedown. Now, Dragon Seeker, attack the hidden monster!"
 
The monster swiped its ferocious claws at the monster, only to have it stopped by a large rock formation. (1300/2000)

The Dragon Dwelling in the Cave was a proud sight to behold, and Peter was most grateful as the monster shielded him from damage.

Bowen was seething as he passed control to his opponent.

The move was most welcome indeed. "I now tribute my monster to bring out my favorite creature of them all. Dragon Dwelling in the Cave," Peter commanded as the monster shattered along with its home, "I sacrifice you to summon Luster Dragon." (2400/1400)
 
Glistening green, the dragon was a ferocious sight to Bowen's eyes. Even his Seeker would not hold out for long.
 
Peter ordered, "Dragon, attack with Emerald Shards!"

The slayer demon couldn't take the blow, and was torn to pieces by the barrage of sharp crystal.

B-6100 P-7300

Studying his cards, Bowen laughed, his armor shaking. The boy would not know what hit him. "You may be good, boy, but you have one flaw, or should I say one monster, which I can easily control with this!" Bowen flipped the monster into view. "It's called the Dragon Manipulator (700/800), and with it, I can take over any dragon my opponent has."

The words had little time to sink in before the knight atop his dragon steed wrapped a chain around the neck of Peter's Luster Dragon.
 
Peter thought he was just in for a direct attack, but Bowen held up the card that he had just drawn.

"Now," the Ammitite stated, "I tribute the monsters to summon a monster that you should be quite familiar with. Peter Wheeler, meet the Buster Blader!" (2600/2200)

The two monsters vanished, leaving behind the bane of the dragon duelist in their wake. The warrior closed its eyes, and it glowed as it drew power from Peter's dragons, raising its attack power to 6600.

Bowen grinned, and then laughed hysterically, only pausing to shout, "I'm just doing my job; it's not my fault if I love it! Blader, attack!"
 
The boy winced as the giant sword smashed through him, his life points taking an all-out dive.

B-6100 P-700

Peter cringed as he drew his hand to five; he didn't seem to mind what he got, though. "I play Monster Reborn to revive my Spirit Ryu, and use Polymerization to fuse it with my Warrior Dai Grepher to summon the Ryu Senshi." (2000/1700)
 
The Spirit Ryu turned to smoke and engulfed the warrior; when the smoke cleared, the warrior wore purple armor and bore a double-bladed weapon.

Bowen gawked - a monster that weak couldn't possibly take on his Buster Blader!

Peter finished, "Now I set two cards and end my turn."

Bowen didn't know what the kid was playing at, but it was all well and good to him. His eyes went wide, and he shouted in triumph as he played the card, "I now summon the monster known as Tribe Infecting Virus, in attack mode! (1600/1300)  Next, I use its special ability to destroy all monsters on the field of a certain type. I discard a Dragon Capture Jar from my hand to do so. Now Virus, destroy all warriors in play!"

A cloud of disease particles filled the air, and then streamed out into the Buster Blader and Ryu Senshi.  Both of the monsters seemed to melt away, leaving the virus alone on the field.

Peter held out for one last, desperate move. "I trigger my two facedown cards - Rope of Life, and Last Turn!" He looked smug as his Luster Dragon once again took the field with the added bonus of 800 extra Attack Points. Peter had to discard what was left of his hand, but it was well worth it.

Bowen was not expecting this, but refused to be outdone. "That card lets me use any monster in my deck to battle yours?" he questioned.

Peter nodded in reply.

Bowen grinned a smile that only a villain should use as he quickly flipped through his deck. "My other Buster Blader it is, then."
 
The warrior was poised to strike; but suddenly, it staggered, and its armor began to melt.
 
"What's happening?" Bowen screeched, his voice raising an octave.

"Simple," Peter explained. "Let me tell you a few things about chaining moves.  I activated my traps before the effect of your Virus resolved. And what type of monster was it set to destroy?"

Bowen paled as he realized he had just thrown away the match.  One word escaped his lips. "Warrior."

As if on cue, the molten goop that was once the Buster Blader burst into triangles and the Luster Dragon roared in victory.

"With no monster to defend you," Peter shouted, “Last Turn declares me the winner!  Now, set my father free!"

Bowen sank to his knees as footsteps were heard in the hall. Kaiba had just rounded the corner in time to see the impressive play.

Peter sighed in relief as he saw him approach, but then ran up and called, "Help, my dad is trapped in the bathroom and he could be hurt!"

Kaiba stifled a grunt as he examined the door, and the red stain seeping from under it. "If we need to remodel these, he will be," he said in a tone that made it impossible to tell if he was serious.
 
Despite Bowen's boasting, Kaiba was able to remove the spear with barely a tug.

Peter was relieved to see that Joey's arm was very much attached. The surprise had just caused him to fall forwards and smack his head on the tile floor. His head was bleeding, and he was still unconscious, but he would be in good condition - if angry - and up and about in time for the finals.

The finals, Peter remembered. He strolled up to his opponent.

Bowen was staring in shock at his intended victim. "I missed..." he breathed, "I never miss." As soon as the words were out of his mouth, he joined the many souls in bondage and slumped to the floor.

"Don't you ever have an original thought?" Peter wondered out loud, before grabbing the last of his locator cards. His eyes flicked through the cards his opponent was carrying.

One card caught his eye, taking his breath away. It was a real Five God Dragon - almost impossible to find, and Peter was a duelist that might be able to pull off the difficult fusion.  The question of what an anti-dragon duelist was doing with a card like that didn't occur to him - he chalked it up to ego.

Peter drew his attention back to his father in time to see him groggy, but awake with Kaiba helping him to his feet.

Kaiba finally spoke up again. "What were you guys doing here anyway?"

Joey answered that one. "We were just heading out to the baby shower."

Kaiba stopped being Joey's crutch and dropped him to the ground. "Sheesh, your wife just had one, Wheeler!  Slow it down a little..." Then he stormed off, cursing himself for wasting his time coming down here.

Joey smiled as he closed his eyes and fell asleep again. How dense can a guy be?

00000000

Seskera had finished sacrificing another batch of soul cards, amid them Bowen's Dragon Piper, and was preparing for his usual stroll in public.

Odion managed to catch him as he was heading out the door of their warehouse hideout. "Sir, I believe that Bowen was the last of our duelists. All of the others are out with Stage Two, and they have no dueling skill to begin with," he said, worried.

"Don't worry about it, Odion. I have to do what most businesses do nowadays: go digital." The leader of the Ammitites smirked a bit before continuing, "In the meantime, progress report on Stage Two, if you please."

Odion cleared his throat. "Two points have been fully charged; a third is about a quarter full."

Seskera cursed under his breath. "I should have known better than to rush. All five points need to be secured by the time I'm on that blimp."

Odion nodded, as if he understood all of this.

Seskera once again touched over the sensitive lightning burn on his shoulder, a personal matter occurring to him. "A physical remnant of Shadow Magic always leaves the victim with the potential to control it. I have said before that I am destined to harness that potential..." He paused, hand on his chin in worry. "If that Wheeler boy knew what he may be capable of..." He paused again.

Odion tried to comfort his master, intoning, "Hasker was not only a traitor; he was a traitorous fool."

Seskera only flicked his hand, knocking Odion into the wall across the room.

Odion was more shocked than in pain, and he couldn't help wondering why it didn't hurt.

Seskera cooled down a bit from the release in energy and began to ramble once more. "When those five points are taken, I can use the Claw of Typhonis to hook onto them and pull space itself until the shadows are breached, but I need those points captured." The leader of the Order looked deep in thought, before remembering one last thing. "Odion, be sure to bring this man into my company as soon as possible," he finished, handing over a sheet of paper.

Odion looked at the description handed to him. "This man is in prison, sir," he stated simply, as if Seskera didn't know.

"Was," the leader rasped.
 
With that, Seskera stormed out onto the street, leaving Odion once again alone.

0000000

Seto Kaiba was in a bad mood to begin with, and coming home to a gathering of loud, unexpected party guests did not help this at all.  At the top of his lungs, he shouted, "What the hell are you all doing in my house?!?"

The noise stopped, and everyone went dead silent for a moment.  But then Ishizu stepped forward, looked her husband in the eye, and said two words, loud and clear: "I'm pregnant."

It took a moment before the words sank into Seto Kaiba's mind, but when they did, he did something no one saw coming, something that confused and slightly frightened most of the partiers.

He grinned, and then broke into joyful laughter.

Bonus points if you caught all of Bowen's borrowed quotes.
 
Coming next chapter: How much has virtual technology improved in fifteen years?  Derik and Isis are about to get firsthand looks at it, as they enter the Virtual Dueling Hall.  Derik finds himself in a duel against an opponent he knows all too well.  I'm not giving you the title for the next chapter, because this one's going to be a bit of a surprise!