Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Lady of Dragons ❯ GREED, Digital Eliminator ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image."

- Stephen Hawking
 
 
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: GREED
DIGITAL INTRUDER

"So, will we meet up in the Virtual World?" Derik asked as the VR gear slid into place over his head.

"I don't think so," Isis told him. "The program sends those who access it into random locations."
 
It briefly occurred to Isis that it was peculiar that he would ask such a thing. Isis, for one, was glad that the boy would not have the opportunity to pick up on her style. Not that it mattered much with the virtual rules, anyway...

"In that case," Derik replied as the pod closed over him, “see you once I'm in the finals..."

Isis felt her fear kick in as her own pod shut over her head. She was able to shake it off by concentrating on the one thought going through her mind: Fat chance.
 
With that, the web-like tunnel to the virtual world was open to her, leaving the Kaiba daughter's physical body behind.

0000000

Unlike many of the other duelists who were first timers here, Isis knew the ropes quite well and landed cleanly on her feet, with just a bounce of pressure.
 
She briefly recalled the first time she had been used as a key tester for the system. It had ended up with her falling headfirst into the sand, leaving her digital skirt in a less than decent position. Seto kept a keen eye on whether or not his programmers followed his specifications after that (and fired a large group of his programmers after he found them giggling about the incident by the water cooler the next day.)

The girl stopped her trip down memory lane, and took in her surroundings. She found herself in a lush jungle habitat.
 
"Easily fixed," she said aloud to no one before using one of the system's command codes to slightly bend the rules in her favor. "Tatsunootoshigo."
 
Kaiba had chosen that command because no one in his or her right mind would use that monster in any way, shape or form. Not to mention the name was nearly impossible to pronounce.

On cue, a virtual doorway just her size swelled from the base of the nearest tree. Before entering, Isis thought through the list of possible cards she would gain as a prize and considered her database of opponents. She already had access to a monster with one of the highest attack powers in the game, so what could she possibly need?

"Second highest, duh," she said again to no one. "Okay, let me think... Gate Guardian is the next best thing to my Ultimate Dragon, so what I need is an opponent to get it. Of course," she muttered, mentally slapping herself. "Activate portal to program PARADOX."

The door opened to reveal a small room that was just large enough to hold the light pink marble square within it. On the dark opposite wall, a flickering screen held the image of the blue-haired boy, about twelve years of age, who began to explain the rules.

Never one to waste time, Isis stated her name. The computer would surely recognize that she knew more then it did about the regulations of the tournament. "Isis Kaiba."
 
The command code shut off the screen in an instant.
 
“That's better,” the girl mumbled as she stepped into the dark room.

The door shut behind Isis, leaving the girl in a state of panic for a moment before an eerie green light illuminated the chamber. Instead of being reassured, Isis became uncharacteristically frantic. Not uttering a sound, her back hugged the wall as her face gave away her terror to her non-existent company. This was not part of the program.

The room began to plummet faster than any elevator that Isis had ever been on, and that was a lot if you considered her background. Still hugging the wall, Isis's young ears picked up on a conversation that seemed to be coming from the walls themselves.

"We've spent all day waiting on your little toy, Underwood.  Are you sure that this is working?"  The voice sounded impatient, male, and had a hint of ice that Isis had never known.

A second voice, with an unnatural spit of his S's, responded. "I'm positive. I've worked with bugs, computer or otherwise, all of my life. In fact, I think my dueling computer virus is picking up a sucker right now!"

Isis's face wrinkled at the voice. It sounded like what you would expect the voice of a locust to sound like.
 
Or a beetle, Isis thought as the room sped up further, dropping like a stone.

"And it is set exactly to my specifications, then?" the first voice questioned.

"Of course, Seskera," was the response, simultaneous with the door opening and Isis stepping out of the closed room.

One look at this, and only one sentence could exit the girl's mouth. "I'm not in Kaibaland anymore, am I?"

It was definitely not a Kaibacorp-created environment, that was for sure. The same green, foggy light that had illuminated the transport room bathed a chamber so large that it would be impossible to build in the physical realm. The light was coming from thin lines set in a criss-cross formation on all sides of the room. The walls and floor seemed navy blue to the young girl's eyes, but with the odd lighting, it was impossible to tell. The ceiling was nowhere in sight. Standing at the center was a convex pillar, neatly decorated with patterns of various blues and greens.

The ever-impatient Isis finally decided to put her foot down, and hoped that the mysterious voices could hear her. "All right. Is anyone going to tell me what is going on here, or do I need to take a number?"

Answering her call was not a voice at first, but a glaring red light that stung her eyes. When Isis caught her balance, she realized that it was coming from the top of the pillar in two strong searchlights. A speaker in the virtual column near the base flickered to life with the sound of annoying laughter from both of Isis's captors. 

"Well, well," the icy voice admired silkily. "I had hoped that the last straggler with the final locator cards would show up here, but I never thought it would be you."

Isis now understood that this had not been a personal grudge after all; she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

With a hiss, the second voice spoke up. “Cut the chit-chat. Six finalists have already been chosen, and we need this girl's cards to enter.”

Isis could almost hear the sudden pang of silence and got the distinct impression that she did not want to know what had happened to stop the man's outburst. She finally broke through the distraction, stating, “If you can even get those cards to me from wherever you are, I assume you want a virtual duel. I accept the challenge!  So whoever it is, get down here so I can beat you so bad, you won't know Mirror Force from Insect Queen!”

Twin snickers echoed through the chamber before coming to a creepily sudden stop. The apparent boss took an elegant tone as he spoke next. "Little girl, we are not dueling anyone. In fact, the opponent we set up for you should be arriving any moment now. We just get to watch the fun."

Isis picked up what he meant as portions of the large pillar began to move. Isis shuffled backwards as she realized that it was not just around for decoration, it was an enormous representation of the Pot of Greed, wearing the trademark sickening grin and staring with blood-red eyes.

"Isis, I want to introduce you to someone before I go,” the crackly voice concluded. “My Goblin/Regeneration Expert Electronic Duelist."

“GREED,” Isis whispered, now staring down the physically largest duelist she had ever faced.

"Greed is good," replied the voice of the chilling man, just before Isis heard the click of the com-link, leaving her alone to face this monster.

Suddenly, the image of her opponent blurred before Isis's eyes. It took her a moment to realize that she had been focusing past a revolving screen of dueling cards.

The virus simply waited as Isis gathered her courage and moved her fingers with incredible speed while choosing her weapons. Isis quietly talked to herself, following her old habit, while selecting the contents of her deck. "Let's see. One of each card... That throws my Gradius combo out the window. No tricks this time, I just need to go with a hard hitting light-beatdown and hope for the best."

After her deck was chosen, a screen of five cards floated into the girl's hand. Isis groaned. It figured that she would go second.

There was a pause, and then one word flashed in the air between them.  It was, simply, DUEL.

G-8000 I-8000

Isis took the opening move as, thankfully, a sixth holographic card shimmered into play on her right. "I open with one card in Defense Mode," she began, "and I leave it at that for now."

A sixth card of its own faded into existence on the virus's right side. It summoned a monster of its own with a deep tiki-like voice. "Two cards facedown, Giant Orc in attack mode." (2200/0) An ugly, brutish troll took the field, swinging a large club over his head.

"Attack," the pot said simply as the monster lumbered over to Isis's field and swung at her hidden monster. The creature flashed into being for all but a moment before scattering particles all over the arena. (1400/1100)

Isis grabbed for her deck in a flash, finding a monster to summon with her Shining Angel's effect. The halo left by the fallen monster expanded, filling into the form of her monster, the Senju of the Thousand Hands. (1400/1000) Isis was kind of disappointed that the effect to bring a Ritual Monster to her hand was invalid, but at least the stage was set for her next move.

The gray ogre tried to pick up the splinters of his shattered club, which had broken in the assault.  Giving up, he plopped onto the ground, switching to defense.

Isis thought for only a moment as she drew her own sixth card. Those crimson eyes gave no hint of emotion that she fed on while preparing her dueling strategy. Still, she had a play all picked out. “Listen pal, I don't care if you or your buddies understand what I'm saying, but I have no intention of losing to an overgrown coffee mug with clown make-up, especially with a spot in the finals on the line!  So, ready or not, here I come!"

0000000

"What do you think we should name it?" As he said those words, Seto Kaiba was already a dopey shadow of his former self. The guests were thoroughly enjoying the party, but the couple of honor were sitting and cuddling closely at the base of a stairwell.

Ishizu kept a firm tone. "Seto, I'm not even four weeks along yet and you're thinking about names? A lot can happen in the first few months, so this baby isn't even a guarantee yet."

Kaiba looked at her confused. "Only four? That's not even time to notice..." 
 
Ishizu closed her eyes and gently touched the golden necklace around her throat.
 
Kaiba snorted; having a spouse who could tell the future could be a real drag. Inspiration hit him then, however. "If you use that thing, can't you see the entire finals before they happen?"

The woman shook her head. "My necklace only sees what happens if events continue as they are. Unexpected events change the course of my visions. You of all people should know that."

Seto nodded in agreement. Yes, he answered the question of Shadi and Yugi together.

Ishizu wiped a tear from her eye. Although it fooled everyone, it was not a tear of joy. If the latest revelations of her necklace came to pass, the next prediction she made could be her last...
 
"It will be a boy," she told her husband, burying her head in his shoulder.

Kaiba rubbed his hand across the bare back of his wife's open dress, letting his fingers trace over the scars. She, like many of the Tomb Keepers, had her own ritual tattoos. Hers were not the same as her brothers's, though. Females had different duties and a different ritual, but both genders were needed.

"Let's let Isis name him," Kaiba started before Ishizu cut him off.

"I already know," she told him. "Kuraio."

"Kuraio," Kaiba repeated. He liked it.

0000000

Inside the virtual world, Isis had no clue about her impeding sibling - all her concentration was focused on the opposing virus.

The girl announced, "I sacrifice my monster to summon the Airknight Parshath, and set a card facedown." (1900/1400)
 
The many-armed tiki faded, bringing forth a formidable-looking centaur with shining wings and holy armor.
 
Isis gazed at her monster, one of the few Light single-tribute monsters worth using. "Now, with my monster's special ability to inflict defense damage to your Life Points, I can destroy your Orc with ease. Just to be safe, however, I remove my two monsters to summon the Soul of Purity and Light in defense mode." (2000/1800)
 
Isis kept her focus and didn't even bother watching her fairy form at her side. “Parshath, attack with Holy Excalibur Strike!”
 
The creature firmly gripped his winged-hilted sword, focusing his power until the blade radiated a pink, shimmering light.

Isis's opponent let loose a bellowing laugh that rang hideously in the girl's ears. "Activate trap, Final Attack Orders." The low tone of a horn beckoned the monsters to their feet, switching them all to attack mode.

In a quick action, Isis's Soul quickly cast a shining halo around the Orc's menacing club. Isis watched as the effect of her monster took hold, weakening it by three hundred attack points. It wasn't enough, though, as the Orc crushed in Parshath's head just as the Airknight impaled him, both monsters shattering into fragments.

Isis quickly countered, seeing that she now had another monster to attack with. “Minor setback," she muttered before speaking up. "Soul of Purity and Light, attack directly!"

The fairy flew over to the large grinning vase. She latched onto the rim and wrapped her wings in a death-hold, draining the virus of its power.

G-6000 I-8000

The virus, not having any emotion, did nothing except draw a fourth card. "Summon Goblin of Greed in attack mode. (1000/1800) Set two cards. End turn."

Isis triggered her trap before she lost the opportunity. "I activate Solemn Wishes, which will boost my Life Points by 500 every draw!"

Unfortunately, the virus was well prepared to defend. It declared, "Activate trap, Bad Reaction to Simochi."
 
The pinpricks of light that were supposed to be nourishing suddenly ignited, becoming a noxious fume.

G-6000 I-7500

Isis gritted her teeth. Her Life Points would now take a hit every time they increased. The good thing was that her opponent only had one empty magic space available. She looked at the monsters in her hand again. "I summon Neo the Magic Swordsman." 
 
The spellcasting swordsman blurred into view, light on his fingertips. (1700/1000)

Isis looked at the field again. Three facedown cards was a lot to consider, but avoiding attacking would only let that allergy prey on her more; besides, the potential for damage was too much to pass up. "Neo, attack the Goblin of Greed!" she ordered.

As expected, a defense was easily put up. "Activate trap, Negate Attack."
 
The sword cut into another dimension in mid-swing, effectively saving the hideous goblin merchant that the swordsman was targeting.

The jar began its turn with a card draw. "Summon Spirit of the Pot of Greed in attack mode. (100/100) Activate Pot of Greed."
 
A tiny green ghoul swooped down from the opening in the large pot's head and formed an extra holographic card out of the smoke. The creature added it to the two cards previously drawn by the mammoth GREED virus.

The jar wasn't finished, however. "Activate Upstart Goblin.” The magic card projected the image of the Goblin of Greed himself, giving the pot yet more new cards while casually tossing a handful of gold coins Isis's way.

Isis prepared to receive her bonus of 1000 Life Points, but she was painfully made aware of the forgotten Simochi trap as the coins exploded into choking dust.

G-6000 I-6500

"Activate Swords of Revealing Light," the virus concluded.  Soon the weapons rained from the sky, leaving the Bad Reaction to strip the girl of her life points at its leisure.

Isis countered quickly before control was lost to her. "Sorry, but I trigger the card known as Magic Jammer and discard my Hysteric Fairy to negate your Swords."
 
An ancient circle of powerful magic surrounded the young girl and began to spew up a thick purple fog.

Isis felt proud of herself… until her discarded monster was spat forcefully back into her hand. The fog broke like it was being sucked into a wind tunnel, and Isis watched, confused, as the Goblin of Greed sucked up the enchanted smoke into a large pot it was holding.

"Okay," Isis told herself, a bead of sweat on her forehead, "I can't discard anything."

Things got worse as the pot activated yet another hidden trap. "Activate Eye of Truth," the virus bellowed.

Isis watched in surprise as her hand spun to reveal her cards - Pot of Greed, Graceful Charity, Hysteric Fairy, and Magician of Faith.  The girl then cringed, speaking to herself: "With that card giving me 1000 Life Points per turn, and with no way of getting rid of them without tripping my own Solemn Wishes, I'm completely at the mercy of his trap card."

The reality of the situation was something that she had to let sink in, as hard as it was to admit. "This is it," she choked out, "I'm done for."
 
The solution hit Isis out of nowhere.  There had to be a Heavy Storm in her deck - she clearly remembered hitting the card. Drawing it now would work wonders.  Closing her eyes, Isis quietly prayed for the card as she drew her hand up to five, letting the putrid smoke sting at her again along with the Eye of Truth preying upon her through her cards.

P-6000 I-5000

When she opened her eyes, she let out a yelp, thinking she had drawn the card she needed... but on closer inspection, her heart sank. "I must have hit the wrong row of cards," Isis said to herself. "I don't have a Heavy Storm at all, just this Gryphon's Feather Duster. What am I supposed to do with this, tickle it to death?” The answer was obvious as inspiration struck her like an ill-aimed Killer Needle. "Hmm, it doesn't hurt to try... I activate the magic card Gryphon's Feather Duster, targeting my Solemn Wishes!"

Two holographic brown wings spread from each side of the small girl's body, blowing a stream of wind and feathers across her own field. A wave of light slid up her form... but then GREED's trap card ignited like a bomb, spilling noxious green gas into the chamber.

Isis gritted her teeth again - her Life Points were supposed to be restored with the effect of the Duster, but the virus's Bad Reaction to Simochi was still in play.

P-6000 I-4500

Isis thought about her move some more. With her two magic cards in her hand, that Eye of Truth would slowly pick her apart. Her only choice was to play them. "I activate the Pot of Greed," she declared.

The virus had sensed her play and flipped up a card, much to her dismay. "Activate Jar Robber."

Isis gawked as her own magic card was now being used against her. The opposing Goblin of Greed opened the lid of another pot he was carrying, sucking away her two new cards.

The hideous pot drew a card itself, and then something unexpected happened. The forgotten Spirit of the Pot of Greed defiantly handed Isis a card of her own. She had activated a Pot of Greed, after all, triggering the monster's effect.

Isis looked at her draw; it was a high level monster, but not one worth summoning at a moment where she couldn't attack anyway. Still, that Eye of Truth was a problem. 
 
A grin crossed Isis's face while she explained her strategy. "I know full well that you can see that I have a Graceful Charity in my hand, but with that Goblin of Greed preventing me from discarding, why bother keeping it? So I set the card facedown and end my turn by summoning the Hysteric Fairy in attack mode.” (1800/500)

The vaguely irritated fairy landed next to Isis, the expression on her face reminding the girl of some of the teachers she'd met back in reality.

The eye of GREED's mystical trap card glowed with a red aura, letting the virus see through the backs of the holographic cards. It was not Isis's turn, however, so the life-gaining effect was not a factor.

The jar drew up to five. "Activate Goblin's Secret Remedy. Target, opponent."
 
Sweet-smelling mint leaves quickly turned rotten before the girl as yet another Life Point increase was turned against her.

P-6000 I-3900

“Summon Coach Goblin in attack mode.” (1200/1500) The new goblin monster was a decrepit looking goblin holding a small bell and hammer. Isis jumped as the small bell went off like a gong. Isis was confused until the large jar declared it was using an effect: "Return Different Dimension Trainer (100/2000) to the bottom of the deck to draw new card. End turn.”

The second turn of the swords was now up, and Isis drew a card. She gasped as she looked at it - it was a magic card.
 
The Eye of Truth saw through it immediately and rained a blessed light that immediately turned foul as the Bad Reaction to Simochi struck again.

P-6000 I-2900

Isis looked at her hand and practically danced on the spot. If all went well, she would have her victory by next turn. First of course was the preparation. "I use the magic card Premature Burial to bring my Airknight Parshath back to the field in attack mode.”

P-6000 I-2100

The regal looking monster took up its post on Isis's now nearly full monster zone. "Now..."  She paused for effect, knowing it was wasted on a computer virus.  "I use three of my monsters, Airknight Parshath, Hysteric Fairy, and Soul of Purity and Light, to bring forth my powerful Gilford the Lightning!" (2800/1400)

The life forces of the three monsters merged and spiraled up towards the nonexistent ceiling of the massive chamber. The spinning pillar seemed to smash through a dimensional barrier in the sky, raining down columns of clouds and lightning. All of the virus's monsters were quickly incinerated. A large, formidable-looking warrior stepped out from behind the clearing smoke, brandishing a glowing sword and glaring from behind a sparkling silver mask. Isis gleamed with pride as her monster took the field.

Eager to show off her knowledge, Isis elaborated on her play: "My monster is still considered a normal tribute-summon, but with three sacrifices instead of two, I eliminate all of your monsters. And now that your Swords of Revealing Light are extinguished this turn, I have you right where I want you."
 
Isis finished her turn with another card facedown, and then triggered one of the cards on her field. "I also use the power of Graceful Charity to draw three cards, and discard two. Normally this card lets my hand break even, but since it was already facedown, I now have a net gain of a card."

Isis picked up the top of her deck, looking for the best possible solution. Looking at the cards, she instantly knew which card she wanted. "I discard Elf's Light..."  It was a card that she didn't usually carry around, but the use of her Shine Castles were limited. "...and Dunames Dark Witch." (1800/1050.) "Now I set a card and end my turn."

If the virus had the knowledge that it was being outclassed, it didn't show. The pot just grinned on as its hand size grew to four. "Set two cards facedown..."

Isis interrupted with her trap card. “Not so fast! I use the trap card Light of Intervention, forcing us to play our monsters face-up when they are summoned."

The gigantic vase didn't seem to have a problem with that… until the monster was summoned, that is. "Summon Second Goblin in defense mode." (1000/1000)

Any human duelist would have been scared stiff at what happened next. The small, scrawny goblin got to its feet and prepared for a strike.

Isis sighed as she talked once more, forgetting that her opponent could not understand her, although right now she could not have cared less. "If you have forgotten, your Final Attack Orders card is still in play. I revealed my trap card so that you would have no choice but to summon a monster face up, leaving your card to switch it to Attack Mode and be the perfect target for my monster."

The jar had no choice but to end its turn.

Isis drew her card, and to her very great delight, it was not a magic card. The card shone through to the virus's virtual eyes, but it had no understanding of the consequences. "Now I begin my turn."  She turned one card face-up and continued, "I flip up my Magician of Faith (300/400) allowing me to bring Premature Burial back to my hand, which I use to revive my Soul of Purity and Light." The spirit hovered back into play.

G-6000 I-1300

Isis was not usually so careless with her life points, but this move was a big one. “Now I sacrifice Soul of Purity and Light, Magician of Faith, and Neo the Magic Swordsman to bring out a creature just as ferocious as Gilford. Meet my Moisture Creature! (2800/2900)" She paused to take a breath and then continued, "For a three-monster tribute to summon it, it will wipe the field clear of your magic and traps!  And that means that you're finished - on my next turn, you're done!"

The viral duelist tried to do the best it could by activating a Minor Goblin Official trap, but there was nothing left to do. A shadowy liquid creature ripped a hole through the dimensions as it shimmered into view. The creature created a ripple effect, causing all of the GREED virus's hard-built strategy - the Bad Reaction to Simochi, Eye of Truth, Final Attack Orders, a face-down Jar of Greed and Minor Goblin Official - to be lost in the fabric of space and time.

Whereas a human might have bluffed, that wasn't in GREED's programming.  It instead ended its turn, a sitting duck.

Isis had no trouble figuring out her next move though. She beamed as her next card was pulled from her deck. "All right, I use the magic card, Luminous Spark, to increase the power of my two monsters high enough for the final blow. Now my two unstoppable monsters, attack!"

The sheer onslaught smashed the large jar into pieces.  Even as it did, Isis slowly felt the world drift away...

G-0000 I-1300

0000000

Elsewhere, a cold voice said, "I think you told me that your virus creating skills were perfect, Mr. Underwood."

Weevil looked over his shoulder from his chair with an apprehensive expression. "Look, Seskera, you said make a dueling virus that used a certain strategy, and I delivered. What more could you want?"

“A winner,” the Ammitite leader said, with pure ice running through his vocal cords. "But, then again, I suppose I can't expect someone to create something with more intelligence then himself. Sadly, you, like the others, are now expendable. I told you that you would never be going back to prison again, yes, but I think you'll beg to be sent to death row when you see your new living quarters."

With one flick of his wrists, Seskera tore an old and battered Cockroach Knight in half, watching an image of the duelist in his youth appear and then suddenly fade.

The criminal let out a loud and annoying shriek before finally collapsing. Unlike the others though, Weevil laid with wide eyes, babbling about his precious bugs.

Seskera scowled. "I thought I told you to read that quickly. We are running too far behind to botch another one like this."

Odion looked up from the scroll at once. "I am afraid my Egyptian is slightly rusty. Good news, however - Point Three is fully captured. Unfortunately, we do not have enough energy to energize the remaining two as we are." Odion held his expression as he saw his master's face twist with rage.

"And now that girl has our remaining locator cards."  Seskera rubbed at his temples.  "Odion, transmit the locator cards immediately or we will be discovered here through those annoying trackers. Then, you will accompany me to the Kaibacorp airfield."

Odion knew better then to question, but had a complaint all the same. "What about the rare card that we owe the girl?"

Seskera froze. "Choose your words carefully. It seems like you would like to give this girl a leg up in the finals. However, you are correct that we owe her a card. Now let me see..."

0000000

Isis awoke without even taking notice of Yugi, who had cracked his head on the top as it rose to let the girl escape. Derik looked after his father as Isis raced to collect her locator cards.

Picking them up, she noticed another card that had been transmitted. A sneer curled her lips at the sight of the Ojama Yellow she had received.  Scoffing at the gift, she raced out the door with Derik and Yugi struggling to catch up. Isis was glaring daggers as one word was spat from her lips: "Cheapskates!"

It didn't matter, though. The finals were only a short time away, and she had to relax. Shaking off her anger, Isis smiled in spite of herself.  That's it for the warm-ups, she thought.  What will the real game be like?

Coming next chapter: We know four of the finalists for this year's Battle City Tournament: Isis, Peter, Derik, and - can I have an ominous drumroll?- Seskera himself.  But who are the other four?  What rules will the finals be conducted by?  What schemes do the Order of Ammit have stashed up their sleeves?  We'll have to take a break from dueling, but it will be well worth your time to check out Chapter Fourteen, "Millennium Prelude"!