Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Lady of Dragons ❯ Seskera, Sorcerror of Evil Dreams ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"One born of a dragon,
bearing darkness and light,
shall rise to the heavens
over the still land.
Bathing the moon in eternal
light, he brings a promise
to Mother Earth with
bounty and grace."

- The Mysidian Legend, Final Fantasy IV
Chapter Twenty-Six
Seskera: Sorcerror of Evil Dreams

Inside the contained darkness, a war of cards and minds.  The weapons of choice? Fear. Uncertainty. Intimidation.

 Two fully fledged bearers of ancient shadow magic were much more talented at wielding these then two children who had not yet reached the age of ten, especially when one of them should not have existed at all.

Derik's face was now relaxed, exhausted from the constant tightening it had endures due to these two.  Isis took her usual dominant posture, although this time much more of her weight was placed on her hind foot.  That and the worry in her eyes were the only outward signs she gave.  Her father had taught her well

Both partners looked to the one with white hair, the parasite that had taken hold of a dear family friend.  The spirit of the ring looked back.

“It's my move,” the phantom said crisply, as if daring anyone to dispute him.  No objection came as he drew a single card from his deck.

“Don't worry,” Derik whispered to his partner.  “I'm willing to bet Seskera is the front man here, so we take him out, and whatever thing possessed Ryou goes with him.”

“Derik, this is real life,” Isis hissed, finding it strange that her present circumstances even qualified as reality.  “This isn't some fantasy movie where the main villain is defeated and everything magically goes back to the way it was in seconds.  We still have to deal with his partner.”

“Even so,” Derik defended, “Seskera's the cause of all of this.  If we attack him, we won't set off the other guy's monster effects by destroying them.”

“How wrong you are,” the spirit called, hearing their every word even at such a low volume.  “True that this monster's effect activates upon destruction, but I can also turn its damage upon you by my own will.”

“Go through all of that fancy wording, and I think he means it's a flip effect,” Derik reasoned. 

“Like I needed your help with that one,” Isis responded, thoroughly annoyed now, but still curious.  They didn't even have anything in play to use a flip-effect on.

“I reveal, Morphing Jar,” the spirit decreed, as the top-view picture of the cyclopean ceramic was shown to all players.

Seskera at this point was thoroughly impressed, drawing his nonexistent hand up to a full five.

Derik, took a bittersweet look at the cards in his hand.  They were useful, but in this situation, he needed the new hand.  Soon, all four duelists grasped their new cards, as the dark jar's substance bubbled within it.

“And now,” the player continued, after his hand had reached its full size, “I activate the magic card Dark Designator, bringing one monster from the deck to a player's hand.”

Both Isis and Derik's eyes their opponent with curiosity, and wondered what his next play would be.  No one played Dark Designator without having something to combo with.

“And the card I choose,” the one who went by Bakura continued with relish, causing each child to flinch in turn as he changed his gaze to each, “is the legendary Blue-Eyes White Dragon.”

Devilish eyes forced their way into Isis's mind as the figure raised a pointed finger in her direction.  For a moment, that one card was all she could think about, as if the very concept of it had taken over the conscious part of her mind.  In a frenzy to make the sensation stop, she franticly looked through her deck, more then once dropping several cards on the floor.

“ALL RIGHT!” she screamed for release as the shiny blue foil touched her fingers, and she tried to work through the mental barrage, and regain whatever composure she had.

We really should have discussed strategy more before doing this, Seskera noted, now very uncomfortable with his choice of an ally.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000

“Are you who I think you are?” Seskera asked.

“Who do you think I am?” the Spirit of the Ring replied.

“I think you are exactly who I need to complete my goal.”
 
“And what is your goal?”

The two conversed for some time.
 
“Your goal… is quite worthy. I shall assist you,” the Bakura finally said.


00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000

That Designator card could have been used on me to gain the advantage, but instead he used it on the girl.  He'd better have something good, or we've just been put in a very dangerous situation.

The Spirit of the Ring took another of his newly gathered cards, and placed another magic card on his disk, with a pair of swapping hands.
“Exchange,” the player clarified, “A magic card that nearly removed the threat of an Egyptian God card itself.”

“Nearly?” Seskera questioned in a voice barely louder then a whisper.

The one staring from behind Bakura's eyes looked across at the fearful girl.  “Don't bother with hope Isis Kaiba, the cards in my hand are now useless, I made quite sure of that, now if you would kindly show me your Blue-Eyes White Dragon, so that I may take it from you, and so that it may become your final vision before entering the Hell of shadows that the Pharaoh imprisoned me in.”

Just before the phantom got a glimpse at her hand, a shimmer caught the corner of her eye, and she smiled at the rotating device that was emitting it.  The one who went by Bakura grit his teeth.

“Spell Shield Type-8,” Derik announced from the sidelines.  “It can negate any magic card an opponent plays.  Since this one didn't target a monster, I have to discard a magic card for it to work, but I don't think I'll use this Toon Table of Contents any time soon.”

As he discarded the card, several bits of chopped paper spat out onto the field, to the children's satisfaction giving the spirit several visible paper cuts across his arm.

“Nice going,” Seskera scolded.  “You just gave them access to a powerful monster, and you've got a piece of clay.  I knew I should have handled them myself.”

Bakura didn't react at first, or seemed to ignore the comment, but Seskera caught that look in his partner's eye.  It frightened him, and he felt that he might be losing control even more then the children he was facing.  It made him wonder what would happen if he won.  Would this figure he had barely met truly step aside and let Seskera claim his throne in a new world of darkness?  And even more pressing, did Seskera have the power to stop him if he didn't?

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000

Outside, Ishizu's strength especially was falling fast.  The good news was that the spreading darkness didn't seem to be spreading any further.
“Wow, you got that stuff trapped like a gelatin mold!” Joey congratulated.  “Does that mean you can let go now?”

“Just `cause the water takes the shape of the glass doesn't mean it will keep its shape Wheeler,” Kaiba strained, daunting the others over how he could even talk without his corner giving way.

Ishizu could bear no more strain, and felt herself begin to be pushed back, until she felt a source of renewed strength that didn't seem her own.
She pondered for a moment, before coming to the truth, on some level, Kuraio Kaiba, her unborn son, was fighting the Darkness too.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000

Bakura was seething, having mentally added that combo to his `list of combos not to use again,' now that it had backfired twice.
Seskera seemed to have reduced himself to watching for the time being, seeing as he couldn't do much else at the moment.
Isis meanwhile, was still working through why Derik had not only used his trap, but had discarded for her to do so.
“Is that your turn?” Derik asked gingerly, not wanting to get more on this opponent's bad side.

That face returned, the one every duelist has warning their opponent that they are down but not out.  It was just that there was threat of physical pain behind this one.

“Far from it; when I told the girl that these cards were useless, I was referring to her alone.  Take this card for example, Polymerization, fusing together my Headless Knight, and Earl of Demise, into a Nobleman fiend known as the Duke of Demise.” (2000/1700)

Despite the name of one of the components, the resulting monster did have a head upon his shoulders.  Closer inspection left little doubt that fate should not have been so generous. 

No hologram could have looked as this creature did, regulations would not have allowed it.  The stench of decay was thick in the air.  Muscles and organs, only some of them working, were seen through rotting skin.  The beast's face looked less like a head, and more like a skull tightly covered with tight purple flesh, not even large enough to cover the creature's foul yellow teeth.

The monster had only one good eye, the other was rolled back so far that only white remained.  Worms, maggots, and other creatures still feasted on the exposed meat.  The thing carried a long rusted sword, and a moth-eaten royal cloak..

For Seskera, only the smell would have been enough, but the sight of this new thing just mere feet from him, looking him in the eye with its own that did not see, drove him beyond terror and plummeting into hysteria.

The spirit did not bother to notice or care, he was waist deep in the moment, laughing as something from another world, watching this new thing take its place as the mightiest beast in the arena.

Isis wretched, and held back the bile she tasted low in her throat, struggling to breathe through her mouth.  Derik wasn't doing any better.

“Come now,” the spirit challenged.  “If you cannot handle a monster such as this, you are not worthy of your titles.  Duke of Demise, attack the girl's life points directly.”

Of the number of sights that had burned their way into Derik's mind, this was another added to the list.

The monster threw its head back as if to laugh, and then appeared to be choking.  Isis squinted her eyes to discern the situation, and later was thankful she did.

Maggots, worms, and all manner of disgusting life our planet Earth could produce spewed across the field as if flooding from a broken hydrant.  Isis lost herself in the wave of disgusting filth, turning green as she felt them all burrowing into her, being absorbed into her very skin, leeching every last point from her bone.  (I-5300)

The spirit's eyes gleamed at the results of his command, Seskera still half-kneeling as far from the Duke as was unsuspicious.  Derik watched with empathy, and knew that neither Isis, nor he, deserved the torment they were being forced to endure.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000

Outside, the temporarily stable darkness, once again began to pulse.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000

A nod from the Spirit, and a gust of wind from the Morphing Jar's pursed lips, quickly reduced Isis's life points again, bringing the turn to Derik.  Fortunately, this move was a simple one.

*sigh* Well, it won't last against that Duke of Demise, but I won't take a lot of damage either, and I have to weaken at least one of them.  I just hope it won't be taken out right away… He looked over to Isis, on the verge of tears from the traumatic attack, her hysterics nearing Seskera's in intensity, … cause I really don't want to know what that felt like.

“All right Seskera,” he said, making a direct challenge, though he found it strange that the sorcerer seemed strangely pre-occupied with…something.  “I set one card facedown, and summon Skilled Dark Magician in attack mode.”

Derik's second trademark mage took the field again, staff at the ready, though no gems were charged.

Derik flashed back for a moment.  The last time he saw this monster, it almost seemed to want him to win, as it faded to the Different Dimension.  This one seemed the same, her eyes giving Derik permission to do what he had to do.  He didn't even have time to declare an attack, as his magician blasted the mistress into multicolored pieces, Seskera's points taking a dive as it did so.  (S-6500)

Seskera drew, and took up his posture, seemingly more shaken then usual.  The Spirit had the distinct look of enjoyment in his face, watching him.

“I draw,” he declared from an obviously dry throat, even though he had already done so.  “I must ask you Derik Motoh, did you think that with a deck such as mine, that I would allow Doriado to be destroyed so easily?”

Truth be told, Derik did not.

“Let me tell you a thing about Ritual monsters.  They all have one thing in common, a payment of life in exchange for their hired services.  This takes place in the form of monsters obviously, but if I should let such a monster fall, they may demand a payment a little more… convincing.  So instead of offering the blood of other creatures, I shall now make an offering of my own, to renew the pact I sealed with Doriado.  I play, Fulfillment of the Contract.”

In a move that impressed even the one going by Bakura, Seskera placed the very tip of his index finger into his mouth, and bit down hard.  A small cut began oozing blood almost instantly, as Seskera looked up to see a shining blue document hovering in mid-air.  Giggling like a madman, he pressed his finger to the paper.

The blood that was his ink began spreading in lines throughout the document, forming webs and patterns.  Astonishingly, the lines did not end at the edges, and began weaving and dancing in mid air.  Only when one section swelled, did Derik see the truth, as the paper began stretching around the limbs, becoming paler; smoother.

The spreading red lines, now known to be the formation of a circulatory system, drew closer, as the paper dawned a pair of piercing eyes, and became the creature's skin.  This new Doriado, powered with her master's blood, took on his icy gaze, and once again covered Seskera's field.
Clearly encouraged, Seskera held a card in a still bleeding hand, and placed it on his disk.

“I also summon another familiar face to keep you company.  I'm sure you recall my Element Dragon.”

The monster roared as it was summoned into play.

Derik just looked in confusion.  “No, not really.  Did you play that last time?”

 The man bearing the Ring snorted in amusement.

Seskera was not as amused.  “Well, since you've forgotten, Doriado makes this monster a 2000 ATK level 4, who can attack twice in a turn.”
No, Derik internally grimaced.

“Draconic Brushfire,” Seskera finished, the Dragon all too willing to comply.

“Activate Magic Cylinder,” Derik countered.  Seskera got a taste of what Derik had felt like in their last match, as a sputter of embers buried itself into his face.

Derik braced himself for the next attack, and was surprised when it didn't come.  Seskera didn't seem willing to explain, so the Spirit took up the slack.

“What my partner struggles with, is that the force of wind does allow an extra attack, but only upon another creature's destruction.  As there was no such thing, his turn is forced to end.”

Seskera loathingly set a card and nodded in confirmation.  (S-3700)

Isis worked her way back up, still shaking from her experience earlier, and seeing the monster responsible looking at her with that stupid undead grin.  Channeling her fear into determination, a feat made easier due to the Blue-Eyes in her hand, she shakily drew her next card.

“I activate Premature Burial, reviving my Soul of Purity and Light, in attack mode.” (I-5200)

The crimson summoning circle established itself on the field, and the fairy rose again, this time with a green tint in her aura.  Isis coughed as the thickening stench coated her throat.  One thing was for sure, she wanted the source of it gone.

“And just like before, her effect weakens the monster it attacks by 300 points, so I'm taking your Duke of Demise out right now,” she declared, more out of desperation for the thing to be gone then strategy.

The Spirit of the Ring, mused for a moment, as the heavenly light took its toll, but the angel could do nothing more then strip an extra layer of tissue from the Duke's frame.

“And what did you expect?” the Duke's controller rhetorically asked of her.  “You still haven't learned that my monsters are not so easily broken.  My Duke of Demise for instance, is indestructible in battle, though I must relinquish five hundred of my life points each turn to maintain its existence.”  The phantom's life points however did not get away unscathed, as they lowered to a still respectable 6700.

As if fate wanted this being to indulge in its vengeance, the one called Bakura drew his own next card, before coughing, and bending at the waist.  With a look that was almost comfortable, a spray of blood erupted from his mouth, as if a massive blow had hit his abdomen.  The damage being done to the Duke from the various creatures crawling through it was reduced, as the blood regenerated new tissue for the foul things to snack on.

Seeing this, Isis lost control, and wretched once, turning around, and vomiting as far as she could from where she was standing.  Only the sight of her doing it prevented Derik from doing likewise.

“That's revulting,” he commented, finding new layers of disgust.

“That's my style,” the phantom returned, wiping his bottom lip.  “Now, I set one card facedown, and change my Morphing Jar back in to defense mode.  Now, I'm sure you realize that with my Duke of Demise's gift of immortality, he can bring down your fairy without fear of his own destruction.  Duke of Demise…”

He didn't need to finish the sentence.  The Duke charged in with joyous fury, running the rusted sword though the angel's stomach.  With a wicked laugh, the monster's jaw distended wider, and he swallowed the impaled monster, sword and all, complete with the crunching of brittle wings, and feathers left to fall to the floor.  Isis was now past revulsion, and her mind was shutting down due to sheer shock.  Derik only swallowed hard, a feat considering the dryness of his mouth.  He was numb to most of this now, and drew to begin his next turn.
He looked at the Duke, who was gingerly retrieving the blade of his swallowed sword and sigh and sighed.

I think I underestimated this guy.  Compared to him, Seskera hasn't been doing anything dangerous all game.  I'd inflict some damage by attacking that thing, but it won't be destroyed, and it isn't much damage anyway.  Besides, I think Isis wants to focus on that one.

“I activate, Toon Table of Contents to search for another copy of itself.”

Seskera's eyes narrowed.  This was how he had managed to summon his Dark Magician in their last match.
The rainbow letters melded together into a new card, which Derik hastily grabbed.

“And now that three magic cards have been activated, I'll sacrifice it from my deck to bring out Dark Magician in attack mode.” (2500/2100)
Derik picked the first one he found, the one that was darker purple, with a greenish tint to the skin.

“Well, it appears you've summoned your best monster,” the phantom observed, “With an opponent like that, I think that a replenishment of resources is in order.  Reveal, Multiple Destruction.”

Each card in the children's hands grew red hot, until they were forced to drop them to the floor.  After being released, the cards zoomed to their respective graveyards of their own accord.

Looking slightly confused, the Spirit of the Ring calmly drew several cards before explaining.

“This trap is similar to Card Destruction, forcing us all to send their entire hands to the graveyard, but unlike Card Destruction, we all draw to a full hand of five, though I must give up 200 life points for each card I throw away.” (B-6000)  “As for you,” the spirit mentioned shifting his gaze to Isis, “that means that my gift of your Blue-Eyes White Dragon is now of no use.”

Feeling a little relieved, Derik drew his new hand, before working to focus his attention.

“Well, I guess I'll choose to use my Dark Magic Attack on your Elemental Mistress Doriado.”

Seskera replied with a smirk, though sweat was clearly dotting his face.

“Oh the memories Derik Motoh, remember what you told me just before the end of our last match?  `A single card can turn the duel,' wasn't it?”  Seskera pressed a button on his disk.  “Not only will this card turn the tides in our favor, but it will be the same card that turned them in yours.  Activate Mirror Force.”

The trap lifted, and soon Derik could no longer tell what shards were the mirror, and which were his magician. 

“Luckily I've learned as well,” Derik responded, his body seeming to accept the outrageous circumstances by dulling his every emotion.  “Last time I sent out all of my monsters in a single strike, running headfirst into your trap cards, but this time, you'll notice I did something different.” 

He clarified by setting a monster facedown onto his disk.  “Joke's on you.  I never made a normal summon this turn, so I still have a wall to hide behind.  You aren't going to get to me that easily, not in this duel.”

He's becoming more confident, Seskera thought worriedly as he drew.  We had him overwhelmed, but the shock is wearing off for both of them. Indeed, Isis seemed to be drawing strength, and stood with the same dull acceptance, her brain too over stimulated to take everything in.
If they go from neutrality to confidence, we're in for a bit of trouble; he glanced once again at the man with the Ring around his neck, because I haven't got much of it left myself.

“I change Elemental Mistress Doriado into defense mode,” he began, the reborn mistress sliding back a bit, and sitting in a more relaxed position.
 
The sorcerer, now with his full attention on his opponent, narrowed his eyes at Derik's concealed monster.

“Element Dragon, attack the child's hidden creature with Draconic Brushfire.”

A furious gust of wind, peppered with glowing embers, rushed dangerously across the field, only to be dispersed by a large, three tiered bookshelf, complete with a ladder and bookkeeper.  Royal Magic Library had been a successful shield for Derik once again. (0/2000)

“Looks like I'm all right this turn,” Derik observed.

“Look again,” the Ring Spirit suggested.  Derik obeyed, only to see the library burning rapidly, the keeper struggling to keep the blaze from spreading.  “Points or none, paper still burns in the Shadow Realm.  Your library may still be standing, as its defense mirrored the attack of the dragon, but soon enough it will burn to the ground leaving you no defenses from me.”

Isis drew her card nervously, still near tears, and numb from her experience, but the look of that card sent some sparkle back into her eyes, and she looked over at her partner, and gave Derik a little wink.  Derik's face started to light up, as his mind found what it thought to be the situation.

“Four cards out of forty?” he asked hopefully, knowing the answer already.

“Four cards out of forty.” The young Miss Kaiba confirmed, before looking straight past the Duke, and into its master's eyes.

“And I have you to thank for it.  I never could have pulled this off if you hadn't helped me along the way.”
Seskera flinched, looking to his partner for support, and possibly even to blame him, but the smile on the white haired man's lips showed a rush of excitement.  There would be no getting through to him, and it showed.

“I never thought I'd get to do this three times in a row,” Isis mentioned, “but I'll activate Monster Reborn to resurrect the Blue Eyes you sent to my Graveyard yourself.”

The great dragon of light gave off little comfort, as the blackness that surrounded them was reflected in the shining scales.  “Now, after the hand refreshment,” Isis continued in triumph, “I've drawn the other components.  I'll use the Polymerization card, and my other dragons, and bring out, Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon.”

She caught Derik's eye and made a quick whisper out of the corner of her mouth.  “long, long time huh?”

Derik managed a small laugh, and he was not about to complain.  Weight lifted from his shoulders as the shining hydra-like dragon roared in three voices as one. (4500/3800)

“You'd better have a plan for dealing with this,” Seskera demanded angrily, but his partner just looked at the beast with a thrill.
“Ultimate Dragon, Neutron Blast!”

Derik watched carefully, expecting the attack to wipe out the forgotten Homunculus, but to his surprise, it was Element Dragon that got the lightning blast, and reduced Seskera's life points to a sparse 1200.

“What was that?!” Derik complained.  “His other monster had the better combos, and you could have dealt some major damage by attacking the Duke.  That guy using Ryou has more points anyway.”

Isis looked back with a gaze to freeze the heart.  “I thought we had an understanding, that you don't tell me how to duel, Motoh.  In any case, with you down to a single debilitated monster, I thought you wouldn't want the possibility of two attacks to worry about.  Next time, I'll do the stupid thing, like your friend did.”

Derik forgot the duel for a moment, and took that all in. “Insult me all you want, but leave Peter alone, especially when he's not here to defend himself.  As for me, you wouldn't even have that title if not for me, so cut the `high and mighty Kaiba' crap!”

“You wouldn't last three turns here without me, and need I remind you that I have the better monster here.”

“That is such a load of…”

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000

And through it all, the four protectors continued to weaken, using precious energy and time that was too scarce to waste.  Friends watching and hoping; No one even knowing if the children were still alive.  But they were just children, with and their pride is the most important thing they have.  They defend it tenaciously, and with no parent around, no one was there to remind them of what was truly important.  It would have been funny if there were not so many things on the line.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000

Once the argument had played out, Bakura drew his card, and looked at it with vague fascination.  Apparently he felt that his Duke of Demise had outlived its usefulness (or just found the payment too unpleasant) and left the worms to continue feasting, and eating away until the once regal zombie collapsed into random bits of flesh and scraps of cloth

“I've drawn the card to seal your fate,” the duelist declared.  “But in order to use it, I must sacrifice two of my monsters.  Since I only have one to offer, I summon Melched the Four-Faced Beast, in attack mode”

Derik's attention focused to the living assortment of masks that floated in front of the one who summoned it.  Melched was a favorite among fiend decks, but it was known that it had no effect.  This was a fair change from the monsters that this opponent had been using; ones that were very dangerous to destroy.

“Derik,” Isis whispered, “I know what he's up to.  There's only one thing he could be planning right now.”

“Now I summon Masked Beast Des Guardius,” the phantom continued, paying his opponents no mind, “by offering the souls of my two monsters, Melched the Four-Faced Beast, and my Morphing Jar.”

Blue and purple smoke billowed onto the field, giving of an eerie glow.  When it cleared, a twisted figure lay curled at its center, staring with three sets of glowing red eyes.  Uncrossing its arms, the monster got to its feet, brandishing two gauntlet-like hands tipped with razor-sharp talons.  It did not roar, it did not make a move.  Just the standing posture of the thing was intimidating enough.

Amazingly, he beckoned Derik to make his move.  Though frustrated, he was far more hopeful then when the duel had begun, and his new draw spurred him on all the more.

“I draw,” he examined his new card for a moment, before picking another, “and I activate Graceful Charity.”

Derik went through the very familiar process of drawing and discarding, finally choosing his Jinzo, and his brick red Dark Magician.  Looking at his hand, he was met with a feeling of accomplishment.  He had never in his life dreamed that it would even be possible to do what he was about to.  The inspiration made his fear fade, though tears were still heavy in his eyes.

Taking a card from his hand, he quickly fit it into the field slot.  “I activate Fusion Gate.”

“Good job,” is Isis commented, somewhat impressed.  “My Dragon, and your Paladin; we can't lose now.”

Derik felt a twang of guilt, but made his move anyway.  “Now, I substitute my Goddess with the Third Eye for Black Luster Soldier, to form Master of Dragon Soldier, in attack mode.”

“What?” Isis cried out in shock and disbelief, as her dragon faded with a roar into the swirling walls generated by the Gate.

The roar returned with a vengeance, now with the black rider perched upon the dragon's central head.

Derik smiled at Isis, and expected some kind of congratulations.  A fist, complete with the weight of a Disk wristband was not the thing he expected to see.  On the ground, he fought back some new pain, accompanied with some unnatural bending in his nose.

When his vision focused, he saw Isis, fist clenched as tightly as her jaw, the glint of watery eyes visible, and her breathing quite heavy.  Derik thought it a good idea not to get to his feet.

“I summoned that dragon for you,” Isis stumbled, trying to keep her best calm.  “You asked, and I did it.  My monster, my family's monster, and you steal it for yourself.  You had to take all the glory for this one, again.  Didn't you?”  She planted a hard kick to his back.  It was only that the duel was still on that she didn't go down to his level and pummel his face unrelentingly. “Didn't you?!” she screamed not caring if he answered or not.

“Attack,” Derik half-declared, half-screamed in pain.  He had his goal still on his opponent.  Isis forgot for a moment, and watched the attack go through. 

The prismatic lightning, combined with the power of the Dragons and Rider, seemed to eliminate the masked demon without so much as a flinch of resistance. 

The Spirit's life points ticked lower, but his there was something wild in his eyes.  Something mad, that made it clear that he had wanted this very thing to happen.

“Well done genius,” Isis mocked, turning back to the field, as if she felt there was nothing more she could do to Derik.  “You've doomed us both.”
As if on cue, a projectile flew from the darkness.  Isis bowed her head, as if accepting defeat, leaving Derik stupefied.  “Isis,” he asked calmly.  “What did I just do?”

“You paved the way for us, Derik Motoh, that's what you've done.” Seskera answered with glee.  “Just as I promised, you've become the one to give the world to me, and to the shadows.  I thank you Derik Motoh, I really do.”

“Des Guardius activates a card called Mask of Remnants from a player's deck,” Isis revealed, looking as the mask bonded itself to the Soldier's face.  “And it takes control of any monster we have.”

Derik looked up in fear, and dumbly stated the obvious.  “That monster was the best we had.  Is there anything we can do to stop it?”
Isis gritted her teeth, still looking at her opponents' newly harnessed weapon.

“My Ultimate Dragon combined with a Shine Castle could do the trick… if someone hadn't taken it out of the game first.” She added with a bit of a hiss and more then a little bit of returning hopelessness.  It was obvious that she wasn't scared anymore, just accepting.  Isis would look death in the eye if she had to.

It was Seskera's turn next, and he seemed quite pleased with where the relationship between his two opponents had turned.  As he drew, he seemed almost bored, but then again, he hadn't been doing much more then observing quietly for quite a while now.

“My move next,” he called, not really caring, as his partner had more then his share of control of the game at the moment.  “And I refuse to let my partner have all the fun of doing you two in for good.  First, I move Elemental Mistress Doriado into attack mode.”

The alchemist reborn through a darker art seemed as if she had completed herself.  Though it was not part of her nature, this monster looked consumed by darkness, and as she rose, various colored sparks fluttered with every small movement.

“Now the only true question, is which one of the elements will drive to your mind never to interfere with me again.”  Seskera pondered the question for a moment.  “I know, Homunculus, become fire.”

Derik had been so preoccupied with the actions of his friend, that Seskera had been pushed from his mind.  The boy's eyes widened when the chimeric creature changed his previous form into one glowing hot orange.

“Just some insurance,” Seskera quipped.  “After all, should Doriado fall, I wouldn't want my Element Valkerie to be helpless.  I know you've met before.”
The elemental fairy emerged, spinning her lance; fire dancing at one end, ice at the other.

“And if that weren't enough, I've decided to do the girl a favor.  You on the other hand, will have no such benefit, when I play my Luminous Spark.”
The Gate around Derk faded, as a new energy seemed to radiate from Seskera himself, or from behind him, one could never truly tell.  As the defense points of Royal Magic Library began to plummet, Derik felt his stomach go with them.

“Now that that's taken care of,” Seskera drove in, hanging on every word, “Element Valkerie, attack with Nordic Hailfire.”  Two different extremes danced at both ends of the spear as the fairy spun the weapon in her hand like a baton.  The weakened structure of the shelf couldn't take the rapidly changing temperatures, and collapsed with minimal effort.

“I usually don't play favorites,” Seskera mentioned, “but the girl seems to be quite well in hand, and let's face it, you owe me something.  Homunculus, Alchemy of Fire.”

The being clasped its hands to the ground, and seconds later, Derik was covered by a cloud of erupting ash, each ember taking its toll.
“Doriado,” Seskera commanded through the darkness, “Attack with Elemental Bindings.”

Following Seskera's point, the spellcaster rose her hands her hands over her head, and began conjuring in her mumbled language.  At her gesture, rings of multicolored magic cut through the air, and Derik's life points, before the badly injures individual could recover.

“That about ends it,” Seskera concluded as he set a card, thoughts of more punishment running rampant in his mind.  “Now Derik Motoh, let's see if the girl can save you.”

Isis didn't honestly feel anything towards her battered partner.  Se just drew her card, looked at it, and then gave that famous Duelist's Glare in Bakura's direction.

“No one,” she said icily, “takes that dragon away from me.”

The Spirit of the Ring began to laugh, but Isis cut it short. “I activate Giant Trunade, returning all of our magic and trap cards back to our original hands, including that mask attached to Master of Dragon Soldier.”

“Shame it won't be staying,” Seskera countered, “my Order to Charge activated as a chain should handle that.  Sadly it costs me my Alchemetic Beast, but after the chain's resolution I may destroy any monster you control, such as your precious Soldier.”

With now way to summon it, save for fusion, the proud monster vanished to the graveyard, not to be summoned again.  Seskera's Homunculus, a far more bearable loss, soon followed.

Isis was now in more then a state of anger.  It was one thing to take control of her monster, yet another to dispose of it just when it was coming back to her control.

“I wasn't even finished yet,” Isis declared with a sneer.  “You think it's funny to lose your most valuable monster, let's see how you like it.  Kaiser Seahorse,” she commanded, even as she put the monster card into the slot, “attack his last monster now.”

The Sea-Serpent of light obeyed, its glistening weapon impaling the sorceress, and taking Seskera's life points to a minimal seven hundred.
“I then set one card facedown,” Isis chose, “and end my turn.”

The white haired duelist drew another card into his own hand, and promptly the glint in his eye gave away the fact that another change in the game was on the horizon.

“I summon a new monster,” the duelist began, “just as my other monsters unleash their power when sent to the grave, this one draws its power from it.”

“I really don't like the sound of that,” Derik added, his nose now swollen to the point that it was affecting his voice.

“When I have three fiend-type monsters in my graveyard, I can use them to summon my vessel of darkness, Dark Necrofear herself.”

A dark flicker near the floor started out looking almost like fire; one that hoarded light rather then produced it.  The flicker soon grew to a void, which soon pulled back to reveal one of the most famous monsters in the game.

The first to appear were the eyes.  Catlike spheres piercing the shadow.  The face was revealed from there, and it was a piercing face at that.  Cerulean blue, with sharp features, the creature was completely bald.  Her clothes, if that's what they could be called, looked nothing short of something taken from the wall of a torture chamber, or someone with very odd tastes in romance.

Her boots came up to her knee, and above her waste, only bones were visible, until her body was hidden from view by another metal garment.  Her gloves were of the same mold as her boots, but only one hand was free, as the other held the broken remains of a marionette doll.
She gave no sign, but you knew that she knew you were there. (2200/2800)

“Now, my creature of the shadows,” the Spirit of the Ring commanded, “Spirit Burn Attack!”  The being faded into the shadows just as quickly as she had come, but then she became Isis's whole world.

Without even seeing the movement, Isis found herself lifted from the floor, in the grip of the creature's free arm.  Looking into her face to find a way at freedom, she saw a new meaning of fear. 

No longer was this the cool unyielding face of Dark Necrofear, it took on a new face entirely.  Her eyes grew wide, and her mouth gaped to reveal fangs.  Her face twisted in such a way, that it seemed to be leeching the energy from her very soul.  Caught in the grip, Isis couldn't reach her disk, but said the two words her mind was reeling to act upon.

“Mirror Force!”

Apparently, the shadows heard her, and carried out her command, even though she was unable to trigger it herself.  Her captor broke apart into triangles, her gaze locked in that spellbinding twisted way.

“Foolish,” Bakura interjected.  “Like all of my monsters, Necrofear bears more then one curse.”

“I took her out,” Isis arrogantly challenged.  “What can she do to me now?”

“Her? No.  The Demon you've vanquished was only a pawn.  A nursemaid to the true monster I summoned.”  Bakura relished. 

“But then, what…” Isis never finished her sentence.  The puppet the blue creature had held was still present on the field, and it was obvious that it was much more then just a toy.

“That,” Bakura finished, “is Dark Necrofear.”

The puppet's limbs began unraveling into sets of powerful binding cords, each one binding so tightly to the Kaiser Seahorse that they sawed through the skin, and fastened themselves to the monster's very bone.

Isis only stared open-mouthed as the phantom ended his turn.

Derik fought every ache he had, and reduced himself to dueling in a sitting position.  He looked at Isis appoligeticly as he set one monster then passed.

Seskera drew next, and the look of a mission accomplished spread through his now tired looking face.

“Four words boy,” he started quietly, before triumphantly moving into a yell.  “Screams From the Beyond!”

Derik's eyes locked with horror.  He knew he couldn't brace himself.  He didn't even try.

The wail of tortured souls erupted from Seskera's graveyard pile, completely clearing the ground of debris in their wake.  Isis and Derik covered their ears, though they emitted their own wails into an environment no one would hear them in.

The scrapes and cuts both children had sustained lengthened, fresh blood flowing more then when they had been fresh.  Claws and fangs of each one tearing.  Derik could swear they had gone through his eyes and burned their terrible cried into his mind.

Nine hundred damage was done to each of them.  Isis fell to a sitting position reeling.  Derik fell back to the ground, finding it much easier just to keep from moving, and keep his eyes closed.

Seskera smirked to his companion, who seemed genuinely impressed. 

“Only nine hundred damage each with that one,” Seskera pondered.  “Possibly the need to infect two targets intensified the card's powers.  I had expected them to last longer then this…”

“I plan on it,” Isis struggled. Derik was still trying to regain energy.  “I said I could do this without him,” she started, blood running down her face like tears, “and I plan to deliver on that.”

Not caring how she did it, as long as she put these two in their place, she drew her card, and looked at it with clearing vision. 
“Now,” she disclosed, not even bothering to stand, “I activate Harpie's Feather Duster, clearing one of your fields, and I aim for the one that has my Seahorse spellbound.”

The enchanted white wing, washed over the field, almost seeming to tickle the puppet pulling the strings.  With one last lash, the connections severed, leaving the Seahorse to more fall then return onto Isis's territory.

“Then,” Isis continued, tired, but motivated by her move, “I sacrifice it, summoning my Wingweaver.”

The angelic savior seemed perfect for combating the two men before the children, and she smiled while spreading her eight shining wings.  With Seskera's field card still in play, the monster was strengthened, reversing the worry Derik had expressed early on in their game.  (3250/2000)
Bakura was now defenseless of both monster and magic, and looked with loathing as he realized he was about to be defeated by a Fairy.

“I equip,” Isis stumbled, “Wingweaver with Shine Palace, and attack you directly.” She added a weak smile before collapsing onto the deck.  “Take him down.”

Bakura's life points slid to zero, as the Millennium Item around his neck pulsed.  The hardened lined around his eyes grew softer, and his hair fell flatter to his head.  The now defeated duelist, was now facedown on the floor, free once more from the dark presence that may never truly die.
Seskera knew he was in big trouble now.  Without his partner, the next turn went directly to Derik, who was now reduced to dueling as he lay on his side.

“I activate,” he struggled, though with a bit of tired laughter in his voice, “Monster Reborn, and summon Blue-Eyes White Dragon.”

He checked Isis out of the corner of his eye.  Whether it was due to blood loss, that sudden wave of relief, or simply exhaustion, she was now curled up and fast asleep.  Derik was thankful for this, for more then one reason.

“Then,” Derik continued, “I activate Polymerization, fusing together Blue-Eyes White Dragon and my last Dark Magician…” he looked and saw by the picture it was the one his Father had once carried, “into my own special card, made just for me.  I called it, my Blue-Eyes Light Mage.”
This was Derik's weapon he had chosen against Isis, and the one he had been unable to use in every other duel in the Finals since then.  His first look at the creature all but alive made the wait worth it.

His Magician appeared first, the color of his robe changing to a shining silver hue.  The hood elongated back, to the point that the dragon's stylized face was clearly seen, the mouth becoming the magician's face, with the upper jaw jutting forward over his upper face.  The little hair showing through the hood shone and sparkled the color of gold.

The lower robes faded, showing the magician's legs in armor similar to the rest of his clothing. The entire armor looked almost like a set of muscles, only with plated lines instead of smooth curvature.

 The Dragon's wings wrapped around his neck to form a cloak, silvery white on the outside, but the inner trim a magnificent royal blue.  
The staff he carried seemed equally deadly at both ends, one a three pronged dragon claw, the other the image of the Blue-Eyes's head, jaws open, and clamped upon a light blue crystal, dancing with White Lightning.  It too, shone with that magical white silver.

Seskera looked into his face, and saw his doom in those steady blue, glowing, pupiless eyes. (3200/2500)

Derik sighed with relief as he mentioned one more thing.  “I was expecting Isis to take out my Magicians, and I knew I'd take out her Blue-Eyes, but I couldn't make the attack power too high, so I came up with a backup plan.”  Derik breathed heavily.

For every set of a Dark Magician and a Blue-Eyes in the Graveyard, and they have to be paired, one or the other won't do it,  I made him get another 600 attack points.”

The newest Mage twirled his wand like a baton, soaking up the extra power, not like it was needed. (5000/2500)

Seskera backed away, for the first time feeling vulnerable.  What hurt most, was how utterly relaxed and relieved Derik sounded when he gave the order, and he finally found the answer to his question, “Electron Blast.”  More asleep then awake, the previous adrenaline causing exhaustion, he muttered two other words, “Thanks Dad.”

Energy cackled from the Mage's gloved hand to the orb positioned at the head of the staff.  Seskera felt dark tendrils begin to creep up his legs, and as his Valkerie was blown apart, he knew the last thing he would see would be that magician's eyes, as icy as his own voice.  The magic keeping the beings in place faded, and Seskera was left utterly alone in the dark.