Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Liminality ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Liminality
Chapter 3

Present Day
“Bakura!” Yugi screamed shooting up from the bed. He blinked confusedly at his surroundings. ‘This isn’t the palace,’ he thought, closing his eyes. A few moments later, he opened them again. “I remember now, Malik wanted to us to make sure nothing happened when he handed the rod over to Kaiba-kun. They must have put me here when I blacked out.”
He started towards the door, past the sleeping Rishid upon hearing his friends’ worried voices. However, he froze when he heard Yami’s, memories of the dream he just had still fresh in his mind. He leaned against the doorframe trying to get rid of them. When they refused to disappear, he came to realize that what he had dreamt of was no dream. “Yami really did do all those things to me,” he said sadly, feeling betrayed as the memories of his past life in Egypt still flooded his mind.
“I can’t believe he could forget something like that!” Yugi frowned then went over to the window and stared outside at the manicured grounds of the Kaiba estate. “Did he really forget how he treated me or was it all a lie so I’d stay with him? I need to think, but I just can’t stay here, not while Atem’s around.” He then noticed the branches of a tree were level with the window he was at.
Seeing a chance to get away unnoticed, Yugi then opened the window but not before removing the sennen puzzle and flinging it across the room. Luckily the metallic thud it made hadn’t woken Rishid nor did it shatter as it landed on the thick carpeting. Climbing out of the window and into the tree, Yugi breathed a sigh of relief. “I need to find Bakura. I have to know if what happened then was for real and not some wacked out nightmare.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ryou opened the door after Bakura had woken him up and complained about the frantic knocking at their apartment door. “Yugi? What’s the matter?” the white haired hikari asked, shocked at the panting boy in the hall.
“Bakura-sama! Thank Ra you’re safe!” the smaller hikari said glomping him.
“Um… Yugi are you feeling alright? It’s me Ryou,” the slightly taller boy said extricating himself from Yugi’s death grip.
Yugi blinked then noticed that the white haired boy before him indeed was not the tomb robber. First of all the boy’s skin was pale and not tan, second, his eyes did not have that haunted look Bakura had had. “Oh, ano, gomen Ryou-kun,” he said sheepishly and disappointed.
“What in hell’s taking you so long, stupid hikari?” Bakura said, coming to the door. Yugi looked up and stared at him for a few seconds. “What’s he doing here?”
“Bakura-sama!” Yugi promptly glomped him surprising the former tomb robber, covering him in kisses. Ryou giggled as his yami desperately tried to escape the over amorous hikari.
“Is he feeling okay?” Bakura asked glaring at his giggling hikari.
“Don’t you remember me, ‘kura-sama? It’s Harahkti,” Yugi said in ancient Egyptian, clutching onto the yami’s striped shirt. Bakura went paler than his skin, if that was at all possible.
“Wh-what did you just say?” he asked in the same language, not believing his ears.
“Please tell me you remember me,” the tricolor haired boy pleaded still speaking the ancient language, “Please don’t tell me I’m going crazy. Please tell me I was your slave back in Egypt.”
“What is he talking about ‘kura?” Ryou asked, perplexed, only able to understand a few words of the dead language. “What did he mean by slave?”
The thief’s eyes widened then softened in sadness as memories of his little love came to his mind. Ryou’s eyes almost bulged from their sockets at the miserable look on his yami’s face. Never before had he ever seen Bakura look sad, angry and insane, yes, but never ever sad.
“You had better not be messing with me, brat,” he said once again in ancient Egyptian, teasing the boy.
“Never master! It’s really me! I remember everything now!” Yugi replied also in ancient Egyptian.
Tears fell unbidden from the thief’s eyes. Ryou nearly fainted in shock before Bakura knocked him aside. “Get in here before that idiot pharaoh finds you,” he said in Japanese this time, pulling the smaller boy into the apartment.
“Alright Bakura what’s this all about,” Ryou asked not liking being kept out of the loop. “Where’s the puzzle Yugi?” he added finally noticing that the other hikari wasn’t wearing his sennen item like usual.
“Get us something to eat and drink, hikari,” the yami ordered while pulling Yugi into his lap as he sat on the couch. “It’s going to take a long time to explain.” Yugi nodded in agreement, snuggling against the tomb robber’s chest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So that’s how I wound up trapped in that damned ring for five thousand years,” Bakura spat bitterly after telling Ryou of his past with help from Yugi.
“I just can’t believe Yami’s really like that,” Ryou said, in utter disbelief. “I mean look at how he treats Yugi and the rest of us now.”
“Believe me he is,” Yugi said, sadly. “He only acts this way now because he doesn’t remember much of his past, or so he says.”
“But isn’t that a good, thing?” the pale haired hikari asked. “Doesn’t he love you now, Yugi?”
“I highly doubt that,” Bakura replied. “He only loved one person, himself.”
“It can’t go back to the way it was between Atem and me,” Yugi said. “Now that I remember even if he doesn’t. I wish I never listened to Malik and gone with him to give the rod to Kaiba-kun!” Tears began to flow down his cheeks. “I was happy! I had someone who loved me!”
Bakura’s heart went out to the smallest of the three. He’d never admit it, but there were plenty of times when he’d felt like crying at the loss of his lover. And things just got worse for him when he realized that Yugi was Harahkti’s reincarnation. Just as when he had found his lost love, the boy hadn’t even remembered him at the time. That nearly drove him beyond insane to see his former lover in the arms of his most hated enemy. But now that Yugi had his memories back, there was no way in any world he was going to let go.
“I know exactly how you feel, runt,” said the thief, “I’ve spent plenty of time wishing I’d forget everything and start over, but no such luck for me, ne?”
Ryou could only stare. He could hardly believe that the kind, gentle person comforting his friend was indeed his harsh, rude, and somewhat evil yami who he’d known for years.
“So what do we do now, ‘kura-sama?” Yugi asked wiping his eyes with one small hand.
“What do you want to do, little one?” Bakura asked, still cradling his little love.
Yugi sat and thought silently for several minutes, taking comfort from the tomb robber’s presence behind him. “I don’t want revenge anymore, but I just can’t stay with Atem either,” he finally said.
“But what about your grandfather, Yugi?” Ryou asked, guessing at the smaller boy’s plans. “You just can’t move out for no reason.”
“I know but –“
“It’s settled then,” Bakura spoke up interrupting his lover before anymore tears started to flow. “The baka pharaoh moves out, I move in.”
“’kura!”
“’kura-sama!” both hikari shouted in surprise.
The former thief smirked. “It’s the easiest way out of this mess, besides someone’s gotta keep an eye on the runt now. And for the love of Anubis stop calling me “sama”. I freed you long ago, habibi.”
Ryou smiled seeing that his yami was truly happy for the first time in all the years he’d known him. “If that’s what you want ‘kura, then I’m happy for you. It’ll be kinda empty here without you though.”
“Heh! As if you’d notice!” Bakura shot back, a playful grin on his face. “You spend more time with that damned priest than you do at your own home.” Ryou blushed profusely.
“Priest?” Yugi queried, then he realized who the tomb robber was talking about. “Oh you mean… you and Kaiba-kun?!” Ryou, still blushing, nodded. “Honto ni (Really)? When? How long? Why didn’t you tell any of us?!”
Bakura chuckled as Yugi continued to fire a rapid barrage of questions at the pale haired boy. “Please Yugi, slow down. One question at a time please,” he pleaded.
Just thing there was a knock at the door. “I’ll be right back,” Ryou said going to answer it. “I wonder who it can be.” He opened the door to see Yami and Yugi’s friends standing there. All had worried looks on their faces. “Y-Yami what’s going on?” he stammered nervously, knowing the reason why the former pharaoh would be at his door.
“Yugi’s missing,” he replied gravely. “I’m sorry to bother you, but I need to borrow the ring.”
“Like hell you will, pharaoh,” Bakura said coming to the door for a second time that day, deliberately blocking Yugi from their view.
“You. Will. Help. Me. Find. My. Hikari,” the other yami said in a tone the thief recognized as the one Yami had always used five thousand years ago as pharaoh of Egypt.
“What if the brat doesn’t want to be found? Ever think about that pharaoh, or did your brain shrink while you were in the puzzle?” bated Bakura.
“How would you know that?” Anzu asked disdainfully, clinging to Yami’s arm, making the spirit cringe at her touch.
“If you’ve hurt him,” Honda said, cracking his knuckles. “I’ve beaten you before and I can do it again.”
“Heh. In your dreams mortal. I won’t be distracted so easily this time,” Bakura spat back not even fazed by the brunet’s threats. “Besides we all know you want me.”
“YOU’RE GOING DOWN!!!!!” Honda screamed.
“That’s enough ya guys,” Jounouchi yelled, placing himself between the thief and his friends. “We’ve gotta find Yug.”
“You won’t have to Jounouchi-kun,” Yugi said appearing form behind the tomb robber.
“Aibou! Thank Ra you’re all right!” Yami exclaimed in sheer relief. “This *bleep* didn’t hurt you did he? Let’s go home, Yugi.” However, Yugi refused to budge, shaking his head.
“I’m not going anywhere with you until we talk,” he said. Reluctantly, the pharaoh nodded and came into the apartment when the white haired pair moved aside. “In private,” he added to the others as they started to follow.
“Sure, Yug,” Jounouchi said, “Just don’t forget ta fill the rest of us in on what’s goin’ on.”
“I won’t,” the smaller boy said, smiling at his friends.
“But Yugi,” Anzu started, not liking that Yami would be alone with Bakura with only Yugi and Ryou to protect him.
“I’ll be fine, Anzu. Bakura’s not going to hurt me,” he replied.
“Not if you ask me to,” the thief said winking at them, causing Anzu to get a disgusted look on her face. Most of the others blushed then ran off, muttering quick excuses, not wanting to wait for their friend’s response.
“Yugi?” Yami asked when his hikari returned to his place on Bakura’s lap.
“Please Atem, no questions until I’ve explained everything,” Yugi said, trembling slightly. Bakura wrapped his arms around the smaller boy in comfort and he relaxed against the thief’s chest. Yami was too shocked to pay attention to the smug smirk on Bakura’s face.
‘How does he know my real name?’ the other spirit thought, ‘I only remember it when I saw it engraved on that tablet Isis showed us, but I never told him.’
“I know who I am,” Yugi said, sadly. “Or I should say I know who I was in your lifetime.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours later, a very tired and worn out Yugi, Yami and Bakura emerged from Ryou’s apartment. The pale haired tomb robber carrying a dozing Yugi while the former pharaoh was forced to carry Bakura’s suitcase. “I still do not like this,” Yami said, grudgingly. “But if this is what my aibou truly wants, then so be it. I will trade places with you.”
After much discussion, not to mention yelling and screaming – mostly on Yami’s part – they had come to the decision that it would be best if Yami moved into Ryou’s apartment while the white haired boy’s yami moved in with Yugi. Now if only they could get the boy’s grandfather to agree.
“I like it even less than you do, *bleep*,” replied Bakura. “I’ll never trust you with my hikari. Just remember that blood oath you swore. Anything happens to Ryou in your presence…”
“I know. I know. You’ll hand me over to your deck.”
“Heh, what’s left of you that is.”
Yami was silent after that, wishing to be left alone with his thoughts. He still could not believe that he could ever treat such an angel like Yugi so badly. But there was no denying it, he could tell his hikari wasn’t lying about what had happened five thousand years ago. He could never be near the other tricolor haired boy again. He didn’t deserve to be. It was for the best that he’d go alone with their plan and hope that none of them would come to regret it.
“I hope grandfather doesn’t mind too much,” Yami said once they reached the door to the game shop’s living quarters.
“Once he sees it’s what the little one wants, he won’t mind,” Bakura said, holding Yugi close as the cold air got colder.
“I meant what I said back there too, you know. If you dare hurt him in anyway…”
“In all this time, have I ever?” the thief replied, smirking.
“I’m just warning you, raider.”
“Stop with the fighting already, you’re giving me a headache,” said a half awake Yugi.
“Gomen aibou,” apologized Yami. “I just not used to trusting this son of a jackal.”
“Well, you’d better,” Yugi said, pouting and glaring at him.
“As you wish, hikari,” Yami said sadly and opened the door.
Bakura continued to smirk as he gave the boy in his arms a chaste kiss on the forehead. “Mmm. Aishiteru ‘kura,” Yugi said falling asleep again.
“Mou ashiteru, little habibi,” Bakura replied as he followed the pharaoh into his new home.

~Owari~

Sakura: Awww… ;_; I don’t want this to end!

Yami: Thank Ra it has. Now I can get my hikari back.

Yugi: Um… Yami… pleasedon’tbemadbutikindalikebakuranow.

Yami: Aibou I can’t understand you.

Sakura: He said that he likes ‘kura-sama now. ^_^

Yami: Don’t even joke about that onna.

Bakura: She’s not. (eg)

Yami: Get your filthy paws off Yugi!

Sakura: (thwaps Yami with Sanzo’s fan)

Bakura: Arigatou.

Sakura: My pleasure. Anyway tell me whatcha think minna. If I get a heap of reviews, I’ll put up a special side story I wrote featuring Ryou and Seto ^_^ So gimme feedback, ‘k?