Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Magician's Fight ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“Set us free, Arcana. It's not too late to stop this!” My master's voice boomed as he stood, legs spread in a defiant stance. I hovered a few inches above the ground, arms crossed silently. I carefully rearranged my arm guards and gave my opposing side a glare.
“Not until I win your Dark Magician!” My master Yami twitched at the sound of my name.
“Then make a move.” He replied in a threatening growl.
“With great pleasure.” Arcana's sickly sweet voice cut my ears and I could barely avoid looking away from his ugly, masked face. I continued my quiet watch, suspiciously eyeing the Dark Magician on the other side of the field. It amazing me how similar we looked, but for the fact his hair was white while mine was purple, and he sported a red tunic while mine was a royal purple. Our armor glinted back at the others, and our clothing billowed lightly as we stood in midair, waiting for a command. “Hmmm…I place one card facedown. Ready for the shadow realm?” Ah, the shadow realm…such a place I was used to, since I rested there whenever my card was not in play. For a mortal, or at least for my ancient master's mortal body, he would not live. His soul would separate from his body and would probably die. However, I silently promised I would give my life to protect his. Such a pact I had kept so far, since the time I had been mortal and protected his young Egyptian prince body. The memories of how I, as a mortal, had protected and cared for him until my death, when I became what I am now, rushed back to me, but I pushed them away to continue our duel. We would not lose.
“I won't lose.” Master Yami voiced his thoughts, drawing a card as he spoke. He glanced at it. “I place two cards facedown.”
“Time to spice up this show!” Arcana drawled. “Ha! Ready, Yugi?” His hand shot up dramatically and he flipped the card. “I reveal a magic card…Beckon to the Dark!!!” Holographic clouds formed, and thunder crackled menacingly. Then, a vortex opened between the clouds and a disgustingly moldy, red hand emerged.
“No!!! My Dark Magician!” Yami shouted as the hand came at me. I knew that I couldn't escape on my own, but if my master didn't save me, so be it. Arcana laughed.
“That's right, Yugi, you should be scared. With its gruesome claw, this card snatches up an opponent's monster and transports it directly to the graveyard. You can say goodbye to your Dark Magician!!!” No…I thought. The clawed hand leapt for me and grasped me tightly around the torso in a choking death-grip, pinning both my arms to my sides. The shock, I was positive, was very clear on my face as it began to carry me back to the dark clouds from where it had come. I kept a firm grip on my staff and thrashed a bit, trying to free myself even though my death was more then likely guaranteed.
“Oh, really? Afraid not! You didn't count on THIS…Mystical Rev-Panel!” The hand released me and I dropped back down to my spot, magically keeping myself afloat again. My master thinks of everything…”This trap card will counter the darkness of your magic card and spare my monster!” I smiled ever so slightly. Life had always been on the edge, and my master always saved me.
“Ha ha! But not for long.”
“We'll see…”
“We will. Beckon to the Dark was a decoy, to get you to waste your trap card.” Arcana cackled insanely and flipped another card. “I knew that you would fall for that trick. Now, it's MY turn to play a trap card, Yugi. Nightmare's Chains!” The card glowed and a hologram appeared, rusty chains flying from it. They shot towards me and wrapped around me, dragging me to a giant cross on which they pinned me. I grunted as I was swung against the heavy stone. “These chains will bind your Dark Magician, putting him out of play and leaving YOU open to a direct attack!” I grimaced, wondering how badly I had been bruised from the brutal thrash I had received. Snarling, I met the eyes of the other Dark Magician. He grinned back at me.
“No! My Dark Magician is trapped!”
Arcana laughed at my helplessness and continued his annoying speech. “Your monster is hung up for the moment; all he can do is look on helplessly as I destroy his master!” He laughed again and I looked out of the corner of my blue eyes to see my furious master growl. “Of course, you won't be his master for much longer, so it doesn't really matter, I suppose. Soon he will belong to Master Marik! Now, prepare yourself…it's…“ His Magician leapt forward. “…show time! Dark Magician, attack Yugi's life points directly!” My mirror's white hair bounced around as he summoned a ball of dark energy, aimed strait at Yami. Yami yelled as he was engulfed in a dark glowing energy, eyes wide and hands clenched. I looked despairingly at him, cursing myself for my inactive position. He panted as the energy left, sucking away most of his life points. Concerned, I kept a close eye on him.
Arcana giggled. “This is turning into QUITE the performance! And now, watch my friends!” He shouted to his pretend audience. Only a nutcase could come up with this. “The energy disk will send Yugi's mind to the Shadow Realm! Hahahahaha! I'm almost ready for my grand finale Yugi! Marik will be very pleased…but why spoil it? It's time for the final move!”
Yami drew again. I silently prayed for a card that would save him. “Now, I will summon my Big-Shield Gardna, in defense mode!” The monster appeared, crouched behind his large shield.
“Look at you, cowering behind your monster, trying to hold off your inevitable defeat at the hands of MY mighty Dark Magician! I'm afraid that defense won't help you, after my next turn, your life points will be zero! I promise you!”
Yami gasped slightly and I fidgeted, but it got me nowhere-the chains held me tightly against the cross.
“Now if you're done with your turn, it's time for my next move. I will also summon a monster. Say hello…to the Doll of Demise!” An ugly, cackling dummy appeared in front of the holographic card. “And now, Yugi, behold the magic card that will annihilate you! I play Ecto Plasmer!” Yami groaned quietly. “Confused, Yugi? Let me explain it for you. Ecto Plasmer is a magic card that drains the soul of one of my monsters, creating a pure concentrated form of energy known as Ecto Plasmer, which is then fired directly at you!”
“What?!” Yami gasped in a horrified tone, thrown off guard by this odd card. I despaired for Arcana's Dark Magician. What had this come to? “If you turn your own monsters into hollow shells, they'll be of no use!”
Once again, Arcana laughed, crowing his reply. “Maybe so, but when I destroy you I'll have no use for them anyway!” His Magician suddenly uncrossed his arms and looked frightened, just like me. “Then my task will be complete! Say goodbye, Yugi! I'm about to drain the rest of your life points by draining one of my monster's souls away! Extract Ecto Plasmer!” His dummy glowed brightly and a mist quickly emitted from it…its soul! It hovered for a moment and was directed at Yami. Yami covered his face with his arms and sagged forward as it hit him. However, he didn't fall on his knees, showing his clear defiance. A weaker mortal would have fallen by now, I knew. My sapphire eyes were wide with fear and I looked upon my poor master in great concern, teeth gritted tightly. “You played well, Yugi, but do you know why you and your beloved Dark Magician couldn't beat me? You're too soft!” Yami snarled in reply. “Monsters respond best to fear! You have to make certain they are afraid of you!” The red Dark Magician still looked afraid, and he trembled slightly, gripping his staff. “You will never command their respect with kindness and trust! Just look what happened to your favorite card! The Dark Magician!” I looked down at Yami. My arms were sore from being clamped in that position for so long, my muscles bulging through the thin purple fabric as I hung there. “You are the master, they are the servant, and they should ensure victory for you even if it means you have to destroy them!” I'm sure his magician had caught on by now…he was to be sacrificed to kill my master. I wouldn't allow it.
“You're a sick man!” Yami spat back.
“It's MY show, and MY Dark Magician. He knows I am his master. He is nothing but my pawn.” His magician looked back nervously, sweat shining on his face. “Now, for the grand finale! Activate Ecto Plasmer! Extract the soul of my Dark Magician!” His frightened Dark Magican glowed and fell limp, like the dummy, and his soul became visible. It was aimed at Yami, who tensed, ready for the final hit.
“Stop now.” Yami commanded him. “This duel has already gone way too far.” His forehead was furrowed, and time went by in slow heartbeats.
“Not when I'm about to WIN! Goodbye!” The soul came towards my master. I blinked as a sudden shock ran down my spine. I was ready, and my body tingled with magic. I began to glow, directing all my energy to drawing out my own soul. “Ah! What's happening?” Arcana yelled. I stayed chained, sweating with the effort of the magic spell. My head was down, eyes closed, taking small breaths. “But…that's impossible!”
“My Dark Magician!” Yami gasped. My breath huffed out, mouth open, and my head dropped to my chest. It all felt like it was in slow motion…my soul came free and I felt no longer shackled to the cross. I stood guarding my master loyally; a bright ball of light. Yami yelled as I took shape, looking like my lifeless body still shackled to the cross, arms outspread protectively. Arcana was shocked, mouth hanging wide open as he watched the display. He slowly came to the realization of what was happening before him. The soul of the other magician pushed against me and I pushed back, defending my master.
“They'll both be destroyed!” Arcana moaned. Yami looked speechless. I gave him a parting smile and felt my soul, and the other Dark Magician's, shatter. This was the end for me, for now, but I had felt my apprentice nearby, and I knew at that moment, Yami would win.