Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Live ❯ Meant to Live, Part 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Again, Warning: Shounen-ai and

Disclaimer: I don't own YuGiOh or the lyrics to "Meant to Live" by SwitchFoot

Same stuff as last time so let's get right to the story!

Meant to Live, Part 3

(Ryou's POV)

*We want more than the wars of our fathers*

"What about your life?" He questioned getting very into it.

Why was he so concerned all of the sudden? It's almost scary… But he's taking interest in your life, you should be happy. But I'll just hurt him when I go… `cause I won't be able to come back…

"What it's worth."

"And what do you think it's worth?"

"Whatever you tell me it is."

"You shouldn't base your views on the views of others."

"I don't have any views or thoughts of my own… I just follow what's given to me."

"Why? You could be a very interesting person if you lived you own life. Not that you aren't now."

I'm interesting? Then why does everyone turn away from me? Why does everyone ignore me?

"Y-you think I'm interesting?"

I was blushing when I said that. It's so embarrassing talking to him, even if he can't see my face…

"Yeah, what's wrong with it?"

"You never have before…"

"Well I do now. Deal with it. You should get some sleep now. Even if you aren't tired, you probably want to go to school tomorrow."

School. I forgot about school. How could I go with such a temperature? But I'm going for the attendance award; I can't afford to miss a day.

"Yeah… school…"

"You don't have to go if you don't want to; I'm not forcing you to."

"But I want the perfect attendance award. I need to be in everyday."

"Then someone else will take your place. Let me go to fill in for you."

"What?!"

How could he? He doesn't know enough to be in first grade! Wait! Tomorrow is the last day before vacation! We're having parties in all of my classes!

"I said I'll go for you."

"You sure? There will be parties in all of my classes so you won't have to learn anything."

"It's fine. You'll need to rest tomorrow."

"Thank you Bakura. How can I repay you for this?"

It was not like him to do something without receiving something atleast equally better.

"Nothing, I want to help. You just rest now. I'll stay here until you fall asleep."

"Thank you again."

I was so surprised at that. He was actually doing something without looking for a payment, let alone caring for someone.

I turned on my side and faced the wall. Almost instantly sleep found it's way to me. I guess the medicine was starting to take effect…

(Bakura's POV)

He looks so adorable sleeping… Just like a helpless child…

/That's right, helpless. You could take advantage of him right now./

//I'd never! I promised him I'd go to school for him. If I promise to do something nice and then do something that horrible it would be so mean!//

/But that's what you are./

//Not anymore!//

Ryou, I promise I've changed… for the better. I promise to never hurt you. I promise to never put you down. I promise to always be there for you. I promise to always protect you. So why can't I tell you?

As I sat in the chair I felt tiredness taking over my body. In the morning I'll make sure you're all right… I promise…

~the next morning~

I was first to wake up… like always. I won't wake him until I leave… that way he can get as much sleep as possible.

Finding an outfit that Ryou would wear, I walked downstairs and searched for a brush that was strong enough to withstand my crazy hair. I don't understand how Ryou does it. I mean, we have the same hair, don't we?

After much struggle, and the braking of 3 brushes, I sat down to breakfast. Not much, Ryou must have forgotten to go to the convenience store. Oh well, I won't die after all. Quickly, you don't want to be late. Well, you don't want Ryou to be late.

Finally done! How does he always go so quickly every morning? I looked in the mirror and almost saw myself as Ryou. Did I do that well of a job? Time to wake the other me. He still looks so peaceful…

"Ryou, it's morning. Time to wake up."

"Huh? Is this a dream?"

"No baka, it's morning and I'm going to school for you today."

"Oh, when did I fall asleep?"

"Almost immediately. I slept in the chair to watch over you."

His eyes widened.

"You stayed in an uncomfortable position all night just for me?!"

"Calm down! You still have a fever, remember?"

It shouldn't be that surprising anyway.

"Okay. But thanks for doing this for me."

"I already said I want to. Now try to get as much rest as possible and take the medicine if needed. If I find out you took more than the recommended dose, You won't be very happy."

"Sorry, I won't. But you know the way?"

"Yeah, I had to get there yesterday when you fainted."

"All right, bye then."

I just smiled at him as I walked towards the front door and left. I never knew I could smile. When did I learn? When I saw Ryou smile at me, that's when.

*And everything inside screams for second life, yeah*

I forgot that I have to get along with his friends… and that idiot Pharaoh! I guess I can deal, it's only one day after all.

Approaching the main doors I saw Yugi and Atemu standing there. Are they holding hands?! What the hell happened that I don't know about?! Better put on a smile, just like Ryou's. His beautiful smile…

"Hey Yugi! Hi Atemu!" I tried to sound as cheerful, sweet, and innocent as Ryou normally does.

"Oh hi Ryou. Are you ok from yesterday?"

Of course Yugi would care about him, he cares about everyone. Just like Ryou…

"Yeah I'm feeling better." I tried to think of something Ryou would say. "Did I miss anything important?" He cared a lot about school, I knew that much.

"Not really, only review. Oh, we might have a quiz in English today."

"A quiz?!" I could barely understand Japanese, let alone learn English! This is not good…

"It's ok, we can help you study at lunch."

I hate Atemu… I hate Atemu… But Ryou doesn't so I'll have to control myself.

"Thank you." I said in as kind of a voice I could muster to the Pharaoh.

"We'd better go in, we don't want to be late for first period!" Yugi ran off, and I tried to follow. I don't know where his classrooms are! I guess I'm stuck following the Pharaoh all day…

"Hey Ryou! You better already?" It was Jonouchi. I didn't know Ryou was so close to these fools.

"Yes, thank you Jonouchi."

"We got scared back there when you just passed out in the middle of class."

Honda… I always disliked him…

"I'm fine now, but thank you all for worrying."

It wasn't so hard to act like Ryou… I might try this more often…

"So what happened with Bakura? I saw him yesterday when I was heading back to class."

Oh right! I forgot about that! What should I say?

"He… uh… well, he's acting kinder than usual."

"Really? I didn't know the Tomb Robber had a heart."

Grrr… when the day is over you are so going to get it Atemu!

"He can be very nice, he actually stayed up all last night to watch over me while I slept."

Who said I couldn't brag? I do to have a heart! And it's pretty big, I might add.

"You're kidding, right? Bakura?"

Okay, calm down. Ryou wouldn't yell so you have to keep your cool. Even if it is Atemu, you have to stay in control.

"No, I'm not kidding. Bakura really did do that."

"Wow, who would have known?"

I can hear sarcasm you fool! I'm not enjoying your antics!

"Well, I can't remember where my seat is. Can someone show me?"

Good cover up. I hope…

"You must have damaged your head more than you think! It's right here Ryou."

Yugi is always helping, isn't he? Sometimes it makes me sick… Only Ryou can be that nice!

"Thank you Yugi."

I sat down and waited for the class to begin. Atemu kept on glancing at me all through the period. I think he suspects something…

After the class was over I made sure to follow Yugi to Ryou's next class. It's going to be so hard…

"Do you need help getting to your classes and remembering where you're supposed to sit?"

Yugi again. He really never gives up.

"Yes, thank you. That would be great."

"It's a good thing we have all of the same classes."

Good thing for me, I'd be lost if they didn't. Yugi is good for something after all…

The next two classes were so long… How did Ryou last the day?! I can barely sit through 3 parties, and I like to party. Speaking of Ryou, I wonder how he's doing…

/Ryou, you there?/

//Bakura?//

/Yeah, I just wanted to make sure you're ok./

//You've barely made it through three classes and you of all people are worrying?//

/Yes, your friends haven't suspected that I'm not you yet. Although, the Pharaoh seems to be suspicious./

//Can't you call him by his name?//

/No, I can't. Not unless I'm trying to be you./

//Well, I'm fine. I've been relaxing most of the time. Well, I can't help it but I've been working on your room. It's filthy.//

/You think you can clean my room? That'll take days! You really should be resting!/

//I know, I'm sorry. Goodbye.//

The link was separated then. Why doesn't he care that working will make his condition worse? He worries me sometimes…

"Ryou, are you in there?"

"Huh? Oh yeah, I am."

I hadn't realized that Yugi was trying to get my attention.

"Okay, you just looked like you were dozing off into space. Were you contacting Bakura?"

"Um, yeah. Bakura wanted me to after every few periods to make sure I'm still feeling well."

It wasn't a full lie; I wanted to contact Ryou after every few periods.

"Okay then. During lunch we're going to sit near the tree again."

"Sure. Thanks for telling me."

"We'd better get to class or Mrs. Kali will have a fit."

"Right."

Lunch comes so quickly in this school. I wonder what Ryou normally does during lunch…

"This way Ryou!" Yugi shouted as he ran slightly ahead.

How could someone get so excited over being under a tree with friends? Well that's Yugi for you.

"Coming!" I tried to sound as cheerful as possible, considering I just went through 4 parties.

Everyone was already there when we arrived; even Atemu had left Yugi and me.

"Sorry we're late! We're going to have to help Ryou study for the quiz we might have in English."

"We might have a quiz?! So that's what the teach was rambling about…" Jonouchi could be so ignorant at times…

Yugi pulled out a binder he had in his bag, and nearly everyone followed in suit.

"Where's your book Ryou?" Yugi was asking me as though I should have known to bring it.

"Um, I left it in my locker…"

"That's ok, we've got all the notes you'll need."

"Uh, thanks for helping me." They weren't so bad if you stuck around them long enough. All except that stupid Pharaoh! Why does he keep eyeing me?!

"I know, `Ryou' " Atemu spoke, almost as if reading my mind.

"What do you mean?" I was trying to sound innocent and not lose my cool at the same time.

"Shall I really say?"

Now he's just trying to piss me off.

"Yes, please do."

Everyone else was alternating glancing from Atemu to me.

"Don't think you fooled me Bakura."

Great! Now everyone knows!

"Bakura?!" Yugi sounded so surprised. If I couldn't fool the Pharaoh, why not just fool his light?

"Yeah, it's me."

"Then where's Ryou?"

"Home. Hopefully sleeping."

"So all of the things you said you did, you really did do?"

"Yeah, you have a problem with that?"

Don't get pissed, they're just caring for Ryou. But I'm the only one who can care for Ryou! The only one!

"N-no, just surprised."

"Well, are you going to help me study to pass Ryou's quiz or what?" changing the subject was easy in this case.

"I'm only doing this for Ryou's sake, just to let you know."

The Pharaoh always has to be so bitter, doesn't he?

"I'm glad about it, too."

"Let's just study, okay?" I knew Yugi hated fighting.

"Fine."

"Humph! I guess…" The Pharaoh was so reluctant to help.