Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Mobile ❯ Chapter I ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Notes: Still having computer issues. Now, it's years later, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to ever finish my fanfics. I've kinda lost inspiration for a lot of them. And I don't really have much time. But I'm trying to at least finish up some of my old ones and post an occasional (really occasional) one-shot.
 
I started this sometime in April 2005 when I was on vacation, but I've been trying not to post stuff until the entire story is typed up, so all I have to do is access the Internet and post the chapters.
 
This story has been written in its entirety (save last-minute revisions before posting) so expect fairly frequent updates.
 
Disclaimer: (This applies to the entire story, unless otherwise specified) The characters and setting from Yu-Gi-Oh! are the intellectual property of Kazuki Takahashi. The lyrics from the song, “Mobile,” are the intellectual property of Avril Lavigne. However, the sequence of plot, monologue, and dialogue are the intellectual property of Lightning Sage. Do not copy this story, edited or otherwise.
 
Lyrics Note: Lyrics from Avril Lavigne's “Mobile” will be written in bold italics, and separated from story text using hyphens (-).
 
Pairing Note: The pairing is Seto Kaiba x ?? It is shounen-ai on a physical level (just so you're warned), and you'll find out more on that later.
 
Anyway, enjoy!
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Mobile
 
-
 
Seto Kaiba's Point of View
 
-
 
Chapter I:
 
-
 
It's been fifteen years since I've been to Domino. It seems as if nothing has changed since I left, but I've always learned that appearances can be deceiving.
 
-
 
Went back home again
 
This sucks; gotta pack up and leave again
 
-
 
It makes me wonder what things will truly be like once I enter the greater depths of the city. Will I recognize anyone?
 
I hope not. The last thing I wanted was yet another painful reminder of the events and mistakes of my past.
 
But logically, Yugi Mutou would still be in town. He was obviously destined to take over his grandfather's game shop.
 
Being back in Domino must be getting to me; I just used a form of the word `destiny' in my sentence.
 
Destiny.
 
Fate.
 
That's the nonsense Yugi used to preach about. Well, now that I think about it, the other Yugi was usually the one to invent stories about a past life in Ancient Egypt. Or maybe Ishizu was the one to come up with these wild stories, and Other Yugi, in turn, repeated her lies. It was all part of some elaborate scheme to mess with my head.
 
Either way, they didn't succeed. Ishizu couldn't make up a halfway decent story if her life depended on it, and Other Yugi is a terrible liar.
 
I wonder if either of them are still around.
 
Well, I'm pretty sure Ishizu went back to Egypt with her brother, Malik.
 
To be frank, the other Yugi the one I'm really interested to know about. Since he and Yugi share the same body, everything Other Yugi were to partake in would show up under Yugi's name. But even Yugi Mutou's name is no longer very common in the Duel Monsters news, especially since he gave up his title as Game King.
 
He gave up his Game King title to somebody else. That title belongs to me, and me alone. And worse, he gave it up to some nobody! He relinquished it to some newbie that I've never heard of. His name is Delano Vadin.
 
Other Yugi--Yugi--whoever was responsible for their loss to Delano--you're a disgrace to Duel Monsters!
 
I think I'll have to visit Yugi so he can explain to me what the hell is going on. As far as I know, he hasn't even challenged Delano to a rematch. And knowing the other Yugi's competitive nature, I'd think he would have already convinced Yugi to challenge Delano (meaning Other Yugi should have convinced Yugi that the fate of the world depends on their victory). So why hasn't he?
 
Unless…Other Yugi is gone.
 
No. He can't be.
 
Besides, I'm sure I would have gotten a pathetic phone call from one of Yugi's idiotic friends. They probably would've given him a funeral, and they'd want me to be there because they've deluded themselves into thinking I am their friend.
 
How can you give a funeral to an already dead spirit, anyway? Well, leave it to those geeks to pull something like that.
 
-
 
Said goodbye to all of my friends
 
Can't say when I'll be there again
 
-
 
I hate to admit it, but I wish I had come back to Domino sooner. It's a very unique area. The day is highly commercial; after all, it is an urban city. A lot of cities I've worked in, such as New York, are like that twenty-four hours a day. The difference with Domino is that the night is quiet. There is an utter silence that occurs under the cloak of darkness. In Domino, nighttime is a time for family. Regrettably, I seldom spent any time with Mokuba, even at night. There was always work to be done.
 
Mokuba, who is the Vice President of Kaiba Corporation, has agreed to watch over the entire company while I take care of the difficulties in the Domino sector. Usually Mokuba is the one who travels around to solve the problems that occur in branches of the company, but apparently my help is needed to solve certain problems. There's been a huge computer crash that no one can seem to solve, and Mokuba claims he won't be able to figure it out, even though I've taught him how to fix computers when they crash. I reckon he's just sick of traveling around to solve problem after problem while I stay in our headquarters in New York City and do everything there.
 
What can I say? I'd rather yell at people over the phone. Mokuba's always been the one better at handling people, anyway.
 
Besides, firing incompetent employees serves as good stress management.
 
It is nine o'clock; darkness has just fallen. In the horizon there is a dim blue light. The rest of the sky is shrouded in darkness, and the stars sparkle in the distance.
 
The silence is complete.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Author's Notes: This chapter is unique because it's written more in a stream-of-consciousness style rather than normal prose. While the remainder of the story does contain some stream-of-consciousness on Kaiba's part, there will be more dialogue and plot in the future chapters.
 
Names: I've been debating whether to use the Japanese or Americanized names, but I think it'll depend on the individual character. Don't worry, each character will at least be consistent with himself (and for all of you reading this, you'd better tell me if I start out with Joey and randomly switch to Jonouchi! lol)
 
The name of the dark spirit who resides in the Millennium Puzzle: I wanted to go by how Kaiba (and many others) refer to him in the manga: “the other Yugi” or “Other Yugi.” I wanted to emphasize his lack of real identity for the majority of Kazuki Takahashi's Yu-Gi-Oh! series.
 
Please REVIEW! even if you're not participating in the challenge…I'd love to hear what you think of this story so far.