Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Nemo ❯ Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
* * *
Untitled/Nemo
by Edmondia Dantes

Disclaimer: Not mine.

* * *
- Part Two -

The trip back to the Kame Game Shop is sheer hell.

They've fallen three times, stumbled seven, and twice Yugi's had to stop and prop him up while he's wheezing. They stand at the end of the block, and he can feel Yugi's shoulders trembling with fatigue. He'd do something about it if he could - but his whole body feels useless and he knows if Yugi weren't there to hold he'd be facedown in the gutter.

"We'll have to sneak in," Yugi says apprehensively, eying the darkened shop. It's late - past midnight, he thinks, but Yugi doesn't wear a watch so he's not certain. It's not the latest they've been out, and sneaking back in is nothing new. They've done it a thousand times before, and Yugi's an expert at not being heard, but with his own body's useless weight, how can they manage?

He tries to speak again, but his tongue won't move and his lips feel numb.

Yugi straightens up, his grip tightening on his waist, and determinedly takes a step forward.

The first sound he manages to make is a soft cry of startlement when his legs won't move at all and he nearly slides out of Yugi's arms. But Yugi would never let him fall, so they wind up bent nearly double, panting against each other's ears and shakily balancing themselves together.

"It's okay," Yugi breathes once they're upright again, and wriggles around until he's facing his back. "Can you put your arms around my neck?"

It takes him what feels like a century before he's got his face buried in Yugi's hair and his arms around his neck. The links of the Puzzle's chain bite into his arms, giving him some semblance of sensation, unpleasant though it is. He's having trouble breathing again, but at least Yugi is warm.

"O-okay," Yugi breathes, and slips his hands under his thighs and heaves him onto his back.

If he could cling, he would, but he can't seem to move anymore, and Yugi stumbles down the block and fumbles at the lock with his key. He tries to push away to give him more room but the instant his fingers unlatch from his jacket he slides to the ground.

He stares blankly up at the empty sky while Yugi curses quietly and jiggles the door handle. There aren't any stars, but he doesn't know if that is because it's overcast or because there are too many lights in Domino City.

Yugi shoves open the door with a soft cry of triumph and props it open with his foot. Then he turns and bends and grasps him underneath the arms and slowly drags him inside. The shop is cool and quiet and clean, and his hands trail limply over the cool linoleum.

Yugi carefully releases him once he's fully inside and shuts the door. It takes him a bit longer to lock it, so while he does, he concentrates on breathing. He can't seem to manage to sit upright, though he tries as hard as he can.

Yugi groans softly and kneels at his side, touching his shoulders delicately, gently brushing the tangle of bangs away from his eyes. "Think we can make it to the living room?" he asks wearily, and he knows what he's thinking, that he can pull down a pillow from the couch, that the cheap rug will at least be warmer than this. He's right, but exhausted, and he's done too much for him already.

He tries to push himself up again, but his arms tremble and his stomach churns, and he slumps down with a soft moan of defeat, looking up at Yugi with empty eyes.

They're both filthy and trembling and cold. He still can't breathe right and he's so numb.

Slowly, slowly, Yugi pulls him towards the back. He watches the clock on the wall - it's not digital, so it takes him a few moments to decipher what it says. 12:49 am.

By the time it slips out of his vision, it's past one.

He isn't quite sure just how long it takes for Yugi to drag him into the living room - he's stuggling to keep his eyes open as it is. But finally, they stop and both slump, sprawled out over the carpet. He can feel Yugi beside him, warm and alive, and desperately wants to hold him. He doesn't know why.

After a few moments of silence, Yugi stirs, and leans over him to drag a few pillows down from the couch. He watches his throat as he breathes, not minding that the Puzzle is digging into his stomach. It's a sensation he knows well, and the weight is comforting and warm.

Slowly, awkwardly, Yugi lifts his head and settles the pillow beneath it. They don't have a blanket, and Yugi's much too tired to even think of moving to get one.

He tries to smile his thanks, and he's sure it doesn't work, but Yugi leans on him for a moment, and he knows he understands. Then he takes his own pillow and settles quietly beside him. He longs to turn into his warmth, but he just can't move, and Yugi's eyes are dark and turned away. He watches his back shift beneath the blue jacket, and he knows he isn't supposed to hear it when Yugi breathes, "Oh God," and buries his face in his hands.

The night is quiet - neon numerals on the VCR blare the time, and he blinks for a long moment. 1:37 am. Gods, he's tired. He can't remember the last time he was this tired - the body usually goes to Yugi for sleep, but now...

Yugi voice is a bare, broken whisper. "Oh God, what do we do now?"

He wants to speak, to reach for him, to comfort him, but his lips just won't move. His head falls back, and his last glimpse is of his savior crying silently with fatigue and stress.

Aibou... he whispers, and then everything fades to black.

* * *

Part Three
Story Home

Feedback?

Back to YGO Fanfic
Back to Fanfics
Back Home