Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ New Girl, New Talent ❯ New Girl, New Talent ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

New Girl, New Talent

"Seree, would you please come down here?" Her mother called upstairs.

"What is it mom?" Seree asked as she reached the bottom of the stairs.

"How would you like to go visit your cousin Ryou in Japan?" Her mother asked.

"Why are you trying to get rid of me?!" She asked her mother suspiciously.

"You're father's been getting drunk lately and I don't want him coming home to beat you."

"Mom, how long has this been going on?!"

"For two weeks now."

"Mom! I would've heard something if he was abusing you!!" She screamed.

"Please Seree, do this for me." Her mother pleaded just as she heard her husband's car pull up.

"He's here, go to your room, grab what you'll need, and go to the airport, here's your ticket!" Her mother ordered quickly.

"Mom! I can't leave you here to take his abuse!!" Seree yelled.

"Just go!! I'll be fine, your uncle already knows what's going on, he's expecting to pick you up tonight, now hurry!!" Her mother said while pushing her up the stairs.

Just as Seree got to her room, her father walked in and slammed the door.

"Where's that sixteen year old brat!" He yelled.

"She's seventeen, and she's a safe distance away from you!" Her mother yelled back.

Hearing the rage in her father's voice, Seree quickly grabbed her things, including her deck of duel monsters cards and went out the window as quickly as she could. She got to the airport and showed them her ticket; they showed her the gate to her plane and she walked on. She was shown to her seat and she sat down waiting for take-off. She reached Japan several hours later and looked for her uncle. She saw him waiting for her and she ran up to him, giving him a hug.

"How are you?" He asked.

"I left my mom to take my father's abuse, how do you think I am!" She snapped.

"Okaaay, how bout we just get you home?" He asked.

"Fine with me." She huffed.

They got to her uncle's a while later and he walked in with her, calling up to Ryou.

"Ryou, come down and see your cousin!"

"Coming!" he called, running down the stairs and hugging Seree.

"Are you going to be okay Seree?" He asked gently.

"Gee, let me go home and shoot my father in the gut a few times and maybe I'll be okay." She answered angrily and sarcastically at the same time. "Nice necklace by the way." She said as she gathered her belongings and headed for the guest room.

<<Ryou, who the hell is she?!>> Bakura asked through their mental link with a hint of interest to his voice.

<She's my cousin.> Ryou answered calmly.

<<Why is she so pissed at her father? >> Bakura asked.

<Because he gets drunk, comes home and beats her mom, and her mom sent her here to protect her.> Ryou answered sadly.

<<Can I come out and meet her?! >> Bakura asked with excitement.

<Come out beside me, or come out and use my body?> Ryou asked.

<<Use your body. >> Bakura answered.

<You're not going to hurt her are you?> Ryou asked tiredly.

<<No! I just want to meet her. >> Bakura answered.

<Fine.> Ryou answered with a sigh.

Bakura came out and headed upstairs. He walked into Seree's room and came up behind her tapping her on the shoulder as she sorted through her clothes.

"Not now Ryou, I'm not in the mood to talk!" She said harshly.

"Too bad, because I am in the mood to talk." Bakura said.

"Listen Ryou…" Seree started as she turned around. She screamed and said,

"You're not Ryou!!"

Ryou chose that time to take control of his body and force Bakura to materialize beside him.

"Calm down Seree, he's just the spirit of my ring, his name is Bakura." Ryou explained.

Seree fainted before Ryou could say anything else.

"Well that's not good." He stated, looking at Bakura.

Bakura looked at him and said,

"Oh alright, I'll put her on the bed." After Ryou suggested it through their mental link.

"Man, doesn't she eat anything?!" Bakura asked as he realized how light she was.

"She's probably lost her appetite with everything that's happened." Ryou stated.

"Ryou, Seree, dinner time!" His dad called upstairs.

"Okay" Ryou shouted as he ran down the stairs.

"Where's Seree?" His father asked.

"She's sleeping." Ryou answered. "Must be from the jet lag." He finished.

"Alright, we should probably let her rest." His father stated as they started eating.

After dinner, Ryou remembered that his friends were coming over the next morning.

"Oh no, Dad, My friends are coming over tomorrow, what about Seree?!" Ryou asked, panicked.

"Just tell them the truth." His dad answered simply.

"I can't, I don't think she wants total strangers to know what's happening in her home life!" Ryou exclaimed.

"Just tell them she's your cousin from America, and that she's visiting." His dad said calmly. "Besides, I won't be here for a couple months; remember, I have to leave for Egypt tomorrow morning?"

"I remember, dad. I'll miss you while you're away." Ryou said.

"I know son. But we'll see each other again soon." His dad said to cheer him up. "Besides, it'll give you and Seree some quality time together." He finished.

"I guess you're right." Ryou said before heading to his room.

The next day, the doorbell rang and Ryou ran to the door to greet his friends. Lucky for him, Seree wasn't up yet.

"Hello guys." Ryou greeted them.

"Hey Ryou, how's it going?" Joey asked as he stepped in followed by Yami, Yugi, and Tristan.

They walked into the kitchen and Ryou set down food on the table.

"So, what do you want to do today Ryou?" Yugi asked.

"Well, first I better go see if my yami is up; I'll be back in a sec." Ryou said as a cover up so he could go and check on Seree.

Ryou walked upstairs and to Seree's room and knocked on her door.

"Seree, are you awake? Do you want something to eat?" Ryou asked through the door.

The door opened and Seree stepped out wearing a casual dress outfit.

"Uh, Seree, why are you dressed up?" He asked her.

"I want to go to the church after I eat breakfast and pray for my mother to be kept safe." She answered, pushing past him and heading downstairs.

"Seree, no, wait!" Ryou called quietly after her.

Seree turned around and asked teasingly,

"What are you nervous about Ryou, are you hiding something in the kitchen that I'm not supposed to see?"

"No, it's just, I, well." Ryou tried to explain but Seree was not interested and continued heading downstairs.

Ryou ran in front of her as she reached the bottom step and said a little too loudly,

"No, you can't go in there!"

"How the hell am I supposed to get the nutrients I need if you won't let me go to the kitchen to eat something! I'd like to get to the church before noon!" Seree yelled at him growing impatient with his attempts to stop her from reaching her destination.

Ryou smacked his forehead; there was no way his friends didn't hear that. He decided to just follow Seree to the kitchen with his head down in defeat since he couldn't stop her. They entered the kitchen and his friends started asking questions.

"Who's this Ryou?" Yami asked.

"Guys, this is my cousin Seree, Seree, these are my friends Yami, Joey, Yugi, and Tristan." Ryou introduced them.

"Ryou, why didn't you just tell me you had company? It would've been easier than trying to stop me from coming downstairs." Seree asked.

"I didn't want you to scream like you did when you met my yami." Ryou answered.

"Your what?" Seree asked.

"Bakura." Ryou answered.

"Oh, well, this has been fun but I'll just take a bagel and head to the church; I've got some praying to do." Seree said, walking out the door.

Seree made it to the church and said her prayer; then she headed back to Ryou's. Unfortunately, she didn't realize that she was rather pretty and she was surrounded by three bullies on her way back.

"Lookie what we got here." One of the bullies said.

"A pretty little damsel in distress." The second bully continued.

"You're going to be the dorks in distress if you don't let me pass." Seree growled.

"Ooo, she's a feisty one." The third bully said.

Meanwhile, at Ryou's, Bakura came running down the stairs and into the kitchen in a panic.

"Bakura, what's wrong?" Ryou asked.

"Seree, she's in trouble." He gasped out.

"What are you talking about? How would you know that?" Ryou asked.

"I gave her a special bracelet as an apology for scaring her when she first arrived. The bracelet is connected with my millennium ring in the sense that if she's in danger the ring will start glowing white." Bakura answered.

"Then let's go find her!" Yami said, heading for the door with the others following close behind.

The group ran by the ally where they saw the most amazing thing, Seree used the element of earth to help her.

The bullies were crowding around her when she was heard calmly saying,

"Element of earth, be my guide, send these three to the other side."

The bullies were lifted by tree roots and thrown over the wall that Seree was backed against.

"Dorks." Seree said as she headed out of the ally.

Seree was surprised though when she saw Bakura, Ryou, and their friends gawking at her from the entrance to the ally.

"What, never seen anyone use magick before?" Seree asked teasingly as she walked by and returned to Ryou's.

The others walked in to see Seree eating a sandwich, and there were six other sandwiches around the table. Seree looked at them and asked,

"Well, are you going to join me for lunch and ask me questions? Or are you just going to stand there gawking at me?"

Ryou and his friends walked over and sat down each eating the sandwich in front of them.

"Yami, Bakura, why aren't you eating?" Seree asked.

"Well, technically, we don't need to eat because we're spirits." Bakura explained.

"Oh okay, well can you eat?" Seree asked.

"Yes." Yami and Bakura answered at the same time.

"Then please do." Seree said.

Yami and Bakura looked at each other and then sat down and they too ate. Yugi asked,

"So, what do you do for fun?"

"I usually practice witchcraft, but other than that, I worry about my mom." Seree answered.

"Why's that?" Yugi asked.

"My father has recently started drinking; he comes home and beats my mother. My mom sent me here to protect me from having to worry about being beaten." Seree explained.

"Oh, I'm sorry; I didn't mean to make you sad." Yugi apologized.

"Don't worry about it, I have a feeling I'll be living here for the rest of my life considering my mother, like me, is stubborn and won't ask for help even if her life depends on it." Seree forgave him.

It was at that very moment in America, that Seree's father had killed her mother, before he killed himself. In Japan, Seree felt a jolt to her heart and collapsed to the floor.

"Seree! Are you okay? What happened?" Ryou asked, rushing to her side.

"My mother, she's dead." Seree said, in pain.

"How do you know that?" Ryou asked.

"The ties between mother and daughter go a lot stronger than DNA between me and her." Seree answered as Ryou helped her to stand. "My mother and I are linked through the spirit world too." Seree finished.

As if on cue, the phone rang and the officer on the other line asked for Seree who took the phone and was told that not only was her mother killed, but her father was also. Seree explained why she was in Japan to begin with, and the officer took down notes. Seree was told that her uncle would be notified of what happened while he was in Egypt; and with that, Seree hung up the phone and ran back to her room slamming the door. Seree hit the bed and immediately started crying.

"Why, why couldn't my mother come with me?!" she asked herself angrily. "All I wanted was to live a happy life with my family; and now I feel so alone!" She continued her rant with her anger rising the entire time. "Why did my bastard father have to become a drunk?! Alcohol is a plague on society; I wish alcohol never existed!" She finished when her anger reached its peak and all the magick that she had obtained through the years exploded, making the entire house shake.

Ryou was with his friends downstairs when his house shook violently.

"Seree is pissed." Yami stated. "If my theory is correct, she must've been studying magick for years to have it explode like that and cause the house to shake." He finished

The group however, was not expecting what happened next; Seree's anger somehow reached the Shadow Realm, causing it to open. The monsters that belonged to Joey, Yugi, Ryou, Bakura, Yami, and Tristan immediately searched for their masters. The Dark Magician had no trouble finding Yami and Yugi.

"Master, what's going on? You didn't open the Shadow Realm." Dark asked.

"No, I didn't, but Ryou's cousin somehow did." Yami answered.

Dark looked confused. "But master, I thought only you or Bakura could open the realm."

"So did I." Yami said.

A scream from upstairs caught everyone's attention and Yugi, Yami, Ryou, Bakura, Joey, and Tristan ran towards Seree's room followed closely by Dark, Corazon (1), llama (2), and Cyber. They entered Seree's room to find her facing a Blue-Eyes.

"Master, that's one of the new Blue-Eyes that appeared in the Shadow Realm yesterday; he says his name is Diamante (3)." Dark explained to Yami.

Suddenly the Blue-Eyes spoke looking confused at Seree's actions.

"Master? What's wrong, I won't hurt you."

"Wait a minute; you're one of Seree's Blue-Eyes?" Joey asked.

(1.) Spanish word that means Heart, there's supposed to be an accent over the 'o'.

(2.) Spanish word for flame.

(3.) Spanish word that means Diamond.