Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ On Angel's Wings! ❯ Battle of Hearts! ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
On Angel’s Wings!

By Gogina



Disclaimer – See previous chapters.

On to the next chapter!


Chapter 8

Battle of Hearts!

Yami looked from Yugi, to Lucifer, then back again. Yugi’s grip on his sword was firm, but his hand was shaking slightly, something Yami wouldn’t have noticed if he hadn’t been studying his lighter half. Before Yami had a chance to say or do anything, Yugi took flight into the air, ignoring the howling wind and roaring rain that still pounded the earth. Metal once again clashed against metal as sounds of battle raged throughout the streets. Yami kept his gaze fixated on the scene, his heart clenching every time Yugi was attacked.

“You’re worthless, little Yugi,” Lucifer taunted. “Look how weak you are.”

His words were meaningless to the angel, however, due to his strong will. That is, until Lucifer’s next words.

“Do you honestly believe that he can ever love you?” he asked.

Yugi stopped in mid-air, eyes wide and body stiff as the words connected to his brain, allowing Lucifer enough time to deliver a crushing blow, sending the small being plummeting into the earth.

Do you honestly believe that he can ever love you?

Do you honestly believe that he can ever love you?

Lucifer’s words kept ringing in Yugi’s head. The young angel couldn’t deny that the devil was right.

YGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGO

“ What the-,” Yami breathed, getting a closer look at his light.

A being that he had never seen before was wrapping itself around the angel’s body. The strange creature had a hand posed in front of Yugi’s chest and, to Yami’s shock, plunged it deep into the his chest, causing a grimace to cover Yugi’s features. Immediately, Yami knew what was happening.

“Yugi!” he shouted, throwing himself away from the door and rushing out into the rain.

Said person turned to watch him run towards him, just as Yugi’s knees gave out. Lucifer laughed menacingly as Yami reached his fallen friend.

“Fear, get away from him!” Yami demanded from the being still clinging to the angel.

Fear lifted his head and, smiling, looked over at the former pharaoh.

“And who’s going to make me, demon?” he asked, tightening his grip on his prey.

I said, get away from him!

The force of Yami’s words shocked Fear, but he just smiled once more and continued to squeeze Yugi. Yami struggled to control the anger boiling inside of him, but it immediately turned to surprise when Fear’s eyes widened and he fell to the ground, withering in pain. Yami looked back up at Yugi, who still held his sword from where he had thrust it backwards to penetrate the demon’s skin. Holding his chest from where the evil being had wounded him, Yugi stood to his feet and faced Lucifer once more.

“That’s enough, Lucifer,” Yugi said, twirling his sword and extending his arm so the weapon was now in front of him, directly underneath his opponent’s chin. “Your games have gone on for far too long.”

Lucifer chuckled.

“But, Yugi, I thought you loved games,” he stated, waving his hand as another sword appeared. “I never figured you for a sore loser. Join me, little Yugi.”

Yugi breathing was becoming labored, but he remained standing on his own two feet, determined not to give up.

“No,” he wheezed, shaking his head, defiantly. “I’ll never join you! I’ll fight you with everything I have left in my body! Even if it kills me!” He hissed the last part and lunged at the devil.

Yami was about to join his friend when someone, or rather something, grabbed a hold of him.

“Pain,” he spoke the name venomously. “Let go.”

“Not a chance,” came the firm reply. “You’re not going anywhere.”

Yami smirked.

“That’s what you think,” he replied, grabbing the follower of Satan’s ‘hand’ and flinging the creature over his back.

Pain groaned, but didn’t rise again. A smirk crossed Yami’s lips, but that expression quickly changed when he turned back to glimpse Lucifer, his sword raised, about to plunge it into Yugi. Apparently, while Yami had been dealing with his demons (literally), Satan had managed to switch the duel around on Yugi. Yugi’s own sword lay a few feet away, just enough so it was out of reach of his hand. Yami watched in horror as Lucifer made to deliver the finishing blow.

Yugi’s eyes had been closed, waiting for the inevitable, which never came. Gathering the courage, the small angel forced himself to open his eyes. The tears came automatically as did the scream.

“YAMI!”

His darker half’s eyes were wide open, his hands gripping the sword that had embedded itself in his chest. He staggered a little, almost as if he was trying to regain his balance, before collapsing on his back in the dirt. Once again a strangled cry pierced the darkness, a horrid sound filled with remorse and fear.

“NO!”


A/N: (reads chapter, eyes wide) *sweatdrops*, um, oh boy. Did I really just write that? Hehe, well I hope you all still review. After all, you don’t really believe that that’s the end, do you? (wink)